I NEED more music, and good music too.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Plazmatic said:
Also while your at it, what is the band that sings the song in this tribute vid? http://vimeo.com/8186760 (I cant tell if its two or one band, but if its two tell me both bands, or the name of the song(s))
If it's been mentioned, I haven't seen it. The music in the video you linked is titled "Run Rabbit Junk", by Tim Jensen. It's from the Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex OST.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Plazmatic said:
Mozza444 said:
I have most of thier songs, and yes they are AWESOME, I have also checked a few other the other suggestions people have put up, like mastodon, Kaizers Orchestra, and coheed and cambria, all which are also great, KEEP UP THE AWESOME SUGGESTIONS!!!!

(note that I have tried more bands than that from your suggestions, nor are those the best bands that I have seen, just the most prominent names off the top of my head)

They have a new album coming out sometime this year, maybe in the next few months.. try pendulum-ransom thats one of their songs from the new album

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Uberjoe19 said:
I suggest some heavy metal and death metal.

Bands like:
The Acacia Strain
At The Throne of Judgment
All That Remains
The Black Dahlia Murder
Straight Line Stitch

Please note, these bands utilize screams and growls to deliver the lyrics, so Your Mileage May Vary.
The Acacia Strain = Deathcore
At The Throne of Judgment = Deathcore / Hardcore
All That Remains = Melodic Death Metal (nice work you got something right)
The Black Dahlia Murder = Genre not obvious... some form of -core
Straight Line Stitch = Genre not obvious... some kind of metal (holy shit the vocalist is a black chick...the rarity!)

Congragulations you got me into All That Remains and Straight Line Stitch

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Novskij said:
If your gonna reccommend death metal. You gotta include one of these:

Morbid Angel
Death
Autopsy
At The Gates
Entombed
Suffocation
Gorguts
Nocturnus
Athiest
Demilich

Besides Death Metal, prog rock is always good for diffrent people with diffrent tastes:

Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Frank Zappa
Jethro Tull
Porcupine Tree
The first two "death metal" bands are good recommendations. I add my vote for those two.

You forgot Opeth though-- in the prog rock category of course. They haven't been death metal for a long, long time, but certainly of interest in the prog scene.

Ah, you bastid, y' edited. lol

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
alrighty then heres a few sugeestions

black sabbath (obvious but hell why not at least suggest it.)
ahh skrew it it would be to long a list for me to suggest all the metal gods so just look at some of the big names.

right then less obvious list,

crows claw (game remix's)
heaven and hell (basically dio sabbath)
jason becker
micheal angelo batio (sp?)
summoning

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
stubbmann said:
Them Crooked Vultures and the related bands.

(that is to say, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, and Led Zeppelin)
Hmm I don't see Kyuss on there.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Mastadon
Metallica
3 Inches of Blood
Korpiklaani
Lordi
Fintroll
Epica
Nightwish
Turisas
Power Glove
Sabaton
Dream Evil
Behemoth
Samael
Rhapsody (of Fire)
Symphony X

And just to add a bit of fire to the thread:
I say stay away from the Beatles. Respect them for what they did for music, but unless you REALLY are into happy sounding (even the dark songs sound happy) 70s music, they aren't anything to write home about.

If you DO prefer that music, you probably won't like any of the stuff I listed. Most is in the Heavy Metal or Folk Metal genres.

AplChild

Jun 10, 2009
Hell anything From Sveden!
Mando Diao, Johnossi.

Hmm...
You know if you gave an indication to what genres you like might help *Thumbs up*

Elston

Jan 14, 2010
http://scaruffi.com/

Pierro Scaruffi has the best music website ever (in my humble opinion). If you want "good" music, look no further.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
The Protomen (Take a listen to their new album, Act II, if you've already heard their self-titled album. It's different. Good different.)
It's out!?!?!?!? Quick to the local musicshop!

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
CovertCell said:
Five Finger Death Punch
System of a Down
Parkway Drive
NOFX
Disturbed
Dry Kill Logic

apart from NOFX which is "punk" the rest is varitaions of metal
No they are not metal I'm sorry to inform that too you.(Elitist metal attitude ftw)
What they actually are
SOAD - Alt rock
Parkway Drive - Hardcore trying to be metal
Disturbed - Hard rock
Five Finger Death Punch - terrible groove metal (Only Fear Factory and Devildriver pull groove metal off well)
Dry Kill Logic - Nu metal (Not metal)

Not making fun of your tastes (Well I am but I like SOAD) but just wanted to set the record straight. Real metal doesn't have 10 years of mainstream popularity.(Glam, Numetal soon to be metalcore and deathcore) Real metal stays underground (mostly, exceptions Metallica, Sabbath and Maiden but people were smarter back then), cover the dark side of life as lyrical topics (angst doesn't count) (all those bands have punkish lyrics besides FFDP) and someone that can pull off guttural vocals well. (Death, Mayhem, Behemoth, Megadeth in some songs, Necrophagist, Strapping Young Lad, Cannibal Corpse, the list goes on)

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
aruseusx said:
CovertCell said:
Five Finger Death Punch
System of a Down
Parkway Drive
NOFX
Disturbed
Dry Kill Logic

apart from NOFX which is "punk" the rest is varitaions of metal
No they are not metal I'm sorry to inform that too you.(Elitist metal attitude ftw)
What they actually are
SOAD - Alt rock
Parkway Drive - Hardcore trying to be metal
Disturbed - Hard rock
Five Finger Death Punch - terrible groove metal (Only Fear Factory and Devildriver pull groove metal off well)
Dry Kill Logic - Nu metal (Not metal)

Not making fun of your tastes (Well I am but I like SOAD) but just wanted to set the record straight. Real metal doesn't have 10 years of mainstream popularity.(Glam, Numetal soon to be metalcore and deathcore) Real metal stays underground (mostly, exceptions Metallica, Sabbath and Maiden but people were smarter back then), cover the dark side of life as lyrical topics (angst doesn't count) (all those bands had a punkish lyrics besides FFDP) and someone that can pull off guttural vocals well. (Death, Mayhem, Behemoth, Megadeth in some songs, Necrophagist, Strapping Young Lad, Cannibal Corpse, the list goes on)
Metal itself really isn't a genre, as much as a group of genres. SoaD (which is more numetal than alt rock, though their later albums became more alt metal), Disturbed, and the rest are still metal, just a different subgenre than you are referring to.

Metallica, Megadeth and such are Thrash Metal traditionally.
Soad and Disturbed are more Nu-Metal
Turisas and Korpiklaani (from my list) are Folk Metal
Epica and Nightwish are Epic/Operatic Metal
3 Inches of Blood is a mix of Folk, Thrash, and Quest Metal

I'm not one to push record labels (I just listen to the music I like, and don't care who pressed the CD), but check Metal Blade Records website. They have a list of all the genres and bands (that they sign) in each catagory.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Ufomammut-Italian stoner rock.

Winnebago Deal-Two piece Britsh band,like a beefed up White Stripes.Try 'Dead Gone'.

The Sonics-60's Seattle Garage rock,influence on Kurt Cobain.

Deftones-If you haven't already give 'White Pony' a try.

Refused-only just discovered these guys myself.Were breaking new ground in hardcore back in the Mid-Ninties.

Electric Wizard-try 'Dopethrone' if you like heavy reverb that will destroy speakers.

Link Wray-try to find a compilation of his mostly instramental work.Very cool for music that dates dack to the 1950's.

Hasil Adkins-one man Blues Band,some of the most raw as fuck music I've ever heard.Try 'Chicken Walk'.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
The Protomen (Take a listen to their new album, Act II, if you've already heard their self-titled album. It's different. Good different.)
It's out!?!?!?!? Quick to the local musicshop!
It's good. My favorite tracks on the album are:
Father of Death
The Hounds
Breaking Out (different sound compared to the demo)
Light Up The Night

If you buy the songs off iTunes, you need to look up the liner notes to make any sense of the story, but these songs stand much better on their own than the previous album's. I'd even recommend it to non-nerds.

Edit: Light Up The Night Demo http://www.protomen.com/lightupthenight/

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
See, I really wish you had listed some bands / songs you like. There is so much good music out there.

Rock:
Brand New, Queen, K's Choice, Portishead, Radiohead, Manchester Orchestra

Goth/Electronica/Industrial/Darkware (What I mainly listen to):
Apoptygma Berzerk, And One, Assemblage 23, She Wants Revenge, Wumpscut, Covenant, Depeche Mode, New Order, Fiction 8, Leather Strip, Peter Murphy, Project Pitchfork, VNV Nation, QNTAL, Sister Machine Gun, Sisters of Mercy, Front 242, Delerium, Echo Image, Funker Vogt, XPQ-21

Not sure what genre to classify under:
Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Kevin Devine, The Dresden Dolls, Voltaire, Tool, Poe.

Yeah, I think I am just going to stop here..