Is this morally bad?

Immortal_Engines

Aug 6, 2010
Mazza35 said:
Just wouldn't go to the wars, WWII, drafting. Working as a public servant (Railways) except from draft.
Just because we live longer doesn't mean we live better, everyone is getting fatty, lazier and so many people just sit and do nothing to contribute to society and still get money.
I really think those people should be killed. Unless they get off their lazy asses and work for the betterment of everyone.
Um...
I...
Yeah...
No offence, but I think you may need help.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Nothing wrong with wanting to kill our enemies...

Do it in a setting which encourages such behavior.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Mazza35 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Mazza35 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Mazza35 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Mazza35 said:
Just wouldn't go to the wars, WWII, drafting. Working as a public servant (Railways) except from draft.
Just because we live longer doesn't mean we live better, everyone is getting fatty, lazier and so many people just sit and do nothing to contribute to society and still get money.
I really think those people should be killed. Unless they get off their lazy asses and work for the betterment of everyone.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, which worries me because I'm usually pretty good at telling the difference...

You want to make things better for everyone, but want to kill those who don't?

I...

What?
Basically yeah, contribute or die. Pretty good motivation I think.
Let's just say that I'm glad you're in a very small minority.
How is it a bad thing? Okay it's a little a-moral. But people seem to forget that only 80 years ago, if you didn't contribute, you did die!
Great!

Hey, why we're at it, let's go back to the Dark Ages, only good things can come from that right?
Nah, 1880s for me mate :p
Also, know anyone with a time machine?
Let's go back to the 1860's during the Civil War. Question: What was the number on cause of death among soldiers? *jeopardy music* Time! If you guessed bullets, you are wrong. Disease was the cause of two out of every three deaths in the war.

Now tell me, do you really wish to go back to a time where they didn't understand the importance of sanitation? Where the average lifespan was about 15 years less than it is today? Think about that really hard. The 1800s might be a place to visit, but I doubt you'd want to live there.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Mazza35 said:
That I am joining the Army because I actually want to get away from everyone and blow shit up, kill people and chew bubble gum?
I think it, but I love the idea so much of going to war and fucking people up with bullets and knives...
A good friend of mine was in the Army Reserves for a while, and one of the regulars, an Officer, said something to him about urges like that in soldiers:

"It is easier to teach a sane man to shoot straight, than it is to make straight shooting crazy, normal"

I'm not a doctor and even if I was, a few smart arse remarks on the internet wouldn't be enough for me to say if you're genuinely unhinged or just a dickhead....but the Army doctors and officers who screen you will look very carefully into how well in the head you are and if they get the slightest inkling that you're a couple of Coopers short of a six pack, they'll tell you to fuck right off.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Eh. I'm broken, so I wouldn't really consider that morally wrong.
All humans have an inclination to violence...or most at least...or the 'most' that I know of.
Whilst actually experiencing extreme violence will be a rude shock to your system, if you're built for it - enjoy. You get paid a decent wage to do what you're built for, and you don't have to worry about spending the next 25 odd years in a little dungeon.
If you're not built for it however, you'll be in disgust, probably hate yourself for a while, wisen up and leave...and go become a teacher or something. I dunno.

Good luck with your conquest.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
kinda terrible to be honest.

Still, least you are sane enough to know that those urges are not good for general society and that instead you are better off going into a segment of society where it is at least somewhat more acceptable to do that. If you can be content with killing people the government tells you to kill, then knock yourself out there.

Guess this decision would be ethical but not moral? Or maybe inverse that, I always kinda confuse them. Basically, it is still not good in terms of right and wrong (you are killing people because you want to kill people), but it is done in a way that betters society (arguably, as it really just furthers the government's goals, but some could argue that in turn is reflection of the society who elected its goals...), is not illegal and does as little harm to your own society as you can manage. So... good idea...?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Suit yourself. If you like killing, at least try to do it for the common good.
The problem is that nowadays, killing "enemies" isn't the solution. Killing Terrorists who claim to fight for the freedom of their oppressed countries makes them martyrs and fuels the hatred. Killing one might drive his whole family to extremists too, and sooner or later, everyone is your enemy.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
I'm gonna say yes, that's awful, but you shouldn't join the army. On one hand, (assuming all of the OP's posts are what he actually thinks) you should, simply because then you'd be removed from regular society, maybe far away to Afghanistan, and I wouldn't have to worry about running into you on the street. On the other hand, given Australian gun laws, you'd be hard pressed to fuck shit up with bullets over here and knife rampages are quite a bit tougher, so you'd do less damage. Probably. On the other hand (the weird shriveled third one), if you join the army and espouse this kind of horrible, anti-social rhetoric then kill a bunch of people, the headline will be "Violent trained monkeys in the army are violent!" and not "Video games make people kill people!"

Also, your later posts suggest an absurd lack of empathy, which I find pretty nasty, and moreover, if you reckon everything was better 100 years ago, how about you go write it out in a letter, be opressed by a classist, sexist, and racist society, and then, in the afternoon, die from polio. I don't know about you, but that sounds fun to me!

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
When I was working with US navy, i met a few guys that were there because his father and cousins got killed in 911.
He said that he was there to fight for justice.
Apparently (I am drunk as hell so i dont remember much) but he is a MP in Japan because he is too crazy to take to the actual war.
I dunno if that happens, but, yeah...

I dont think thats bad.
maybe you can just joined the french Mercenary

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I think you're over estimating how many troops we have in the middle east. On top of that I believe only the SASR get into anything that could really get you killed (I mean action). Anyway I thought we planned to have all our troops out sometime next year. Even if you get into the army you will be too late for the 'party'.

I guess there will always be some armed conflict. Just don't say that in your psychological evaluation.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Let's not even touch on morals yet, let's just break down what exactly you will be doing when you're deployed (hint: it probably won't be killing people with guns and knives, I can almost guarantee that).

Here's how your time in the Army is going to be spent, OP:

Masturbation (you'll be doing this a lot)
Firing practice once every now and then
Cleaning and maintaining your rifle to the point where you can do it blindfolded
More masturbation
Eating
Patrols
Getting sleep in whenever you can
and generally being bored as fuck

And when/if you do happen to engage an enemy, they will most likely be so far away that you cannot see them and they can probably see you, which is terrifying as shit.

And that's assuming you get stationed in a hot zone, which you very well might not be.

The military is a great thing for some people, and if it's right for you, look into it and make your decision. I know some guys who say it was the best decision they've ever made. Just don't expect it to be an action movie.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Interesting note, its better to wound the enemy rather than kill them. Kill them, they just move the body out the way till they get a free moment to take care of it. Wounded have to be carried to safety, given medical care, rehabilitated...

And yeah morally bad. Pretty sure they psychological screen most people before they let them join the army, or try and drill them into the right mindset for the armed forces.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Mazza35 said:
blow shit up, kill people and chew bubble gum
Ha. Yeah. That's not happening.

You'd be lucky(?) to see any action, and even luckier if you even manage to get a round into someone. You won't be an action movie hero. You'll just be another grunt cleaning toilets and sitting around for months.

I also see that you're 16, so don't worry, you'll get over it eventually. Teen angst and all that.

Feb 22, 2009
FelixG said:
And screw anyone who says you need to seek help, wanting to kill and destroy is perfectly natural in some folk.
Not wanting to be killed is also perfectly natural, so I guess nature is contradictory. You can't just say something's natural as a reason for it to be ethical, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Feb 22, 2009
FelixG said:
In Search of Username said:
FelixG said:
And screw anyone who says you need to seek help, wanting to kill and destroy is perfectly natural in some folk.
Not wanting to be killed is also perfectly natural, so I guess nature is contradictory. You can't just say something's natural as a reason for it to be ethical, it doesn't make any fucking sense.
If you care to read one or two more times, I never said because it was natural it is ethical. What I said was that he doesnt need to seek help because he wants to kill things.
Which suggests that you think there's nothing wrong with wanting to kill things. Because it's 'perfectly natural'. Which, as I said, makes no sense.