Dec 1, 2009
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Megacherv said:
You'd rather play Unreal or Quake?

...I'll let this one slide...

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.
Word of warning, never play the "Better Customization" game with a PC gamer. 1999's Unreal Tournament probably had more customization options and mods than Reach... and came with an easy to use and powerful map editor. Didn't have jetpacks though. Did have wall-jumping if I'm remembering correctly... although that might have been UT 2003/4 that introduced that one.
i think if you're talking about Halo 3 and Reach then it's pretty safe to assume it's a console gamer we're talking about here
I read surprise in his statement. His statement that he was slow to warm to Halo makes me think he's a PC gamer who switched over to consoles.

I'm much the same way. I'm not a huge fan of Half-Life, but I find myself defending it from console fans out of habit. I'm the first to admit that it's not the end-all be-all and probably hasn't aged nearly as gracefully as Valve fans think it has... but it's release was probably the biggest seismic shift in first person gaming, completely transforming the way games were presented. You may not like the game, but it's still one of the most important releases of the genre.
well i didnt say i didn't like it. i have yet to play it, but from the demo i played awhile ago i'm interested.

i just don't want to get invested in a series that i'll never see the end of (since HL2 EP3 has yet to see the light of day and valve just keeps making other things)

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Netrigan said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Megacherv said:
You'd rather play Unreal or Quake?

...I'll let this one slide...

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.
Word of warning, never play the "Better Customization" game with a PC gamer. 1999's Unreal Tournament probably had more customization options and mods than Reach... and came with an easy to use and powerful map editor. Didn't have jetpacks though. Did have wall-jumping if I'm remembering correctly... although that might have been UT 2003/4 that introduced that one.
i think if you're talking about Halo 3 and Reach then it's pretty safe to assume it's a console gamer we're talking about here
I read surprise in his statement. His statement that he was slow to warm to Halo makes me think he's a PC gamer who switched over to consoles.

I'm much the same way. I'm not a huge fan of Half-Life, but I find myself defending it from console fans out of habit. I'm the first to admit that it's not the end-all be-all and probably hasn't aged nearly as gracefully as Valve fans think it has... but it's release was probably the biggest seismic shift in first person gaming, completely transforming the way games were presented. You may not like the game, but it's still one of the most important releases of the genre.
well i didnt say i didn't like it. i have yet to play it, but from the demo i played awhile ago i'm interested.

i just don't want to get invested in a series that i'll never see the end of (since HL2 EP3 has yet to see the light of day and valve just keeps making other things)
I'm iffy enough on the game to completely understand why people aren't into it. I think it's a great experience and it's a hell of a demonstration of narrative techniques, but there's not a whole lot of meat on the bones. The HL2 saga is up to three games and they still haven't revealed what the main bad guys are up to. You just end up travelling from one location to another, fighting some human that teamed up with the Combine... and end on a cliff-hanger without resolving much of anything.

But I do find myself a bit annoyed with the constant "Valve fanboys" nonsense. Unlike other popular developers, they've nurtured a lot of different properties. While Bungie handled Halo, two devs handled Call Of Duty, Valve is taking their Half-Life fanbase and introducing them to Portal, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress II, and Counter-Strike. All of them very different games. I've got massive respect for them even though I'm not a particular fan of any of their games... although Portal comes close.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
* FAN BOYS DO NOT READ*
I played HF2 (the orange box) Having not played the first one I was hoping the game wood recap me on the story so far, but it didn't. So begun the most boring game start ever to which I said "please tell me what the fuck is going on" At the start their was this police guy checking people in a line, "ok, my turn now" I thought but as soon as I walk near him he starts bashing my head in with an lightning baton, 30 minutes later I discover I was meant to run past him thanks for the help there half life.

later on after teleporting out the dam window I began being chased by people who I think are the police who are likely working for some evil corporation. After a while I get my hands on a pistol which I yelled "finally!" BUT as soon as I aim at someone I noticed that the cross hairs were bloody useless then ... well I had enough by then and found starring at the wall more fun.

All and all confusing as hell to a noob like me getting lost every 3 minutes and getting shot at by things I cant seem to find, BUT I might still go back to it after I finish with my plate of games at the minute so I will attack the rest of half life after shadow of the colossus
playstation 3 version coming out soon.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Blitzwarp said:
But my question, Escapist, is this: what's the game that you just don't get along with despite the general consensus labelling it as awesome?
No More Heroes (most tedious minigames on the wii), Heavy Rain(yay the first QTE collection since... Space Ace), and I feel the same way about half life: Portal was very cool, team fortress was okay, but I couldn't get into the main game.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
vongola_storm_G said:
* FAN BOYS DO NOT READ*
I played HF2 (the orange box) Having not played the first one I was hoping the game wood recap me on the story so far, but it didn't. So begun the most boring game start ever to which I said "please tell me what the fuck is going on" At the start their was this police guy checking people in a line, "ok, my turn now" I thought but as soon as I walk near him he starts bashing my head in with an lightning baton, 30 minutes later I discover I was meant to run past him thanks for the help there half life.

later on after teleporting out the dam window I began being chased by people who I think are the police who are likely working for some evil corporation. After a while I get my hands on a pistol which I yelled "finally!" BUT as soon as I aim at someone I noticed that the cross hairs were bloody useless then ... well I had enough by then and found stilling at the wall.

All and all confusing as hell to a noob like me getting lost every 3 minutes and getting shot at by things I cant seem to find, BUT I might still go back to it after I finish with my plate of games at the minute so I will attack the rest of half life after shadow of the colossus
Recap of HL1:

Shit blew up, portal opened, monsters came through, you shut down rift, get drafted by G-Man.

Apart from a few cast members returning (after dying dozens of time in the original game), there's not any story that really spills over. About all you need to know is you used to work with these people. No one knows what's going on with the G-Man, so you're as lost as everyone else.

Get lost and confused... pretty much every FPS made before games started pointing you to your next objective either via a mini-map or a directional arrow. HL2 is a pretty linear game, so it's actually a good deal less confusing than a game like Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, which often had you walking around a smallish area wondering where the hell you could possibly go next... and it being some tiny ledge down a bottomless pit that you can barely see and you have to jump down and hope you don't miss.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
I respect the Half Life series what it is but I couldn't get interested in them either.
However I think Valve is doing pretty good with Portal (even if it is a short game) and Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Tales of Symphonia (2) Dawn of the New World

I really enjoyed my several play throughs of the first Tales of Symphonia either alone or with friends and was sorely dissappointed and annoyed when the sequal came out. Three things discouraged me from progressing in this game: the slow pacing, the loss of the ability to actually traverse the world and find things like the 1st game since the 2nd game restricts the player to selecting your destination on a map, and the weak spirited male protagonist/spunky girl combination.

In the beginning of the game, every line of dialogue the protagonist has, he apologizes; he says "sorry" every time he opens his mouth and later a spunky girl comes flying through the air to save the day and "believe in him."

I almost started the intro over just to count how many times he said "sorry" but boredom killed that motivation.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Nearing9 said:
None of the people in this thread are special flowers.(/jk) Everyone hates/loves different things.

Thread contribution: I did not enjoy Half Life 2, I found the game play to be boring and the story wasn't enough to pull me in. I also had a lot of trouble finding ammo and ended up using the crowbar most of the time.

Heraklitus said:
I don't care for the "realistic" FPSs like the Call of Duty series. It think they glorify war and violence in a way that I find distasteful. I don't get the same feeling from more cartoony games like TF2.

I think there's a place for games like these if the material is treated well, I just don't enjoy them.
I've been thinking about this recently too. There's so much violence in the world and it's become a medium within itself for enjoyment. Not to say I'm some hippie, but you'd think by now considering all of our advancements, that our society wouldn't be promoting it to the extent it does.
I don't think we'll ever advance past war ^.^ It's always been a part of the human experience.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games.
It's funny because of the amount of threads the Escapist gets daily on this subject makes me believe 99.9% of the Escapist hates Half-Life.

You are nothing special my good man. Apologies. D:

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
vongola_storm_G said:
* FAN BOYS DO NOT READ*

later on after teleporting out the dam window I began being chased by people who I think are the police who are likely working for some evil corporation. After a while I get my hands on a pistol which I yelled "finally!" BUT as soon as I aim at someone I noticed that the cross hairs were bloody useless then ... well I had enough by then and found starring at the wall more fun.

There is no evil corporation, they are working for an alien race (or a coalition of assimilated and weaponized races, really) that is attempting to turn earth into a police state while they suck out our resources. The people work for them or even get themselves brainwashed in return for food or even the right for procreation.

With Half-Life the story isn't dished out for you like in, say, Mass Effect, you'll have to examine your surroundings and draw your own conclusions. With old newspaper clippings all over the place saying EARTH SURRENDERS, etc it's not really that subtle, but I do think it's one of the best ways to tell a story ever. But it evidently isn't for everyone.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I just couldn't stand Super Meat Boy. I love the soundtrack, but the game itself is nothing but frustrating.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
thatstheguy said:
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games.
It's funny because of the amount of threads the Escapist gets daily on this subject makes me believe 99.9% of the Escapist hates Half-Life.

You are nothing special my good man. Apologies. D:
Ach, sorry dude. Guess I haven't been around long enough to see the spamming of threads. :C

(Also I'm a girl. x_x)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Too many to list, though I'm with you on choices of late-90s shooters.

For a pertinent example, though... I dislike every online FPS I've tried since Unreal Tournament and its million mods became less than insanely popular.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Loved Half life, hated Half Life 2. Archaic shooting, terrible vehicle sections and a story that went nowhere although I admittedly didn't finish it.
Bioshock 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played. It failed at every single aspect the original succeeded in.
Black Ops campaign is utter bullshit. There's no variety, it's just all shooting all the time.

Those three games almost made me fall asleep during them.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (though apparently the sequel is way better, so I might need to sit through this frustrating piece of junk), the Persona games, Disgaea, and, I can't believe I'm saying this knowing how much of a DC fangirl I am... Batman: Arkham Asylum. I dunno why exactly. It just didn't "click" with me, I guess. It's a good game and all, just not LIEK SUPER DUPER GOTY BEST GAME THIS GENERATION.

Shotzey

Mar 7, 2009
Half-Life: Not that I find it bad, just not "Z0mg best gameh EVAH!!!!"

Call of Duty after WaW, Played MW2 for a few months just to play with friends and found out I reaallly hate it. Black Ops is no better.

Mass Effect: Visiting planets and generally ignoring most of my crew while fighting with same-y weapons against same-y enemies. I played for close to 8 hours without having fun only to find out that apparently the endgame is what makes it good. Endgame =\= 50= hours of boredom. The sequel also made it too, shooterish for my liking.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I love how everyone is saying Call of Duty, as if they were being original. Pretty much everyone on this site hates Call of Duty.

OT: I dislike the vast majority of Valve's games. The only one that I find tolerable is TF2, but valve's servers don't seem to work whenever I try to use them.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Lots of stuff, but if I had to take a pick, I'd probably say Bioware's writing. Especially the romance. Oh god, the horrible romance.