Is anyone defending EA at this point?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
shrekfan246 said:
I don't like EA's business practices, and they've given tons of legitimate reasons for people to criticize them, but the hate has quite frankly reached some illogical singularity at this point. People are latching onto any "bad" reports they can to try and bad-mouth EA even further, even when it turns out those reports were completely fake or taken out of context and thus mean nothing like what the people imply. I find it ridiculous.
Very true. I remember seeing one guy complain that the Origin customer support gave him some discount vouchers. He'd bought a game right before it went on sale and was outraged that they'd given him vouchers instead of giving him the game for the sale price "like Steam would.".

They didn't have to give him anything, that was a fantastic example of good customer service, to be frank. I really hope I'd just been Poe'd.

EA do some shitty things, but people treat them like monsters that can do no right and must never be forgiven.
That annoyed me to no end, I wanted to smack the entitled brat over the back of the head for that. EA aren't perfect, but their not an evil villain. Their a corporation trying to make money and balance customer satisfaction, and its not easy. I may not like all their games and hate some of their decisions, but that doesn't make them evil. Just stupid and greedy at times.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
aguspal said:
Well I dont hate them, Actually I kinda like them because they are comedian, they make me laugh hard at times, and thats more than what I can say about certain OTHER horrible companies (Definitivly not talking about BIOWARE, I promise! really...).

They are really like an interwebz troll or a villian in a kid´s show, they make people RAGE hard, and, really, at a certain point or another I would rather side with them than the people who complain about EVERY SINGLE THING they do, for (at times, not always) no reason at all other than because its cool to hate them. Like the people who hate on COD for really, REALLY petty reasons. So, again, I rather side with them than with these complainers.

Plus, they CHALLENGE EVERYTHING after all... so yeah.

Also I recently played Dead Space 3 an its an awesome game, better than 1 or 2 but EA haters just strike again and AGAIN, good thing I am not blind like them because WOW... (Not saying than the game dosnt have its troubles, and if you dont like it for legit reasons than its ok)
So you would rather side with a corporation who really does'nt give a damn about you(almost all corporations don't)because you don't like the people who complain about them?Good on you personally I don't see the point in defending or hating EA they don't give a fuck if you hate them or defend them they only care about making money.

I always laugh when I see people white knighting or leading witch hunts against these corporations because they don't realize the people they are defending or hating on don't really care if they hate them or not.
Pretty much this... They dont give a flying s*** about anything or anyone except money!

So for me I am cool with it, I enjoy the games they get the money. Case closed.

Its still fun to have some people argue about it, thougt.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm not going to exaggerate any wrong doing they've done to me (in recent years), because I didn't buy their 'service' this time around.
So I'm just kinda sitting here drinking my tea and watching the usual chaos revolving that heinous publisher unfold.

Honestly it's kinda fun watching them shit on more generations of gamers. Surely their trust mountain must be the consistency of gram crackers by now and a stone thrown at it will send it crumbling to the ground. If not well...

I can only continue to sit here and hope more developers will leave them or stay far away, so they can just muddle in their recycled frat-persons franchises.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Absolutionis said:
ResonanceSD said:
After maxis have improved servers

Note "maxis" not "ea"

Because it was maxis who decided that cloud computing would underpin SimCity 5
They're the same company and the same entity.

Yes, what you're missing is that people who make decisions for a publisher aren't the ones who make decisions on the development side. Are you saying that the pubs wore a disguise, crept into a dev meeting and said "CLOUD COMPUTING IS A THING WE MUST DO"?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Also realize there's a difference between merely defending, versus understanding the reasons behind the game dev process or a design decision. We don't necessarily agree with the decision, but at least we understand it, and support the developers on making a game how they want.

Doesn't help there's always a lot of misinformation going around though, and no one ever seems to fact-check and verify before posting.

And of course, just because they don't make a game how YOU want, doesn't necessarily make it a bad game either.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
bug_of_war said:
Sure DRM is bad, but they're trying to stop piracy, which is a bad thing, and while DRM hasn't worked in the past that doesn't mean they should just give up.
They should if the only methods they can come up with involve taking that abuse and turning it around to burden their legitimate customers.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I don't really defend EA but I may defend some of the developers that they own. Overall though I don't really have a negative or positive opinion on EA.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I don't defend them, because they neither need it nor deserve it.

However, I WILL point out patently false claims being made by people on the matter. From either side. (for or against)

Hate them or love them, I don't care. EA is just a company, one of whom has business practices I personally loathe, but anyone is free to feel about them however they wish.

If you want to defend every action they make, that's your choice. If you want to chastise them for everything, even the smallest infraction, that's your prerogative.

Either way, it's no skin off my bones. However, if you start "making shit up" to back up your claims or opinions, you can be sure I'll call you on it.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
Absolutionis said:
ResonanceSD said:
After maxis have improved servers

Note "maxis" not "ea"

Because it was maxis who decided that cloud computing would underpin SimCity 5
They're the same company and the same entity.

Yes, what you're missing is that people who make decisions for a publisher aren't the ones who make decisions on the development side. Are you saying that the pubs wore a disguise, crept into a dev meeting and said "CLOUD COMPUTING IS A THING WE MUST DO"?
Firstly, it's not cloud computing. SimCity5 employs the typical server-client relationship that checks to ensure you're online every 5min. The server does not do anything aside from keep your save files and maintain the online DRM.

Secondly, you would be right when the developer and the publisher are separate entities, but that case is becoming rarer nowadays. In EA's case especially, the development and publishing are intertwined within the same company to such a degree that one influences the other. Does Maxis have the freedom to seek other publishers? Can it release on platforms other than Origin? Is it allowed to not repeat the same mistakes that EA has done with every other game? No.

EA and Maxis are literally the same entity. "Maxis" is just a name EA slops on a package in order to invoke nostalgia or quality. It's the same with the term "Bioware".

It's the same thing as the studio Ubisoft Montreal making Far Cry 3 or Assassin's Creed 9. They put the Ubisoft logo on there alone. If there is a mistake, we don't blame Ubisoft Montreal independent of Ubisoft the publisher. Why are we treating Bioware and Maxis as separate entities?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
If you lose connection to the server, you don't get booted out, you run the game locally.
Then why in the nine circles did not include an offline mode for the game?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Ed130 said:
ResonanceSD said:
If you lose connection to the server, you don't get booted out, you run the game locally.
Then why in the nine circles did not include an offline mode for the game?

How the hell should I know, I don't work for them.

Captcha: play ball!

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
MoltenSilver said:
bug_of_war said:
Sure DRM is bad, but they're trying to stop piracy, which is a bad thing, and while DRM hasn't worked in the past that doesn't mean they should just give up.
They should if the only methods they can come up with involve taking that abuse and turning it around to burden their legitimate customers.
I concur. The thing is DRM doesn't stop piracy. The people who are going to pirate aren't doing it to spite the company. They are doing it because they hate DRM, don't have the money, have the money but are to lazy or cheap to buy the game, or just don't care.

Using intrusive DRM WILL NEVER STOP PIRACY. EVER. Period.

All Intrusive DRM does is make more people who ARE Fans stop buying it. So you don't get more people to buy it. You make more people stop buying. All they have done with this DRM is made it so pirates (Who weren't going to buy it anyway) Can't pirate it. And pissed off their casual players. As well as their fanbase. They have done nothing beneficial and sunk time and money into a system that gave them MORE BAD PRESS.

I don't get it.

You could possibly argue that some Pirates will be inconvenienced enough to buy it, but then they are even more inconvenienced by the idea that they have to install yet another client like steam. And then have to always be online. And then they could possibly lose their work. And since three of the reasons pirate pirate include being lazy and hating DRM. It is very unlikely.

StargateSpankyHam

Aug 30, 2011
I don't care what it says in the EULA - When I buy a game, I am not buying a 'service'. I am buying intellectual freaking PROPERTY, transferred from the company that creates and publishes it, to me. Once I OWN it, I will use it in whatever ways I damn well please, because I paid for those rights. The ONLY single right I did not buy is the right to reproduce and redistribute the game.

If a game ever requires that I connect to the internet - I do not buy it. I recently returned Farcry 3, because Ubisoft wanted me to make an account - a freaking USER ACCOUNT, just to access a single player game. It is none of your business what I own, Ubisoft. I will register NOTHING.

Besides, what happens if I did buy Simcity? What happens in forty years when I pull this laptop out of a box, plug my ancient power supply into the plasma conduit adapter in the wall, and start up Simcity? Is the damn thing going to try and connect to servers that no longer exist?

I have a computer with Windows-freaking-95 on it - and I still use it for gaming. I still periodically crank up games like Terminal Velocity or Havoc. I have another with Windows XP on it, which I use for Mechwarrior 3 and 4.

There is nothing in a game that will ever be worth integrating with 'cloud computing'. EVER.

EA, I'm staring straight at you. I'll never monetize anything you touch.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
ThriKreen said:
And of course, just because they don't make a game how YOU want, doesn't necessarily make it a bad game either.
True enough, but for a single entity to become as reviled as EA has become, you must admit that they're stepping on a lot of people's toes to reach that level. It doesn't help that they outright lie about us liking what they're doing either.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
jpoon said:
They're easily one of the most anti-consumer gaming companies out there. Nothing more needs to be known about them. Stop buying their shit and they will go away.
But I want a game NOW, screw having to wait a few years for an even better one that doesn't treat me like a criminal

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
In short, no. They've done too much too many times to come back from this point. At this point, I figure they should just give up and dive headfirst into the douchebag pool and enjoy it. They'll still make tons of money, regardless of how much people dislike them.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
There are always sycophants.

I would say anyone who bought Sim City or any other EA game on day one deserved what ever crap they had to deal with. It's like watching a friend return to an abusive relationship. When the cops say they can't do anything about it, all you can do is watch in horror from the sidelines. I am just watching with a big bag of popcorn while they burn themselves to the ground, and likely cause a crash at the same time. EA simply has their fingers in too many pies to just die alone, but that doesn't worry me. Crashes usually mean reboots, and the industry desperately needs one of those, if just to get rid of entities like EA.