Indie Mecha Combat Game Hawken Looks Incredible

FllippinIDIOT

Feb 13, 2011
at first i thought it was going to be just another giant mech game like armored core or something. then it started to gain my interest somehow. it is indeed worth keeping an eye on especially because its a work in progress.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Environments are amazing. As much as I love robots and mechs, I actually found myself wishing they'd get out of the way so I could take in the scenery some more. I feel like I'd just get owned the first few matches because I'd be staring at the environment too much.

daltonlaffs

Nov 17, 2009
John Funk said:
If you've been reading my work here at The Escapist for the past few years, you may have gathered that I'm fairly fond of giant fighting robots. I think that videogames could use more giant robots, really - there isn't a single game that couldn't be improved by the addition of a giant robot or two.
John Funk said:
there isn't a single game that couldn't be improved by the addition of a giant robot or two.
Challenge accepted.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
subject_87 said:
Wow... this game is now well-affixed to my radar, and I definitely plan on giving it a look later down the road. I just hope my computer can run it...

Also, it'd be great if the mechs could climb up and around the buildings, but even if they can't this is still really damn cool. I don't know who the environment designer is, but they should be paid more.
/droool
I'll gladly upgrade the shit out of my computer in order to play this.
This looks fucking amazing.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
SD Gundam G Generation World

Gundam Vs. Gundam EXTREME VS

Another Centuries Episode R

Super Robot Wars ZII Break the World chapter

Gundam UC Senki 0081

Operation Troy

Gihrens Ambition Threat of Axis V

It's not that good mecha games aren't made, it's that WE NEVER GET THEM!

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
SteelStallion said:
For an indie developer, that looks incredible. But as a title it looks "ok" at best. Face it, with MechWarrior and Armored Core have done what Hawken is doing to death, and they've done it well. Adhesive Games have some pretty big shoes to fill.

On a side note, anyone remember that MechWarrior 5 trailer that came out around a year ago? It looked really, really great.

That's what I loved about the MechWarrior franchise. It creates a sense of realism that other robot games lack (mainly because the other mech games are all japanese).

Would really like to see some news on that game.
Unholy Hell.

Why did I not know about this game? That intro reminded me of the MechWarrior 2 intro. Good times.

Oops. On topic: Hawken looks like it could be interesting. I hope they have a sense of inertia about the game.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
looks interesting...tho i would say the game could do with less jetpacks and more thumping combat

if i have to air dash all fight to play a mech game ill just not play it to be honest...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wicky_42 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Its remind me the Xbox game "Phantom Crash" (since that game also took plave in a urban environment) which is a good thing since I adore that game.
Hah, totally ninja'd you :p That game was awesome fun ^_^ You have a favourite build?
Ah danm you did:p The only build I used was using that all rounded mech (look like a frog) and I remember giving it hovering legs and I had both lazer arms but I made the left one heavy (more powerful but slower recharge) and the right arm the oppersite to the left. That way I use the right to break their shield and use the left to deal real heavy damage. I also had those triple missles and luckly for me bought the wolf as the AI chip at the start (I read it was the best AI for the targeting).

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Hopefully they will allow a third person camera. I love seeing my giant mech as it obliterates everything in it's path.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
standokan said:
We're gonna have to redefine Indie because everybody seems to be Indie these days.
If they dont have a publisher than I believe that they are Indie, but I get your point

verindae

May 22, 2010
Does no-one else think that every single mechanic shown in that trailer is lifted straight out of Armored Core? (Beg pardon if someone has, I didn't read every post :p)
Sure it looks nice (the little cockpit sneak peak at the end looked quite good), and I quite liked AC, but still... :/
Course we won't know till it gets played but I'm hoping it's not just a tarted up AC clone.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well it does look nice, for an indie game. All the robots were a bit spastic in the air, but nonetheless it looked more or less ok.
However, I've never really been a fan of any Mech games. Come to think of it, i haven't played ANY such tps or fps or action games with mechs in it. The only mechs i was quite fond of were in two animes: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Code Geass.

Also, even though i haven't played any such games doesn't mean i automatically hate them. I'd be willing to try it out, I'm sure there some fun stuff to be played.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
The fact that we're having games that look this good while it's in development coming from indie studios pretty much shows that the big guys should be working a lot harder.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
This is so much like what a new installment in the MechWarrior series should be. Love it.