Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Terminate421 said:
Thanks for the detailed answer. I was never trying to imply that Halo was a bad game. I've played through all of them (except ODST) and did have some fun at the time, I just didn't quite understand why it always generated a huge amount of hype around release dates. I think I assumed that fans were mostly the:

Emiscary said:
Just the 4th one? Halo is like introductory sci-fi/FPS for fratboys.
I don't agree with all of your points, but at least I see that there are some gamers who like the game, not just... ^ those guys.

sanguinator

Aug 23, 2010
i guess im the only person on the internet who appreciates the back story off halo? yeah? all right, i guess you would have to read the books. the story doesn't even slightly go into depth in the games. pick up the cole protocol. good book, and goes much deeper into the story than the games ever did.

as for why they are fighting covenant aliens again, basically ONI stirred up trouble with the aliens after the covenant was dissolved. jerks. they really aren't just pulling stuff out of their ass here. its all explained.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I dunno about you, but I was wigging out when I saw the trailer.
Halo is one of those special series that I get more excited about the store more than the gameplay or appearance. I am very very interested in what angle they are going to take, especially with the whole "isn't Cortana supposed to be going crazy by now?" thing.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Zenn3k said:
Korten12 said:
Zenn3k said:
Got bored with Halo after Halo 2. Can only play the same game so many times.
Not going to bother anymore...

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
You trying to argue against what I said or support it, I'm confused.

If the former: You point at stuff, you press button till it dies, if you get hurt, you hide till you are not hurt anymore. Walk from A to B.

MOST shooters are the same game, every COD is the same, every Halo is the same. The graphics might get nicer, but the gameplay remains the same.

You've never played a Halo game, I can tell from that statement, if you can explain the full plot to Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, I will believe you MAYBE. Now go back to your RTS's which are all the same or all your JRPG's which involve whiny teenagers.

It's not like they added:

New Weapons
New Health System
New Vehicles
New Methods of taking out vehicles besides shooting them
New enemies
New class based gameplay
New horde mode
New Custom game mechanics
4 Player Co-op
Space Combat
Theater mode
map editor

But no, its all the same. It always has been the same game. This is fact based your statement. All first person shooters are the same. This means that Half-life 2 is the exact clone to Call of Duty 4, according to your logic.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Am I the only guy that is confused. I thought Master Chief was in cyro on a spaceship wreck that was flying around in some other solar system. Can anyone catch me up on why he is on a planet in the trailer? Do we know yet?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
While I don't really see anything inherently wrong with that gameplay video, I don't really see anything 'right' either, the Forerunner AI looks pretty generic and the glowing skull reveal just presents a tonne of questions, the weapons are rather generic, and the world looks just like any other forest you'd see in a videogame, earth-evolved trees and all. I think it just doesn't live up to the expectation that grew out of the Forerunner legends. The way 343 talked about their weaponry being so much greater than yours, yet they turn out to be pretty standard, the enemies all have a very videogame-y feel to it, standard small swarm enemies, standard large enemy, standard miniboss...
And there's still no explanation about the suit. Why does he have a new HUD, new armour, new vision abilities? These better be explained.

Shotgun Guy said:
hopefully it will turn out to be a misunderstanding and a bunch of Covies are pissed at Chief for killing their troops and it will make him look like a murderous asshole. I don't think they'll actually do this but it is the only way I'd actively support fighting the Covenant and even then it'd better only be for a fraction of the game.
I would actually love them to do this, that would be an awesome early twist to pull out of the bag, especially if you could have it that the Chief kills Covenant forces all the way to the ship, and then arrives at it to find the humans and Covenant working together to defend it from the AI attackers. After a brief explanation from the crew that the war is over and peace was declared they mention reinforcements that should be arriving any moment now, and you realise you've killed them all.
It would really give the player a pause for thought early on in the game, and afterwards exploring an awkward stage of how exactly the Chief should react to explain why the reinforcements aren't coming, since he isn't really 'programmed' for compasion or thought on the battlefield, it would be a really interesting scenario.
The armor is the same, everything is just artisitc licesnes so to speak, 343i has a different style, and the upgraded vision is part of what Cortana added while he was in cryo.

And the bottum part won't happen, John gets woken up because Elites are boarding and when he sees them, they rush at him and attack him.

See, ONI wanted the Elites to fight a civil war throughtout Glasslands, and with information about one of the new covenant weapons on the site, they appeared to have succeeded. It is most likely this got leaked and thats why they're attacking.

Also the fact that many Humans still want blood for the war.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I wasn't underwhelmed. In fact, for a game I didn't even care about, I thought the demo did a good job of getting me interested. I thought the visuals looked great and I liked seeing new enemies for a change. However, it probably won't change my stance on Halo: love couch multiplayer but find the campaigns boring, so I'll just let me Halo-fan-friend buy it and play at his house.

Danne

Mar 7, 2012
Terminate421 said:
Zenn3k said:
Korten12 said:
Zenn3k said:
Got bored with Halo after Halo 2. Can only play the same game so many times.
Not going to bother anymore...

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
You trying to argue against what I said or support it, I'm confused.

If the former: You point at stuff, you press button till it dies, if you get hurt, you hide till you are not hurt anymore. Walk from A to B.

MOST shooters are the same game, every COD is the same, every Halo is the same. The graphics might get nicer, but the gameplay remains the same.

You've never played a Halo game, I can tell from that statement, if you can explain the full plot to Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, I will believe you MAYBE. Now go back to your RTS's which are all the same or all your JRPG's which involve whiny teenagers.

New Weapons
New Health System
New Vehicles
New enemies
New class based gameplay
New horde mode
4 Player Co-op
Space Combat
Theater mode
map editor

But no, its all the same. It always has been the same game. This is fact based your statement. All first person shooters are the same. This means that Half-life 2 is the exact clone to Call of Duty 4, according to your logic.
I'm starting to like this guy and his Owl.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I like Halo for the overarching story and the universe, that's what really means I will get this one. I cannot say that the game-play footage excited me that much, it's still the same old Halo when it comes down to it.

I will buy it, I am sure I will like it, but I am not expecting miracles.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
synobal said:
Am I the only guy that is confused. I thought Master Chief was in cyro on a spaceship wreck that was flying around in some other solar system. Can anyone catch me up on why he is on a planet in the trailer? Do we know yet?
I give you the Legendary ending to Halo 3.

Try around 2:50. Pretty sure that planet is the same planet that we saw in the first trailer. And I do believe that it was established at the beginning of Halo 3 that Chief can survive jumping off of a ship an reentering a planet's atmosphere.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
synobal said:
At the end of Halo 3, it showed the Master Chief nearing an unknown planet. In Halo 4 it starts out with you waking up 4 years later (coenciding with the legendary ending of 3) and the Covenant are attacking your ship (though oddly just Grunts, Elites, and Jackals) and are not wearing military grade gear.

After fighting your way you land inside the world, Reqiuem, which is a Forerunner Shieldworld. Probably a level inbetween that and the level shown in the trailer, or at least a long cutscene.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Robots? Meh, as far as a new enemy goes I'm not impressed. Bring back the flood (did I really just say that?)

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I'm still sore from Bungie duping everyone that Halo 2 wasn't the final game
I know, I know, but after that Halo died for me after Halo 3

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Underwhelming was the entire Microsoft conference in a nutshell. When you made Halo 4, Call of Duty BOS 2, and Gears of War 4(?) look boring and average, that has to be an achievement in something.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
I wouldn't call it underwhelming.

I'd call it Halo. It's doing nothing different in the way of game play mechanics that hasn't been done by the previous games in the franchise before. It's just Halo. It's another chapter in the story.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Terminate421 said:

New Weapons
New Health System
New Vehicles
New enemies
New class based gameplay
New horde mode
4 Player Co-op
Space Combat
Theater mode
map editor

I'd like to point out that something that people unfamiliar with cars (or at least viewers of top gear) will probably not get.

Just about every year or two Porsche comes out with a new 911. Every single part of it (just about) is replaced, and it usually runs a little better than the last, but for the most part it's the same old story.

Saying something is new is really only half true. It's been updated, is more accurate. Jetpacks, in Reach, were new for Halo. A UI interface with bars in slightly different locations? Updated. See the difference?

And even if it is better than previous titles (which it probably will be), it's pretty hard to get exited about what feels like a glorified software update.