How or why did your parents choose your name?

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
I was named after several English kings/princes in the hopes that I would grow up to be strong and noble.

Well that worked out well, didn't it parents!

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Brutal Peanut said:
Not sure. You know,....I never really asked. But I have noticed something about the names of the women in my family.
Tell me if you notice what it is.

Herminia
Sylvia
Manuela
Sandra (2)
Trina
Julia
Lisa
Marella
Vanessa
They all end with an A?

OT: My mother wanted a girl, and was going to name her Nikita after the song, but when I was born with a little wee-wee she went with Nick instead.

starslasher

May 21, 2011
Lizardon said:
My first name was just picked from a list of names in a book. But they choose an uncommon way to spell it so everyone gets it wrong.
My middle name is my dad's first name.
Yeah, my name as well as my brother's were picked from a book of names as well. They were looking more into the meaning of the names. My name, Imad, is Arabic for "Pillar" or a "Strong Supporter", mainly for the aspect of being strong. I think that it's a pretty cool meaning, so I'm proud of my name, even though the vast majority of people I meet don't pronounce it correctly :p

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Mine was from a newspaper article about two boys, and they thought of the names was quite nice.

91stCataclysm

Dec 19, 2008
My parents wanted to go for a traditional-if-semi-rare Jewish name and named me Yoav (pronounced YO-uv) after King David's chief warlord, Yoav son of Tsruyah.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
My first name's Alexander, which is handy for me as it translates into a lot of languages & I've got family spread all over the globe.

I'm not kidding, I'm related to people in Russia, Ukraine, Australia, Canada, USA, South Africa and China.

Shit, my family's big.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
I was named after my grandfather. Tom. Well thats the short Thomas really. It's a sucky name I'm going to change it in afew years.
I'd advise against that... It's a decent enough name and I'm pretty sure there would be a LOT of hassle over changing your name, which simply wouldn't be worth it in the long term.

As for me, I'm not entirely sure why I was given the name I have... No specific reason I believe.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My parents were hippies back in the day. So I was named after a river.

Yes, seriously.

Luckily the river in question is called The Murray River. So it could have been worse.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I was named my first name as it was almost impossible to make fun of, as opposed to my last name which is far too easy to make fun of

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
apparently my nan was pregnant with a boy which was going to be called Kevin. she had a miscarriage so just had 3 daughters, one of which being my mum. i was called Kevin after the child my nan lost

gavinator93

Mar 22, 2009
first two letters from dads name(garry) last three from grandads name(mervin)
my mum wanted to call me garreth(sp?) i like that name better.

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
Because it's hard to insult it with childish rhymes.

Not very cool, lol.

standokan

May 28, 2009
My first name, I don´t know, maybe because it sounds like my fathers and grandfathers name (both Jan) but I doubt it, my name´s Stan btw. I got my middle name (Antonie) from my granny.