I don't understand male virgin shaming.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Short answer: because culture.

Long answer: because of the thousands of years of built up culture trends for sexual behavior and gender relationships. Same reason slut shaming exists. You'll have to go do some research on the issue though as I don't have a reference to any good articles on it.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
I know from experience many women find virgin guys hot. Sort of like unopened presents I guess or something.
I've heard this too.

That there's a certain appeal to 'deflowering' your partner for the first time.
Only if they happen to look like the Jonas Brothers. This is hardly a gendered issue.

Everybody would ideally like to have first pick of the unopened presents that have been left under the Christmas tree, but nobody wants to open up the dingy Boxing Day left overs.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
I have honestly never encountered virgin shaming in my life. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it.

So there you go.

AwesomeWunderbar

Jul 31, 2012
hooblabla6262 said:
SinisterGehe said:
hooblabla6262 said:
It's not wrong or bad to be a virgin. Just kind of sad.
The same way I'd be sad if you told me you'd never tried ice cream.
There is this incredible experience that some are missing out on.
And you supposedly only live once.

I get that some people are scared, or that they want the first time to be perfect.
Frankly, I blame poor parenting and sappy love stories.
They either end up making sex this frightening entity which must be handled with a hazmat suit, or they place it high up on a pedestal where no one can reach.

I used to be the type to idolize. Sex was my passion, and I hadn't even had sex yet.
After my first time, I still loved sex. Not to the point I had previously.
It became real to me, instead of some distant idea.

Oh, and don't give me shit for comparing sex to ice cream =P
Woah... Just... Woah... You think people can be happy while missing an experience?
you re acting like you have experienced everything there is to experience and there for can comment about people who haven't experienced things that you have? Ever heard of variety of life? Have you been at the bottom of the ocean ridges? On top of a volcano? swam with the sharks? had religious experience?

Do you know what experience you are missing for not being a virgin?
All experiences in life are equal!!! you can't say my life's experiences are worth any less than yours...
Take a deep breath and calm yourself. That wasn't at all what I was saying. At all. Like, not even close.
I think all experiences in life are important, and though I have lived through some pretty incredible ones, I have not nearly had even close to all of them.
But I have had sex. And I can honestly say that not having sex is missing out on a life experience, and a pretty big one considering even your pet dog is doing it. (I'm gonna assume you have a dog)

But please, enlighten me as to the experiences that I am missing from not being a virgin. Keeping in mind that I was born one, and had been one for 17 years.

Also, not all experiences are equal. I get that we live in an age where everyone spews the word equality, but it's all bullshit. Having a shit is not the same as diving out of a plane, unless you shit out something truly awesome.

Quick Edit: There is nothing wrong with being a virgin. I just think you are missing out if you go your whole life without. Especially if it is out of fear.
Not really. It depends on why your "missing out"
For your example with ice cream. What if they don't like it or the thought of it?
I will never have sex, the idea disgusts me. But that doesn't mean I'm missing out on anything. It just means that I have decided to not do something that apparently most people put a whole lot importance on.

StarsintheBlood

Oct 12, 2010
Every established culture has had some sort of theory on the right and wrong way to live life, with sex often getting special mention. You should wait, you shouldn't, you should only have it with someone you care about, you should only have it with one person, you shouldn't do it that often... really, just let people do whatever they want.
I'm a female virgin in college, and I've been told several times that there's something wrong with me because I don't desire intimacy (with any gender). I've been accused of having a hormonal imbalance or some psychological block, and it's just stupid. I don't like people judging me for my asexuality, so I'm certainly not going to judge anyone else for their sexual exploits (or lack thereof) no matter what the gender. It's not my business and I don't care enough to judge you for it. So long as it's consensual, I don't need to know what sex you're having, how often you're having it, or with whom.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
bleys2487 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
bleys2487 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
GunsmithKitten said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
I could give zero fucks. I was crazy into girls when I was 14 but then I just realised "Whats the point? Why am I chasing after these shallow creatures?"
So I'll probably stay a virgin for at least another year (I have a bet with friends that I can turn 20 and still have it. The pots up to £30 now) but even then I'll be not chasing after it. Call me sad but I prefer my games, my 40k miniatures and a good laugh with mates to female company. Sure I can talk to them but if I'm not drunk then I just give them cold indifferance most of the time.

People can point how how sad or how I'm missing out all they want but my life is mine. I don't want to share it with anyone.
I can understand not feeling the need to pursue a relationship, but for cripes sake, does that require you being a jerk to the opposite gender all around?
Its the best thing to keep them away from me. I can be nice to them when I can be bothered with thier bullshit.

Let's just hate on an entire gender because god forbid one of them was mean to you at some point in time. Clearly they all must be shallow creatures. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your generalizing point of view of them. It's clearly all their fault and every single one of them for the way you feel.

/sarcasm off

As a woman, I wouldn't understand why any woman would want to be around you in the first place. Let alone deal with your 'bullshit', especially if you're just going to generalize us all as 'shallow creatures' and not human being simply because we were born with a vagina.

Grow up.
I'm not generalising because one was mean to me. Be it man or woman I can't stand idiots, people who don't think about anything past the next weeks booze or what clothes they are wearing. I can handle people being mean to me, believe me, especially women. I spent two years chasing drunkingly after them and then stopped because it became boring and felt like a grind. Tell you what, I'll talk to a girl if she can tell me the full title of Ulthwe, knows what Brisingr means, knows how many shots a DMR takes to drop a Spartan then I'll consider talking to her. Because she will have somehow defied stereotype and even thenit would be genuine interest but then she'd be just me and I don't want to go out with me.

As I said to someone else I don't walk around like some patriarchal tyrant and verbally beat on women. One word answers if I can't be bothered and feign interest with a smile if I can. Except its gonna be all cold, one word answers this year and general feedback from the thread shows me that people get riled up even when I describe my attitude. I am not paying out £30 because I got lax.

On a side note, notice how my avatar is a woman? Just pointing that out. Idranel is cool as shit. She's mystical and can see the future and is nowhere near boring.
1. Ulthanash Shelwé?

2. Fire? (4th book sucked, loved the other three)

3. 5 shots? Assuming one is a head shot? I haven't played Halo while I've been away at the University for the past year. That's what I remember it being though. Depends on the spartan's shield too.

Anyway I tried. Didn't look the answers up either. Won't lose any sleep if you don't believe that or not. Some of the answers might be wrong. Chances are that they are. But, hey. I gave it a shot just off of memory.

Have fun with your thirty euro.

p.s. maybe you shouldn't have drunkenly chased after them. Like attracts like, sir. Give it another go.

And yes. I'm a girl. I speak three languages. I like sci-fi fantasy. Warhammer is awesome. I led an alliance in AoR with 200+ in it. I drive a stick 2011 camaro (actually drive, not like the idiots on the road today). I am trained in krav maga. I'd rather sit in vent with my friends around the world than go out any day of the week and play games on steam or mmos.

Not trying to show off. But, not every woman out there is a babbling, talkative, self centered *****. Yes, I know they are aplenty. I'll apologize on behalf of my gender for them. We're not all like that. People just notice the loudest ones.

There are other women like me too, on this forum. There are probably women here (no doubt in my mind) that know all these answers for sure and don't have to go on memory. There are women here who could easily trump me.
Ah, see? You sound like a lot of the ladies I know.

@VeneratedWulfen
As an indicator for how useless that particular metric of "breaking the mold" is, my responses, as a guy with a head over-packed full of extensive geeky knowledge of a million different sorts, would be:

*I'm a living encyclopedia of Warhammer 40,000 info, but I'll be honest, I'm only half convinced I'd've gotten the full name of Ulthwe right. I can tell you what year the Battle Of Macragge was, or how old Torias Telion would actually be if GW understood things like "math" and "addition", how Eldrad Ulthran died, how Ork biology works, why the Tyranids have entered the Milky Way, which Eldar Gods are still living, who the 5th major Chaos God is, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Hell, I could teach a college-level course on the lore of 40k, starting from before the first "War In Heaven".....but you happened to choose a bit of formality minutiae from a sub-set of trivia that is only relevant to the rare Eldar enthusiast.
So you MIGHT have eliminated the likelihood of a given girl being an Eldar fanatic. Could she still be a Warhammer 40,000 player? Easily. Could she be a 40k fanatic? Yep. Could she even me an Eldar player? Yep.

*No idea how many shots any gun in Halo takes to kill anything. Hell, even in the games that are my specialty (TF2, L4D2, etc) I have no idea how many shots it takes any gun to kill something. I just inherently "know" the exact amount of time I have to pull the trigger before a given enemy dies and I don't have to bother waiting around to be sure he's dead. It has frankly never occurred to me to actually count.
I know one guy who is really into Halo, one guy who likes it okay and his girlfriend who seems to like it a lot more than him, and 1 girl who is kind of a Halo fanatic and trumps the other three combined. That last one is the only one I'd expect MIGHT possibly know how many shots a given gun takes to kill something.
As far as I know, the rest of my friends (guys and girls) and myself, either think Halo is kinda bland and dumb, or we just basically don't care.

Not a clue in the world what "Brisingr" was even from 'til I looked it up, but then what is that supposed to prove? I could name hundreds of miscellaneous sci-fi and fantasy words you'd be unlikely to be aware of, and a great many of them being from one fairly major series or another.

So you've set a bar to test a "basic" knowledge that is:
* one part obscure enough that only a specific subset(Eldar players) of 40k fanatics would know it
* one that revolves around a fact so trivial that people aren't likely to notice the analogous information in a context relative to them when they're actively doing it
* and one part relies someone having read at least one of three specific fairly decent young-adult fantasy novels, which were only briefly shoved into the spotlight in an effort to capitalize on the popularity of Harry Potter, and it discounts the notion that they might have read any of the COUNTLESS other fairly decent-fantastic fantasy novels that are out there.

Even if those three things aren't specifically what you're looking for, has it ever occurred to you that YOU might not be aware of things that some random girl is well versed in, and they're things you'd love to know about...if you knew to look into them?
Relationships, of ANY type, tend to be a LOT more interesting when the people involved have similar tastes and aren't all completely familiar with the same things and retreading old ground.
Dude who loves Warhammer Fantasy and chick who loves DragonLance have plenty of stuff to share with each other.
Guy and gal who both love Lord Of The Rings can talk about stuff they already know for a while, but eventually they'll both be hunting for something new to entertain them.
The whole shared experience and "he/she showed me that!" tends to be a stronger bonding agent than two people who independently know the same thing.
People who all independently know the same thing is fun short term. That's what conventions are for.
But maybe you DO realize that, since you said that that only proves she's you, and you don't want to date you. But then, again, what exactly ARE those trivia questions supposed to theoretically prove to you?
Funniest thing of all about all this, to me - I personally couldn't care less if a girl I liked cares about sci-fi/fantasy/video games/etc.
For the most part, I've assumed for YEARS now that the female friend I'm most interested in has only the most minor, average, interest in any of that stuff. I'm just attracted to her for entirely separate reasons.
Recently finding out that she's fairly proud of her Marvel & DC coffee mug collection, has put some passing thought into how she'd fight in the Zombie Apocalypse, and encountering her surprise enthusiasm upon seeing a poster for The Hobbit when I took her to the movies a few weeks ago - in which she said something to the effect of "Oh man, too bad that's not out yet! Then I'd've been like 'forget the movie we're going to see right now! We're going to see The Hobbit together!'" - .....those things all make me a little extra proud of her, and are just surprise bonuses to me.
She could basically have no interests in any of my hobbies (and honestly doesn't really seem to), and I'd not like her any less.
Just seems funny to me how narrowly people focus when trying to meet people.

Female friend, that I lived with for half a year and wouldn't at all mind actually dating, is only very slightly into video games, and is mostly just interested in fantasy of all types.
I saw her almost literally 24/7 for 6 months, and we never got bored of each other.
Our shared interest in fantasy stuff had very little to do with that.
Now she's dating a guy I can only describe as a "car guy" who's SUPER into stuff like Halo and not that interesting in general. They seem to get along fine, despite her not giving a damn about cars, and not really caring about games (especially not Halo).

Another female friend of mine...she's basically interested in 90% of the same things I am, and we can hang out and ramble about any random nonsense all we want....but I have NO urge to date her. At all.

In my experience, there's more things significant to two humans getting along at ANY level, than just hobbies and interests.
*Say you meet a guy who has all the EXACT same hobbies and interests as you....but he's a complete asshole. Do you want to hang out with this guy and be his friend JUST because he likes the same crap
Flip side, say you meet a traveling Bhuddist monk, and you and him have no interests or hobbies in common whatsoever, but he's obviously a real friendly, easy-going, reliable dude, who looks out for the people around him just because he feels he should. Do you avoid being friends with him just because he's never even heard of Halo or any other random thing you're into?
I'll just stop here. I could probably go on forever.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Zhukov said:
Oh, come on.

It's not that bloody complicated.

The vast majority of male virgins are virgins because for one reason or another they have failed to attract a mate. (They will of course deny this with the ferocity of a thousand blazing supernovas, but they're not fooling anyone.) So they are made fun of for their failure in the same way others are fun of for theirs.

Then they get together in the musty corners of the internet and claim not to understand what anyone's talking about and reassure each other that, no really, they're just not focussed on relationships right now and society just doesn't understand.

It's obviously not a nice thing to do to people, but that's why it happens.
Quoted for Truth

For your information there comes an age (around 25-30) when being a female virgin (or even not having a relationship, for that matter) is frowned upon too.

On an unrelate note: I heard that if you can't find someone with whom you can mate before you die, Carles Darwing comes at night, ***** slaps you and laughs at your inability to perpetuate your genes.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Vault101 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
cause I'm sure theres a whole line of ladies queing up with an attitude like tha, no wonder you must fight to keep them away/sarcasm

honestly though why don't you give 51% of people in the world a chance? (I don;t mean dating..I mean think of us as humnan beings first and foremost) you may find that some of us are actually like you?
I'm good at making people thinking I like them when I don't. Anyway I ain't risking it. £30 man. I could get 9 Desperados with that.
... What the hell is wrong with you?
You are proud of being an asshole? You "ain't risking" that, god forbid, you might actually like a woman? And you're selling your own (albeit obviously ignorant) dignity for a measly 30 bucks?
You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Your whole "I have requirements X, Y and Z before I consider someone human at all!" bullshittery is, well, bullshit. Personally, I would blank out on every single one of those. And I'm "at least" male - as you would probably phrase it.

Noone asks you to start banging every woman you so much as look at. But for god's sake, get off that gorram horse of yours.
It's one thing to consider everyone an idiot - it's another to refuse to even accept them as humans for it.

Lola Lazerface

Nov 26, 2012
sumanoskae said:
I'll say it again, virgin shaming is stupid, slut shaming is stupid. What mature, consenting people do with their free time is their business, don't be a narrow minded, dogmatic jackass.

We should all cease these ridiculous, invasive and obnoxious practices.

Why do people do this? because people do things for no reason at all, this is the way it's been done for a while and they never think to question it.

They're either too intellectually lazy an/or apathetic to even consider the issue, too stupid to know any better, crazy enough that it actually makes sense to them, or their lying an/or pursuing some ulterior motive.

Hopefully, at some point enough of us will find it more trouble than it's worth for whatever reason, and we'll abandon it.
And that's really all that needs to be said.

Better yet, I think I can find the innocence quite attractive.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
If a key opens a lot of locks,then its a master key. so to speak.

Key being a male.
lock being poontang...

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
You're preaching to the choir here I think.

darklilac said:
Men are depicted as and expected to be aggressors, being sexually aggressive is the "proper" way to be a man. If you aren't, then you are looked down upon by other men. On the off hand, women who have sex with lots of men are seen as disgusting sluts, so really that makes no sense. Men have to be having sex with someone, right?

It's a messed up expectation sprouting from the patriarchy and how men are supposed to be dominant.

Personally someone's sex life and who they sleep with isn't anyone's business, and I don't know why the world cares so much about it.
Few men would admit to thinking like this but this type of psychology is at the root of it. It's a totally outdated and silly way of thinking about sexuality. I'm not obsessed with sex, I enjoy it but it's not my life's goal. I don't care how much or little sex any other person gets and if someone cares about my sex life then I don't consider them intelligent enough to care about their opinion. Peer pressure sucks!

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Because the most important thing a man can do in his life is insert his penis into a woman's vagina. And interestingly, the worst thing a woman can do with HER life is let more than one man do that to her.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
crusador90 said:
I don't understand why men who have sex with any girl at all are deserving of more respect than guys who have not.
Even though I'm well past that age where that should matter and I don't have peers who call me out on not pursuing relationships or even one night stands with women, I still wonder why this exists in the first place.
It is just a way to insult someone. For example say you spend your time pursuing other interests instead of sex there must be something wrong with you. They always think the way they live their life is the only way which is extremely arrogant. They also assume that all virgins have "failed' in some way or another to find a mate due to being socially inadequate or whatever.

Men can be virgins for many reasons. They might not be willing to have sex with just anyone. They might be playing it safe with concern for pregnancy and STDs. Of course people will say "just use a condom". I don't have enough fingers to count how many men I know who knocked up a chick before they even hit 20 years old.

NogalesBoxBoy

Dec 1, 2012
This is probably one of the saddest threads I've read on the internet. Also one of the funniest. Keep making excuses guys.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
FEichinger said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Vault101 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
cause I'm sure theres a whole line of ladies queing up with an attitude like tha, no wonder you must fight to keep them away/sarcasm

honestly though why don't you give 51% of people in the world a chance? (I don;t mean dating..I mean think of us as humnan beings first and foremost) you may find that some of us are actually like you?
I'm good at making people thinking I like them when I don't. Anyway I ain't risking it. £30 man. I could get 9 Desperados with that.
You are proud of being an asshole? You "ain't risking" that, god forbid, you might actually like a woman? And you're selling your own (albeit obviously ignorant) dignity for a measly 30 bucks?

Your whole "I have requirements X, Y and Z before I consider someone human at all!" bullshittery is, well, bullshit. Personally, I would blank out on every single one of those. And I'm "at least" male - as you would probably phrase it.

Noone asks you to start banging every woman you so much as look at. But for god's sake, get off that gorram horse of yours.
It's one thing to consider everyone an idiot - it's another to refuse to even accept them as humans for it.
I'm quite proud of being me and living my life for me and no-one else. I don't aspire to be a paragon of virtue or some white knight, just me. I am friendly around people I like and reserved around those i don't. My friends experience with girls have all been terrible so yeah, I won't risk it. Not till after another 10 months at least.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
FEichinger said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Vault101 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:

Why are you arguing with this guy?
If a sexist wants to remove themselves from interaction with women, then on behalf of women I would say : Great! Let's make it forever!
We're not losing out on anything.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
FEichinger said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Vault101 said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:

I'm quite proud of being me and living my life for me and no-one else. I don't aspire to be a paragon of virtue or some white knight, just me. I am friendly around people I like and reserved around those i don't. My friends experience with girls have all been terrible so yeah, I won't risk it. Not till after another 10 months at least.
I like how simply stating that you don't wish to pursue romantic or sexual relationships causes several women to throw insults and accusations of sexism just before claiming to be disinterested; point being a disinterested person wouldn't feel the need to respond.

After several people stating their lack of interest in you they also try to prove to you personally how wrong you are by following your line of though, something a disinterested person wouldn't bother with.

Kind of funny that in attempting to prove their point they end up proving yours right.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
srm79 said:
It makes perfect sense. Think about this way: if you have a key that can open lots of different locks, you would have to say that's a pretty damn awesome key, right? But if you have a lock that can be opened by lots of different keys, well, that's a pretty shitty lock. Amirite?
check your math, kid. your philosophy up there boils down to this: in order to make the numbers match up (men must have ALL the sex, females must have none!), we need to create a society of exclusively homosexual male couples. i admire the spirit of progressiveness and acceptance you're furthering, but girls have needs too. and we can (and absolutely should) satisfy those with no stigma attached. so, i can make keys to my house for a new resident or two, to borrow your metaphor, so long as it doesn't get too crowded for me personally. if my neighbor doesn't like it, he doesn't need a key and can do whatever he wants.

OP: male virgins used to just be an oddity to me. attractive guys can get pretty much any girls they want, i thought, so the ones who don't get sex either are unattractive or think they are. but then i foun out one of my most attractive male friends is still a virgin and is saving himself for marriage, so i reevaluated. male virgins and female virgins are the same as more sexually experienced males and females: they can both do whatever the hell they want with their bodies and nobody should care. but my original point of view probably has a lot to do with virgin shaming.