Has NASA Made First Contact?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
It's probably not actually first contact.

Years ago, SETI found a bunch of radio transmissions out in space that could not be natural phenomenon (or were highly unlikely to have naturally occurred). It was just a couple of blips to the untrained ear, but they were sure they found something amazing. Then they lost the signal, and have been spending all this time trying to find it again. This could just be them announcing that they found it again.

Even if they did find the radio transmissions, the source area where they first detected them was thousands of lightyears away, so in otherwords, we'll never realistically meet the people (or humanoid bug aliens) that sent out the transmission.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
So no one here has mentioned that we will no longer have any shuttles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2482-Once-Upon-a-Time-in-The-Future] to respond to this imminent alien threat?! Hmmm... actually, who wants to guess that they were holding out on this discovery in case there were 'budget cuts', and now that they have no shuttles they'll be like "oh, and by the way we discovered an alien civilization inside mars, ummm.... yesterday. We need our space shuttle program back D:!!!

(not sure if this was already mentioned in the 'user-made' thread, but meh)

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
I ain't getting my hopes up. If there was actually any real first contact, someone at NASA would have gotten excited and already leaked something to the press.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Maybe this'll convince the government to provide actual funding to NASA!

Digikid said:
Anyone with half a brain would know that there is life out there besides us.
I hope the present owner of the sun doesn't try to burn them to a crisp with her new-found powers before we can talk to them.

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Duffeknol said:
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.
Not awesome, still a giant leap.
NOT AWESOME???!!! Proof of life beyond our own? How is that not the most ground breaking and awesome discovery in the past 1000 years? If you are not in awe from the prospect of Alien life then you are the most cynical person I have met. If there was verified proof of alien bacteria I would break down and weep in joyous wonder.

To add to the growing list of Sci-Fi based possible announcements maybe they've found a message in the Cosmic Background Radiation that points to inteligence from the beginning of time and space.
I think the really interesting thing would be if they weren't based on the same dna as life on earth. Not that finding extraterrestrial bacteria wouldn't be interesting anyways.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah...chances are it will be bacteria or such discovered on one of our solar system planets.

But who knows...maybe not.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
There's a Starman waiting in the sky he'd like to come and meet us but NASA won't let him......

It's going to be something boring like that the moon causes moon cancer

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Please let it be amino acids, please let it be amino acids, please let it be amino acids...

Espsychologist

Sep 30, 2010
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
tellmeimaninja said:
I think we should find turians. I like turians.
yay first contact war?

I want it to be elcor, because that is the only way I am ever watching a production of Hamlet.
QFT; an elcor production would be more entertaining than Wrestlemania between world leaders...held at the U.N.!

OT: Space travel and exploration is the future of the entire world. How in the blue FUCK can any leader in his/her/its right mind (perhaps I'm thinking too highly of the current illustrious meat puppet in charge of the U.S.) decide to dismantle NASA?!?

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
Sigh, damn it NASA, stop remninding me of how boring this time is D: I remember how little interesting stuff happens when they go all ''OHSHITGUYS, WE FOUND SOMETHING!'' then ''OHSHITOSHITOSHIT, IT WAS, LIKE HINTS! We found a hint that there might have been a bacteria taking a shit somewhere on mars at a time looooong before we existed! ISN'T THAT EXCITING?!?!?''

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Even some simple bacteria would still be awesome. Just the thought of life outside of our planet makes me really excited, though I'm sure I'll be disappointed because it's probably just some new way for searching life in space or something like that.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Nevermind, it's probably just some alien who crashed his ship on Titan on his way to earth to deliver a message. He probably spends his time erecting statues and being a co-conspirator in an interplanetary war with an ultimate aim to unify humanity and eradicate all of the negative attributes of our species. Cookie for reference...

Still, bacterial life anywhere else in the solar system would be an astounding discovery! Whoever did it can expect Nobel prizes in every category (sans peace and lit, but those are for retards and pretentious people respectively), as well as having several universities named after themselves. A shame I've got classes on Thursday...

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
It'll definitely force the better part of humanity to make a big leap because most (if not all) mainstream religions abolish the idea of extraterrestrial life. But once we get past that, things can only get better.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, it can't be the first contact, that's not due until April 4th 2063!

But I'm expecting something newsworthy if even gaming sites announce a NASA press conference.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NASA made contact 20 years ago. This is probably just an announcement that they found soemthing mundane. Nobody will ever know the truth.