If you could ask a Developer anything, what would it be?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Anyone, Will you hire me? There really is no other question that I need answering more then that.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
believer258 said:
Bioware - Did you decide to streamline ME2, put multiplayer in ME3, and push DA2 out the door to quickly, or was that EA's decision?

Because I think it's entirely possible that either one did it, or maybe both are partners in crime. Nobody ever seems to think about the possibility of Bioware being a bunch of evil bastards.
I don't know anything about the DA2 end of that, but I'm pretty sure that both the ME2 and ME3 decision were fundamentally ours. We'd investigated multiplayer during ME 1's development but shelved it at the time for a number of reasons that aren't my business to disclose.

Just saying. =)

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Bethesda: Can you write a brand new engine that prioritizes memory conservation and save size reduction instead of modifying Gamebryo for a fourth time for the next TES?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
How does it feel to know that your fanbase is a bunch of ungrateful sons of bitches? (Developer in question? Pick a name out of a hat, theres a 75% chance it'll qualify)

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
RollForInitiative said:
I don't know anything about the DA2 end of that, but I'm pretty sure that both the ME2 and ME3 decision were fundamentally ours. We'd investigated multiplayer during ME 1's development but shelved it at the time for a number of reasons that aren't my business to disclose.
Don't you have work to do? ;)

believer258 said:
I won't say that there's no way you actually work at Bioware. That's entirely possible. Still, this is the internet, and there's really no way to determine whether you do or don't. Forgive me if you really do work at Bioware, but I just can't be certain.
Well, if that's who I think it is, I can confirm his identity. ;)

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
Activision Blizzard - Hey Robert, want check out my new camera? Wait, this isn't a camera.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Crytek UK
Do you think TimeSplitters could ever be the same after the amount fo employees you've lost?

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Developers of Red Dead Redemption, why won't you make a crappy PC port so I can play RDR?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
95% of developers - on story scripts.

Who writes this stuff! And why can't I phone it in?

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
mindlesspuppet said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Hey Valve, why do you suck so much at the whole DLC thing? Every other company I know can release sizable DLC in a timely manner. Bethesda, Bioware, Infinity Ward/Treyarch. I mean, how long have you been working on that Cold Stream pack? Eight months? Eight months to finish off an already partially completed community map and port the rest of the L4D1 maps over to L4D2? Really? Seriously, you can only use the "Microsoft won't let us" excuse for so long before people start realizing you guys have no idea what you're doing.
Valve is actually pretty damn good at the DLC thing. Also, it's all free. BioWare and Infinity Ward/Treyarch release content which should have been in the game to begin with as DLC, and Bethesda horse-armor, nuff said. The big question is, why would anyone buy a Valve game for the 360?
Because they either can't play the game on heir current computer and/or can't afford a better one or maybe it's just because they like to play with their friends online? What a stupid question although I'm guessing you're a thick one since you went straight for the horse-armor joke there.

Valve doesn't just develop for PC. They have a whole other fanbase that they just neglect and every time someone points this out to them they just go "Oh... um... Wait! Microsoft won't let us! Yeah that's it, it's Microsofts fault!" And then they turn around and make more hats.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Gorilla Gunk said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Hey Valve, why do you suck so much at the whole DLC thing? Every other company I know can release sizable DLC in a timely manner. Bethesda, Bioware, Infinity Ward/Treyarch. I mean, how long have you been working on that Cold Stream pack? Eight months? Eight months to finish off an already partially completed community map and port the rest of the L4D1 maps over to L4D2? Really? Seriously, you can only use the "Microsoft won't let us" excuse for so long before people start realizing you guys have no idea what you're doing.
Valve is actually pretty damn good at the DLC thing. Also, it's all free. BioWare and Infinity Ward/Treyarch release content which should have been in the game to begin with as DLC, and Bethesda horse-armor, nuff said. The big question is, why would anyone buy a Valve game for the 360?
Because they either can't play the game on heir current computer and/or can't afford a better one or maybe it's just because they like to play with their friends online? What a stupid question although I'm guessing you're a thick one since you went straight for the horse-armor joke there.

Valve doesn't just develop for PC. They have a whole other fanbase that they just neglect and every time someone points this out to them they just go "Oh... um... Wait! Microsoft won't let us! Yeah that's it, it's Microsofts fault!" And then they turn around and make more hats.
Valve has used the Source engine for a long time now, if you've bought a PC in the past decade that has any sort of graphics card, odds are you can run Valve games just fine. More over, if you can afford a 360, the price of Xbox live, and a $60 price tag on games then you could likely afford a decent gaming PC.

That aside, the question I posed "why would anyone buy a Valve game for the 360?" (the word 'anyone' would imply "their friends" as well) still stands. Everyone knows Valve neglects the 360, so why buy their games for the system? But I guess you're a "thick one" since you didn't catch that.

And putting that aside as well, Valve's 'excuse' is a valid one, one that other developers have echoed, but for some reason Xbox kids can't seem to accept it.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
mindlesspuppet said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Gorilla Gunk said:

Valve has used the Source engine for a long time now, if you've bought a PC in the past decade that has any sort of graphics card, odds are you can run Valve games just fine. More over, if you can afford a 360, the price of Xbox live, and a $60 price tag on games then you could likely afford a decent gaming PC.

That aside, the question I posed "why would anyone buy a Valve game for the 360?" (the word 'anyone' would imply "their friends" as well) still stands. Everyone knows Valve neglects the 360, so why buy their games for the system? But I guess you're a "thick one" since you didn't catch that.

And putting that aside as well, Valve's 'excuse' is a valid one, one that other developers have echoed, but for some reason Xbox kids can't seem to accept it.
No actually, I can't afford a decent gaming PC. Got my 360 second-hand and buy 90% of my games from the bargain bin. I'd like to have a good gaming computer but unfortunately I got bills and other things that are a bit higher priority.

Answered your question once already and my answers were valid enough despite what you may believe. Yes, I know Valve neglects their console players, but people will still buy their games for the same reason people still buy games from EA and Activision, because they're good games, and for some people who don't have a good gaming rig, it's better to just bite the bullet then go without, though I don't anymore, not since The Orange Box.

And Valves excuse may have been valid at one point but now when companies Bethesda can release enough DLC/expansions to with enough content to fill another whole game, it isn't, especially if all your trying to do is port over some old maps.