How do you break up with someone?

TobiasMP

Jun 9, 2010
OriginalError said:
STORY TIME!

I was going out with this girl for 8 or 9 months and she was cheating on me for about the last 3 weeks. No big deal. I convinced her to get my name tattoo'd onto her, and slipped the tattoo artist an extra grand to make it a red 'A' on her back.

Then I told her I was breaking up with her.

//J.
You, sir, are my hero

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zero=Interrupt said:
You have the balls to say to their face "This isn't working, and I don't think we should date anymore." If you don't have the balls, you can do it the George Costanza way, which is to say, do something so appalling they won't want to see you again, like picking your nose, smoking, or suggesting a threesome with their mum. This is generally regarded as a sniveling, cowardly thing to do and you SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

Get a spine, for pete's sake. Just tell them.

The following is a also list of things you should NOT do:

1) break up with them by phone message
2) break up with them via text
3) steps one and/or two by any alternative medium, like Facebook, Tweet, MMORPG and so on.
4) Drive a car, at full throttle, into their house. NEVER EVER DO THIS.
5) Run at them screaming "I'm breaking up with you!" holding a chocolate/actual gun/power tool/lawn implement/etc. Or the real thing.
6) hand-write a note and mail it.
7) attach the above note to their beloved pet
8) Tell them during sex. They WILL stab you with an ice pick.
9) Break up with them during their birthday or like special occasion
10) Leave a message with their parents. THEY will stab you with an ice pick.
Sooo by your standards it's bad to break up with someone by simply changing your social status on Facebook to single without any further notice? I don't understand that at all...

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
Meeting up. I like to do it in person, primarily because it keeps the other from getting defensive right off the bat... or helps. I know you say that you don't like the personal contact, but your now-ex-SO being able to see you as well could make all the difference in the world. A text message makes it impossible to read any sort of inflection or emotion - "I think we should stop seeing each other", when read, just has the overtones of "I don't care what your feelings are". However, when you actually meet in person, the way that you say it can convey your emotions much better, such as whether you're genuinely apologetic or just trying to break it gently.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
I can tell you how not to do it... My girlfriend of about 5 or 6 years decided to break up with me.
She did so by email.
On Valentine's Day.
And then she moved to Canada.

That's just cold.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
If she doesn't answer her phone, leave a long message! And at the very end say very fast "oh and I'm breaking up with you."

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
If you have a routine about breaking up it really says something about your dating habits and general commitment...

I feel like moment to moment is the only way to treat a relationship, if you already know how to break up with the person doesn't that just mean you intend to do it anyway?

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
hook up with her sister and tell her to come over, but don't tell her you're with her sister. when she catches you just look up and say "oh yea, i'm breaking up with you," then continue.

not really, usually i try to be gentle about it

xplay3r

Jun 4, 2009
I only purposely broke up with someone once, and It was my first real girlfriend, I kind of did it in a dick way though.

Of course I broke up with her because she had become immature and irrational and was being really crazy about certain things (we were both 16 and she wanted me to get her pregnant, to the point that she actually begged me)

but basicly I just because shittier and shittier to her until she said "well if you're going to be like this, why don't we just break up" and I said "OK"
kind of a shit way to do it but I really didn't know any better and I wanted to hurt her as little as possible. Maybe that back fired though.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Magicmad5511 said:
I've not been in a relationship so I wouldn't know.
Also whenever I've fancied someone they have left my school.

*breaks into tears*
youre not alone... *sigh*
im sure we all have been in a similar situation... :(
OT:I havent as i've never had a realtionship but if i did it would be in a very cowarldy way, seeing as im not even brave enough to even ask someone out

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Have you tried sleeping with her sister? That'll put a nice quick end to a relationship.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
My only relationship which was almost two years ended under a relatively mutual understanding. We could both feel that things weren't going to work long term. When I brought up the conversation of it we cried and realized it was for the best, no fighting or convincing or hatred towards each other.

Gotta say it was strange because it was nothing like what I've seen on T.V or movies. Then again, not much in life is.

theninjaone

Jan 2, 2011
Whatever you do don't do it by text. That's how my ex left me and I can't talk to her anymore with out feeling so angry at her. It ended our relationship and ruined our friendship.

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
i actually had to help someone break up before. my best friend in the world wanted to break up with her douche boyfriend, but he had anger issues so she didnt want to out of fear. i sat the guy down and told him how you cant treat a woman like that and expect her to stick around, he tried to punch me, which was comical and that was that. been looking over my shoulder for quie some time now though...

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
theninjaone said:
Whatever you do don't do it by text. That's how my ex left me and I can't talk to her anymore with out feeling so angry at her. It ended our relationship and ruined our friendship.
Same thing happened to me, we used to be really good friends, then we went out for a few months, she says she doesnt ave feelings for me anymore over text and refuses to talk about it, really ended everything between us, its a shame how people just act like it ends when they say it does, cause it never really is done unless you talkk about it

The_Evermind

Jul 7, 2009
I haven't been in a relationship (although I'm starting to realize that at least part of the problem is me not recognizing when I should ask someone out) so I don't have experience with break ups. My friend's girlfriend broke up with him by phone (it was a long distance thing) the day after he visited her, and get this it was supposedly because he wasn't visiting enough. Yeah he travels 2 hours to see her over the weekend, comes back, and the next morning gets a call that she is breaking up. He was pissed.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Short sweet bullet to the head...

Oh i should probably read the thread first, oh i see ah well i guess it still stands.