I am so sick of entitlement

David Hebda

Apr 25, 2011
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
Its worse then that, homophobia is the fear of BEING homosexual (personally I freaking hate when people use the word gay, gay means happy, joyful, lighthearted not homosexual, also queer meaning odd strange or peculiar not homosexual STOP SUBVERTING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!

viranimus said:
Seriously, I am. If I never hear that word for the rest of my days on this planet it will be too soon. I don't know If I am aware of another word so highly overused and misused. Another one is Nuclear. Having heard its pronunciation butchered so often by so many people it grinds my teeth to hear it anymore.

Think we all have words that grate on our nerves like this, So the question is, what words are you tired of /hate hearing?
I was so hoping this was going to be a rant against government entitlements and social programs, ah well.

Hydro14 said:
'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.
To reduce by 1/10th for those of you who don't know, far to many people seem to think it means to destroy or obliterate.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.
Awesome to induce total fear and terror. It does not mean something is cool or kick ass, it means you are terrified of it, like piss yourself and fall on the ground crying terror. Used to describe the God of the bible, not a new car or tv show. Ya, I couldn't agree with you more.

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
Racist. I have heard people call things racist even though it doesn't relate to what racist is describing in their sentences.
i.e.
Random Jerk: "Those people banned me from their server for being a jerk."
Idiot Friend: "That's so racist!"
(Assuming jerks aren't a race of their own, which they are not.)

IkeGreil29

Jul 25, 2010
How about how twitter and Facebook have butchered language? U goin 2 the mvies? R u goin 2 see captain merica?
AUGH! If it's personal notes or quickly jotting down a message, fine, but at least have the decency to write properly TT__TT

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
David Hebda said:
viranimus said:
Seriously, I am. If I never hear that word for the rest of my days on this planet it will be too soon. I don't know If I am aware of another word so highly overused and misused. Another one is Nuclear. Having heard its pronunciation butchered so often by so many people it grinds my teeth to hear it anymore.

Think we all have words that grate on our nerves like this, So the question is, what words are you tired of /hate hearing?
I was so hoping this was going to be a rant against government entitlements and social programs, ah well.
Ahh, sorry, cant help you there, However they made an entire network that would sate your thirst for rants against ..... that word...to your hearts content. However I am guessing you already knew that.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
liljabba said:
"All of the sudden"

No. Nope. Noooooooo. That is wrong, just so wrong it causes my physical pain.
This. Along with "alot". And "would of", "should of", "could of" (it's HAVE not OF, you morons). There's no argument here; these uses are blatantly wrong.

Also, people making up words that don't exist gets on my nerves, but they seem to be so widely accepted that it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle on that front.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Kargathia said:
Don't want to be a twat, but isn't saying one thing when you clearly mean something else sarcasm? (Not a rhetorical question)
It goes down as verbal irony, and sarcasm. Sarcasm is part of verbal irony, IIRC.

Another one: when people refer to reviews in terms of objectivity. A review is a personal opinion. Opinions are all subjective.

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
"bro" and "cluster.

I hate "bro" only when referring to an actual brother, it just sounds so forced. I have a brother, and i usually only call him by his name.

And "cluster"... i don't really know, its just the way people say it. CCCkkhhllluster. *shivers*

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
uzo said:
I get stroppy when someone uses 'of' where they should have used 'have' -- would of/should of vs. would have/should have.
Thank you!
In the right mindset, seeing a repeated usage of (predominately) 'should of' and (less so) 'would of' can be rage-inducingly annoying to me. Go back to school! Your parents brought you through it for a reason.
It makes no sense, even from a linguistic evolution point of view. Should of what? Should of New Hampshire? It doesn't work, it will not work if it becomes the norm because of cannot be used in that context. Don't do it.

I can forgive the usage of your as a synonym for you are and their for they are and there, but if you repeatedly use it despite being a native english speaker, something went wrong in your education. English is only my second language and it grinds my gears to see that happen, how can a native speaker just accept that kind of mistake?

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I also hate the word racist because it keeps being used incorrectly. You can't be "racist" against gamers, or retarded people, or gingers. NONE OF THOSE ARE RACES. The word you're looking for is PREJUDICED.

Get it right people!
Very much agreed with this one. And a lot of the time when people do it they try to justify it by saying "languages evolve". No, that's not a case of languages evolving. That's a case of being too fucking lazy to use the word that already exists to describe what you're talking about, so you use a similar one that's far too precise for the purpose you're using it for.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
IDTheftVictim said:
lol, doesn't reflect laughing at all, when I see it I can't help but think that the person isn't really laughing, but is just programmed to type it in with EVERY sentence.

I can already see someone replying to this with lol. Please don't
It's exactly my concern with 'lol'.
The person writing it will most definitely have a stoic expression, not even breaking a tiny smile but types it into the chat window anyways, because it is what you think people expect to hear. If it's not funny, don't type lol, because you are not laughing out loud. It's a conditioned response and personally I despise seing it. With a few friends I know it's genuinely an expression of their actual state, laughing at what I just said, but just as often I know the person just saved their time typing a real response by saying "lol".

If I take the time to write so much, take the time to at least say something longer than three letters in response.

Sep 14, 2009
Subwayeatn said:
"bro" and "cluster.

I hate "bro" only when referring to an actual brother, it just sounds so forced. I have a brother, and i usually only call him by his name.

And "cluster"... i don't really know, its just the way people say it. CCCkkhhllluster. *shivers*
i suppose that sound does annoy me also, my dad and my aunt do it purposely within earshot of myself with that sound, saying things like "Want to go get some caCKKKKKKKKKKKKKEKEKEKEKEKEKEEEEEEE" or "CKKKKKKKKKKKKould we use the weed waCKKEkKEKEKEKERRR when your done?"

it drives me insane, i know that it is just part of some languages/cultures/accents, but PLEASE SPEAK NORMAL ENGLISH LIKE YOU WERE TAUGHT TO DO, do not add that gargle "ckckckck" sound into words..

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
you should probably rename this post, it makes it look like another "stop being entitled bitches" thread
but I do agree, it is getting annoying

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Subwayeatn said:
"bro" and "cluster.

i suppose that sound does annoy me also, my dad and my aunt do it purposely within earshot of myself with that sound, saying things like "Want to go get some caCKKKKKKKKKKKKKEKEKEKEKEKEKEEEEEEE" or "CKKKKKKKKKKKKould we use the weed waCKKEkKEKEKEKERRR when your done?"

it drives me insane, i know that it is just part of some languages/cultures/accents, but PLEASE SPEAK NORMAL ENGLISH LIKE YOU WERE TAUGHT TO DO, do not add that gargle "ckckckck" sound into words..
I just wanted to say that i have no idea what you're talking about. How, exactly, do you draw out a "ck" sound? I've never heard that in my life.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
"homophobic." Just the word, not the usage.
It's a friggen' butchery of a word. "Homo" in this case means "same." Hence "homosexual" means sexuality towards the same gender, but "homophobic" should mean "fear of the same."
Sort of like "pyrokinetic" which should really be psychopyresis.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I'm sick of people not properly spelling or using words, especially contradictions. One is 'same difference' this is just a phrase for people who are stupid to define their laziness.
'lol' Instead of 'Thats funny' its 'LOL' and is quite irritating. Time to quote self because I don't fuck up.
"Be polite, be efficent, you have ten fingers, type with them and don't butcher your language." -Pajamas the Type Writer.
Its not that hard to type, on phones its acceptable, since you only have your thumb, but on the Computer and in real life, don't butcher your language.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Carbonic Penguin said:
canadamus_prime said:
Because it defies what I know of the english language, namely that words are supposed to have VOWELS in them in order to actually be considered words, and that's not counting prefixes and suffixes.
What about rhythm? But I guess 'y' is considered a semi-vowel or something...
Yes, you answered your own question. 'Y' is considered a vowel under certain conditions. Presumably in consideration of words that originated from Old English which did not have a letter 'I'.

Edit: I don't know that as fact, I'm just speculating.
Edit2: The part about the Old English that is.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lancer873 said:
psychopyresis.
Personally I like that word MUCH better than pyrokenisis but it sort of sounds like an STD that even bleach wont wash off, when you say it out loud.

theswordsmn

Nov 12, 2010
When someone is totally and completely wrong about something and they say "Oh, just kidding" to cover they're tracks.