Have you ever knowingly bought a game that was "average"

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Just Cause, it was pretty fun flying around in a parachute and the game was pretty big. Lasted about two weeks.

Dusquad

Sep 3, 2009
Metro 2033 and I was thoroughly delighted to find out that the game is actually really good

ICortezI

Jul 25, 2010
I got Suikoden Tactics used and enjoyed it, so I decided to try out a main series Suikoden game. Since Suiokden 4 and Suikoden Tactics have related stories I decided to let Suikoden 4 be my introduction to the main Suikoden series, even though it's generally considered the worst of the five.

Baiten Kaitos got subpar reviews but I was convinced I would like it so I bought it anyway and loved it.

Only somewhat related, but I went into a bestbuy, saw Enchanted Arms on a shelf, and decided to buy it going on nothing more than the case; I had never heard of it before.

Other than that I buy a lot of average games on steam but they don't count because they're always at ridiculous prices.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
King Toasty said:
Transformers: War for Cybertron. Reviews were universally "It's not bad," but it remains to this day, my favorite game.
ign gave that gave a 9 tho

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Michailov said:
Dark Sector: Twas alright
Turok (360): THROATSLICINKNIFE SHALL LIVE IN MY MEMORIES FOREVER
Golden Axe Beast Rider (360): Only regrets
Facebreaker: Good times
Warhammer Mark of Chaos: meh
Castle Crashers: meh
Perfect Dark: regrets
Just Cause 2: alright
King Arthur Rpgwargame: had it for a year installed on steam. never played it.

an some more stuff
Gah don't get me started on Dark Sector, Turok or Golden Axe, but Castle Crashers and JC2? I mean I can see how you could consider JC2 average if you go into it looking for story, but I practically can't fault Castle Crashers, especially as a party game.

OT: Lair. I fucking hate what that game is, but what I hate more is that it's seriously got the makings of an awesome game underneath. I bought it for $2 at a bargain bin and spent all my time with it flying around the tutorial levels, since the dragons are the only well done thing about it.

COBOLProgram

Jan 16, 2009
I'd have to say Alpha Protocol, too. I am too much of a Bond and RPG fan to pass it up. It got better, but some aspects just broke all tension or immersion.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Najos said:
Brink - I knew it would suck, but I bought it anyway. I even paid full price on this one, biggest mistake EVER. I got about five hours out of it.
This one thousand times over.

Also Halo Reach was pretty meh in my opinion.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Fable 2 and 3 It's good for some mindless fun and the story isn't bad, it's not exactly groundbreaking though :/ Kind of relaxing to play.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
park92 said:
King Toasty said:
Transformers: War for Cybertron. Reviews were universally "It's not bad," but it remains to this day, my favorite game.
ign gave that gave a 9 tho
Disregard ALL IGN reviews, even if you agree with them. I don't trust those guys one bit.

MrMuttonChops

Jan 5, 2011
All of the dragonball Z fighting games since budokai 1 right up to RB 2 and the only one I haven't liked so far was Burst Limit. The only reason I bought them all is because Dragonball, DBZ and GT were my childhood

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Nier - great
Hunted: The Demon's Forge - very good
Velvet Assassin - good
Mirror's Edge - great

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
Red Faction was amazing, the Multiplayer was just icing on the iced cake.

As for Armageddon, not so much...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
BoredDragon said:
God, I know I'm going to get hate for this, but I would have to say Halo: Reach.
*flame shields up*
I was completely turned off the multiplayer due to the fanbase who seemed to always be either completely obsessive about the game or idiotic. This really only left me with the single player and custom games with friends, since the extent of customization in firefight made it less fun for some reason >.>
The single player was kind of fun but bored me a lot since most levels, with a few exceptions, seem to be just a series of firefight matches. Plus, the story was kind of predictable with a few plot cop-outs (Kat's death). As for custom games, I could never really find another really fun game mode, just a fun challenge map every once in a while.

Overall, it felt like an average game in the end with the flaws evening out with the fun I had
*readying flame torch + flame arrow, etc

kidding; I agree. I started playing the game knowing it would be average. I liked HaloCE; didn't bother finishing Halo2, and then I ended up ignoring Halo3.

so I hoped knowing that REACH is average to me would somewhat exceed my expectations. and yet it failed to do so..

it's not a bad game, but it's one of the most tedious game I've played recently.

now I hope your flameshield has a room for two.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Not really anything wrong with just an average game if it's under 30 bucks and you know you'll enjoy it.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Dead Head Fred for the PSP. I went into it knowing full well that it's biggest selling point was its quirky story and characters. I knew that the combat was repetitive and lacking and I didn't go into it with high hopes.

But for what it's worth, I actually ended up enjoying it more than some games I bought thinking they'd be really good.