I just uninstalled Skyrim

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
i think with bethesda games you have to look past some flaws, moreso than with other games, if you can't do that OP, infact if you as you say can "only focus on the games flaws" then you're really not going to have a good time. i loved this game personally, 250+ hours and i didnt complete a single major questline so there's plenty of scope for me to come back. for me to get immersed into the world for that long required a suspension of disbelief, and a lot of D & D style filling in of the gaps with my imagination :)

Swiftkillz

Sep 1, 2011
One word. Boring.

Voice actors were wooden, did not care for any of the characters, big world but i need a grand and great storyline intertwined with it. Not" you are the chosen one, kill 50 dragons"

I also could not get through most of the side quests, not because they were hard because i lost all interest.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Not sure what the discussion value is here, but... okay. It is to be expected that not everyone will like certain games. As for me, I haven't played Skyrim since November, but that's mainly because i'm waiting for all the "real" mods to come out which add new items and stuff rather than merely re-skinning things.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Skin said:
Fishyash said:
there are still good things about it. Some people may not be as willing to discuss why a game is good rather than why a game is bad.
Sure Skyrim MAY have some good things, but I challenge you to tell me what they are, and why they in turn make the game special. Your going to really have to rack your brain and be real imaginative with this one, because there isn't anything good in Skyrim. There are some mediocre things, and there are bad things.
The setting is very well thought out, with a lot of lore and knowledge behind it's design, though this is mostly from it's heritage. The graphics, while not amazing up close, still give fantastic views from a distance. The open-ended gameplay is very rewarding, like wehn you discover a shack in the middle of a forest, occupied only by a hunter that died from an illness all noted down in the nearby journal, and his dog. It lags much less than most games, especially givent he stop-start game Oblivion ended up being after a dozen hours or so.

Ooh, and dragons. Gotta include the dragons.

How's that for you?

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
The setting is very well thought out, with a lot of lore and knowledge behind it's design, though this is mostly from it's heritage. The graphics, while not amazing up close, still give fantastic views from a distance. The open-ended gameplay is very rewarding, like wehn you discover a shack in the middle of a forest, occupied only by a hunter that died from an illness all noted down in the nearby journal, and his dog. It lags much less than most games, especially givent he stop-start game Oblivion ended up being after a dozen hours or so.

How's that for you?
Setting is well thought out? TES in Scandinavia is well thought out? No, Morrowind was a well thought out setting. Oblivion and Skyrim are as generic as generic gets.

Not even going to argue graphics. People do say it is shit, and I don't care about graphics anyway.

Open ended gameplay is not rewarding. Nothing you do matters. You could make up your a quest in your own mind regarding why your going to go to dungeon X and kill everyone there, and it would be better than what Bethesda had thought out. Finding stuff is cool? Telling me that "finding stuff is cool" in a AAA game as a feature is bullshit. They have not done anything that unpaid, community moderators could not have done 10x better.

Lags less than other games? Good news PS3 owners!

Dragons. When there is nothing worth saying, say dragons. Ignore the fact that the dragon fights are tedious and boring and almost as bad as cliff racers. They are dragons. Dragons = auto-cool.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Skin said:
Da Orky Man said:

How's that for you?
Setting is well thought out? TES in Scandinavia is well thought out? No, Morrowind was a well thought out setting. Oblivion and Skyrim are as generic as generic gets.

Not even going to argue graphics. People do say it is shit, and I don't care about graphics anyway.

Open ended gameplay is not rewarding. Nothing you do matters. You could make up your a quest in your own mind regarding why your going to go to dungeon X and kill everyone there, and it would be better than what Bethesda had thought out. Finding stuff is cool? Telling me that "finding stuff is cool" in a AAA game as a feature is bullshit. They have not done anything that unpaid, community moderators could not have done 10x better.

Lags less than other games? Good news PS3 owners!

Dragons. When there is nothing worth saying, say dragons. Ignore the fact that the dragon fights are tedious and boring and almost as bad as cliff racers. They are dragons. Dragons = auto-cool.
Ok then. I'll enjoy the game for what it does right. It tends to leave me happier. I happen to rather like the Scandinavian setting, given that few games are doing it, though more are catching on.

Would it help if I went wolololo until we agreed?

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Sounds about right.
I played it for about 110 hours, have not finished and honestly, I don't care.
It has been the most disappointing ES game to date and took the series no where. Seeing that I had played Oblivion, why would I want to sink hundreds of hours into essentially the same game?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
13 pages in and no one posted this, so I have no choice but to do so. I would like to apologise in advance, and refer you to number 7.

I have no idea if this is the case with the OP, Crono, and a number of other people in this thread since I cannot (and have no interest in) read minds or truly understand the thoughts and motivations of other people. I would, however, like you to read #7 in this list, and meditate on it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-stupidest-things-that-make-people-proud/

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I completely empathize with your experience with the game. In addition to that, I find it extremely horrifying that it's already 2012 and the most popular game right now is revered for how messy it is instead of what the previous titles strove to be best at. All previous elder scrolls games held a special place for me where I could get involved in the story, character building and most importantly challenge. I had saves for doing serious runs and saves for messing around, challenge runs with certain mods that only enhance the experience and of course I had beaten the game a few times before any worthwhile mods were out, the main quest, it's guild quests and side quests, all explored and nothing overlooked.

This is the first elder scrolls game that I've ever had this level of disappointment, by far, this level of disappointment. Some said oblivion dropped the ball in certain aspects and while I did agree with them on some points, it was still an improvement in it's own ways but here...just unbelievable downgrade. If anything this game had accomplished is that it killed the novelty of a dragon fight. You're able to kill a dragon with companions as soon as you're allowed to leave the tutorial area. They're solo-able by level 3 or at least I was able to, all of which is before you learn any really valuable dragon-shouts.

At the very least, my point is that through experience, I have nothing to like about skyrim and it's very difficult to voice disapproval for something currently popular as most people would right away assume you're only there to put them down for having "fun." Well then don't do that for us who aren't.

P.S.

chrono16

BOOM! Headshot.
May 9, 2010
noctifyre said:
I doubt I'll ever get Skyrim, because it's just another part of a series that I just don't find interesting whatsoever.

I tried Morrowind, couldn't get into it.

Tried Oblivion, couldn't get into it.

I admit, a bit of Skyrim sounded interesting, but then I glanced at some LPs, and.... nope. not going to get into it so not going to bother spending money.

It's okay, though. I'm sure there are enough of my friend/acquaintances that are obsessed with the game to make up for me never touching it in my lifetime.
Man, I was just like you. Couldnt get into Morrowind, couldnt touch Oblivion, but for some weird damn reason I jumped into Skyrim and loved it. No idea why...

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
EvilRoy said:
13 pages in and no one posted this, so I have no choice but to do so. I would like to apologise in advance, and refer you to number 7.

I have no idea if this is the case with the OP, Crono, and a number of other people in this thread since I cannot (and have no interest in) read minds or truly understand the thoughts and motivations of other people. I would, however, like you to read #7 in this list, and meditate on it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-stupidest-things-that-make-people-proud/
I just read that after reading this thread. Good call, sir. Very good call.

I also find it kind of hilarious that Oblivion was the series' resident pariah until Skyrim came out, at which point Oblivion suddenly became as awesome as Morrowind and now it's Skyrim that sucks. I know you think your nostalgic opinions make you cool, guys, but we've been hearing them since Daggerfall. Make up your damn minds, please.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
That's a bit harsh.

While I agree with all your criticisms, I found that they were mitigated by the exploration element, the environments and the character building system.
Why bother with any of that if there isn't any consequence to doing it?

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
One thing you put in that post really urked me. Why do you think it is the worst thing ever on your hard drive, I mean there are plenty of horrible games out there that people are dumb enough to buy. So your telling me that Skyrim is the worst game you have ever installed? because even with that critism I really don't believe you.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Its a fun game. I love the stealth/infiltration/assassin elements and I really like the animations for the finishing moves in combat. I like to be able to interact with every little part of the environment from bushes and butterflies to trap-levers, cups, apples and lanterns.

This in comparison to for example dragon age which is supposedly very well written but the world comes down to a hand full of random encounters in pre-destined areas and the only interaction you have with the world is to either kill or loot stuff, everything else just being decoration.

Some of the things that disappointed me the most with dragon age is that you build this elaborate character based around stealth and pick pocket and assassination and then the fight just turns out to be big cluster-fucks of NPCs wailing at each other in a big billowing dust cloud.

In Skyrim you can assassinate a target with an arrow through the eye from 200 meters or sneak up and slice his throat. Or ambush a guard patrol of 3, slicing one guards throat and throwing paralysing poison bottles at the other 2 and then killing them before any of them have a chance to react.

in dragon age every fight comes down to throwing a pile of NPCs at the problem and hope they sort it out

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
I like it. But the novelty value has worn off after 140 hours.

But what's great is that the game won't die. They're releasing Bethesda's famous Creation Kit modding tools at the end of January.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Good for you.

You hated it, but still completed every questline? Do yourself a favour and dont play games you dont like, then you wouldnt be so fucking miserable... does that make any sense to you?

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
So you hated the game but still played the main story and everything else with another character, sounds like your full of crap. At least you got what you wanted from this thread, attention.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
While it warms my heart that someone has finally made a "Fuck Skyrim!" thread as a counterpart to the jillions of "Yay Skyrim!" threads, your criticisms of the game could stand to be a bit more objective. For instance, the main reason Skyrim sucks for me is the sheer lack of alignment options. You are either Stormcloak or Imperial. That's it. There's no grey area, no middle road.