Hating Dark Souls?

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Rem45 said:
Jodah said:
I'm not the OP but I beat the "lava spider" with only spells, didn't melee her once. In fact, I found it more difficult when I did try to melee her the first time.
I meant with pyromancy...I met a guy that was around lvl 70 that barely did damage to it with pyromancy. I was targeting pyromancy specifically because the OP seems to think it is over-powered.
All you have to do is get an Ascended Flame, and Pyromancy is one of the most useful tools you can get your hands on. :s Even if Pyromancy is really slow, the fact that I can dish out 905 damage to a mob of monsters with a Great Fireball is a little ridiculous, even by NG+ standards.

MIGHTY_MAMOTH

Oct 24, 2011
Dark Souls is a fun game, and I've really been enjoying it, and it is, as most people have pointing out, incredibly hard. But there are a few ACTUAL issues that are more than just difficulty that I find kind of important:
1. Cliffs inherently aren't the problem, it's the camera angles. Sometimes I'll be encountering a skeleton spearman and I'll back into a corridor, and suddenly the camera zooms in on my face so I can't see anything else and I'll get killed because I have no idea what's going on. Ditto with ledges, I'll dodge, then the camera will warp to some weird angle and an enemy will attack me and I'll go flying off a ledge I didn't see due to the camera not always working as well as it could.
2. The game doesn't tell you nearly enough stuff at times. An example is with melee. As some have stated, the Drake Sword is very powerful, but from all the ways I've read on how to get it, some of the ways of getting it are kind of obscure and aren't possible without a strategy guide to know what you're doing. Another example I had was with my weapon. It broke early on, but I didn't know it was broken or how to repair it because the game never made that clear, so I had to look that up.
3. NO PAUSE BUTTON. I can meet the game halfway... if they don't want me to be able to switch gear completely midbattle fine I understand. But what if I suddenly realize I need to use the bathroom, or my roommate comes home with pizza and I want some before he devours and tears the rest apart with his ungraceful pizza grabbing hands, I WANT to be able to stop without getting torn to pieces... just a simple little pause screen... anything!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Condiments said:
Wakikifudge said:
I don't get it either. Saying dying over and over is a selling point is just weird to me. My friend rented it and we were playing it but we just got so bored. I don't see how finishing off a tough boss is a good payoff after taking the trip to get to him about 30 times.
I play games for relaxation and escapism, not for work.
Don't we all die endlessly to our peers in any multiplayer oriented games in order to acquire the skills to win more often?

There is absolutely no reason a player should lose that many times to a boss if they adjust their strategy based on how they've lost before, or keep attention in battle.
It's not losing to the boss, it's accidentally fucking up again along the way and not even making it to him about 10 percent of the time. I just feel like this game has too much trial and error. For me, that's just work. For others, that's rewarding.
I realize that I'm not good enough at the game yet but I never will be because I don't have the patience for it. It's just too boring for me.
I agree with you on the multiplayer games point which is probably why I really only play co-op type multiplayer games. Or when I do play the more competitive kinds of multiplayer games (I enjoy League of Legends) I ALWAYS play with a group of friends. It becomes more of a social experience and yields much better results because your team is much more organized. I imagine this is the same for online shooters but I don't really play much of those.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Hold on guys copypasteing my opinion from a different thread

Wall o' text alert

"After playing for a while, i really don't care about anything in this game. I mean what's my motivation? I'm currently trying to fight my way past a mob of skeletons and some indestructable rhino before being met with about 5 elite spear guys in this Undead Parish

And for what? Apparently there's some bell i need to ring or something? Why should i care enough to push past the difficulty level?

And any desire to see the sights has been effectively smothered because any new places will have to be trudged through again and again because of the frankly asinine checkpointing system

Compare this to another difficult game like say Persona 3 or 4, you cared enough about the characters and the overall story to push past the difficulty level, it makes you want to see how the game plays out.

I just don't feel arsed enough to continue with Dark Souls really... Fuck it maybe in a few months i'll start a new game and check if there're any good build guides on teh interwebs."

As for the OP, most of the complaints raised are just due to lack of awareness... I mean ledges? Really?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Ghostkai said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Overall, when you finally kill that giant Vagina Monster or the Scaleless Dragon or those Belfry Gargoyles single-handedly; it is one of the greatest feelings I have felt in a long while whilst playing a game.
And that, fellow Escapists, is the appeal of this great game. Well said.
Actually, the Gaping Dragon was the easiest boss in the game. It had two moves that it used 90% of the time. It telegraphed these moves as well. Now Orstein and Smough made me cry tears of joy when they fell.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
To be honest, I'm loving it. However, while I don't think I've encountered any 'random' deaths, I've encountered a few bullshit ones. Like how all grab attacks pretty much have an insta-kill effect. That's bullshit.
Also, fuck you Ceaseless Discharge.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I find the awkward kick mechanic can be frustrating at times .. you kick at pile of wood or smth instead of the enemy one foot to the left or right.. and sometimes enemies are silly and just run right off cliffs (but this is a benefit.. means one less enemy to kill!) or get glitched climbing up ladders but besides that i cant really find any real gamebreaking issues that make the game "hard" so to speak.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Lightning Uchigatana
Great Combustion

Erm.. Anything else?
Mno.. Not really. The occasional block and dodge :p

(Overexaggurated, but it's the thing that works the best for me personally anyway)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dark Souls has issues, but the ones you've stated are not part of them.

The main one (for me anyway) being that locking on for a ranged attack like a Soul Arrow means you can still fire it in the complete opposite direction if your character hasn't been totally centered on the target.

Plus, sometimes you can completely miss an enemy with a ranged attack if they happen to duck or slightly turn their head to the side. Not counting fite ball attacks.

hazabaza1 said:
To be honest, I'm loving it. However, while I don't think I've encountered any 'random' deaths, I've encountered a few bullshit ones. Like how all grab attacks pretty much have an insta-kill effect. That's bullshit.
Just make sure to attack every damn chest the moment you enter Sen's Fortress.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
hazabaza1 said:
Just make sure to attack every damn chest the moment you enter Sen's Fortress.
Just finished the first part of Anor Londo, and I have been. I just stab every god damn chest I see now.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
MIGHTY_MAMOTH said:
Dark Souls is a fun game, and I've really been enjoying it, and it is, as most people have pointing out, incredibly hard. But there are a few ACTUAL issues that are more than just difficulty that I find kind of important:
1. Cliffs inherently aren't the problem, it's the camera angles. Sometimes I'll be encountering a skeleton spearman and I'll back into a corridor, and suddenly the camera zooms in on my face so I can't see anything else and I'll get killed because I have no idea what's going on. Ditto with ledges, I'll dodge, then the camera will warp to some weird angle and an enemy will attack me and I'll go flying off a ledge I didn't see due to the camera not always working as well as it could.
2. The game doesn't tell you nearly enough stuff at times. An example is with melee. As some have stated, the Drake Sword is very powerful, but from all the ways I've read on how to get it, some of the ways of getting it are kind of obscure and aren't possible without a strategy guide to know what you're doing. Another example I had was with my weapon. It broke early on, but I didn't know it was broken or how to repair it because the game never made that clear, so I had to look that up.
3. NO PAUSE BUTTON. I can meet the game halfway... if they don't want me to be able to switch gear completely midbattle fine I understand. But what if I suddenly realize I need to use the bathroom, or my roommate comes home with pizza and I want some before he devours and tears the rest apart with his ungraceful pizza grabbing hands, I WANT to be able to stop without getting torn to pieces... just a simple little pause screen... anything!
1. I haven't encountered that personally, but can see how it would be annoying.

2. Don't be so sure. FF6 had a cursed shield that inflicted every negative status effect in the game on the character wearing it. Why wear it? Because after having been worn through 255 battles it turns into the Paladin Shield (the best shield in the game). How did I discover this in 1995 with no internet? I was curious as to why the thing was in the game. So I wore it and equipped a ribbon to cancel out most of the bad stuff. "Because it was there" is often a strong enough incentive for players to follow courses of action that don't make sense at first glance. As for repairing... well the very first merchant in the easiest part of the game sells repair powder. From there, logic dictates that weapons must take damage if you can repair them.

3. I... kind of agree with this point. Fortunately death doesn't have much bite in most circumstances.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Ghostkai said:
Overall, when you finally kill that giant Vagina Monster or the Scaleless Dragon or those Belfry Gargoyles single-handedly; it is one of the greatest feelings I have felt in a long while whilst playing a game.
Actually, the Gaping Dragon was the easiest boss in the game. It had two moves that it used 90% of the time. It telegraphed these moves as well. Now Orstein and Smough made me cry tears of joy when they fell.
Oh, I agree, he's a terribad boss. But, my point was what Capitano Segnaposto was expressing. The feeling of accomplishment.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
The Wykydtron said:

Wall o' text alert

"After playing for a while, i really don't care about anything in this game. I mean what's my motivation? I'm currently trying to fight my way past a mob of skeletons and some indestructable rhino before being met with about 5 elite spear guys in this Undead Parish

And for what? Apparently there's some bell i need to ring or something? Why should i care enough to push past the difficulty level?

And any desire to see the sights has been effectively smothered because any new places will have to be trudged through again and again because of the frankly asinine checkpointing system

Compare this to another difficult game like say Persona 3 or 4, you cared enough about the characters and the overall story to push past the difficulty level, it makes you want to see how the game plays out.

I just don't feel arsed enough to continue with Dark Souls really... Fuck it maybe in a few months i'll start a new game and check if there're any good build guides on teh interwebs."

As for the OP, most of the complaints raised are just due to lack of awareness... I mean ledges? Really?
Yeah. I can't comment on Dark Souls, but that was one out of my two problems with Demon's Souls, which I completed last year. You don't care for the characters, and the story isn't amazing. Which sucked out a lot of my motivation.

My other problem was having to redo sections when you die. Yahtzee actually summed the problem up pretty well in his Extra Punctuation. I don't have a lot of spare time, and I don't want it wasted on redoing an area I'd already done. Again, this actually could have been solved by having interesting characters and story. I remember losing 20 floors worth of progress on Persona 3 once, and while I was annoyed at the time, I still pushed on because I wanted to see what happened.

It's a shame for me honestly. Because I really LOVE the combat system in Demon's Souls. Especially on some of the bosses. I had a lot of fun battling King Allant in 1-4. I would have had a lot more fun if I didn't have to run through 1-4 again to get back to him, though.

Drkstrm

Oct 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Hazy said:
Hazy said:
[

(P.S, and if you were to mention the Fog Ring, I would be supporting you 110%. Fuck that thing straight to hell. What were you thinking, From?)
Um... what is the Fog Ring? I might have missed that one...
Oh, you know, just a ring that makes you nearly invisible and incapable of being locked onto.

Nothing game breaking, or anything.
Fog Ring pretty much guarantees I'm going to be avoid doing PvP until that shit is patched out or something.
Just so everyone knows. There is a patch coming, and Ring of Fog is getting a slap.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Rem45 said:
Jodah said:
I'm not the OP but I beat the "lava spider" with only spells, didn't melee her once. In fact, I found it more difficult when I did try to melee her the first time.
I meant with pyromancy...I met a guy that was around lvl 70 that barely did damage to it with pyromancy. I was targeting pyromancy specifically because the OP seems to think it is over-powered.
Pyromancy needs to be upgraded , you nees to go to the guy thats sells pyromancy spells and have him modefy your glove from 1-15 . It cost from 500 to 25 000 souls .

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Ghostkai said:
Well, I had trouble with it, okay? I was still in shock at how big it was, I MEAN IT WAS A GIANT FUCKING VAGINA WITH TEETH~! I was scared :( Also the fact that by the time I reached the bastard I had a lot of low health after failing to defeat the damned Hydras and 0 Estus Pots.

However I did manage to defeat the Belfry Gargoyles on my first try :p, I quit though since I wanted that DAMN AXE. Managed to get it once I killed myself before taking that last swing at the damned Firebreather.
Hydras? Is there an alternative way to get to it that isn't through The Depths? And don't worry, we all have bosses that give us trouble. The Bed of Chaos took me more tries than I care to admit. >.>

davisjones1287

Dec 25, 2009
Akihiko said:
The Wykydtron said:

Wall o' text alert

Yeah. I can't comment on Dark Souls, but that was one out of my two problems with Demon's Souls, which I completed last year. You don't care for the characters, and the story isn't amazing. Which sucked out a lot of my motivation.

My other problem was having to redo sections when you die. Yahtzee actually summed the problem up pretty well in his Extra Punctuation. I don't have a lot of spare time, and I don't want it wasted on redoing an area I'd already done. Again, this actually could have been solved by having interesting characters and story. I remember losing 20 floors worth of progress on Persona 3 once, and while I was annoyed at the time, I still pushed on because I wanted to see what happened.

It's a shame for me honestly. Because I really LOVE the combat system in Demon's Souls. Especially on some of the bosses. I had a lot of fun battling King Allant in 1-4. I would have had a lot more fun if I didn't have to run through 1-4 again to get back to him, though.
Everything you mentioned was a positive for me.
I like stories that aren't slapped in my face.