I now know why everyone hates Metal Gear Solid: 2

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I actually really like MGS2, minus the swimming. As for Black Sheep of one of my favorite game series... Probably by the definitions posted above, CrackDown 2.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
krazykidd said:
I think persona 3 is considered the black sheep of the persona series , and maybe of smt games in general , but don't quote me on that .
Too late.

The black sheep of the Persona family is Innocent Sin, for never calling and never writing anywhere outside of Japan until fairly recently. The rest of the games are just guilty of making ludocrous amounts of money because of how different and fun they are. Eventually, Innocent Sin will earn our trust back. P3 and P4 are personally my top standards for what a successful RPG is.

So, back on topic again...the black sheep of Final Fantasy is the eighth game, for obvious reasons. More than any debate about 4, 12, or 13 - of which there is a sizable and proper debate for in all sectors - FF8 is very VERY hard to defend, mostly because of its more-successful brothers and in fact other RPGs that have done so much better.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
MGS2 wasn't horrible. The gameplay was very solid(hehe) and the stealth was nice. I just could not take raiden seriously. His every conversation with rose just made me want cringe. I'm sure they were trying to make him sympathetic with a bad past, but he just came off as whiny.

I don't know why you guys complain about cutscene length though. Try playing MGS4. It was mostly made of cutscenes. It holds the record for the biggest cutscene in video gaming history at 27 minutes. Yes, one of the cutscenes is longer than most TV episodes minus commercials. Combine all the cutscenes and you get several feature length movies.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
rockmanman said:
guys im not defending the game, but if you dont like or care for the codec parts, just skip ém. Still the gameplay itself is pretty flawed, and those underwater parts - damn that was some controllersnapping frustration
The only problem with that is you miss out of vital parts of the story sometimes so it gets a bit risky. I've never had any problems with the length of cinematics in MGS myself though, I get totally sucked in.

The main problem I have with MGS2 is the fucking camera. I can't see guards 1 foot in front of me and it's fucking infuriating constantly running into them. Especially after spending a lot of time with MGS3 and Peace Walker where you have a 3D camera, fixed isometric for a stealth action game is a really poor choice.

Austin Howe said:
Syntax Error said:
There's a TvTropes entry for MGS2's ENDING. It concluded that MGS2 established Kojima as a Troll/Magnificent Bastard, and the fans love him for it.
I linked the essay by James Clinton Howell that linked to. I doubt people are reading it, unfortunately.
Ah I've just started reading it actually, quite interesting, and pretty true so far, all your expectations are just subverted all the time, which of course, proves that Kojima is a Troll and a Magnificent Bastard at the same time.

Syndarr

Mar 28, 2008
I can't speak for the Metal Gear Solid series, since I tried to play MGS2 and just sucked so bad at it that I gave up. XD But my black sheep is probably (and I feel bad saying this) Blood Omen. I absolutely adore the Legacy of Kain series, but the very first one is frustrating as hell to play. Plus, I have the PS1 version, and the loading times whenever you try to access your inventory screen are just inexcusable.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i gotta say the black sheep for me was dmc2. what a terrible game, especially considering what came before and in particular after, one of the best games ever.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love the Zelda series so I'm not even going to try to deny Zelda 2 as the black sheep. I know there are three more but I've never played them. I do plan to though, once I own a certain system but there is a lot of other, better stuff to collect first. I loved Zelda 2 though and thought it was the most rewarding title in the series once you beat the thing. Hell, getting through Death Mountain was also pretty rewarding.

I haven't beaten MGS2 but I remember there being a lot of cutscenes and codec bits...I don't remember being particularly bothered by them though. I liked playing as Raiden and remember nothing from the ad campaign.

Elgnirp100

Jan 18, 2012
Metroid Other M was the "black sheep" of my favourite game series.
DMC2 was also.
Sonic '06.
Ratchet: Gladiator (Deadlocked in America) and All 4 One.
The list goes on...

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
I know Final Fantasy VIII is the knee-jerk reaction, but honestly, a game like XIII is probably more of a black sheep. FFVIII is still a more-or-less 'traditional' Final Fantasy.

Breath of Fire V is another black sheep, as well as franchise-killer-apparent.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
I didn't think people actually disliked MGS:2 I thought it was more Raiden they weren't keen on.One of my friends who is a Metal Gear Nut said that the game-play of 2 was some of the best in the series he just didn't like the protagonist.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Conviction and whatever is next for Splinter Cell make me unhappy.

It used to be about sneaking around as an operative and what not. Now its turned into the "press A at the right time" game. No skill required to play through the game. The stealth has you do a lot of killing (which isn't very stealthy) and you can't move bodies, which has been the staple of the franchise since the beginning.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Burst6 said:
Try playing MGS4. It was mostly made of cutscenes. It holds the record for the biggest cutscene in video gaming history at 27 minutes.
There were cutscenes (non stop non-playable portions) in part 2 that were longer than 27 minutes. Much longer. I remember and cringe every time.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Syndarr said:
I can't speak for the Metal Gear Solid series, since I tried to play MGS2 and just sucked so bad at it that I gave up. XD But my black sheep is probably (and I feel bad saying this) Blood Omen. I absolutely adore the Legacy of Kain series, but the very first one is frustrating as hell to play. Plus, I have the PS1 version, and the loading times whenever you try to access your inventory screen are just inexcusable.
The loading times were insane but I still found Blood Omen to be easily my favourite Legacy of Kain title. I don't know if its my 2d routes but I found Soul Reaver clunky and after that it kind of lost its way.

Mine (and this is going to get me burnt at the stake) is GTA: San Andreas. The size of the map, coupled with some bizarre design decisions meant the ratio of gameplay to just driving around trying not to break any traffic laws was about 500:1.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Black Sheep of a favourite franchise? I don't really have one to e honest. I guess the upcoming Splinter Cell game, looks as far from stealth as it can possibly be. And they don't even have the same voice actor!

Not exactly a favourite series, but Black Ops. For someone who originally got into the first CoD thanks to its campaign, Black Ops has the worst single player campaign not only in the series, but in every FPS I have ever played bar Gods & Generals.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I love MGS2. Everything people hate about it is so deliberate that I can't help but love it. It takes a step back to insult everyone who looks up to Solid Snake as a hero, rips apart everything that was expected from it based on experience with MGS1, and goes so far overboard on the mental story that it seems to make no effort to make sense that I'm genuinely impressed MGS4 managed to write it back into something resembling a cause-effect chain.

What I really don't understand is how anyone could complain that they don't play as Snake. The story has Raiden repeatedly in the dark about events, he's fooled into re-enacting MGS1 and was being lied to the entire time. You want to play as Snake because you think he's a heroic badass, and yet you want a story in which he falls for all of that? It's so contradictory.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Well, The Legend of Zelda has two black sheep: Zelda II and Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask is just bizarre both in context of the franchise and...bizarre in general, but I and a lot of gamer's still call it a masterpiece. It's one of my favorite games, despite it's handful of flaws.

Zelda II is, in my opinion, kinda bad. Not awful, but it's aged terribly and has little to do with the rest of the franchise in terms of gameplay. It's controls felt clunky and the presentation is also kinda ugly and inconsistent. I would say that was the fault of the NES's limitations, but Megaman and Castlevania were able to convey a lot of style and personality. From what I've seen, a lot of people seem to hate it.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
The black sheep in my favorite game franchise?

That would be either Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier or Shadow Hearts: From The New World.

Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier Was the worst thing to happen to the amazing Jak & Daxter franchise. Bad story, lame switch in art design and nonsensical plot contrivances (Jak doesn't use Dark Jak anymore and Daxter can now turn into Dark Daxter. WHAT?!) Furthermore, the environments are just downright disappointing and the gameplay is but a hollow remnant of predecessors. Then again, this wasn't made Naughty Dog. Not even by Ready At Dawn, who at least realized you could not bring the full Jak & Daxter experience to a handheld. So they didn't, they created a unique mid-quel revolving around Daxter. It was different, that's why it worked!

As for the third and final installments in the Shadow Hearts series... I've already voiced my complaints numerous times before: lousy characters, lame story, only five fusions (really, five? compared to the 20 of SH or the 23 of SH:C?) and no evolution what so ever in terms of graphics and gameplay. Hell, they even took a couple of steps back: the stellar chart system isn't nearly as interesting as the Key of Solomon mechanic, the CG cut-scenes aren't as impressive and most environments don't leave much of an impression. Not to mention that the franchise used to mix genuinely deep, heavy and even horrific moments with some truly funny moments. This one was just a silly slapstick fest. The only solace is that Yoshitaka Hirota still provided a kick-ass soundtrack. Still, worst way to end a trilogy. Ever.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, definitely '06 from the Sonic franchise.

Also I quite liked MGS2, perhaps not as much as the other games in the series, but I wouldn't distance it enough to call it the black sheep of the franchise.

Oh, and DMC2 of course.
'06? I'd say Sonic Unleashed, even more so. I found it even worse. You think Metal Gear Solid 2 was bad by taking control away from the player so often through cutscenes and codec, this game takes control away from the player during the gameplay! Seriously, you're scarcely doing a dang thing in this game! There's no sense of pace, and everything's overly-simplified. Not to mention how the levels are suddenly turned into railroads for the player to follow a strict, linear path with barely any horizontal space to speak of.

I also hear Serious Sam 2 is one of these "black sheep". And it shouldn't be confused with The Second Encounter.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I liked it, was different in some weird ways, but over all I enjoyed it. So not everyone hates it kthnxbai.