have a second language?

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
English is my first language, I learned Japanese at the behest of my guidance councilor, and I learned Latin, German and Spanish all for classes I took.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
My second language is English, of course, though I speak it better than my own native tongue.

Also, I do technically have a third and fourth language (German and Russian), in that I study them, but I don't speak them well to any extent whatsoever, so I can't really classify them as such.

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
Primary: English
Secondary: French, though I'm just starting, I am learning more.
I also took some Italian a couple of years ago, and I took a year of Latin.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Main Language: English

Second Best: Japanese

Other Languages: French, Latin Italian, German.

May 25, 2010
I can speak 4 languages. I grew up bilingual so I naturally speak Greek and Bulgarian. I also learned English and German along the way. I'm thinking about learning Spanish at some point :p

Most people here speak 2 languages anyway. Not knowing English is pretty pathetic, wherever you may live.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
RanD00M said:
English is my second language.My third one is Danish.But I wish that it wasn't.I hate Danish.But you have to learn it here in Iceland.
How does that make sense? Isn't Norway much closer?

Anyway, my first language is German, so my second one is naturally English for 10 years now. And I've been learning Italian for 4 years, though I can't really speak it fluently. If you want to count it I know Latin too, but that's not really a useful language nowadays, is it?

Shim

Jun 20, 2010
Ken! Ani midaber ivrit! Aval lo harbeh, ani lomed!

(Yes! I speak Hebrew! But not a lot, but I'm learning)

micky

Apr 27, 2009
Quaxar said:
RanD00M said:
English is my second language.My third one is Danish.But I wish that it wasn't.I hate Danish.But you have to learn it here in Iceland.

Anyway, my first language is German, so my second one is naturally English for 10 years now. And I've been learning Italian for 4 years, though I can't really speak it fluently. If you want to count it I know Latin too, but that's not really a useful language nowadays, is it?
i said phonetics and thats not even a language really.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Quaxar said:
RanD00M said:
Denmark used to rule Iceland for some 700 years.We only gained independence some 61 years ago.And it's kinda like a tradition.
They say that learning Danish will help us when we get older because there are some students that go to Denmark to study.Well not me good sir.So I see no real reason to learn it.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Belgium has three official languages: Dutch, French and German. I know how to speak all three of them... Plus English too ofcourse.

And if computer languages count, I also know Java, VBA and XHTML

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
Well I'm from Holland and here everyone learns our own language Dutch and next to that English, German and French. Some schools also offer Spanish to there students.

Personally I speak Dutch, English and German fluently. And French, Japanese, Spanish and Italian well enough to get around.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
As a native-born English speaker, my main second language concerns were that I had to finish second semester Spanish in order to finish my degree, but that's about it. I think if it were offered, I would have preferred to have learned Japanese, simply because I watch a lot of anime. ;)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
English.
And a bit of Japanese.
Can't read or write it, but I'm good enough to follow a conversation.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I understand French pretty damn well, and can speak it haltingly.

I'm working on my Japanese/Chinese, and it's pretty cool seeing characters and understanding what they mean.

For instance I saw those crazy Japanese fans in their bowling-pin-esque outfits, and was able to read the characters on their foreheads, which were the characters for air and ghost = spirit. Quite an awesome feeling.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
RanD00M said:
Quaxar said:
RanD00M said:
Denmark used to rule Iceland for some 700 years.We only gained independence some 61 years ago.And it's kinda like a tradition.
They say that learning Danish will help us when we get older because there are some students that go to Denmark to study.Well not me good sir.So I see no real reason to learn it.
Ah, the oppressor's language. Okay, then it's just, even if not very helpful.