How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I can't speak for all the Irish, but my attitude is it needs to be forgotten, or at least people should shut up about it.

"THEY ATTACKED US!"
"Yeah, and then you invaded Iraq for oil. Get over it."

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Yeah, this is pretty much the Norwegian attitude too. Either "get over it already!", "What's so special about that date?" or a big, fat, resounding "Meh".

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I can think of quite a few people I know in Scotland who really don't care that much any more. I mean, it was a horrific incident at the time, but it's been ten years. I saw a list recently of ten more significant things that have happened since then, and I'm inclined to agree.

Arab Springs, for a recent example, or The stagnation of the U.S. and other developed-world economies.

A quick Google should bring up the list. It's an interesting read.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<

American here and I have to agree with your post 100 percent. It is pretty distasteful that the whole nation keeps ranting and gibbering on it like some damned baboons for 10 years straight.

Sure it was a horrible event and we all paid our respect 10 years ago but people here just love picking on the wound. People need to learn to let go and move on.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Evilsanta said:
You don't see Japan doing this with the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_Peace_Memorial_Ceremony

Oh no, far be it from the Japanese to do something as selfish as remembering a national tragedy

To anyone claiming America needs to "get over it" - I'm sorry, but it was sort of the spark for most of the major events involving this country over the last decade, you know? Not to mention one of the single deadliest days in our history. Not to mention it's specifically the tenth anniversary of that day. So yeah, it's sort of a big deal for us.

You don't have to remember it, you don't have to honor it, you don't have to feel invested in it in anyway, but you should at the very least be respectful.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
DanielBrown said:
The media loves it, but here in Sweden no one has ever cared at all. Why should we?
I'm pretty sure 9/11 was the starting point for my deep hatred for American patriotism.
Anna Lindh got assassinated on 9/11 so that's one reason for us swedes to care.

Father Tunde

Dec 8, 2010
Initially sad, but then other attacks happened in places all around the world, like London and Madrid.

And then several years later, I found out many Americans funded/supported IRA attacks on Britain. Guess I don't feel that sorry for them, now they know how well the boot fits.

Amplify

Aug 31, 2008
I'm English, and I see it as the day that terrorists won "the war on terror". The 10 years after that are simply America not realising that the moment they gave up most/all of their freedoms for a little security "just in case" of terrorists is the same day they lost, possibly permanently.

Sam Leighton

Feb 18, 2011
Here in Australia we woke up, turned on the tv, wondered where Cheez TV was gone and then sort of went on with our lives. Keep in mind I was 10 at the time but I remember wondering why Australians even went to war over it. Not sure of the numbers but there were very few Aussies in the towers.
Personally I see its importance more in the political change it brought about. Things such as the Patriot Act, Australia going to war in the Middle East, the Invasion of Iraq and dramatic shifts towards the political left in both US and Aus long after 9/11 would probably never have happened without 9/11.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Swedes mostly don't care.
Me and my friends, a lot of the people I know, and others find the memorial..... untasteful, for lack of a better word. Americans spend an entire day for these 3000 people, yet nothing for all the hundreds of thousands of civilians America has killed? Or Guantanamo bay, which coupled with other such facilities has over 3000 people interned? Or for the lives of others that have been destroyed.
Also, we find your general patriotism vulgar. Since 11/9 is closely associated nowadays with American patriotism, we find it a bit vulgar. And shameful that America props this event, as America being a great suffering victim, yet does next to nothing for those who have suffered greater tragedies.

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
I woke up and checked my clock this morning. It read 9:11 9/11. I was so freaked out.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Personally, a day of sadness. Many innocents died, no matter nationality, that is a tragedy.

For Canada, the weeks that followed were a reminder to our hospitality. Your flights in air were re-directed to Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador. The 6 and a half thousand people traveling to America were taken in by the townsfolk there, public areas like schools became refugee shelters, travelers joined families for meals, bordings, and showers. A proud moment for all Canadians.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
When it happened I did see it as a big deal.
But now ten years later, I don't really care about the events of 11/9.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I have really stopped caring, when I was a kid I was too young to understand but when I was a bit older I cared but now I just can't seem to care.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
Here in Latvia, there was a mention, but nothing more. I dont really care, never really have actually.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Why are you having an aniversary about something bad thats happend, ok yes I know one minute of silence for the fallen but the anniversary is an aniversary of two buildings going boom and killing alot of people I don't know about you butI' rather ferget it and get on with my life
or do you get a day off or something?

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Over here in the UK we treat 9/11 as a far worse attack than the 7/7 bombings of London. Both dark days, of course, but personally I don't pretend to have any connection with either of the days. That's not to say that I am disrespectful.