How important is High-Definition to you?

Apr 24, 2008
Important.

SD gaming is a blurry mess in comparison. Whilst SD films fair much better than SD games, they've still got nothing on the glory that is full 1080p blu-ray.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Important.

SD gaming is a blurry mess in comparison. Whilst SD films fair much better than SD games, they've still got nothing on the glory that is full 1080p blu-ray.
SD gaming is only a blurry mess when playing on an HDTV. That has everything to do with video scaling. Go back to an SDTV and things are quite sharp again.

OT: For me, the whole HD v SD debate is really a case-by-case deal. For TV, I think SD is fine. Also, for the vast majority, video games are fine in SD for me as well.

The thing is though, the monitor needs to match the graphic fidelity of the game you're playing (or movie you're watching or what-have-you). For me, Wii games aren't inherently worse than PS360 games simply because of their respective SD/HD status. However, you need to play Wii on an SDTV and PS360 on an HDTV to get the preferable experience. Neither downscaling nor upscaling look good. Ever.

But then again, I'm a person who needs everything to be sharp and crisp. Heck, I absolutely hate anti-aliasing, multi-sampling and screen smoothing because things simply get too blurry for me.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
tv and movies i dont really care that much about, but when it comes to my computer, i cant get enough

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
HD is more important to me than 3D. I hate the new craze and you just have to pay more for the privilege of seeing an optical illusion. The annoying part of 3D is that they have to make the resolution worse, and after all that time and money making things as clear as possible.

I like HD just for the image quality really. I'm not overly fussed otherwise

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
Well, I don't care that much about HD. There's one problem I have with low def, is that on my own tv (with low def) the text is so weird, that half the time I can hardly read it... other than that, I couldn't care less if it's HD or not. I just want to be able to read everything in-game etc.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I love HD, it makes everything look that bit more appealing. I don't mind low definition, but if HD is available, i'll take it.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I used to tell myself that I don't really care, and while I'm not as sensitive as some friends of mine, I would be lying if I kept on saying that. I do care about quality (which is why I think the current 3D hype should be put down with the aid of a shotgun).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
jasen said:
not even slightly i play my Xbox 360 on a regular definition TV ind I'm fine with it. I have played on a hdtv before and it does look allot nicer but its not worth the $1400 investment.
1400 dollars ?!?!?!? How in the pikey Hell are you posting on this board from the year 2003? Fella, I have to say I bought my last 42" 1080p Hi Def TV for my bedroom, brand new no less, for under $500 shipped to my door. Hell I have a 60" HDTV in my living room and that wasn't even a grand over a year ago. The entry point for high definition is crazy low these days. If you don't need but a 28 or 32 inch high def television you can get into one of those for about 200 bucks, give or take, with a little smart online shopping.

Feinei

Aug 27, 2010
I play games on my PC at 1280x1024 (my monitor's max res) with everything maxed out in the settings, only game that I have played up till now which doesn't run on max settings is divinity 2
I have no problem with my fairly low resolution, everything looks fantastic, however I still want a higher res, the more HD the better, also I cant see myself playing on anything lower than 1024x768 which for me is the bare minimum im willing to go down to.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I have a HD TV and my laptop's screen is HD.

When I watch standard definition TV I can see the lower resolution and it only really bothers me if I just finished watch a Blu-Ray or played a game in HD. Even then it doesn't bug me too much.

I don't mind standard def, but if I can get something in HD without it being much more expensive I'll do it. And considering the improved visuals help me get immersed with whatever I'm looking at I guess I'd say it is important to me.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Depends on what you're used to. Moving down from HD is really painful, but simply sitting put on SD is absolutely fine. That initial jump up to HD is a really cool feeling for a few days, however.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Standard definition used to not bother me on my console until I got an HDTV. Suddenly everything was just so much crisper and cleaner. I couldn't ever go back to SD, if that's any indication. It's not the most important thing (my monitor can support HD but I don't use it) but it is really hard to look at something (especially text) on a SDTV after seeing it in HD.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
HD is one of those things you can live without indefinitely if you haven't seen it.

But once you start watching HD TV shows in particular, you very quickly start noticing how bad SD looks :)
This. I agree completely with you.

Jan 27, 2011
...I play my PS3 games on an SD TV in my room.

I WOULD like to play them on the HD TV we have, but then I have to drag the PS3 downstairs, and play it in the living room where people can annoy me or just stand there looking at the game before going shaking their heads and calling it silly and pointless, which is very distracting (that's my dad's thing). I only use the HD TV when no one is around, or they're all busy, so I won't be distracted.

Personally, I'm fine with SD. HD is nice to have, but not necessary.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
For gaming, HD is quite important as the difference between that as SD is quite noticeable.

Anything else, it's just a nice little extra but it's not that important

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Boris Goodenough said:
Susurrus said:
I, cunningly, have never seen anything in HD (or Blu Ray, or anything), ever.

This is fantastic. It means I don't realize about the lost quality, and I can't see it. This means I have no interest in it, and am not bothered when watching something on a standard tv, at standard definition. Hooray! This has saved me many moneys.
You've never been to the cinema the last couple of years?
I always forget to take my glasses to the cinema, so quality increases aren't noticeable over the blur.

Also, its on so much larger a screen, it's difficult to notice the difference.

Also, is a cinema screen actually high def? Its a projection, no?

Also, check out this captcha:

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_Vut7-2l8pV2NPUor16jpxq-uGRCti5kRtFzNrnHBRO_W0E79w3Tc78Fm4FWcgzCLDYNdy6J5CkRHosIx_hAEBLu12ax8WrpgKbnKMNtSRGVAJwwFxth0n0JQ3bVog3Yn0_vL77uypwTG_NXUStUsXNf4f9Ny2g