Halo: Reach Will Punish Quitters, Says Bungie

Apr 29, 2010
Please tell me everyone who is bitching has actually taken the time to see what Vrex has posted. At first, I would have agreed with all those that are saying this sucks, but then, I decided to read what everyone else was saying, and that's when I saw what Vrex had posted. I don't know if people are still doing it, but I hope no one is jumping to any more conclusions.

Seriously people, take the time to read. Don't just post the first thing that pops up in your head because of the title of the thread or the OP. There is the chance whatever doubts you had were already answered by another poster.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
mad825 said:
sounds like a good idea however:

*ahem*
what if one has regular power cuts or one just so happens to have an ISP that provides a faulty connection?
it's designed to detect the differences between lagging out and intermittent power cuts as opposed to hitting start, leave game

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
They need implement something like in World of Warcraft Battlegrounds, if you quit, You have to wait 15 minutes before entering another game.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
mad825 said:

*ahem*
what if one has regular power cuts or one just so happens to have an ISP that provides a faulty connection?
it's designed to detect the differences between lagging out and intermittent power cuts as opposed to hitting start, leave game
ahh, but you misunderstood my tone.

I was suggesting that would cutting the internet connection or the power to the Xbox be a alternate way of leaving without any punishments

Apr 28, 2008
mad825 said:
mrdude2010 said:
mad825 said:

*ahem*

I was suggest that would cutting the internet connection or the power to the Xbox be a alternate way of leaving without any punishments
This system only affects people who quit, like, 10 times or more in a row. It won't punish normal people, just rampant quitters.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I hope it analyzes quitting behaviour to find those described in the original post.
If it does, I approve. Damn quitters!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Irridium said:
ja, I know but I was hoping to point out an oblivious flaw of the punishment system, a quitter can resort to my methods when needed

Apr 28, 2008
mad825 said:
Irridium said:
ja, I know but I was hoping to point out an oblivious flaw of the punishment system, a quitter can resort to my methods when needed
After a while the system will start stopping you from entering matchmaking for a set amount of time. Whether your power/internet cuts or you quit manually.

After 10 or so times the system will kick in. And if you do have legitimate problems ten times in a row, then you have other problems than playing a game of Halo.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
mad825 said:
mrdude2010 said:
mad825 said:

*ahem*

I was suggesting that would cutting the internet connection or the power to the Xbox be a alternate way of leaving without any punishments
i seee i thought you were jsut emphasizing those particular issues it's hard to detect tone through text... at the same time it's a lot more difficult to get up and walk over to your xbox, and it's definitely not good to just randomly yank cords so while it may be a way to avoid punishment it will still be more annoying for the person trying to quit

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
I'm amazed, honestly. You all (Save a few) seem to have not read the OP entirely let alone know what you're talking about at all. Skimming through the posts it almost seems like this is just blind hate towards Bungie and I am dissapointed. I go through the Bungie.net forums and I find idiots but I expect that. Now I find a forum on my favorite website where next to every post I read is just pure ignorance?

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
mad825 said:

*ahem*
Quits are done through a menu, I believe, where as a lack of connection aren't. It should be fairly easy for a system such as this to distinguish between the two.

OT: I for one think this a great idea. It isn't going to punish people who quit becuase they have stuff to do and have to leave on rare occasions, nor will it punish those who need to leave often, it'll punish people who leave at a disproportionate ratio, such as leaving every 40 games out of a hundred for example, y'know, the kind of thing found amongst the dreaded "greifers" and "rage quitters".

Like always, everyone but a small few are overacting about something that isn't a big deal in the slightest.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Woo....there's a lot of misinformation going around in this thread. First off, the bans will only be UP TO 20 MINUTES...not hours, not days, MINUTES. It's not a big deal. You quit a game to go eat, no action will be taken. You D/C once, nothing will happen. If you play casually, you won't give a shit about not being able to play for 20 minutes.

I approve of this. If you play ranked, leaving is just bad manner. It affects everyone else on your team, and with Bungie's trueskill system...that one loss is enough to mess you up for another 8 games if you were on a win streak.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Reaper69lol said:
They need implement something like in World of Warcraft Battlegrounds, if you quit, You have to wait 15 minutes before entering another game.
Um, that is what they are doing...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Aylaine said:
It'd be quite a reach if Bungie could alienate their fanbase anymore then they already have. >_>:

Honestly, this makes no sense. People should have the choice of quitting without consequence. It's a video GAME, not Video Professional Sport.
Haha, quite a reach. I see what you did there :)

OT: This is a very heavy handed and unnecessary response to a minor concern. Yes, it sucks when someone quits at a critical moment. But, if you are letting such a small issue bothering you, you probably aren't playing on a server/group/whatever with friends who won't quit without telling you.

Random people on the internet are jerks sometimes. I say deal with it and go back to shooting the people who didn't quit your game. We don't need to make gaming more elitist than it already is.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I've always disliked Halo... Now I feel more justified than ever. Bungie has shot themselves in the foot with this one. How can anyone even think this nonsense is a good idea.

What about those who squeeze games in to small amounts of free time and can't finish a match due to time constraints?

What about those who have dodgy internet connections?

What if you don't like the server and simply want to leave without finishing a match?

There are just far too many legitimate reasons for quitting, and I think Bungie is stupid to ignore them.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
This discussion is not progressing as I already pointed out. My argument remains unchanged in spite of your perception. Your argument has done the same. Neither of us has brought sufficient evidence to the party to convince the other side. The reason is simple enough - my argument is based on the fear of potential punitive punishment for leaving a game and your argument is based off the (presumably common) experience of having players leave the game early. In both cases, it's an argument born for an emotional response to a problem. Of course, my fear may be unfounded - it isn't as if I'm going to rage quit a game and then hop right back into another one after all.

To put this as simply as possible, while I recognize the validity of your argument and can understand that this avenue overs a potential solution to the apparent problem of pandemic proportions, I do not think it even attempts to address the root cause of the problem. It may be as you say: that the root cause cannot be solved and damage mitigation is all we can hope for. Moreover, it may turn out that the number of quits allowed is on the order of one or so a day, in which case I can claim no issue. If a game makes me quit twice in a day, I probably don't need to be playing it.

It is precisely that threshold that concerns me. Beyond that, if the problem is as widespread as this thread would make it appear, then it is likely that the problem is not a relative minority that habituatally quit games time and again; instead, it suggests that the problem is that many people quit the game sometime. If this presumption is true, I would hope my concern is invalid for the reason I already pointed out as delivering regular bans to a significant portion of the player base is almost certainly not a winning strategy for the game.

When all is said and done, in spite of the unusual spite this argument has drawn, I respect your position. I just don't hold the entertainment of others any higher than my own. You're in the same position it would seem as your argument is based on your entertainment being diminished. I have never been in your position in Halo but it's happened plenty of times in Dawn of War 2 or Battlefield or even Tribes back in the dark ages of dial-up. In some games the problem self corrects: battlefield allows people to join a game in progress for example. In others, the loss of a team mate lasts the entire round - I assume as a byproduct of the ranked game system. Besides, if there are many potential solutions to such a problem, I hardly think reaching for the banhammer, the weapon of last resort of moderation of the internet, should be the first or only step.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The amount of times I've had to leave games because something happens (At first, being forced offline by parents, now the internet is on crack, or work calls and suddenly needs me) is amazing. However, since I grew up and realise that playing with a group of close friends all within crotch-shot range, as opposed to playing with people I don't know in another country, is a million times more fun, I hardly play on actual Live anymore.

And again, since I grew up, I hardly ever play Halo....

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
FlyAwayAutumn said:
I'm amazed, honestly. You all (Save a few) seem to have not read the OP entirely let alone know what you're talking about at all. Skimming through the posts it almost seems like this is just blind hate towards Bungie and I am dissapointed. I go through the Bungie.net forums and I find idiots but I expect that. Now I find a forum on my favorite website where next to every post I read is just pure ignorance?
You may or may not usually get intelligent posts at The Escapist.. in most topics. When it comes to anything Halo related, however, you should know to expect the vast majority of posts to be blind and uneducated flaming and/or trolling.