I left my girlfriend so I would never have to play another JRPG...

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
D_987 said:
Ugh, more proof that people on The Escapist are terrible at spotting a clever Troll...I can't be bothered to point out all the massive flaws in the OP because you won't read it...
It's because there aren't enough here, so people aren't used to them.

These people need to spend a lot of time on Youtube before coming here, to learn how to deal with this kind of stuff.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Samurai Goomba said:
funguy2121 said:
Unmitigated Hatred said:
IdealistCommi said:
It is your opinion that they are bad.

Hell, JRPGs are my favorite genre ever.
Art Degree.
Virgin.
Name caller.
And accurately so. I have a certification in surgical technology, but I only signed my name with ,CST for about a month afterwards, and I certainly don't throw that in a person's face when arguing quantum physics (which I wouldn't anyway).

Again: I hate all RPGs, but RPG elements rock for certain games like Zelda and X-men: Legends. Possessing an art degree (which I doubt he does at this point, unless he's REALLY bad at getting laid) has no relevance to storytelling or gaming whatsoever, unless of course he's critiquing the art design or architechure within a game.

"architechure." I should be shot.

Unit Alpha

Jan 3, 2009
TheButtonMashEffect said:
JRPGS are great, i don't understand people who like convential RPGS and don't like JRPGS.
Because teenagers filled with angst and hair like it was stuck in a bucket of lead paint do not appeal to me. Besides, you just do a fighting game style combat section every so often. Which isn't really fun...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
funguy2121 said:
Samurai Goomba said:
funguy2121 said:
Unmitigated Hatred said:
IdealistCommi said:

Art Degree.
Virgin.
Name caller.
And accurately so. I have a certification in surgical technology, but I only signed my name with ,CST for about a month afterwards, and I certainly don't throw that in a person's face when arguing quantum physics (which I wouldn't anyway).

Again: I hate all RPGs, but RPG elements rock for certain games like Zelda and X-men: Legends. Possessing an art degree (which I doubt he does at this point, unless he's REALLY bad at getting laid) has no relevance to storytelling or gaming whatsoever, unless of course he's critiquing the art design or architechure within a game.

Huh? I was just trying to be part of the moment. I agree that certifications don't mean anything in discussions outside of whatever somebody got certified in, but I don't think he seriously believes an art degree lends credence to his opinions.

And I like RPGs. I've been playing Persona 3 recently and really enjoying it. I agree that RPG elements done well can really add to an action game's appeal. I've been playing Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and the upgrade purchasing adds a lot of incentive to do missions and cause havoc.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Samurai Goomba said:
funguy2121 said:
Samurai Goomba said:
funguy2121 said:
Unmitigated Hatred said:
IdealistCommi said:

Art Degree.
Virgin.
Name caller.

Huh? I was just trying to be part of the moment. I agree that certifications don't mean anything in discussions outside of whatever somebody got certified in, but I don't think he seriously believes an art degree lends credence to his opinions.

And I like RPGs. I've been playing Persona 3 recently and really enjoying it. I agree that RPG elements done well can really add to an action game's appeal. I've been playing Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and the upgrade purchasing adds a lot of incentive to do missions and cause havoc.
Read on then. Unless he's the truly sociopathic form of troll (he mentioned his art degree as a(n unrelated) credential) about a dozen times), he certainly believes his degree gives him credibility as a JRPG critic.

I added the distaste for the genre as a point of reference for from where I come from - this guy is a douche any way you slice it.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Oh, god. Not this again! Seriously, duder, just shut up. No matter how many walls of text explaining exactly why you're better than us (you're not) and why having an art degree means you're in any way a valid being as opposed to an over-opinionated twerp, we just don't give a shit! Halo is not the best game in the world, I just played a brilliant JRPG, and insulting my morbidly obese mother is not the way to get a point across.

Also: FUCKING WALL OF TEXT.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Glademaster said:
Problem 4: Thanks a link to a pointless period in Japanese history. Just so you don't feel left out I will also link to something completely off top and related here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake].
Actually the Edo Period reference goes along perfectly with the point he was trying to make. Apparently you didn't read the wiki article.

The more you know...

Bruden

Oct 26, 2009
Assassinator said:
Bruden said:
Wow I hope you're not serious. You cannot complain about spoilers if you stick your head under a rock and refuse to play something for a decade.
Here's some more spoilers from decades ago, Hot Rod is the new leader of the Auto bots, the Green ranger and the White ranger are the same guy, Neo flies away wrecking a perfectly good movie, and John McClane totally beats those terror-thieve-foreigners.
Not everyone had a Playstation you know, it's simple as that.
Playstations are insanely cheap, as is getting a copy of the game. But even without getting picking up a system most people who play consoles have, it came out on computer. But really that's like saying a movie that came out wasn't playing in a nearby theater so you've just never seen it, if you really wanted to enough to actually pick it up, you'd have done it by now.

DomBlue234

Dec 23, 2009
I really can't agree with anything you say at all. Okay so some JRPG's have turned based combat so what, don't like it don't play it. I mean hell I'm fine with turn based combat because it allows me time to think up strategies when I'm fighting a boss but to say all JRG's are the same is like saying that every FPS is Halo or Half life or has to be them. But JRG's can have diversity, the Tales game rely on random combat but use does not use a turn based system for combat relying on a more action based one with combos. Grandia uses a system that has something similar allowing your characters to dodge attacks.

Still I can see where your coming from but I also think it has something to do with taste when playing these games. I could not stand to play Fallout 1 because I don't like using the computer interface and I found it kind of a slog to get through. I also don't mind Japanese Storytelling because frankly I see no problem with it as long as the characters actually get development other then "I'm just here to fill out the roster.

Jun 11, 2008
boholikeu said:
Glademaster said:
Problem 4: Thanks a link to a pointless period in Japanese history. Just so you don't feel left out I will also link to something completely off top and related here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake].
Actually the Edo Period reference goes along perfectly with the point he was trying to make. Apparently you didn't read the wiki article.

The more you know...
Actually I see the point he is trying to make and I read the wiki article and it is still irrelevant. Quoting a period of history that is over by at least a hundred years is stupid as we've moved on and so have the Japanese. So apparently you didn't see what I was getting or that the guy is just a troll.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Great rant.

If I had to guess, I'd also imagine that there are issues with regards to bad translations that tend to inhibit understanding things like basic plot points or character motivation. It certainly is the case with me since every time I play one (this often extends to many Japanese games, case in point, the Metal Gear Solid series which is beyond human comprehension as far as I am concerned and anyone who says otherwise is a complete and utter liar) since I often come away understanding sweet fuck all.

Most JRPGs often strike me as the absolute worst blend of fantasy imagery, technophilia/phobia and grassroots narratives, and they usually come across as being rather long-winded, monotonous and absolutely trying. Like MMOs, but without the actual human camaraderie and potential real life monetary rewards, thus leading me to believe that they have absolutely no contribution to make to the advancement of this medium as an art.

EDIT: Also, the reactions here are truly priceless, in a really pathetic sort of way. Someone doesn't like what you like? You must be a troll. Wonderful logic. Video game fanboys are seriously the worst the Internet has to offer humanity.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I don't like JRPGs either, but I don't make a huge fucking post why. I prefer WRPGs, mostly because there's more exploration and less cutscenes. I also prefer the characters better (practically anyone I want and Geralt).

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Xhu said:
Unmitigated Hatred said:
If you think I sound like an asshole, take a step back for a moment and remember that I have an Art Degree. You know how the Pope never makes a mistake? It's like that except I don't have to wear a bullshit hat and I can fuck bitches.
Heh, and people are still taking "Art Degree" seriously?
FUCKING AGREE.
I read part of this fag's post, but his art degree was starting to piss me off.
IT'S A FUCKING ART DEGREE.
JESUS.
NEXT TIME GET SOMETHING ACTUALLY VALID.
And I recognise that this is a troll.
And I concur with the troll.
As has been stated by the troll, JRPGs are totally unappealing.
The troll's attitude is particuarly trollish however.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Glademaster said:
boholikeu said:
Glademaster said:

The more you know...
Actually I see the point he is trying to make and I read the wiki article and it is still irrelevant. Quoting a period of history that is over by at least a hundred years is stupid as we've moved on and so have the Japanese. So apparently you didn't see what I was getting or that the guy is just a troll.
*Whooooshh*

Sorry, you're still missing the point if you think the link was irrelevant to his joke. No matter though. This thread is just a troll pit anyway.