Here's your new ultra edgy Joker!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm just curious as to who DC thought this design would appeal to? This look is disappointing to anyone who likes the comics, games, animated series, or movies. Is it really that difficult to put Mark Hamil's Joker on screen?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I like the dentalwork. It retrospectively bothers me that comic book characters spend all day punching each other in the face and yet somehow never lose teeth.

The tattoos on the other hand are truly awful.. I mean, maybe they're meant to be an ironic thing to fuck with people, but even if so it totally snaps the tension for me.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I think he looks fine. People are joking this is an "edgy" look, but that's no true: the Heath Ledger joker was the edgy joker, what with the facial scars, terrorist imagery and punk pilosophy.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Crawwwwllinnngggg innn my skinnnnnnnn

These wounds, they will not heeaallllllll!

Oh dear lord why did they put the "damaged" tattoo on his head? Yuck. Look at him, he doesn't look malicious at all. He doesn't even look like he has had a tragic past.

In the words of Sora from Kingdom Hearts:

Who is this kook?

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I'm sure if they let Leto, he'll do a fine acting job, but this design is just... I can't even. The only decent part of it is the dental work. Hair isn't a minus, but not exactly 'good' either. I get that they don't want to just do a rehash of Ledger's joker, but come on, this is what they come up with? The guy looks like a junkie-excon-trying to revive punk with a joker fetish, not the joker himself. This joker looks like he couldn't even put a set of legos together correctly much less mastermind a crime that would give batman a run for his money.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
thanatos388 said:
It looks fine honestly. Kinda dumb if you think about it too much but not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be. Then again people bitched about Heath Ledger and bitched about Michael Keaton and such so lets just wait. There is always something that will look bad at first but the performance and script could turn it around (it won't, the movie will suck in all likelihood) and we'll all laugh that we ever doubted it like with Dark Knight.
Yeah, but Keaton was understandable, and still is. He was largely a comedy actor and is not that imposing of a guy at that point in time. Add in that the first Batman movie had the Joker involved, and you've got to understand people being worried it'd be even campier than Adam West(and to a point it was, but also in a bit of a disturbing area of camp). Even Ledger's understandable, nobody had seen him do much work as heavy as they were making the Joker out to be before TDK came out.

But nobody's worried about Leto's performance(well, I am, don't think I've ever seen him in anything so I can't just trust the reputation), they are worried that this is the final draft of what the Joker's going to look like. A wannabe biker badass, and not a wiry mastermind as he's mostly been in most incarnations. I have nothing wrong with tattoos, I've got two myself, but neither are on my face, and I highly doubt Joker would be in general population long enough to get them in the first place if he was in prison.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Redryhno said:
I have nothing wrong with tattoos, I've got two myself, but neither are on my face, and I highly doubt Joker would be in general population long enough to get them in the first place if he was in prison.
You'd be surprised how many folks get facial tattoos in prison.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Spaceman Spiff said:
Redryhno said:
I have nothing wrong with tattoos, I've got two myself, but neither are on my face, and I highly doubt Joker would be in general population long enough to get them in the first place if he was in prison.
Again, what Joker do you know that would let anymook near him that he didn't want to? And exactly what Joker would ruin his already iconic smile with distractions like those tattoos? Because that's honestly what they are, they don't tell you this person's someone to not be messed with, they tell you this is a guy that is trying far to hard to be taken seriously by daddy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The tattoos are a bit much but will be mostly covered up by the suit. The teeth are downright strange to look at. Other than that, I think this is the best looking Joker when it comes to live action DC movies. Jack Nicholson looked great but they downplayed the comic-bookness of the source material in that movie. Heath Ledger didn't look much like Joker at all to me. Jared Leto looks good in the make-up and the hair is actually green but I can't wait to see the actual suit he'll be wearing. Besides, that's The Joker...Joker was never a member of The Suicide Squad, Harley is. What's she going to look like?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Redryhno said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Redryhno said:
Again, what Joker do you know that would let anymook near him that he didn't want to? And exactly what Joker would ruin his already iconic smile with distractions like those tattoos? Because that's honestly what they are, they don't tell you this person's someone to not be messed with, they tell you this is a guy that is trying far to hard to be taken seriously by daddy.
I agree that tats aren't Joker's style. I more or less said so in another post in this thread.

I just wouldn't cite prison time as a reason that a character shouldn't have tats. Also, maybe Harley did them. Or Bob.

R.I.P. Bob

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Spaceman Spiff said:
Redryhno said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
Redryhno said:
I agree that tats aren't Joker's style. I more or less said so in another post in this thread.

I just wouldn't cite prison time as a reason that a character shouldn't have tats. Also, maybe Harley did them. Or Bob.

R.I.P. Bob
I wasn't really citing prison time as that though, I was pointing out that most of the people doing tattoos would probably not be where he's kept. At least not long enough for him to get them.

Oct 20, 2010
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Wow, that's wretched. Looks like a Marylin Manson Fan with a Joker fetish. Hopefully they do better with everybody else, but based on this its going to look like the Bratz are on tour with with a highschool goth band.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Pluvia said:
Asita said:
Pluvia said:
Get rid of "Damaged" on the forehead and I think he looks alright. Makes the Joker seem fresh again.
Eh, I'd definitely debate that. This is a character whose iconic outfit is a three piece suit complete with boutonniere (wilted or otherwise), and who is usually possessed of more than a little theatricality. Tats just don't fit the guy and I feel that these particular ones send more of an "I'm trying to make you think I'm crazy" than "I really am crazy" message in the design department. The design would work spectacularly for one of the Jokerz in Batman Beyond, or someone else obsessed with the Joker, but for the Joker himself? I don't see it. It kinda crosses the line dividing 'reimagined character' and 'inspired by'.
I can understand all the complaints. It seems weird to think of the Joker sitting down and getting tattoos.

But what I think is well, the Joker has always been a bad character. When we see him he's crazy, but we don't see him doing all the normal things he must obviously have to do: Go shopping for food, putting his makeup on, finding somewhere to live that has toilets, etc. At some points during his day he's going to have to stop being the crazy Joker and just be.. mundane and normal. We never see this of course, it would ruin the illusion. Frankly, if he was constantly crazy all the time he'd be captured by the police and Batman in a day.

To me it doesn't stretch believability that he sat down and got tattoos. He clearly does other normal things to get through the week.
Er, I think that might be a response to someone else, Pluvia. The crux of what I was saying was that this felt more like a character with a Joker obsession (like the Jokerz) than the Joker himself, not that he would be too crazy to stay still long enough to get inked.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
WolfThomas said:
-The tattoos. Again the Joker is meant to be in prison, so I like the idea of prison tats. But these look like something someone obsessed with the Joker might have. Not the actual joker. I can't think of what the Joker would have but I think it would be smarter/more confusing than "hahahahaha" or "damaged"
Well, we don't have any context, for all we know, in this universe/story, the "Joker" could be some random obsessed fan of the original they arrested. Kind of an inverted take on the Nite Owls from Watchmen, where the fanboy took over the role after the original was too old (or dead, or missing, or still alive for the heck of it).

The tats are a bit much, especially the forehead, but the look otherwise doesn't bother me. Without context, we again don't know how often most of the tats will even be visible, or covered by his costume.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I'll try not to hate him if he's funny. Coz Mark Hamill set the benchmark on jokerism. Demented, funny, dangerous. I think, aside from the disappearing pencil trick and one of the greatest chaotic speeches ever (Ya know "Do I look like the kind of guy that has a plan?") , there wasn't much Joke in Ledger's Joker, and to much oral fixation, which makes sense for an insane killer, but why so serious?
Plus the Joker laugh Hamill used like a musical instrument.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The thing about the Joker having tattoos is that this means he must have stayed still for an extended period in the same room as an electric needle without doing something violent and insane (or even fidgeting).

I'd expect him to put tattoos like this on all his henchmen (doing it himself when he gets bored) but not let someone else do it to him.

I actually like everything else, he looks suitably demented and he looks more like a crack addict than a goth which is appropriate.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It would be funny if after he get released from Prison, he wipes of all the tattoos with a damp cloth revealing they were sharpie. And takes out the grill. Revealing he was just doing a cliched prisoner impersonation.