Has NASA Made First Contact?

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
You know how it is. We meet aliens. We start diplomatic relations. We sell them weapons, We sudenly discover they are hiding weapons of mass destruction our inteligence services tell us they are planing to use against us. We start a war with them on the pretence of giving there people democracy then we steal all there oil. If they had any sense they would stay the F£$k away from us unless they have giant space guns and are immune to the common cold.:)

sinestro1940

Nov 26, 2009
We all want some cool, awesome alien species that are intelligent and let us live like we're in Mass Effect, but in all reality, it'll probably just be some bacteria they found on Uranus :/.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
If it's alien life or first contact, I call it now: They're Zergling (or Zergling-Esque) and they will conquer us in Days unless we construct additional Barracks. If it's Amoeba's and stuff like that, let's hope it doesn't give us all a deadly disease were Cannibalism is the only solution to survive. If it's Amino Acids... There isn't anything bad about Amino Acids... Fudge. Regardless, I am looking forward to Thursday now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Probably has something to do with the recent detection of a possible earth-like planet on a nearby star.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Mr Companion said:
Wow thats my birthday! Clearly its my destiny to be the new administrator of city 17!

Merkavar said:
i hope they are sexy aliens.
I wonder which sexy intergalactic smurfs it will be? Asari or Navii? Im taking bets!
Well I have a kind of fetish for quarians so...

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
There's not gonna be life. There's not gonna be any bacteria.
Here's what NASA would do if they had found life:
"HEYYY EVERBUDDY! WE FOUND LIFE! WOOP WOOOP!"

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
:D I am very much looking forward to finding out what it is they've got.

It sounds pretty cool.... Go science!

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Wolf Devastator said:
So no one here has mentioned that we will no longer have any shuttles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2482-Once-Upon-a-Time-in-The-Future] to respond to this imminent alien threat?! Hmmm... actually, who wants to guess that they were holding out on this discovery in case there were 'budget cuts', and now that they have no shuttles they'll be like "oh, and by the way we discovered an alien civilization inside mars, ummm.... yesterday. We need our space shuttle program back D:!!!

(not sure if this was already mentioned in the 'user-made' thread, but meh)
Truth of the matter is, I don't think any alien would be well-advised to get on Earth's bad side... We still have enough firepower to blow our own planet to bits several times over, and the means of delivery are essentially the same stuff we use to put satellites into space.

Also, concerning the Wow-Signal they caught some years ago: It's exciting, but could have been anything. Though I doubt that any intelligent extraterrestrial race catching the Arecibo-message would go "hey, it's a coded message from another world!" but rather "Hey, Jim, the radio telescope is broken again, mind fixing it?"

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Ideal: they sent a transmission towards the nearest neighboring star system, and the response they got back was "Leave us alone, you right-wing lunatic fucks."

Truth of the matter is, I don't think any alien would be well-advised to get on Earth's bad side... We still have enough firepower to blow our own planet to bits several times over, and the means of delivery are essentially the same stuff we use to put satellites into space.
That's adorable.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
No they haven't.

I wish they had, but they haven't. If they had, they'd be SHOUTING it from the rooftops.

Crimsonsniper

Nov 20, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
tellmeimaninja said:
I think we should find turians. I like turians.
yay first contact war?
It's more the peacemaking afterwards that pleases me.
The peacemaking and the chafing. Ooooohhh yeeeaaahhh!
They can use my conduit anyday. ; )

/innuendo. Start the real thing.
Do you reckon the female turians come with chafing issues too?
Turians are worth any amount of chafing.
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:

These guys.
This picture makes this thread better.
Garrus makes anything better.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.

... still awesome.
If it is I will personally donate my agar dish to the cause.

OT: Perhpas, even if it is new life the chances of it being multicellular are small, and the possability of it being sentient is slimmer still. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Person342

Jun 7, 2010
Scabadus said:
I doubt it'll be a planet "simply" capable of supporting life, pretty much any can do that (it just won't be life 'as we know it (Jim)'. If it's a planet it'll be more news of an "Earth Like" planet in the green zone, capable of supporting liquid water and life that metabolises using oxygen. I'm thinking the press conferance will be about a new rover or mabey a new peice of equipment for a rover capable of analysing soil for individual bacteria scale aliens.

Though on the plus side, if it IS aliens, they're probably sentient. Think about it: we havn't sent out any space flights for a while, so if we had the technology to find alien bacteria with the probes already out there we'd have done so by now. Better technology is still here on Earth, unlaunched. Ergo, any aliens we just found would have had to have responded to radio broadcasts! Mabey traveling here by hyperspace!

But yeah, rover. But hyperspace! But rover. :(
and i bet these aliens are reading this right now...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
mad825 said:
when people hear the word "extraterrestrial life", why do people ignorantly think of the gray aliens?

Unless it's mentioned about the extraterrestrial life being intelligent, all it's going to be it micro-organisms or something similar.
Because it's more fun? Interesting? Because people like to imagine things (should they posess an imagination that is), no matter how unlikely it may be?

Sure, it will end up being space bacteria or soemthing mundane like that, but until that grand reveal, it's more fun to think of the "what ifs". For now, let's leave the alien bacteria to the bods at NASA. And the boring people.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.

... still awesome.
Why it must be "primitive" bacteria.
If it's orgin is outter space then it could been evolving for trillion of years.