Here's your new ultra edgy Joker!

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
A little overdone. But I prefer them doing a new take to just reiterating the same joker. I must admit I'm not quite sold on any of the DC promotional material I see, but I keep an open mind. If they have enough finesse and good enough people behind it I absolutely believe they can pull off a little more edgy superhero universe.

Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
Oh man! So Edgy! Not nearly as classy or clownish as the Mark Hamill joker, nor as scary and anarchic as Heath Ledger! Its like going back to the 70s when tattoos were considered scary!
Agreed. The whole look is just too manufactured, it looks like the end result of 'edgy' when designed by committee.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The "Damaged" tattoo looks incredibly dumb, but I quite like the rest of it. I did laugh at this redesign though.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
"Wanna know how I got these tattoos?"

I look forward to hearing his Joker voice. Must be hard to get right.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im guessing those laughing tats are based off dialogue in a comic? Just seems so familiar, maybe from the end of The Killing Joke? The tats are to perfect, i think they should have been mindless ramblings as if your looking into Jokers mind.

Leto is a good actor and we have to wait and see his performance. As how he acts might pull everything together and it will all makes sense. I kinda think he will play this Joker abit like the lead singer of the prodigy.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Looks a little over-designed to me. Kind like they just left the makeup artist to do their thing, but forgot to tell them to stop.

I get the HA HA HA HA HA HA (even though I feel it should be scratched on, not tattooed on) on the arm, but everything else just seems a little iffy to me, especially the J on his face and the "Damaged" on his forehead.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't hate it, honestly. I agree that the facial tattoos are a bit much- my impression of the Joker is that he would either get something epic and humorous and/or grotesque covering at least half his face, or nothing at all. The little cursive letters and the "J" seem more like the affectations of someone trying to piss off their parents.

The rest of it? Well, it seems more like fan-callouts than something the Joker would put on his own body for personal reasons, but I'm kind of okay with that. I almost think you could do something with that idea- Joker as self-promoting celebrity, Joker as his own weird kind of brand.

The performance is what will make our break it, though, of course.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
I've never really been into superheroes, but one of my highschool mates was a huge Batman fanboy and from what I remember, wasn't Joker's origin story, that he was basically your regular thug and then Batman kicked him into a vat of acid or something, which coloured Joker's skin white, because that's how severe chemical burns work, obviously, and that new clownish look triggered a personality change, like with Scarface? So if my memory serves me well and the whole thing didn't get smacked around with a retcon stick, he's not quite pale enough. Now, given that, again, according to the origin story, which may no longer (or have never been) accurate, Joker apparently has issues with his own skin, I guess giving him a tat fetish WOULD make a whole lot of sense, but focusing them on plain, boring black-and white text is sort of stupid, I'd rather expect colourful, circus-themed acid-trippish (pun intended) imagery with lots of excessive creepy cheer, like maybe circus animals witch cheshire cat smiles eating up their trainers alive, the works.

Ah well, I guess we just don't get the new joker. And neither does his mum.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ugicywapih said:
I've never really been into superheroes, but one of my highschool mates was a huge Batman fanboy and from what I remember, wasn't Joker's origin story, that he was basically your regular thug and then Batman kicked him into a vat of acid or something, which coloured Joker's skin white, because that's how severe chemical burns work, obviously, and that new clownish look triggered a personality change, like with Scarface?
That's the possible origin story offered in Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, though rather than a thug, he was a family man driven to crime by desperation.

The origin story was always intended to be just one possibility, though. After recounting it in the graphic novel, the Joker admits that he "remembers it differently every time". The Joker wasn't meant to have a single, canon origin story.

Ugicywapih said:
Ah well, I guess we just don't get the new joker. And neither does his mum.
That made me lawl.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LeathermanKick25 said:
Really? This is what you all define as "edgy" ? I know it's cool to hate on all the DC casting and character looks, but you're all pretty sad with the lame insults you're slinging at it.

Never fail to amuse me Escapist.
No. I don't think anyone actually defines it as edgy. It feels like DC are trying to make it edgy but were 10 years too late and it would've looked terrible back then too. You are aware what people mean when they quite clearly call something sarcastically "edgy" yes? Would you rather people just say "ugh it's shit" without explaining why?

I dislike some of DCs live action character designs because they're not very good or are incredibly fucking dourly presented, not because it's "cool". I'm also pretty sure noone around here jumps on the boat because it's cool, or think the "cool boat" is "sad" because most of us aren't in high school.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh, hey it's Marylin Manson, isn't it? Not Jared Leto.
I dunno. I'll hold back opinion till seeing the film.
Still got Requim for a Dream burned into my emotional memory. Can't top that so far.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
It's only one picture. One picture will not end this movie... but will create the flames on the internet.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
This could just be a selfie of some industrial raver on a saturday night right as the molly kicks in.

Give him some green and purple glowsticks, then the look would be complete.

Not at all a fan. Hell. The cartoons were evil clownish, yet classy, with a good blend of traits. The early movies tended to lean a lot more clownish and downplayed the psycho side. The Dark Knight had the psychotic anarchic side down fuckin' pat, with the clown bit barely being represented at all.

This?

No. Just no. And I'm not even a big Batman fan. Those folks have to be...well, incredulous at best.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Nix the tattoos and it's fine. Really the ink is the only problem I really have here. It looks stupid and not really in character for the Joker. Not a big fan of the teeth, either. Pretty ugly, honestly.

We're sure the teeth are because Batman knocked his teeth out and not him wearing a grill, right? Because if Joker is wearing a dumb ass grill, I find that problematic, too.

All in all, Suicide Squad is the only upcoming DC movie I have any semi positive feelings for. Please don't screw this up. This over-designed "edgy" Joker isn't inspiring confidence, though.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
...DARKNESS! NO PARENTS!

*Ahem* All in all I am completely neutral about this look. I saw his "vocal tease" on youtube and that makes me more worried. Seems this Joker is more of swearing brute than a maniacal mad genius. The look however is fine. It certainly fits what little we've seen of the actual character so maybe it will mesh well.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Ultimately will have to wait to see how his character is. Won't judge based on a picture alone, granted that it's not looking good.