Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
No one ever remembers Pojog, the homo erectus who harnessed fire.

*If my paleoanthropology is off, I'm sorry. What I know on the subject I learned from 90's sitcom characters.

Critical Five

Nov 8, 2009
Front men always, always, get more credit then they are due. But we are an imaged obsessed society so we get people like that. Bill Gates seems like his more of an innovator. His charity work is outstanding. We have to remember technology is more then just pieces of equipment it's know of how to use, support and build it and everything else that came before.

Andre Echo

Sep 6, 2011
Like everyone else in this forum, I'm pissed of at some of the people on the list. But I don't really feel that there's anything more to say about that so...

I would probably put Alfred Nobel on the list. A great innovator and inventor, he successfully both invented dynamite and marketed it to the world. He also inspired and helped untold numbers of future scientists, inventors and such by creating the Nobel Prize. Just saying, feels like a pretty good candidate to me, though I personally would probably would vote for Tesla.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
BLOCK OF TEXT BELOW!

Tanis said:
Steve Jobs was about as 'innovate' as Zynga.
I agree. You see, Steve Jobs changes to the world will probably fade in a total of ten years. Thomas Edison's / Telsa's innovation can lasted about one hundred and thirty two years we have been using electricity.

While I'm just showing that technically, Steve should be below Edison who should be below Telsa and etc. I don't think this is a list of innovators, its a list of very popular people, not of innovation.

Also, where in the hell is Bill Gates, at least in the bottom of the list, he did great things.

Manji187 said:
So, the Escapist's list would be?

1. Nikola Tesla
2. Nikola Tesla
3. Nikola Tesla
4. Nikola Tesla
5. Nikola Tesla
6. Nikola Tesla
7. Nikola Tesla
8. Nikola Tesla
9. Nikola Tesla
10. Nikola Tesla
Sorry, I had to edit in the names after 1 because it looked so sad without a name near those numbers. Also, may I ask, should we be heavily biased to Nikola Tesla since were on this site.. Or? Is it peer pressure.

Flac00 said:
Mmhm. So do you like using your mouse? Cause without Steve Jobs no one would be using one right now since Xerox certainly wasn't gonna do anything with that. Have you bought that many CD's (or at least known about other people commonly buying them) in recent memory? Cmon man, just because he perfected an idea means that he stole it? Do you know how many famous innovators we know who didn't invent anything? Ironically, you are sounding more "hipstery" by decrying the actions of a man who has INNOVATED constantly. Open your eyes, much of what we take for granted may never have existed had it not been for him and the after effects of his actions.
He never innovated, at all, in the history of ever. We can even go back far, far back to the original track ball, it was never pateneted, but it was made in 1952 by Tom Cranston, Fred Longstaff and Kenyon Taylor. Then we can go even further in and find the first mouse prototype, made by Douglas Engelbart in 1963. The term "Mouse" was made because, originally, because the device had the wire coming out towards the user, not away. Now lets go and find the first Apple mouse.

Apple's first mouse was made in 1986, and it was called the Apple Desktop Bus. This mouse was relitevily square, but was able to keep its head above the water, unlike the two other examples. It had its wire coming out the front, reverse of what the past ones have been like. As far as I can tell, the only difference between them was the fact that one was commercially successful, and the others failed to be so.

Yes, Apple is innovative because they have buisness smarts. /sarcasm/

Heres a wikipedia article on the matter for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)#Early_mice

Then another source for you, however, I have not read through it, but it should back up my statement in full: http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/compmouse.htm

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
Here is my list I just made up ;D

1. Archimedes
2. Leonardo Da Vinci
3. Albert Einstein
4. Nikola Tesla
5. Norman Borlaug
6. William Shakespeare
7. Galileo Galilei
8. Richard Feynman
9. Charles Darwin
10. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Babitz said:
Therumancer said:
Also, Bill didn't invent MS DOS, he bought it from some Russian guy and sold it as his own product.
Steve Jobs, on the other hand, probably never even wrote a line of code in his life. All he did was leech on people smarter than him, like Edison.
Bill Gates bought DOS from Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer (for 50k if I'm not mistaken), not "some Russian guy".
Really? I guess I must have mixed this up with something else. Thanks for the clarification.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Refines ideas is praised as one of the greatist innovater

***** PLEASE
Nikola Tesla invented hundreds of amazing inventions he innovated on almost everything

and mark zukerberg hes a fucking retard he had to drop out of computer science cus he couldnt do it and even if what did he create a website to stalk your Friends WOW amazing

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I wouldn't say Jobs is the second greatest innovator, it's more like he took technology we already had and made it do something else. He didn't invent the MP3 player, but he popularized it. He didn't invent the smartphone, he made it popular to have one. He didn't invent the tablet, he just made it cooler.

I'll say that on those three occasions Apple certainly led the trends and forced other companies to jump as high as he did. Innovator? Maybe. Trend starter? Definitely.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
No... no, no, no, no, no!

And where is Nikola Tesla? I thought this poll was held at MIT! Aren't they supposed to be smarter than this?

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
The only two people who deserve to be in there are Alexanger Graham Bell and Marie Curie.
Both Jobs and Edison excelled at having the public believe they invented things which they didn't really, Amelia Earhart was just a pilot, albeiit a famous one, and I don't even know what Gradin did.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Wright brothers yet.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I find it extremely amusing that the pic for this article is a broken link at the time I'm posting this.

Yes, to my father's generation who views anyone who can competently manipulate or fix a computer as some sort of arcane practitioner, Steve Jobs would seem some sort of grand master of sorcery for his "inventing" of so many nifty computer thingamabobs. To my generation and the one currently reaching adulthood who know better, not so much.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I disagree heavily with pretty much all the candidates.

They are the most famous, or popular innovators of all time... They didn't innovate shit though. Steve Jobs probably did do some innovation, but it really isn't much.

Mark Zuckerburg is an innovator.

Thomas Edison? Wasn't it proved that he actually didn't invent most of the stuff he claimed to invent? He just got in there and patented it first? Yeah, great.

I personally think the greatest innovator is Dennis Ritchie. He created C, which would lead to C++ and Java pretty much on his own, devised several languages in which computers communicate with each other, and invented the UNIX operating system, which is the system that allows the entire internet to work. He is the sole reason that any tech company can even exist. When he died, nobody gave two shits. Not one single paper made a report on his death.

Steve Jobs was the boss of someone who invented the iPod and iTunes. He didn't come up with any of the ideas by himself, nor lay claim to most of the things that made apple successful. Steve Jobs most 'innovation' would probably lay with the progress in animation techniques he acquired in Pixar some years before joining Apple.

So yeah, massive, MASSIVE popularity contest here.

Monkey_Warfare

Sep 10, 2008
For modern examples how about Ian Wilmut and Kieth Cambell who cloned Dolly the sheep and were a decade ahead of anyone else in the field as all others discounted it as impossible. Or maybe Frederick Sanger who developed Sanger sequencing propelling genetics forwards a phenomenal amount.
No the top three are Thomas Edison, a businessman who stole his ideas and refused to pay the people who came up with them. Steve Jobs was a man who stole others ideas, slapped a apple logo on it and hiked the price up by 50% while abusing his staff and treating his consumers like morons and also encouraged stagnation by starting a patent war that will prevent new technological development. Finally Alexander Graham bell, who bribed the patent clerk to refuse a the first man to submit a telephone patent so his would win. My generation is a bunch of idiots. These were not innovators, innovators look at what is available and discern new applications, the first two merely relied on the innovation of others and claimed their ideas while the third was an innovator someone else achieved it before him, he just cheated. None of these are people our children should see as role models.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Can we please just elevate Steve Jobs to saint already, put him on some fucking stained glass windows and stop fucking talking about this guy? Jesus Christ. I have an iPhone myself, and it's a great device, but goddam it if I'm not sick and fucking tired of people talking about Jobs like he's the fucking second coming. Holy shit.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
spacecookie said:
Nope. Nick Tesla.

Why does Tesla get no love? His ideas and inventions were way ahead of their time and better than anything Edison made in his life.

VOTE TESLA!
Because there is a difference between Invention and Innovation. Tesla may have invented all of those things but Edison was the driving force behind it's true success, without Edison it would not have caught on. Not to mention that Tesla was kind of insane, I mean the man claimed he invented a death ray.

OT: Jobs knew how to put other peoples ideas to good use, so he deserve some credit

However the list should include

The Wright Brothers
Henry Ford
Walt Disney
George Lucas

should all be on the list.

Oh and if Jobs being on a list makes people worry check out this list

http://www.terraverdeonline.com/98-entrepreneurs/.html

Specifically 20,40, and 89

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
trooper6 said:
One of my pet peeves is triggered right here:
"While he did great and wonderful things, most of his work was in the 1880s."

Don't Call something the Greatest X of All Time if you only mean "of the last 50 years." And also don't call something the Greatest X of All Time when you only mean "in the US and UK."

The Greatest Songs of All Time!...are somhow only from after 1955? and almost all of them are American and British? Really?
Not true, many great bands are Canadian
Simple Plan
Sum 41
Barenaked Ladies
To name a few

As for the part about 1955, it's because that's when music started to become what we know it today.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
If people taught history properly, Edison wouldn't even be on that list, the man was a patent troll and a thug.

Also, a list of innovators that does not include Da Vinci (or Tesla?!?). I despair!
because Da Vinci didn't build most of his idea's

and Tesla never wanted the spotlight that most inventors do... Hell tesla found out how to make electricity flow from a wireless power generator to a light bulb that he could hold in his hand....

but alas the apple-tards still view him as an "inventor"