Is this morally bad?

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Mazza35 said:
That I am joining the Army because I actually want to get away from everyone and blow shit up, kill people and chew bubble gum?
I think it, but I love the idea so much of going to war and fucking people up with bullets and knives...
Yeah, because you completely ignore how everyone will fuck you up as well.
There will be pain.
Actually, there will ONLY be pain. The pain will keep you warm at night and be your only friend that will always come back to you.
I wish you all the best, may war last forever for you : D
(no seriously: you just like it because the adrenaline kick will be pretty nice, and the rest will be hell. talk with some veterans.)

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
Your wording scares me, but as long as you're not killing civilians I guess...it's...ok...?

Your desires are difficult to condone.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I'd spend more time on your education if I were you. Perhaps take some philosophy classes.
Also, everyone contributes to society in one way or another. To kill someone is to inhibit the spread of their ideas and is VERY unproductive. The spread of ideas is vital for the advancement of society, especially these days.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Mazza35 said:
I am half joking you do relies?

True point, I really think civilization is falling apart, I really wish I was born 100 years ago >.>
I read your comment afterwards and I have to say that you really remind me of those French and German soldiers who went gung ho into the first world war, saying that it would all be over by Christmas. Have you studied world war 1? It's amazing how you sound like one of those characters in war movies. You should read "All quiet on the western front".

You have a pretty shaky grasp on history, is the one thing I can conclude.

Are you morally wrong? Well you actually care what other people may think, so you're not really insane. Your views are however a bit worrying, but I suppose it's better for you to get in the military and get rid of them that way, then stew in them. Just don't commit war crimes.

EDIT: Your views on unproductive people is either that of a madman, or of a really immature kid. They are definitely amoral.

EDIT EDIT: Actually don't join the army, because you'll probably grow out of your views. It sounds condescending, but it's probably true.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Considering you're apparently about 16 right now, maybe you want to take a few years to think about this before making any decisions yet. It's not totally unheard of for teens to feel disenchanted and angry, so maybe just see how you feel again once you're 18 or 20 or something?

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Yes it is morally bad, and it's people like you that make the military look bad (worse?). Something tells me the Army wouldn't want a person in their ranks like you think. You'll probably fail mental evaluations unless your a amazing bullshitter. Other than that why don't you just walk down the street and start trying to kill people? That way the police can put you down before you have the oppertunity to try and live out some CoD-fantasy wet dream? The military is for people who want to protect and serve thier county.

Feb 22, 2009
FelixG said:
In Search of Username said:
FelixG said:
In Search of Username said:
FelixG said:
And screw anyone who says you need to seek help, wanting to kill and destroy is perfectly natural in some folk.
Not wanting to be killed is also perfectly natural, so I guess nature is contradictory. You can't just say something's natural as a reason for it to be ethical, it doesn't make any fucking sense.
If you care to read one or two more times, I never said because it was natural it is ethical. What I said was that he doesnt need to seek help because he wants to kill things.
Which suggests that you think there's nothing wrong with wanting to kill things. Because it's 'perfectly natural'. Which, as I said, makes no sense.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to kill things. Why do you think there are so many versions of violent media out there? So we can all gasp and shake our heads at it and whine about how unnatural and wrong it is? It begins to get wrong when you let your DESIRE lead to ACTION in some cases.
Which is exactly what he's DOING.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Mazza35 said:
That I am joining the Army because I actually want to get away from everyone and blow shit up, kill people and chew bubble gum?
I think it, but I love the idea so much of going to war and fucking people up with bullets and knives...
It doesn't matter if it's morally right or not, if it's what you want to do then that's probably what you will do regardless of what people say.

Word of advice, killing people and blowing shit up ,as you say, is just a small part of military life.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Mazza35 said:
That is actually pretty short-sighted.

You're making it sound like war is just another Call of Duty session with your buds. It's not. People die. There's no respawn rate, and even being nicked by bits of shrapnel can be dangerous. You wouldn't be downing NPCs for the sake of a scoreboard, you'd be killing people. People with hopes, dreams, families and convictions that, sadly, just don't match ours.

I'll confess, I have zero experience in combat. I don't personally know war veterans, but I've also been taught not to glorify violence. "Blowing shit up" for its own sake is the sort of stuff that makes most people's heads turn in the real world, and not in a good way.

You're probably not going to agree, which wouldn't be surprising, but I'd say you need to reconsider not just your enlistment, but also your reasons for it. If you're serious about it and want to do it for these specific reasons... I'm more than a little worried.

What's to say you won't come back from your tour of duty, bemoan that your Rambo trip is over, and think about blowing shit up on your home turf?

Because that will more than certainly get you convicted and imprisoned.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
Mazza35 said:

True point, I really think civilization is falling apart, I really wish I was born 100 years ago >.>
I'm curious as to why you'd think civilisation is getting worse.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Mazza35 said:
That is very childish. Sounds more like a kid who wants to play CoD in real life.

Get a Psych eval first.
Sadly he'd probably still get in.

Dr Hammer

Aug 26, 2011
Lot's of veterans admit that even though they know killing is morally wrong there is a weird thrill from being in combat. I expect there's even more that don't admit they enjoyed it.

It's one of the strange vagaries of the human condition - while you were in the worst of all possible worlds you were having the time of your life.

A note of caution to the OP though - reality and fantasy rarely match.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Mazza35 said:

Your wording really does scare me. Civilization isn't falling apart - it's changing. The same way it's always been changing. Conservative philosophies like to imagine there were halcyon days where everything was fine and dandy, where the youth respected its elders, where Concord spread across the land like some sort of great boon and all - but that's never actually happened.

A hundred years ago, Russia was on the brink of tearing itself apart from the inside out. A hundred years ago, people died of things we laugh at, nowadays. A hundred years ago, wars lasted not for fast and intense weeks or months, but for years on end. Battlefields were freaking charnel houses by the time the fighting was over. The winter theatre for World War I was a freaking disaster, so much so that some French and Germans decided to fuck it all over Christmas and have a common celebration - for the sake of common peace.

There's never been a time in History that's beaten today's era for the chances each and every human has at having a safe and productive life. The opportunities for that aren't equal, not by a long shot, and that's one thing we'll have to work pretty hard to solve - but the gist is there. Most of us in the First World have just about zero understanding of what it means to truly be in pain, to honestly suffer. We're sheltered and privileged for it.

If you're seriously of the mind that you'd rather risk the loss of life and limb for the sake of feeling awesome about yourself, you're in need of a reality check.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazza35 said:
Tis natural for young men to go though such a phase.

But I suggest you do this virtually with violent video games and the urges to kill will eventually pass.

Realise that going to war you will more often end up on the receiving end, enemies these days don't play "fair" it's all booby traps and posing as civilians with suicide bombs and snipers. To commit to a life in the army you need to be motivated by love for your country and it's cause, but by a killjoy though an urge to kill may make it easier.

Soldiers today need a cool head and steely resolve. You need to be like an executioner or a surgeon. It's not like Iwo Jima with constant dedicated warfare where it's clear where the fight is and who the enemy is, this is more like an old-west sheriff against murderous bandits. You're going to be dealing with civilians WAY WAY MORE than with armed enemy combatants, but some of those posing as civilians will be plotting to kill you yet the army DOES NOT NEED SOLDIERS KILLING CIVILIANS!

I suggest becoming a boxer or some other martial arts sportsman if your passion is beating people, you'll know where your fight is and get it out of your system... and a good coach will get you to focus your energies for in the ring and not in day to day life where being violent will be an impediment.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Yeah it's pretty morally bad for your reasons, but there are other reasons that are more justifiable, such as: protecting people; neutralising hostile threats; hunting down war criminals; etc. Why can't you join up with the UFC or something if you just want to feed your bloodlust?

Going to war on a whim might sound like a good idea to you, but the idea of shooting people will seem less good if you get shot or blown up first.

One documentary I saw about Afghanistan showed a brave 18 year old lad get shot by a taliban sniper immediately when his patrol broke through a field of tall grass they had to pass through. It was his very first patrol and he was dead before he hit the floor. Sadly he didn't stand a chance. It was very disturbing to watch and I can't imagine what it was like for his family, friends and fellow colleagues. Most of these troops' reasons for going to war are respectful and jsutifiable, but yours are not.

Hell, if recruiters asked you "why do you want to sign up to teh military" (which they do), and you told them that, they'd more than likely turn you away.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Killing for the sake of killing is morally wrong. Thank god you're joining the actual military for this, course then you actually have to think about your enemy. A buddy of mine aid the same thing, and when the actual event occurred and he DID have to kill someone, well, it's not an easy thing to do. It's not like video games, it's not like movies or books. I hear a lot of people, usually young people, who are really super macho about such actions, but when are faced with the reality of death, suddenly realize it's not what they originally believed. He still wonders about the men he murdered, if they were like him, had a family, joined for reasons other then "urge to murder".

Course who knows, you could be a psychopath. Just happy you're joining the military and not wounding people at home.