Indie Mecha Combat Game Hawken Looks Incredible

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Doesn't look like the environments are very destructible. Shame. Even if its only detail objects, wrecking shit in mech games is always fun.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Its remind me the Xbox game "Phantom Crash" (since that game also took plave in a urban environment) which is a good thing since I adore that game.
I second that extremely.

If it ends up anything like Phantom Crash, I want it... actually I am now going to get an emulation of that game.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
John Funk said:
If you've been reading my work here at The Escapist for the past few years, you may have gathered that I'm fairly fond of giant fighting robots.
*looks at Gundam avatar*

Really? Hmm, didnt notice...
I'd say it looks more than okay, myself. It's true that Hawken's robot designs seem like they're leaning more toward the blocky and ugly Western-style mecha, which I'm not a really big fan of. On the other hand, they aren't lumbering and plodding battle tanks - some of them seem pretty quick and agile in the Eastern style of giant robots. I don't see any beam sabers, but maybe they'll be patched in later.
Well, I actually prefer the Western style "tank with legs" look as appose to the Eastern Humanoid look. It does look spectacular, cant wait to see more. I do hope they include customization, too.

I think that videogames could use more giant robots, really - there isn't a single game that couldn't be improved by the addition of a giant robot or two.
That might be true...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Its remind me the Xbox game "Phantom Crash" (since that game also took plave in a urban environment) which is a good thing since I adore that game.
Hah, totally ninja'd you :p That game was awesome fun ^_^ You have a favourite build?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Looks interesting, but I think adding in a little color and the Red Faction environment destruction would be a GREAT addition to it.

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
Looks alot like the Heavy Gear game with some awsome graphics should be a great game thanks for bring it to my attention.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Looks like they put a lot more effort into the layout of the levels than most shooters do, and that certainly helps make it interesting beyond the concept. If the mech part isn't just treated as a re-skinned FPS character with a jetpack, then I would love to have this game.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
You can't see it, but a single tear just rolled down my cheek. There can never be enough giant robot games, especially given that half the good ones never leave Japan. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Oh, since eastern robots and beam sabers have been mentioned by someone with a Gundam avatar, I should probably point out that it is now possible to import Battlefield Record UC 0081 for about $40, if anyone is looking for an awesome mech game of that variety (it's the really good Gundam game for the PS3 that they never brought over here because they wanted to give us the shitty one instead).

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I swear to god that I have been thinking of this for a year now.

...Except in my version you'd basically have a bare exoskeleton and get modules and upgrades as you level up like jetpacks, cloak, faster legs, bigger guns, rockets, infrared vision, etc.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
One day my favorite childhood mech movie-film will be made into an awesome game. Is today that day?

Hopefully not....

Xenetethrae

Nov 19, 2009
I'm glad a fair number of people here prefer the Mechwarrior style of mechs to the spastic and jerky motions of eastern mechs. If my mech looks like its basically a reskinned Supersonic on crack, bouncing around like some twat on Halo, then no thank you.

This looks like its more on the wall: could be good, could make my vomit out my lungs in disgust.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Vaccine said:
Nothing will ever satisfy the need for a well made and fast-paced Gundam game. :/
If you can find it, look up Zone of the Enders, for the PS2. I remember that being pretty fast-paced, though I think I was only about eleven years old at the time.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I love the look of the cityscape. i just realized how little steampunky settings we have in games.
But in the end, the actual combat looked....meh.
So i guess there i still only one mech game I'm stoked about.
banthesun said:
DaHero said:
A lot of the motions didn't look like mech motions...if anything, as of right now, it feels like it's just a reskinned FPS. Mechs will need to FEEL like mechs, not retextured footsoldiers. That's really the only thing that sticks out.
That was excactly what I was thinking. The mechs need a sense of weight. I personally like the fast moving Eastern mechs more than the lumbering Western mechs (though they're still pretty cool), but there needs to be momentum behind their movements. It's simple physics: if there's weight, there's momentum. This would be as easy as adding a slight delay before every movement and throttle controls for flight. This and a few other changes would be enough to make the games more dramatic and (pseudo-)realistic.
Speaking of mechs and weight, I can't wait for the new armored core. Looks heavy.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
O_O I have just watched heaven...

That looks amazing! nice and colourful to, hope you get to paint and customize them Mechs!

Small Indie team? Activision...Take notes.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
arc1991 said:
KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN! Don't let you-know-who hear you! He'll buy this up, ruin it and fire the developers!

More on-topic: Steam, please. I would love a mech-based shooter, and this looks pretty sweet.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
arc1991 said:
KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN! Don't let you-know-who hear you! He'll buy this up, ruin it and fire the developers!

More on-topic: Steam, please. I would love a mech-based shooter, and this looks pretty sweet.
I believe the Dark Lord hates doesn't like Indie devs, so they are safe :p

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Looks pretty damn good. Hopefully they'll be able to retain the same sense of size in the mechs and environments when you're behind the controls, and it won't just feel like a standard shooter with bigitized skin-swaps. (See also: any transformers game)

I consider Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2 to be the unchallenged king of giant robot-based games. You take on the role of a mech 'pilot', with the unique twist that rather than being inside the robot, you're on the ground, wielding a giant-ass remote control device that looks very winkingly similar to the actual ps2 controller you're using to play.

As the pilot, you have to balance your own safety (trying not to get crushed underfoot, or killed by collapsing sky-scrapers) with the need for a clear vantage point -- because, when controlling the mech, the gameplay takes on an absurdly unique 1:1 control scheme that's intentionally clunky, instantly immersive, and absolutely perfect for what it's trying to convey.

The shoulder buttons control the mech's legs. To walk, you press r1 to lift its right foot, then r2 to move it forward...then l1 to lift its left foot, and l2 to move it forward... To jump, you crouch with l2+r2, then jump with l1+r1. To swing your arms, you move the analog sticks. Do it wrong, and your mech will idly lifts and lower his arms in agonizing slowness. He'll turn too slowly and bump into a building, destroying it -- or he'll turn too fast, and trip over his own feet, and take out a highway.

Learning to throw a punch is a goddamn achievement, is what I'm saying, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Over the course of a mission, you'll get a brief storydump, be assigned optional objectives ("Don't let the fight destroy this building, for $20,000 extra reward), be assigned your MAIN objective ("Destroy all three enemy robots without using your right arm") -- and then as the mission plays out, gameplay is a beautiful balancing act between jet-booting your pilot around to stay safe and maintain a good viewpoint, and trying to win the battle.

Did I mention there's three different robots with enough upgrades that you can play perfectly and not have everything by the end of the game? And that two of them transform into a giant jet and tank, respectively? Because yeah. Hot damn.

From a design standpoint, the game is 100% solid from beginning to end, which is a very rare thing to be able to say. More importantly, it's an absolute blast. If that came out on XBLA arcade today, it would be a fucking smash-hit.

What this all have to do with...?

OH RIGHT.

The sense of scale. Yes. RAD did that very well. I hope HAWKEN maintains that.

Or something. I don't even know anymore.

...(gonna go dig RAD out again)...

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I kinda wish the mechs were more agile (a la Nightmare Frames in Code Geass) but this still looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on it and if it ends up being any good maybe I'll get it when it comes out.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, not really my top of mech game, but I'll be sure to let my friends know, as they might like this.

Though this did make me depressed about the apparent perma-shelfing of the new Mech Warrior game again...

dammit....