Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
God, I feel like Iran is an IRL troll, first the drone and now this? Why doesn't their leader just moon America on national television and slap his ass? It's like they're TRYING to piss people off.

lunam-kardas

Jul 21, 2011
Alright. To sum up my thoughts in a neat a tidy package I will illustrate my thought process.

"Oh hey I need to catch up on No Right Answer"
*Waits for vid to load*
*glances and see's the thread title*
"What?!"

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Danceofmasks said:
Planting the seeds of sedition in your nation, if true, is a valid reason to be put to death for.
To all those who protest otherwise, what does the USA do to spies? Or don't you know?

Empirically speaking, if you're calculating what sort of effect this would have on the future of the human species, I'd say most likely next to nothing.

SOPA is many orders of magnitude worse than this.
If an iranian person came here and developed a game in which americans are the bad guys and you kill them (MW2 for example) he would not be put to death. And no sedition isnt a valid reason to be put to death, freedom of speech much? Im allowed to say america sucks and try and convince others likewise without being murdered. Illegally gathering intelligence is spying. Making counter government statements is not a legitimate reason to be killed and i have yet to hear of one american who has been executed for this. Occupy wallstreet should have been killed. It might ignite a war. Thats empircally small yes, and to you it IS smaller than SOPA since it wont affect you. It wont be good though. Not at all.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
This is horrible, but to be honest, the US doesn't help itself when it comes to not-pissing-off-or-scaring-Iran.

I think this is relevant:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150520544160802&set=a.10150140832250802.332879.207770190801&type=1

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
RebelRising said:
we can hold Iran to a nuclear double standard from which Israel is exempt
There is no double standard. That is an intellectually dishonest and lazy straw man. Israel can have nuclear weapons for the same reason Pakistan, India and China can. It's not signatory to the NPT. Iran not only signed the treaty, but claims to be in complete support of non-proliferation. By saying there's a double standard, you're implying that Iran wants nuclear weapons, but everyone else is saying 'no.' That is not what's happening, and not even Iran themselves would argue that it is.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
[http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2010-06-23]

OT: Honestly, I hope the revolution that seems to be brewing there starts soon, because their leaders are just asking for trouble, and given the apparent state of their nuclear weapons program, foreign military action probably isn't too far off. >.<

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
SteelStallion said:
funny how that place is shrouded in news propaganda, and we're so easily swayed and influenced by our own news and media.

"Iran fucking sucks and is killing people"

"DEATH TO IRAN RAAAVGGHHHH"

makes you wonder if it isn't just one side that is doing the manipulating. hmmmmmmmm...
I love you for ur opinion. Americas goverment isn't full of saints either.

I don't mean to sound evil or anything but the guy had it coming.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Seraj said:
The U.K isn't as bad as the US in that respect.

Spent 2 months in Canada living with a friend, did not see or hear anyone stressing out over the news.

EDIT: I hope that wasn't a rhetorical question *facepalm*
Canada is easy and possible, but I don't like Stephen Harper's latest comments to Iran. He's jumping on the bandwagon with the "Iran is dangerous" talking points. I don't know anymore....

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Fan meet shit. Welcome to world war 3.

Thing is, if they actually succeed in pissing off Americans enough then the government will intervene eventually and they will learn, like so many before them, that you don't poke a bear with a stick even if you think he smells of blasphemy. Especially if said bear has a big enough cock to fuck your country's asshole until it bleeds.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I guess its safe to presume a war will be starting any minute now. I don't see how the US will sit and let this pass.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Oh Jesus Christ... Honestly America, you like getting involved in this sort of shit, now is no better time to intervene with your world policing ethic, QUICK, QUIIICKKKKK

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
The US will let it pass. They'll roll over and won't say a peep. Too much crap flying their way already as is.
One of those "for the greater good" excuses.

boban

Jan 10, 2012
vansau said:
Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

Shortly after being detained, arrested, and accused of using videogames to spy in Iran, a U.S. game developer has just been sentenced to death.

Amir Mizra Hekmati was visiting Iran this past August when he was detained. He was subsequently put on trial by the Revolutionary Court, which specializes in trials against those accused of trying to overthrow the nation's government. He's just been sentenced to death because he was found guilty of charges that the CIA was paying him to make videogames that would affect public opinion on U.S. policies in the region.

Hekmati is a former U.S. Marine who became a game developer and was employed with Kuma Reality Games, working on a variety of titles for the studio. However, according to the Tehran Times, Hekmati allegedly confessed that "[Kuma] was receiving money from the CIA to (produce) and design and distribute for free special movies and games with the aim of manipulating public opinion in the Middle East. The goal of the company in question was to convince the people of Iran and the people of the entire world that whatever the U.S. does in other countries is a good measure."

It's no secret that Iranian authorities don't harbor any love for Kuma, based on the company's track record. In 2006, CEO Keith Halper admitted that his company worked on training software for the U.S. Army, but never claimed that any other government organization was backing any other projects. Additionally, one of KumaWar episodes the company created was called "Assault on Iran" and required players to infiltrate an Iranian nuclear facility in order to grab evidence of illegal uranium enrichment and sabotage the country's atomic weaponry.

The White House has repeatedly denied that Hekmati either worked for the CIA or was sent to Iran by the organization. On top of that, the White House has been calling for his release ever since he was detained:

"Allegations that Mr. Hekmati either worked for, or was sent to Iran by the CIA are false," said Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for the White House's National Security Council. "The Iranian regime has a history of falsely accusing people of being spies, of eliciting forced confessions, and of holding innocent Americans for political reasons."

Iran's routinely been the country that everyone reads about and does a double-take, simply because the news that comes out of the area is insane. This is the place with a president <a href=http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hATGOzv6YSmgeMY1zdYbdpyrG2cw>who told an audience at Columbia University that his country doesn't have homosexuals. It's a nation where the government is at war with itself and the Supreme Leader is having the president's allies <a href=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/05/ahmadinejad-allies-charged-with-sorcery>arrested on charges of sorcery and witchcraft. Now, it's going to execute a man because he made videogames.

Source: <a href=http://www.tehrantimes.com/component/content/article/93702>Tehran Times via <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39542/Video_game_designer_sentenced_to_death_in_Iran_over_propaganda_charges.php>Gamasutra

Hey, Mike, me again. Here's an example of what an unbiased article on sensitive subject looks like:
http://www.destructoid.com/game-designer-sentenced-to-death-for-spying-propaganda-219322.phtml

The author is one of your own, you could learn from him.

Lousy journalism is one of the main causes od shit in today's world. Journalism has the power to make war, or peace. I suggest you do your research next time you write about Iran or whatever else. If you think I am insane, please take a look at the comments on your article here at The Escapist, and then at the comments on the Destructoid article. See the difference?

There's a reason for that difference, Mike.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
deathninja said:
Woodsey said:
What a bunch of cunts.
All the debate and opinion in the rest of the thread aside, it all boils down to this.

It's brinkmanship, pure and simple. Between this, uranium enrichment and the Straits of Hormuz either someone (Israel most likely) will snap or Ahmadinejad will know he can get away with being a prick.
I reckon so as well. Hell, the Israelis once sank a French ship carrying reactor equipment bound for Iraq a couple of decades back. They know that Ahmadinejad is fucking nuts, and if he gets nukes he's not beyond lobbing a few at Tel Aviv.

And to be fair, the Israelis have a track record of kicking the shit out of all their neighbours when threatened. If this ends badly for anyone, it will be for Ahmadinejad when Mossad are finally let off the leash.