I hate to be the guy, but why the hate for COD?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
nbamaniac said:
arc1991 said:
bombadilillo said:
It is so wildly popular that other games try to copy it and bring down other series. Thats why its hated.
Also this^

Completely agree. Other games need to try new things instead of copying Cod (Looking at you Medal Of Honour)
Actually the 1st CoD (with the WW2 stuff) was influenced by the great MoH: Allied Assault. And yeah pardon me for being a douche :)

EDIT: And on a side note, i believe CoD: MW was wonderful, MW2 was ok, Black Ops was decent, and the new MoH was batshit boring.
Maybe i should of been a bit more clear, i was on about the new MOH not any of the old ones :p i know COD copied them :p

My bad my bad xD

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Dr Jones said:
Accountfailed said:
Exactly! He actually got me thinking, thats the reason i made this thread! I mean he is kinda right.. Within time Minecraft is an abomination from hell..
If you were around for this years march mayhem, Minecraft apparently is already an abomination from hell. The difference between Minecraft, Angry Birds and Farmville(which was the insult the game was pelted with in MM 2011) is that Minecraft isn't appealing to a different demographic, or a casual iphone game crowd, it's still a nerd game, nerds play it, nerds like it, the stupidity's never been so transparent then with Minecraft, seeing haters go to absolutely extreme lengths to justify them hating it because it's popular so they can be internet hipsters is disgusting. Seriously, somebody find me an argument against Minecraft that makes sense and I'll eat my hat.

(just a side note: I'm using the term "nerd" to describe the average gamer/geek/escapist forum member, it's not intended as an insult and isn't actually an insult in this part of the world, it just means you harbor an intensive interest in something.)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I don't understand why people really hate it.

I see it as sub-par, though. The Multiplayer is horrible, but the single-player is fun for the short while it lasts.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Dr Jones said:
senordesol said:
Now MW is so far removed from its original artistic premise that it's just boring.
I have never, EVER expect to hear MW and artistic in the same sentence. (naw:D) But i agree to a degree (heh). Activision has been, is, and always will be an arse. And true that CoD does not really take any chances anymore. It's the same-ol' same-ol'.
But i think that you're overrating the death scene. Twas cool, but again, people were back then genuinely excited for the multiplayer. It was a huge draw.
Eh...never really been one for MP, so I can't really comment on that. I'm all about the story and MW1 kept me a hell of a lot more interested than MW2 when I played. I read about half of the 'leaked' MW3 doc and even on paper I was like 'meh'.

My point is: MW1 was popular in that it had a semblance of a soul. MW2 made many great technical improvements, but it was functionally a homunculus. If MP is so GD important, I'd rather they just do THAT, and not flail around with boring SP.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Dr Jones said:
Vault boy Eddie said:
DrOswald said:
I have 4 issues with the game:

1. The game is good, but never great. Despite this, every game reviewer in the world gives it a 10 (when it deserves about an 8) and tells everyone it is the video game manifestation of Christ.
To prove your point, IGN. Or, as I know it, the Call of Duty Official Website. Where they all get 10s and every game, including barbie games, get compared, and fail to live up to, all CoD games.
That ain't COD's fault guys.. Really.. If you disagree with several reviewers upon a game fine, your opinion, but still if they find the game good and you dont.. Is that the reason that COD sucks? Reviewers like it instead of other games?
Actually, I don't think MW2, for example, got good scores on merit or because the reviewer liked it. I think juggernaut games get perfect scores because reviewers are under immense pressure to give perfect scores to these games from several directions, including but not limited to threats of pulled advertising revenue from the game producer, threats from employer's of said reviewers, and pressure from readers to validate their own views. Many games get perfect or near perfect scores when they really should not, such as MW2, the entire halo franchise, most zelda's, most mario's, the uncharted games, etc. All of these games are good or even great games, but not perfect 10's.

Like I said before, I don't hate the game, I hate what it represents and what it has caused.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
When something can be loved it can be hated. And when something is loved by people who have a console purely for it and somehow have the idea that their opinion of it being the best game ever suddenly matters, then surely it shall be hated.

I literally walked into HMV yesterday to overhear a conversation with a group of guys my age where one said "I'm looking for CoD 4." where the others responded "Why?" and he said "Because everyone else has it." and the other people at least had some sort of sense to say "Get any other, they're all the same" which I could only slightly disagree with since CoD 4 was the only campaign of the games that I actually felt deserving of the praise.

Saying people hate it because it's popular is only a very close minded "You're just jealous"-like response. And even if I do hate it for being popular, that is a watered-down summary of the reasons. What seems unreasonable about trying to get myself as far away form the guys in school who would mock me for playing games, saying I must play WoW since I'm a nerd, even though I dont like it, and them constantly screaming their KD spreads at me?

Community affects a game, and it's not even a game I'm interested in anyway, but I can have quite a lot of justified dislike due to the fact that people who don't care about the industry are constantly affecting it. I don't go into sports and make all but Football frowned upon, do I? And then this community suddenly thinks they have the right to demand things, and complain that the game isn't being made best for their style of play, so they can't win. And they become fanboys against all other shooters, because if there's a shooter that doesn't mean they can win a shoot out entirely because they saw the other guy first, then it must suck.

Also making one every year. At least wait for some demand. I don't think they're going to get bored with playing the same one for a little longer. All they'll do when the new one comes out is mock their friends for not having, complain that minor things have changed, then weeks later get used to it and rpoclaim anyone who doesn't like the changes is stupid.

So the whole thing is one big cashcow drawing in people I don't like, affecting something I care about, so all things I actually like seeing, suffer and die.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I don't hate it, but I avoid it since they seem to be pumping out game after game with no focus on single player. It's just a cash cow for them and I don't want to be part of it.
Same reason I quit buying Guitar Hero. Also because they sucked more and more after each game.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Bobic said:
Because it is popular, hurr durr hurr.
More or less, unfortanatuly.

It's gotten to the point where so many hate it and Halo for being popular, it seems like more people hate it than like it, but then it wouldn't be popular, so then they would love it, then it WOULD be popular, and...

*head asplode*

I think these threads are helpful, I made a large thread where I answered peoples questions about Halo. as a fanboy of it, I thought it would be nice to get a real estimate of how many people hate it without trying it, and the number was suprisingly low.

Most of the time, it's just sterotypes about these games and thier fans.

TL;DR:

Have an open mind, and don't bash a game if you haven't tried it.

zefiewings

May 28, 2011
It seems to come down to, I think, as those "other people" coming into our (gamers) territory. It just seems like so many non-gamers, especially obnoxious "Jock-types" love and relish over this game. After all it seems like one of the biggest issues is the "COD players", not COD itself. The people that have been stereotyped as COD players are just like, and often are, the same people who (I hate to say) bullied geeks and gamers. gamers are just barley making some sort of name for themselves and along comes COD and like games that suddenly make all those "other guys" stand up and claim to be gamers. (I'm not saying everyone who plays it isn't a gamer, I think you know the people I mean). and now there is a massive explosion if a new gamer stereotype. That gamers are obnoxious, in-your-face, t-bagging, type jerks. It is only within gamer "groups" that they are separately regarded as "COD players", to everyone else, that is what a gamer has become.
And the worst part is that the industry is feeding it. we see almost nothing (an exaggeration, I know)of COD copycats, creating nothing but more "food for the monster", or so to speak.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i?from=Main.ItsPopularNowItSucks

"It's popular, now it sucks" fits well.

But I wouldn't pay much attention to internet trolls. If it were up to them, I wouldn't have had fun playing Halo, COD or Final Fantasy.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
Bobic said:
Because it is popular, hurr durr hurr.
first response. best answer.

go to tvtropes.org and look up "Hype Aversion". When something reaches a certain level of popularity, there are going to be people who won't like it just due to the fact that others do. there's many reasons for that fact though. They may not want to be grouped with said crowd, They may not like said crowd, but ultimately that's what it comes down to.

but that's not saying its the ONLY reason, it just seems to be one of the bigger ones. some people just don't like the game period. be it because its a first person shooter, has a HORRIBLE story, or they just don't like multi-player. paying a full $60 bucks for a game that won't see more than 8 hours of gameplay is a pretty horrible investment. i got more satisfaction playing comic jumper and i only payed $15 bucks for that. i did like CoD's multi-player for a while, but it (obviously) gets repetitive.

but hate is nothing more than an opinion. if someone hates what you like, then why should you stop liking it? there's no sense in that train of thought. just continue to do what you think is entertaining and im more than positive that they will do the same. the objective of a game is to have fun, and if you are not having fun playing a certain game, go play something you do like. same thing vice versa.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
The only thing people should hate about it is that it attracts the loud mouth douchebags. CoD has and probably always will be good, but then again that falls into the "whether you like FPSs or not" scenario.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
The FPS genre as a whole has a reputation for a few things.

1) terrible, terrible communities. While I'm sure a lot of it is overblown, the impression is that most people playing over XBoxLive at least are stupid, racist, homophobic, rude, and a host of other qualities that most people would rather not interact with. While that doesn't say anything about the games themselves, the games heavily focus on multiplayer, so a bad multiplayer community casts a dark shadow over the experience.

2) Stagnation. I don't personally agree with this view, at least as compared to other genres, but I've seen a certain perception that FPS games lack much innovation, or anything do differentiate themselves from other games in the genre (I once saw an image that I cannot for the life of my find at this moment that showed three screenshots from FPS games. All of them looked pretty much the same and it was captioned "3 different games from 3 different companies." I wish I could link to it right now because it exemplifies this issue).

Call of Duty is currently the most successful series in the FPS genre. When that titled belonged to Halo there was hate for those games as well. It's not hate at CoD itself, but CoD is used to represent the entire genre. Given the issues people have with the genre as a whole, they dislike seeing games in the genre be so wildly successful, and they have a valid point in that success of the FPS genre leads to more FPS games being made. Great for FPS fans, but not so great for others.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
I hate to be the guy, use the search bar before posting a topic.

I'm sure there's be this topic plenty times before.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
CoD 1 - eh
CoD 2 - good
CoD 4; modern warfare - really good

everything was lifeless crap.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
I greatly disagree with its direction.

The single player is mindless, overly predictable and short, which is fine, I just like a good single player experience.

And there's no solid progress in the multiplayer. Rather than fixing things they wreak havok on the layout rather than make it balanced.

4 generally was considered a solid multiplayer, had some grenade issues but that wasn't too bad and the guns were fairly well balanced.

MW2 tried, I'll give it that, but swamped the game with too much crazy things like nade launchers and the 1887s and glitches which did not get patched forever.

Blops, I really hate, they neutered shotguns and snipers and left space for only the rapid fire weapons that have no kick. I'm looking at you Famas. And while I'm not a fan of camping, the maps are very poor to me with little combat diversity beyond medium range with lots of clutter or point blank.

It's more about the show than the game now, the actual great parts of the game haven't changed or been introduced since 4.

And it has one of the most vicious money grubbing schemes in existence, 15 bucks for a handful of maps that are often mixed with remakes? Wow. And now the Elite, which is just a precursor to trying to charge monthly to play a game that people already pay monthly to play xbox live.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
I_am_a_Spoon said:
People like to think they're unique by boycotting every bandwagon that comes along.
Many hearts. Too many internet hipsters means a lot of people end up looking stupid and butthurt.