Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I really can't be bothered to go through your replies one by one simply because most of them aren't even points or arguments at all. You call me out for speaking condescendingly but all you seem to do is talk down to me. Basically this comes down to whether a university poll is worthy of research time. I think it is not, you apparently think it is. Yes I do have a lot of better things to do then what you do. My spelling has absolutely nothing to do with my intelligence so I don't even know why you bother to bring it up.

As far as I see it few arguments or points you actually included that are in some way relevent don't even really address any of my points at all. Please point out to me where and how I "questioned the greatest innovators of all time". I never did that, nor did I say that I have the knowledge to do so. If anything my argument was the exact oppositte, I was trying to point out the few people find that area of study interesting and so are less likely to have knowledge within that subject, sure if someone asked me who the greatest innovator of all time is I would say I didn't know, but that isn't what happened. These people saw a poll, saw the names on there and thought "well I do use many of the products that (as far as their knowledge) were invented by Steve Jobs" so they vote for him.

It isn't like they are idiots it is just that the entire premise of this poll seems to be faulty. I'm sure if the poll was conducted at some innovation expo the results would be very different, and would most likely reflect your views.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
doggie015 said:
Bevin Warren said:
Zynga didn't make the graphical interface popular.
- neither did apple - [It was originally made by Zerox but Apple got it to market before anyone else]
Zynga didn't make digital distribution popular.
-neither did apple -you can probably thank the guys behind Steam for that [And the fact that steam are now launching an iPhone app is just a coincidence right?]
Zynga didn't make digital music players popular.
[Incorrect comment removed]
Zynga didn't make all-touch phones popular.
Zynga didn't make tablets popular.
- [Blatantly incorrect comment removed]
Zynga made Facebook games popular. And that is all.
and Apple has never sucessfully made a computer game...

if you want innovation in computing look at IBM, Intel, AMD, Nvidia
I beg to differ. Who took the hard-drive-based music player from fad to fab in 2001?

Who first fit a full desktop-style web browser into a commercially available mobile device?

Who adapted existing capacitive touch-screen technology into the touch-screens we use on EVERY multi-touch capable device today?

Who basically CREATED the modern day cheap app-based games market?

Who is responsible for bringing apple back from the brink of bankruptcy after they rather stupidly tossed him out?

Who consistently sold out keynote speeches?
Apple with Steve Jobs taking credit.
Microsoft for demanding Jobs came back after they bailed them out.
Steve Job's marketing team.

Say what you want, but the one thing you shouldn't really say is the lack of validity of your opposition's arguments. All it serves to do is highlight the unconfidence you have in your own arguments.

- Not sent from my iPad.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Edison and Jobs were good at herding inventors, which can be like herding cats, brilliant at claiming others ideas as their own and astounding publicity seekers. If that is what an "innovator" is, then I suppose they are the top 2.

I know Amelia Earhart was good at getting lost, what else did she do?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Kahldris71 said:
Alexander Graham Bell anyone? Or what about the guys at IBM that invented a new way of recording data?
My dear boy, if we're going to talk about innovators from IBM then we'll be naming half the entire staff list.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
doggie015 said:
I beg to differ. Who took the hard-drive-based music player from fad to fab in 2001?
Diamond Rio - 1998
HanGo Personal Jukebox - 1998
Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox - 2000
Guess what just found another!
Archos Jukebox - 2000
doggie015 said:
Who first fit a full desktop-style web browser into a commercially available mobile device?
Nokia

EDIT: forgot the Diamond Rio and HanGo
EDIT 2: Archos Jukebox

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
Steve Jobs made nice looking things which don't do much and are restrictive, Mark Zuckerburg has the details of the lives of a 14th of the world's population and has created something foul ):

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Bevin Warren said:
- neither did apple - their is a reason Microsost had a 90% market share
-neither did apple -you can probably thank the guys behind Steam for that
- neither did Apple - heck they still don't have a major share of the market...
- neither did apple
- and Apples first tablets were totally ridiculed and only became popular with a small market share - laptops still sell more then IPads... even Apple recognise this

- neither did apple
--- Well they might of made them popular but Android has vastly increased the popularity of smartphones more than apple

Griffolion said:
doggie015 said:
Bevin Warren said:
- neither did apple - [It was originally made by Zerox but Apple got it to market before anyone else]
-neither did apple -you can probably thank the guys behind Steam for that [And the fact that steam are now launching an iPhone app is just a coincidence right?]
- [Blatantly incorrect comment removed]

Who adapted existing capacitive touch-screen technology into the touch-screens we use on EVERY multi-touch capable device today?

Who basically CREATED the modern day cheap app-based games market?

Who is responsible for bringing apple back from the brink of bankruptcy after they rather stupidly tossed him out?

Who consistently sold out keynote speeches?
Microsoft for demanding Jobs came back after they bailed them out.
Steve Job's marketing team.

Say what you want, but the one thing you shouldn't really say is the lack of validity of your opposition's arguments. All it serves to do is highlight the unconfidence you have in your own arguments.

- Not sent from my iPad.
Who still doesn't have flash on their phones
Who comes out with the same phone every year
Who only got fame because they were the first smartphone and only was called the "best" because people tried to play catch up to fast
Who gets ripped to shreds when they try to say that apple is better

Apple
Apple
Apple
Apple-tards

So now that he is gone you think they will get flash in the phone..... 10 years after everyone else

-sent from my HTC EVO 3D

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Antari said:
Obviously history has taken a serious back seat since I went to school. This list is just shocking.
I'm IN school (college) and I'm shocked by this list!

Why aren't any of the other great innovators on this, guess facebook was more important than gravity, and heliocentricity, and the motherfucking wheel.

Okay, that last one is a bit silly, but still!

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
If people taught history properly, Edison wouldn't even be on that list, the man was a patent troll and a thug.
I think the voters were counting on people drawing a parallel conclusion to Jobs.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I think some people from Germany during the Second world war should be there.
Making blueprints for a tank which is technically a modern tank now-a-days as a joke is pretty innovative lol

And off course the people mentions above too *nods*

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Irridium said:
Thomas Edison was a crank and completely screwed over Tesla, a much better man who would have made the world a much better place.

Tesla wanted to give everyone FREE energy. Edison wanted to charge for it, so he smeared the shit out of Tesla's name. This isn't even touching on all the ideas Tesla had, and could've probably done had he not been screwed by Edison.

Fuck Edison.

Dexter111 said:
This is the second:

This is what I thought of:

Also, to the creator of the survey, if you don't want people to bring up innovators from the past, say "best modern innovator" and not "best innovator of ALL TIME".
Don't forget that Steve Jobs ate at a restaurant owned by his biological father and quickly left when he found out.

The man was a pyschopath. But he did make a pretty phone.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I would definitely call Steve Jobs an innovator. The iPhone, for example, was extremely innovated for it's time, incorporating Norman's design principles in ways that most other smartphones weren't even close. I wouldn't call him the second top innovator of all time though.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
So the list goes:
-Grade A thieving twat
-Mainstreamer, not an inventor
-First one to get to the patent office
-A true science martyr
-Don't even get me started

I'm going to stop there, lest the bile choke me to death. This is a very crappy list. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what you invented (or stole), as long as it's popular.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Bevin Warren said:
- neither did apple - their is a reason Microsost had a 90% market share
--Yes, actually apple did make it popular. The only other competing GUI computer at the time was xerox, and a total flop. Windows was nowhere to be found.
-neither did apple -you can probably thank the guys behind Steam for that
--iTunes came out years before steam
- neither did Apple - heck they still don't have a major share of the market...
--Actually, apple has a 70% market share among digital music players
- neither did apple
--I don't know where you are getting that, but all touch phones were niche before the iPhone, and capacitive touch screens were barely in the market at all.
- and Apples first tablets were totally ridiculed and only became popular with a small market share - laptops still sell more then IPads... even Apple recognize this
--Totally ridiculed by people who never used them. By everyone else, they were- and are a huge success.
--Apple released the app store, the largest mobile game distribution market in existence.
Apart from IBM, none of those companies really revolutionized anything, except for maybe intel in it's early days.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Nami nom noms said:
hahahaha! Mark Zuckerberg! oh deary me.

I needed a good laugh. Now, where's the real list?
Swap out zuckerberg for ford, and the pilot for tesla, and it's not THAT bad of a list...