Harbinger of Putrefaction: A Warhammer 40K Space Hulk RP

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The massive histories are intimidating to say the 'least :p. I'll get a character sheet up hopefully by the end of this week.

EDIT: Please tell me if it needs to be done sooner.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
OMG this is awesome. Does the Characters sheet have to be spoilered or anything or van I just write it? I've been playing 40k characters in WAOA but a Space Hulk is just too tasty to resist. Is Tactical Dreadnought Armour allowed?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Much as I'd prefer it not to be, I don't have enough characters to run it.
Hmm, I had assumed it had been dropped because no reply to my PM came. If you had replied I would have finished the History :/. Hell I'll finish it anyway. Who knows if more people join?

EDIT:See :p?

PlastikBulb

Mar 21, 2012
I am keen to see this work, Space Vikings. IN SPEEHHHHSSSSSSS.

Yeah. I'll write up a sheet for this tomorrow at somepoint.

We can rebuild it.

We have, The IMPERIUM OF MAN!

T0BB0

Jul 14, 2009
I'll submit a character sheet over the weekend. I'll freely admit now though, that I've never RP'd on the Escapist Forums before. I used to forum and in-game RP back when I played WoW years ago, and I've read the post about Escapist RP guidelines, but if I make an error or faux pas, don't hesitate to call me up on it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Would a tech marine be an acceptable character? Someone needs to handle the vital schematics we might find

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Hmmm, after repeatedly telling myself tht I'm too busy to handle another RP, I think that this is just too good an opportunity to pass up, will post a character sheet soon, hopefully. Until then, may the Emperors light shine upon you.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Here goes my shot, let me know if I have horribly mangled the lore.

Name: Gabriel Lemaseus

Squad Role: Epistolary

Chapter: Blood Angels

Wargear: Lemaseus carries little in the way of ranged weaponry, opting instead to focus upon he battle of mind and muscle. He carries a bolt pistol, and a force mace dubbed "Angel's Wrath". The bolt pistol is simple by standards of astartes weaponry, carrying no extra adornments, being well worn, though in good repair. The mace, by contrast, is a weapon that has been decorated with purity seals, and engraved with the words "Honor, Faith, Fury". The mace has been kept among the sons of Sanguinius for hundreds of years, with each weilder adding to its deeds and decoration. Forged for the use of the chapters Librarians in ages long since gone, it has since been passed down through the centuries, before being granted to Lemaseus for his actions against the Ruinous powers, and in recognition of his role as a Librarian.

He wears the standard power armor of an Astartes, although instead of a helmet, he wears a psychic hood. Upon his gauntlets, the Litanies of Devotion and Hatred have been inscribed, wih their words reaching up his forearms. The rest of his armor is similarly adorned, with each He does carry a helmet, although he often opts to go bareheaded, judging that a wider field of vision is more important than personal safety. Overtop his armor he wears a blue and gold tabard, denoting his role as Librarian and rank as Epistolary.

Beneath his armor, although he has the elegance of a son of Sanguinius it has been marred by scars acquired through the centuries of combat, as well as a generally grim disposition, as a result of his battle with the Rage, the Thirst, and the struggle of the warp.

Skills: One of the Epistolaries of the Blood Angels, he studies under Mephiston, Lord of Death, and has learned much through his centuries of service. He has developed into a capable and powerful psyker, although his focus is primarily upon the offensive. However, such strength is not enough, and he has trained himself in the use of his mace, using it to crush any foe who closes to melee range. He uses these two abilities most heavily, largely forgoing the use of projectile weapons, viewing his melee and psychic prowess as a suitable alternative.

History: Recruited from among the tribesmen of Baal's moons, he was initially but one of many among the aspirants. However, as the numbers lessened, among the larger, stronger, and faster tribesmen, there was one of the smaller aspirants who refused to drop out under the strain, throwing himself at challenges set before him, with manic fury. Eventually successful, he was inducted into the ranks of the neophytes of the chapter, where his psychic potential was realized. He was inducted into the ranks of the Librarians, and here he began his rise through the ranks of the Blood Angels.

Since his induction, he has fought in wars across countless worlds. Most notably he fought in the Second War for Armaggedon, and against the Tyranids of Hive Fleet Behemoth (Wiki says that some Blood Angels fought there, not being that well versed in the lore myself, I'll trust it). He earned distinction in both these conflicts for his bravery, most notably at the Battle of Macragge, where he stood with Marneus Calgar and the Ultramarines at Cold Steel Ridge, until the final evacuation before the crushing weight of tyranid forces.

In his centuries of service, he has acquired a reputation as a brutal and uncompromising warrior, eschewing the grace and speed of a sword or spear for the crushing power of a mace, and focusing his psychic training upon that which would allow him to not only kill the Imperium's foes, but to destroy them utterly. He has been compared to others warriors of more aggression chapters, but none would doubt his devotion to the ideals of Sanguinius, the Emperor and the Blood Angels, for his battlefield brutality is very nearly matched by his devotion to the ideals of the Imperium.

In this manner he would have been content to continue serving, but for a psychic vision he received during the purging of an Ork infestation. He saw himself, clad in the armor of the Deathwatch, standing beside others, likewise armored, fighting against Xenos armies. Certain that it was the will of the Emperor, he asked to stand Vigil among the Brothers of the Deathwatch, a request that was granted, for now he stands against the armies of Xenos

T0BB0

Jul 14, 2009
Apologies for the lateness, lotta RL things came up and distracted me from writing, but they're over now and I'm free to commit to this.

Name: Andreo Ramirez

Chapter: Crimson Fists

Wargear: Wearing the tactical dreadnaught armour of the Deathwatch, jet black with the navy coloured shoulderpad of his chapter, he stands as the immovable object against the tide of inhuman filth. His armour is simplistic and functional, a number of purity seals dot the chest and shoulders. The most distinguishing feature on his armour, apart from the chapter colours, is the colouration of the details. All silver components of his armour, the winged skull across his chest, his left arm and the raised edges of each plate are somehow brighter and more vibrant than is standard. A metaphorical man may compare it to the darkness of the universe being illuminated by the faith and strength of humanity. His battle brothers however, will know it as a challenge. "Come at me, xenos"

For this mission, he has decided upon his personal assault cannon dubbed The Voice of Dorn. Shortened, quicker to spin up and immensely powerful, the most memorable property of this weapon is the astounding noise, the ferocity of the weapon is second only to the marine who weilds it. The shortened barrel length makes this weapon more manoeuvrable within the tight confines of a Space Hulk and the quickened spin time allows Ramirez to respond rapidly to ambushes. Along each barrel of the weapon, the chapter rally cry is etched: "He is our shield and protector".

To counterbalance this immense firepower, Ramirez choses his personal power fist, the symbol of his chapter. As he generally prefers to be away from the melee, the power fist is typically used as a "skeleton key", which is to say he will punch any door open, whether it is locked, seized, welded, or if it is actually just a wall. That is not to say he is averse to close quarters fighting; he certainly does take immense glee in holding a Xenos head in his grasp and crushing it to bone fragments and gore.

History: The history of Ramirez begins during his years as a scout within the Crimson Fists. The chapter were crusading through the Loki sector, diving into Ork infested planets and assisting in relamation in the name of the Emperor. During this time, one visit to the armory left him holding a heavy bolter in his grasp. He then used this weapon to massive effect when spearheading attacks, using his covering fire to pin down Ork groups as his fellow Scouts advanced and destroyed the positions. He also proved his worth as a killing machine when defending the planetary capital against the Ork retaliation; standing side by side with his brother marines in the Devastator squads, his kill total matched his far more experienced brothers point for point through the battle.

When he was promoted to the rank of full battle brother, he was offered the chance to move into a Devastator squad position with hopes to use his natural ability to great effect. He declined without reason, instead chosing to become heavy support in the more agile Tactical squads. Some said he chose this to become more involved in the front lines, to bring the Emperors wrath to the Xeno hordes personally. Others say he simply despised not being the loudest one with the greatest firepower.

It was difficult to determine which of these rumours held true when he distinguished himself during the battle for Rynn's world. On one hand, he proved highly capable during the hit and run, surgical striking nature that was required of the Crimson Fists still remaining. For hours on end he would spit rightous fury over enemy defensive positions, providing covering fire for allied movements and allowing them to get into ambushing positions to wipe out important targets with minimal casualties. On the other hand, he was particularly noteworthy for his uncanny ability to shoot -at- cover until it was completely destroyed, churning up dozens of greenskin bodies and organs in the process. Local legends say he once used his heavy bolter to raze an entire Orkish stronghold to the ground. Others say it was the force of his rageful bellows that did it. Ramirez denies neither.

Shortly after the planet was recovered, Ramirez was granted Terminator Honours for his astounding accomplishments and was equipped with an Assault Cannon even more capable of violence than his famed heavy bolter. He did not have long to enjoy this honor before another was thrust upon him. The Crimson Fists received a call from the Deathwatch, to impart their knowledge on fighting and killing the Orkish filth. Despite their severely reduced numbers, the Crimson Fists are strikingly loyal to the Imperium and Ramirez volunteered the call, wishing to take his armour and weapons to the doorstep of Xeno filth and blast them to oblivion.

I know you said earlier that heavy weapons weren't likely to be accepted, but there were a few melee guys and I wanted to mix things up a bit. Lemme know if you want anything changed.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Code:
DEATHWATCH RECOMMENDATION REPORT

BROTHER-BANIEL

NOTES ON CHOICE OF BLACK SHIELD CAN BE FOUND IN EACH SECTION.

NAME: Baniel

CHAPTER: Flesh-Tearers (BLACK SHIELD).

WARGEAR: Despite severing ties with his former Chapter, the Flesh Tearers, he insisted on bringing his Tactical Dreadnought Armour, and associated weapons, with him. Why he didn't bring the rest of his venerated wargear, I do not know for sure.[footnote]It is possible he didn't want to bring any more wargear than necessary from his former chapter. The lack of Crux Argentum, despite his outstanding action at [i]Mirian[/i], suggests a counter-resentment from the chapter as well.[/footnote]

In traditional Deathwatch style his armour is black, with the only exception from the norm being his right shoulder-pauldron sporting black instead of his Chapter Insignia. This shows his posistion as a Black Shield. On his breast-plate, and the back of his chest-top, the words [i]Ira Albus[/i] are inked. [i]Ira Albus[/i] means white rage.[footnote]It is likely that it is meant to contrast with the black rage his chapter is heavily-cursed with. This further reinforces his resentment of his chapter[/footnote]

In his left-arm he wields his modified power-fist the [i]Ira Tempero; Comminus[/i] or as it was nicknamed by his battle-brothers the Soft Fist. Needless to say, Baniel heavily resented it however the same could be said for his preferred name. [i]Ira Tempero; Comminus[/i] means controlled or moderate rage; close combat.[footnote]Further reinforces the contrast with his chapter. His comrades most likely found it insulting to the Flesh Tearers as part of their culture was to be blood-thirsty. This is the most likely reason for its nickname.[/footnote]It is modified to have its entire energy out-put doubled so he doesn't need to afflict as many blows.[footnote]There was a rumour among his battle-brothers that he chose this modification so the risk of falling victim to the Black Rage was reduced which was, presumably, offensive. Whether or not it was intentional, his modification was the logical thing to do taking to account his method of combat. See more under:SKILLS[/footnote]

In his right-arm he wields his Assault Cannon [i]Ira Tempero; Disto[/i] or as nicknamed by his battle-brothers the Cold Gun. [i]Disto[/i] means distance. The weapon was, presumably, nicknamed so because Baniel modified it to have a slower rate-of-fire to prevent overheating.

SKILLS: Unlike his former comrades, Baniel is a calm and thinking warrior; he does not subject himself to the rage. He uses every blow sparingly, only striking when and where it would do the most damage. This melee tactic proved incredibly useful when he acquired his power fist as it was a slow, yet powerful weapon.

Likewise, with his Assault Cannon, he does not spray the enemy with torrents of bullets and instead opts to fire bursts when and where it would be the most damaging. Even when providing covering fire he does not let loose and instead fires bursts at random intervals.[footnote]His covering fire is notorious so it is unknown whether this is actually effective. For now it would be wise to ignore the bias and see for myself.[/footnote]

HISTORY: LARGELY OMITTED FOR SECURITY REASONS.

BATTLE OF SPACE HULK MIRIAN.

It was during a routine patrol when an Imperial Destroyer squad encountered the remains of the [i]Mirian[/i], a thought-to-be-lost Battleship of the Imperial Navy. They immediately reported their discovery to their flagship and the message was passed on to the Adeptus Astartes. How they would handle it was up to them. Unsurprisingly, the task of clearing out the Space Hulk was given to the Blood Angels chapter, famous for their skill in operating in such environments. Although the task was given to the Blood Angels, they offered any second-founding Blood Angels chapter a chance at clearing the Space Hulk with them. This was a bold attempt to strengthen ties with each other that would prove largely successful.

Within weeks, the Blood Angels forces mobilized and arrived at the Space Hulk. The Flesh Tearers, being low on numbers themselves, only sent in a Terminator Squad and a Veteran Squad accompanied by a Chaplain. Baniel had the suppourt role, armed with his Assault Cannon and Power Fist mentioned above. They were deployed alone at the centre of the Space Hulk, tasked with eliminating any hostile forces. To any other chapter it would have been offensive but the Flesh Tearers did not care for to them it only meant more enemies to kill. Upon entering the Space Hulk itself they were met by genestealers. After finishing the initial waves with ease, they moved deeper and deeper into the derelict.

As they moved deeper, they became more and more savage. Before they knew it, half their squad was suffering from serious symptoms of the black rage. They were muttering mindlessly about their primarch Sanguinius and Baniel knew that if they went any deeper they would be doomed. He suggested to the Sergeant that they should hold their position and wait for reinforcements. Completely ignoring him, he instructed the squad to continue advancing. Baniel had no choice but to obey and followed the squad. 

Eventually a vox-link was established and the Chaplain ordered the Sergeant to hold his squad's position. By now he was almost completely lost and only managed to form a reply of slurs. Not wishing for his Sergeant to be disgraced, Baniel slammed the walls of the hulk, inviting all nearby genestealers to their position. What was supposed to be a short-engagement turned into a long tedious one as the combination of his assault cannon and the brutality of his battle-brothers fought off the genestealers horde. As the bodies began to pile up, they were forced into the centre of the room they were in. Even the ferocity the black rage gave his brothers wasn't enough to fight through the lifeless genestealer husks. Soon, only four remained and two of them were devoured by the rage. Not only did they attack the genestealers, they attacked each other. The Sergeant, after tearing through the almost indestructible Tactical Dreadnought armour, turned on Baniel and the other last sane battle-brother. Baniel was fighting off both the genestealers and his warped Sergeant. Miracously, the Chaplain's veteran squad arrived and cleared the room of genestealers. It was Baniel's own soft fist that delivered the killing blow to his Sergeant. How Baniel managed to defeat his own Sergeant that was invested in the Black Rage, no one is sure.

After Space Hulk [i]Mirian[/i], Baniel joined the DeathWatch and became a Black Shield. Whether this was overdue or the last straw is not known.
The Sheet, aside from the History, is mostly the same from the PM I sent you.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Hm.

T0BB0, Nouw, your characters serve identical tactical purposes on the squad - Terminator /w Assault Cannon & Power Fist. Would one of you be willing to alter that? I'd prefer not to have identically equipped characters on the team.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Hm.

T0BB0, Nouw, your characters serve identical tactical purposes on the squad - Terminator /w Assault Cannon & Power Fist. Would one of you be willing to alter that? I'd prefer not to have identically equipped characters on the team.
I'm assuming the lack of comment on my character sheet means it's not terrible xD. Would a Flamer replacement do or does it have to be a more radical change?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Perhaps a standard-run-of-the-mill Terminator with a Storm Bolter and a Power Fist? A Cyclone is tempting but I don't think it'd work so well in a Space Hulk :p.