How I would create a game to troll 90% of FPS players

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
sethisjimmy said:
So, you would create TF2?

No seriously, every single one of your points is a part of TF2. Every single one, right down to the obscure and imaginary weapons.

If I didn't know better i'd say you just took a list of things you like in TF2 and wrote them down as things all shooters should do...

Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think it would troll 90% of fps players, as I hear TF2 is pretty popular with the kids these days and what-not.
There's still automatic weapons!

It's hard to find things that correspond to all of those, might as well go with the best choices OP,
TF2, UT other arena shooters like that.

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
Oh my god (read: toothfairy)! It sounds... like an actual shooting game! What blasphemy is this?!

No, I might have played it for a change.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
If you really want to annoy the majority of FPS players, there's no need for convoluted schemes or going back to old formulas. You only have to do one step, one single definitive and final step.

Remove online play.

No more, no less.

... and then, rather suddenly, the world was a much happier place.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Sounds good, for the most part, although I do find some of your ideas to be questionable.

#3. No automatic assault rifles. They remove a great deal of strategy from the game, because they are the jack of all kills and can hit anything on most maps. I think it would be better to have only submachine guns and light machine guns. Assault rifles should be semi-auto only. That way, it's more of a shooting game, you have to think about your shots.
Clearly you haven't played a lot of Counter-Strike, where trying to spray with an assault rifle ends up with you shooting at the sky, thanks to the high recoil, and where an SMG can maw down an entire well-equipped team.

#4. More than 2 "primary" weapons slots. This allows for versatility in combat.
If by "versatility", you mean every player and their dog carrying a sniper rifle and an assault rifle or SMG, then yes, I suppose you're right.

#9. Camping is a legitimate strategy.
The main reason why camping often isn't a legitimate strategy, is because if you're playing anything other than deathmatch, then you pretty much have to haul ass to an objective/bombsite/whatever, and don't have time to waste staying in one spot. Battlefield is an exception to this, thanks to the way respawn is implemented, and it can also be acceptable behaviour in Team Fortress 2, depending on the game-mode and class that you're playing.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Wow, you must be really new to FPS.

And it rustles my jimmies how you think that this is "trolling". How about you actually search for it's meaning instead of using it for whatever you think it means?

Camping is only regarded as a "legitimate" (lol) strategy in modern FPS. Are you really that oblivious?

MammothBlade said:
#1. No iron sights. They take a fair bit of fun out of the game, in my view. I always did prefer hip fire. Scopes are an exception, of course.
Because hipfire is so damned accurate.

Crosshairs look ugly, I like to line up the sights but without zoom.

TestECull said:
Just make one that has no multiplayer and you'll succeed quite handily.
Chemical Alia said:
Make it so you can't invert the Y-axis. That would make my head explode. And my hands.
Wait, you use that? I've never had to use that for a FPS. Ever.
The Abhorrent said:
If you really want to annoy the majority of FPS players, there's no need for convoluted schemes or going back to old formulas. You only have to do one step, one single definitive and final step.

Remove online play.

No more, no less.

... and then, rather suddenly, the world was a much happier place.
Why would no MP piss off people? We all know that most games today have unnecessary online modes that only detract people from playing what they really want.

TestECull said:
And I never understood why inverted Y axis was the default option in some games. Who the hell wants to aim like they were flying a plane?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Aerosteam 1908 said:
"How I would create a game exactly like Team Fortress 2 to troll 100% of Call of Duty players"
Implying that 100% of Call of Duty players are not TF2 players or old school FPS players.

Keep generalizing, people. Stay classy, doesn't make you look like snobs at all.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
Create a 10 man deathmatch where one player is given a 1000% health buff. The player with this buff is randomly selected and rotated every 30 seconds. 90% troll rate achieved.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Let us compare TF2 to CoD in the points you have made:
Team Fortress 2:

1: Matches
2: Matches
3: Matches
4: Matches
5: Matches
6: Matches
7: Matches
8: Matches
9: Matches
10: Matches

Call of Duty:

1: Doesn't match
2: Doesn't match
3: Doesn't match
4: Doesn't match
5: Doesn't match
6: Doesn't match
7: Doesn't match
8: Doesn't match
9: Doesn't match
10: Doesn't match
Wow. Looks like the thread should have been called:

"How I would create a game exactly like Team Fortress 2 to troll 100% of Call of Duty players"
No, absolutely not. I don't know why people keep mentioning TF2. It's not some sort of class or team based game I'm talking about, nor does it have comic-style graphics. The weapons are nothing like those in TF2. When I say "antique", "obscure", or "imaginary" I'm talking weapons such as the Mosin-Nagant, the Sterling submachine gun, Type 99 LMG, Luger, 8 gauge shotguns which pack one hell of a punch, or sniper rifles with 2 shots before they need to be reloaded. Maybe that sounds mostly like pre-assault rifle weaponry.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
ElPatron said:
Wow, you must be really new to FPS.

And it rustles my jimmies how you think that this is "trolling". How about you actually search for it's meaning instead of using it for whatever you think it means?

Camping is only regarded as a "legitimate" (lol) strategy in modern FPS. Are you really that oblivious?

MammothBlade said:
#1. No iron sights. They take a fair bit of fun out of the game, in my view. I always did prefer hip fire. Scopes are an exception, of course.
Because hipfire is so damned accurate.

Crosshairs look ugly, I like to line up the sights but without zoom.
Haha, no. You're so damned wrong in that regard. I've played a LOT of FPS, from 007: Nightfire to CoD, to Battlefield, to Halo, to Counter-Strike.

It does troll players, if the weapons don't work how they expect them to work, if popular or favoured weapons are absent or shit. It would at least rustle their jimmies.

It's a game. Hipfire can be accurate if it's programmed to be. And in my view, iron sights are an eyesore.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
ElPatron said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Implying that 100% of Call of Duty players are not TF2 players or old school FPS players.

Keep generalizing, people. Stay classy, doesn't make you look like snobs at all.
And the OP is implying that his points will annoy 90% of FPS gamers. So he's assuming 90% of FPS gamers solely play games like CoD. His figures are as ridiculous as mine, and you choose to only reply to me.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
MammothBlade said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Team Fortress 2:

Call of Duty:

No, absolutely not. I don't know why people keep mentioning TF2. It's not some sort of class or team based game I'm talking about, nor does it have comic-style graphics.
We keep mentioning TF2 because it literally fits all the criteria you set out, and is a first person shooter. There was nothing in your post to suggest any other preferences (perhaps you should edit them in).

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Rednog said:
Terramax said:
One thing I should've realised earlier but didn't until getting Resistance: Burning Skies the other day, is that they're all so SLOW. I mean, seriously, what happened to Quake 3 ultra fast, ultra frantic gameplay?
The fast paced games are called arena shooters, they still exist out there, you just have to look for them. They branched off from the FPS tree a while back.
Well, the original Doom, Quakes, Duke Nukem, Medal of Honour, etc, were all fast paced. I believe it was only after Halo came out that things slowed down dramatically.

It would be nice if there were a modern FPS (non-arena) that bucked the trend.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
MammothBlade said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Team Fortress 2:

Call of Duty:

No, absolutely not. I don't know why people keep mentioning TF2. It's not some sort of class or team based game I'm talking about, nor does it have comic-style graphics.
We keep mentioning TF2 because it literally fits all the criteria you set out, and is a first person shooter. There was nothing in your post to suggest any other preferences (perhaps you should edit them in).
I agree that it sounds similar, but aesthetically and mechanically, it's a different concept, and not what I had in mind.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Mount and blade: Napoleonic Wars

I think it it may fit everything except number 4

#1. No iron sights.
has none

#2. No auto-aim.
same

#3. No automatic assault rifles.
It barely has rifles let alone anything with repeating shots

#4. More than 2 "primary" weapons slots. This allows for versatility in combat.
4 slots at most but most are only equiped with 2 to 1(musket or musket and sword)

#5. No killstreaks or perks.
None here aswell

#6. As many obscure, antique, or imaginary weapons as possible. No AK-47s or M4s, even semi auto versions. The same goes for Desert Eagles. Or perhaps they could be harshly nerfed so that anyone who uses them is in for an unpleasant surprise.
I think everything fits the antique bill here

#7. No knife button, it's a secondary weapon which you have to select first. There is a wide selection of melee weapons.
swiching to sword or melee mode is a button click

#8. No quickscoping.
only thing that scopes in the telescopes and that doesn't shoot
#9. Camping is a legitimate strategy.

#10. No auto-regenerating health. Just medkits.
No medkits no hp regen

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
TestECull said:
Just make one that has no multiplayer and you'll succeed quite handily.
Chemical Alia said:
Make it so you can't invert the Y-axis. That would make my head explode. And my hands.
You pretty much either use it or you don't. I went from Wolfenstein 3d to a ton of TIE Fighter vs X-Wing before moving on to modern FPSs, so that's probably why v:

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
MammothBlade said:
I play some FPS games myself occasionally, but I have something of a hate on for the way the FPS genre has gone today.

*snip*

And I'm not talking about TF2. It isn't class based, it doesn't have comicbook graphics, and the maps are larger. The weapons would be altogether different.

Wow, I must be incredibly bitter.
1. Why. Why would you EVER choose to fire from the hip than using your sights? That's just silly and the only reason such a thing exists is because of two reasons: One, technological limitations, and two, the gun does not require the ability to use iron sights (such as most guns in TF2)

2. Auto aim is typically used in console games because a joystick is not nearly as accurate as a mouse and keyboard.

3. I have a problem with this, but I'm not sure why.

4. Yes, that would be good.

5. Sure, killstreaks are silly. Perks add a nice little variety to the game, though.

6. Lots of weapons means A LOT of balancing, have fun with that.

7. Yeah, sure, why not?

8. No problems here.

9. No. Just...No. Camping is almost never a legitimate strategy unless you have a sniper rifle.

10. Why not come up with an entirely new health system? Medkits make for dull gameplay and instead of focusing on fighting your enemies, you spend a lot of time scurrying around playing capture the medkit.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
As others have said there's lots new oldschool PC FPS games including shoot mania and a new Painkiller in development