How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

TheMan2203

Sep 14, 2010
I believe that all countries regardless of their feelings towards the good ol' US of A recognize 9/11 as a tragedy the likes of which the world hasn't, and hopefully will not see again. What made it all the more real for most people was it was the first truly horrendous moments of human history to receive live coverage.

Personally? I believe that it was many deaths for no good reason, many deaths that have lead to many more. I wouldn't say that my nationality has any bearing on my opinion, British if you are wondering, but i would also like to add that a lot of my fellow countrymen, people i know even, have felt repurcussions, from the 7/7 bombings to the prolonged war in the middle-east and so it's more my experience as a person from what will be remembered as one of the defining moments of human history, that i will remember for the rest of my life.

So yeah, i could go on but your probs bored if you are reading this :) thanx for reading.

May 14, 2011
I'm from Romania. I've been seeing stories and reports about it on the news about 9/11 for the past two days.

Politicians here seem to care most about 9/11 (mostly because of the amiable relationship between the USA and Romania). They've said more than once that 4 Romanians died that day and news reporters keep talking about how it changed the world forever or how it represented the beginning of the decline of western society.

Among the average citizens however it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Personally I would call it "some fucked up dodgy business, possibly Vietnam 2.0"
To be entirely fair, the circumstances leading to Vietnam were a lot more dodgy on the US end than the War On Terror!(tm). I'm not saying you're wrong, just that retaliating against an attack on civilians is far different from the Gulf of Tonkin.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Images said:
Your reply was pretty well meaning. I don't have a problem with the date being remembered. I just think its a bit grisly how yanks react to September 11th like Macbeth to Banquo's ghost. Everyone else doesn't understand why they're screaming and describing the horror.

The only bit of your post that baked my noodle was this one...

Cyrax987 said:
It was a major attack, it wasn't a dozen people like 24 it was over 3000 people.
I mean, I don't know if this was a reference to a specific event or the TV show "24",which is kinda a tacky comparison if it was or if the number of dead people equals a number of years to be mournful? Clearing up would help.

And yes Daft Punk does kick ass.
Mentioned a number to just state that it wasn't a small death toll attack, but yeah I do hate how people have mentioned 9/11 way too much especially the politics that happen over here in the States. It was tragic and the drum has been beat into the ground, I guess my first post kind of seemed a little patriotic too it seems from some of the other people that quoted my initial post.

My only problem was mainly the fact saying it wasn't a big deal, but not that we should be having a global 9/11 one hour prayer or something like that. All I plan to do today is read the Escapist, watch Youtube, play Team Fortress 2, and goto work like any other day. Thanks for the understanding and yes Daft Punk is amazing and need to hurry up and go on tour again!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Soushi said:
torture of people both innocent and guilty (not that it really matters, its wrong always)
I absolutely agree with everything else you said, but I gotta rebut this. Some people deserve to be tortured to insanity and then left to die a slow, agonizing death. Those people are incredibly rare, fortuantely, but they do exist, generally in the form of serial rapists/killers. Some people simply enjoy inflicting suffering and harm on others, and they should be exterminated with great prejudice.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Agayek said:
To be entirely fair, the circumstances leading to Vietnam were a lot more dodgy on the US end than the War On Terror!(tm). I'm not saying you're wrong, just that retaliating against an attack on civilians is far different from the Gulf of Tonkin.
Well at the time of Vietnam noone wanted to hear there is any shady business involved, and well... paters tend to repeat.
Ofcourse we wont ever hear the full truth behind anything, but there are some odd things going on.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Cyrax987 said:
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
So because people don't know any of the 3000+ people killed, they shouldn't care and feel bad for those that lost their lives? I find it pretty distasteful that you don't think it wasn't a big deal considering it was a LOT of civilian deaths. Not trying to give you "This is 'Merica!" speech but seriously dude.

A lot of people were affected by it in a lot of emotional ways regardless of knowing any of the victims just like how Pearl Harbor affected the people that were alive when that happened. I'm sure other people feel the same for tragic attacks in their country as well.
I agree with you there, if it was maybe a dozen or so killed in a car bomb or something, I wouldn't really give two shits. But 3000+ after planes flew into the highest buildings in the world? Yeah, that's not something that is easily forgotten, even if they wanted to forget.
Not easily forgotten ?
Sierra Leone civil war. 50 000 dead (1991-2002)
Second Congo War. 3.8-7.8 million dead (1998-present)
Civil War in Chad more than 1 million dead (2005-2010)
Darfur 2003-2010 300 000 civilian deads alone (2003-2010)
How many people remember this?
I'm not saying 11/9 wasn't a horrible day and everything, BUT worse things happen in this world and they are mostly ignored.

(Captcha looked like something my little brother might have drawn.wtf?)

EDIT: Forgot to actually answer the question. A good friend of mine turned 18 that very day, and I would much prefer to celebrate her. (18 is "the big deal" here in Denmark. You get to vote, drive and all that cool stuff.) Other than that It WAS a terrible day, but it's not something I think about anymore.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Well at the time of Vietnam noone wanted to hear there is any shady business involved, and well... paters tend to repeat.
Ofcourse we wont ever hear the full truth behind anything, but there are some odd things going on.
Oh for sure, I fully agree with you there. The only thing I was trying to get at is that the current kerfluffle is far more ethically justifiable than Vietnam ever was.

Afghanistan made sense from that perspective, but Iraq just doesn't, so there's almost certainly ulterior motives. One of the theories one of my buddies has been throwing around is that Bush wanted to establish a US/West friendly nation in the Middle East, to allow us to keep an eye on Iran and their nuclear program. I don't know if I believe that, but it's certainly a lot more believable than "oh hey, we thought Saddam had nukes."

I fully expect there to be some serious shenanigans involved in the whole affair, but that doesn't mean it's anything like Vietnam, which was effectively "We know better than those silly Asians. Let's go in and show them. Oh wait, now we're all dead."

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
erto101 said:
I'm not saying 11/9 wasn't a horrible day and everything, BUT worse things happen in this world and they are mostly ignored.
Those worse things don't happen in first world countries though, and therefore get barely any media attention.

Besides that, there's a pervading sense of cultural superiority between first and third world countries. Yes, even yours. People tend to look at numbers like what you spouted and dismiss them as the consequences of a nation run by savages. It's not a conscious thing, but almost everyone in the first world will look at "Second Congo War. 3.8-7.8 million dead (1998-present)" and immediately think something like "well if they only had the education and sophistication of us, they wouldn't be killing each other!"

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
Blue Hero said:
I woke up like normal, got dressed like normal, ate breakfast like normal, and turned on my TV like normal. But then... there was no DBZ. Only news. I waited, and waited, and waited, but there was no DBZ. There wasn't even any Pokemon. I was so sad.

More on-topic now: I don't really care about 9/11. Yeah, it was bad and all that, but I'm not gonna have a minute of silence or anything like that.

hahaha you deserve a cookie my friend
i must say living in alberta canada basically on the other side of north america i do feel the same way sure it was bad and all but its not the worst that the world has gone through

The Atomic Irishman

Oct 11, 2009
Now, im not foreign. Nor do i qualify myeslf as being directly/traumatized or linked to the events that happened that many years ago. Hell, i was only elven! But there's something we all need to get straight here. You're all at rights to say "yeah, it happened, it was a big deal then. Its been a decade lets move on." But you have to remember something, this event, much like pearl harbor has become a "day that will live in infamy." To say that it wasn't an attack, is like saying some one hits you with a baseball bat and it cant be called assault with a deadly weapon. Events like these are burned into our national memory now. Now matter how little or how much anyone anywhere else cares or cares not to remember it. We, as a nation will remember it. Our fellow countries are never obligated to feel the same about it, that's your choice, your right. But to play it off like it didn't matter is ludicrous.

This was the first time since Pearl Harbor that we had ever been attacked on our own soil. It was one of the most catastrophic events to ever occur in New york City. And it is also among the most terrible, if not cataclysmic losses of life in one single instant ever witnessed in the United States. To watch those planes hit, and then hours later see the towers crumble in less than ten seconds in a cloud of dust and debris made my blood run cold.

What occurred in the aftermath, was another blow to our national soul. You have to understand us. we were furious, we were a nation on fire and we wanted revenge. Our anger for the first time became tangible and like a wounded animal we lashed out. It didn't matter who ti was who got in our way, we wanted answers, we wanted justice. We became blind and faithless to the world around us. It became an excuse for us to make war upon likely innocent peoples. And when regular American citizens realized it... it was already too late. We made our own coffin and for the next decade we would slowly and painfully pay for it with blood, money and the very core of who we are.

It was an embarrassment to Americans. We were all to blame. We now live in a world of our design and we have to live with it. But there is always hope, salvation and a chance to do whats right. My fellow foreigners, We did something shameful indeed, but always know. Some of us had the best intentions.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
It was a tragedy, but after this long i've become fed up and now i just see it as one big american whine-fest.

Cruel? Maybe. Cold? Sure.
I just don't get why americans seem to think the rest of the world should care about their problems if they don't give a shit about ours.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
what happened during 9/11 was horrible. what happened thereafter was even worse.
i feel sorry for the families that lost somebody that day. i feel anger for people who didnt lost anybody, but act like they did. abusing tragedy for own needs is a terrible thing to do.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
I doubt any intelligent person would actually think that.
You can't seriously tell me you've seen things like that and thought, even if only for an instant, either "that would never happen here" or "it's because they're third world".

It's an instinctive reaction, spawned by the root cause of racism. Specifically, what I like to call the monkey-sphere, or Dunbar's number [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number]. Essentially, because of the structure of the human brain you can only form a stable relationship with a set number of people (100-230 generally). Anyone beyond that is a statistic to you, not a real person.

Because of this dissociation, exclusivity is an instinctive trait. Part of exclusivity is the instinctive belief that whatever group you are in is better than the others, by virtue of the fact that you're in it. Culturally, we've been able to grow to the point where, for the most part, races are less of a dividing line in the monkey-sphere, but money and societal status still stand firmly.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
It was an awful event, but it was awful due to the deaths of people who are assumed to have been innocent not because it happened to America.

When it happened we were called out of class to the assembly hall and a (small) TV was set up where the news was being shown. We saw the second plane strike, not sure if it was live but I think it was.

My thoughts now? The anniversary of a sad event, but I don't commemorate or think very much about the blitz, which was a hundred times worse and happened on the same country/island as me, so why would I think overly about 9/11?

My gran went down south to meet my grandad, who was serving on the Russian convoys, on his leave. I remember her telling me about how stunned she was when she saw Manchester, or should I say, what was left of Manchester.

I live in Scotland by the way.

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
I actually live right near ground zero, you can see the whole from the window in my lobby and I didn't stay home last night because getting in and out of my area is such a hassle today.

But yeahh.... 9/11 was a travesty and whether you live in the U.S. or not the incident has had some kind of impact on you. The event contributed to the recession and economic downturn within the U.S. which has had some kind of effect on nearly every other nation outside the U.S.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I don't want to sound rude but well..... I stopped caring after less than a year - it wasn't anything THAT big. I mean if it was hundreds of thousands then I'd understand of course! And the fact all those people were innocent is terrible too.

But really - I was practically insulted to see a reference to it in my local newspaper. It's REALLY getting old now, people die of a lot worse, a lot more in other country's and you never see news on that do you? In short:
Yes it was terrible, but we REALLY need to move on it's getting pathetic.... I expect most of the family's just want to move on with their lives too! I mean how would you feel if you saw it on T.V yet again after all this time?

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Number 1: Fuck you, 3000+ civilians died when two planes were rammed into two of the taller buildings in the world. It was "such a big thing".

Number 2: Just because it doesn't have emotional meaning doesn't mean it wasn't important.

Number 3: What do you mean by "The whole 'They attacked us' thing is disgusting"? We got attacked. It's basically the same effect as if someone fired a cruise missile into the WTC, just low budget.

Edit: Also ramming a plane into a building is just like firing a cruise missile at one. It's an act of war.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Agayek said:
Satsuki666 said:
I doubt any intelligent person would actually think that.
You can't seriously tell me you've seen things like that and thought, even if only for an instant, either "that would never happen here" or "it's because they're third world".

It's an instinctive reaction, spawned by the root cause of racism. Specifically, what I like to call the monkey-sphere, or Dunbar's number [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number]. Essentially, because of the structure of the human brain you can only form a stable relationship with a set number of people (100-230 generally). Anyone beyond that is a statistic to you, not a real person.

Because of this dissociation, exclusivity is an instinctive trait. Part of exclusivity is the instinctive belief that whatever group you are in is better than the others, by virtue of the fact that you're in it. Culturally, we've been able to grow to the point where, for the most part, races are less of a dividing line in the monkey-sphere, but money and societal status still stand firmly.
I have never thought either of those.

'Third-world' countries are in the state they are in because what we now count as 'First-world' countries took it upon themselves to run in to them, take everything of value (including the people) and kill anyone that showed the slightest resistance.

We continue to ruin these countries through the diamond and oil trades.

It's our fault.

Could it happen here? No. But only because we're making it happen somewhere else.