Has NASA Made First Contact?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

"No-one would have believed, in the first years of the twenty first century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No-one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us."

I, for one, welcome our new galactic overlords.
You have no idea how epic you are. This is the second time I've given you this cookie filled TARDIS.

I freaking LOVE that album!

OT: I will treat aliens as I do all new people I meet...with caution until I have guaged their intentions, personality, demeanor, etc.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
If NASA discovered alien life, and decided to wait a few days so they could announce it at a news conference vaguely described as relating to the search for life, I will eat my hat.

Ultratwinkie said:
we knew about alien bacteria for years. it isn't alien bacteria.
Uh, no we haven't. We found vague formations in rocks that looked like fossilized bacteria on Mars several years ago, but they disproved that, and that's the closest we've come to alien life since.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
Wolf Devastator said:
So no one here has mentioned that we will no longer have any shuttles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2482-Once-Upon-a-Time-in-The-Future] to respond to this imminent alien threat?! Hmmm... actually, who wants to guess that they were holding out on this discovery in case there were 'budget cuts', and now that they have no shuttles they'll be like "oh, and by the way we discovered an alien civilization inside mars, ummm.... yesterday. We need our space shuttle program back D:!!!

(not sure if this was already mentioned in the 'user-made' thread, but meh)
Truth of the matter is, I don't think any alien would be well-advised to get on Earth's bad side... We still have enough firepower to blow our own planet to bits several times over, and the means of delivery are essentially the same stuff we use to put satellites into space.

Also, concerning the Wow-Signal they caught some years ago: It's exciting, but could have been anything. Though I doubt that any intelligent extraterrestrial race catching the Arecibo-message would go "hey, it's a coded message from another world!" but rather "Hey, Jim, the radio telescope is broken again, mind fixing it?"
So, we can blow ourselves up really well? wow...... that will show those pesky aliens. As for our space combat capabilities, I wont be holding my breath.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Well, this is exciting, sort of. They probably just found alien bacteria on Mars or something, but it could be more interesting than that.

Personally, I'm with Stephen Hawking on this one; aliens are probably jerks like us, and I want nothing to do with them.

gee666

One Sad Act
Nov 10, 2009
well all the astrobiology people at NASA will be participating,it will be some kind of discovery, not sure about a planet as one was found back in september orbiting Gilese 581 so not big news, if it was first contact would it not be a presidential thing? bacteria, a few claims have been made before and there have been fossils soooooooooo, i'm betting they have found a planet that they know has either water and or oxygen, think they were trying to use light wavelengths to detect this

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
I can imagine:

NASA: "We found aliens, they sent us a postcard! Look!"
*Mass panic ensues.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Duffeknol said:
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.
Not awesome, still a giant leap.
NOT AWESOME???!!! Proof of life beyond our own? How is that not the most ground breaking and awesome discovery in the past 1000 years? If you are not in awe from the prospect of Alien life then you are the most cynical person I have met. If there was verified proof of alien bacteria I would break down and weep in joyous wonder.

To add to the growing list of Sci-Fi based possible announcements maybe they've found a message in the Cosmic Background Radiation that points to inteligence from the beginning of time and space.
we knew about alien bacteria for years. it isn't alien bacteria.
Since when? That's news to me. Extra-terrestrial life? I thought it'd be in the papers.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
As long as the meeting is not held by the PM of UK aboard a UNIT air carrier, we should be good

...Actually I bet its something along the lines of a planet or maybe a warped radio signal, but I really hope its something exciting so I can show the article to that prick who keeps saying God made us as his only children

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

"No-one would have believed, in the first years of the twenty first century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No-one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us."

I, for one, welcome our new galactic overlords.
This, would be awesome, and lead to many fellow music/scfi aficiandos singing Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I for one, am hoping for the discovery of:

That or some f*cking Prothean ruins.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Scabadus said:
Icehearted said:
Maybe we should hold off on wanting to have sex with anything until...
I don't get it.
Someone had said they'd hoped these aliens were sexy, I was commenting on the peril of inter-species dating before we have more facts. What's not to get? Seriously though, what is it with our species and probing things (or being probed for that matter)?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Since when? That's news to me. Extra-terrestrial life? I thought it'd be in the papers.
it was a couple years back, scientists found a meteor from mars that had bacteria
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6660045/Bacteria-from-Mars-found-inside-ancient-meteorite.html

i think theyve found some on titan too

Rune Kristiansen

Oct 6, 2010
Ithera said:
As for our space combat capabilities, I wont be holding my breath.
Space combat? Lobbing missiles at incoming aircraft would be more like it. Who here wanna bet some alien warmachine-pilot has the skills to pilot their flying saucer halfway across the galaxy and wage war on mankind, but haven't figured out how to do a dodge roll? (=

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
If it's not a creature as cool as batman, NASA is an official waste of money to me
You do know that stuff like the Laptop and Cellphones were delevoped because of the research and tech NASA helped create? They needed smaller tech into the shuttles back then, they made it, and slowly the industry was built around it. They're well worth the money they're given.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
If it's not a creature as cool as batman, NASA is an official waste of money to me
Well seeing as how there is no creature as cool as Batman I'm afraid you're in for disappointment.

In all seriousness I'm super excited for this, hopefully it'll be solid proof for people who deny there has to be other life out there.