I left my girlfriend so I would never have to play another JRPG...

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Art Degree? Son, I am disappoint.

But seriously. RPG's have their place and so do JRPG's. IF you want a fulfilling JRPG then get Dragon Quest 8: journey of the cursed king, on PS2.

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
How much of that was jokes - how much was real. How much of it was was art degree? I am not sure. I find some jrpg's good, but others tend to be formulaic and slow and lazy in plot.
As for the article, the beginning was good, the end was rubbish. But it was sophisticated rubbish with an art degree so I guess it must be better than normal rubbish. It made me spend longer reading it anyway which is the same thing.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Unmitigated Hatred said:
You know how the Pope never makes a mistake? It's like that except I don't have to wear a bullshit hat and I can fuck bitches.
That made me lol.

And I agree on most points (or rather, the points I actually can agree on), however, since I have not played many JRPGs, I would have to agree only with the irst part about combat. I hate turn based combat because it makes no sense and interrupts the game. I like my combat to at least flow with the game. Being pulled out of the game to fight things that magically appeared out of nowhere does not "flow" with the gameplay.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Yeah, I'm kinda skeptical when it comes to JRPGs. I only like a small handful, tbh.

WRPGs are more reliable and more varied.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
I liked the article. Made me laugh. I'm also stealing some of those phrases like, "skull fuckingly boring" and the belt sander thing.

However, I've never played a jrpg so I have no input to this.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
all i got out of that was you're a drag queen who wears a corset...... wtf.......the drag queen bit explained why you think anyone would read the great wall of text you've constructed.

i used used to be into anime when i was a kid, but that was a phase, i'm older now and i can clearly see why it's gay. namely b/c the only people at school that are into anime have no friends, but also that it's just gay. JRPGs have anime influence, why? because it's from japan, duh. thus, i think they're a bit exclusive to gamers who are into that sort of thing.

RPGs are great ways to tell stories. star wars was essentially an RPG, it followed the basic outline of the hero's journey (go google it). so did lord of the rings. how much more money have those movies made compared to, oh say, final fantasy? ..... my guess is way too fucking much to even make a comparison, but hey, that's just my opinion.

i totally agree with you on art direction stuff though, and that goes back to how bliss the japanese are when they get high and draw their anime. go watch the unskippable episodes for Last Remnant. "fire the Gae Bolg!!!" IT LOOKED JUST LIKE A GIANT PENIS!!! XD IT DESTROYED EVERYTHING ON THE BATTLEFIELD WITH A GIANT BEAM OF WHITE LIGHT!!!! come on japan! really?!?!

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Yeah, there is a good way to get our attention, lie to us at the begining. I refuse to read this because you are an asshole. Every JRPG sucks, what are you gonna do about it?

camokkid

Aug 13, 2009
Unmitigated Hatred said:
I didn't come here to see you bust our balls for hating JRPG's, I came here to see why you left your girlfriend for such a miniscule thing.

That's false advertising.

Can I report you for that?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I have to disagree with your point on RPG story development, RPGs are actually one of, if not the best vessle for storytelling within a game. You care about the characters as you spend time leveling them up, chatting with them, solving the problems that haunt their deepest dreams. You may just be tired of all the androgyny.

Course, I'm not a big fan of JRPGs, but western ones, I like just fine.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Why is it people always compare JRPGs to WRPGs? they are two different genres despite their names. You praise FF7 even though it is one of the games that contributed to the downfall of JRPGs it got rid of well rounded likable characters and good story (see FF6) for a darker kind of story with flat characters.

WRPGs may be about exploration and choices but JRPGs are about story telling and gameplay (remember they are two different genres) you say you love FF7 but it has pretty low exploration even for a JRPG.

Also what would your art degree have to do with any of this?

I feel like I have been trolled...
hey I liked the characters in FF7!

haha but yeah it's old, but I can accept the way the game is played cuz I don't venture into [J]RPGs a lot

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This was funny. And I know because I have a Film Degree.

A bit brash but you have to understand this is a humor peace. You can tell because Baldur would be the one to come from on high and give him an art degree, not Odin, who was god of war and hoboing acrossed Midguard.

The reason so many people enjoy JRPG's as they are, I think, is the warm tingly feeling of familarity. I remember how cold and merciless the world felt when I realized I didn't like Final Fantasy anymore. I was so into FF7 and Xenogears - a game you should totally play because the story is awesome until the closing act when the dev's ran out of money and had to wrap shit up with some shitty ass flashback scene's. Xenogears was a game with great pacing, flawed but likeably characters, and of course MEN!OF!THE!SEA!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
camokkid said:
Unmitigated Hatred said:
I didn't come here to see you bust our balls for hating JRPG's, I came here to see why you left your girlfriend for such a miniscule thing.

That's false advertising.

Can I report you for that?
falser advertising? hm...

internetzealot1 said:
Uh oh...this thread...its a trap...
yeah...just a little hahaha

hate on JRPGs but leave FF7 outta this! xD

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Since I'm on page 7 or 8 I doubt this will matter much, but here goes. The OP is retarded. I quit reading partway through when I realized this guy was looking at the world through a very small viewer and making huge judgements. The first post summed it up. Serious trolling, worse than I've done.