Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Samtemdo8 said:
mduncan50 said:
I love Superman. I am just sad he gets completely overshadowed by Batman which is just wrong because Supes is the face of DC.

Heck I bet Marvel fans hate it when Spiderman gets all the spotlight.

And like I said before I have seen worse portrayals of Superman then this. And no its not just At Earth's End. Look at this panal from Act of God and is also an example of a badly portrayed Wonder Woman:

https://youtu.be/lSrO1puobWQ?t=425
Umm...no, I love it when Spiderman get the Spotlight. This Spiderman deserve it in the movie. All the characters deserve a spotlight.
Also I believe in my opinion this is the best incarnation of Spiderman I ever saw in a movie.
Because lets face it, Peter Parker is a teenager. A teenager who doesn't actually saw or experienced any kind of real danger for his life. That why we see him so playful and yes, smartass like in the comics we know.
Plus Ironman knows that Peter is still a young man who doesn't know his limits, that why he told him at some point to stop fighting at some point. Because Tony didn't wanted to see this kid get hurt.

This is what I was talking about that this is not about just a character, but the interaction of all heroes between them.
As I said in a Thread, One-Punch Man wouldn't be a great comic/manga/whatever if the other characters as well wasn't trying to make his adventures more interesting.
The same goes with Civil War movie: This is a movie about Captain America. But being a Captain America movie doesn't mean the other charatcers shouldn't be more interesting than him.

What I am trying to say Civil War is Excellent.
If he didn't want the kid to get hurt, why recruit him in the first place? I mean, Tony's entire reason for siding with the Accords is because some woman lost her son in a battle that resulted from Tony's hubris. Yet here he is recruiting an impressionable teenager to fight some of the most dangerous men and women on the planet. Good thing SPider-Man has yet another movie coming out other wise Tony would be getting a visit from a certain May Parker.
First of, none was fighting to kill. I am very sure if Scarlet Witch and Vision was free to kill anybody, I think you would see dead bodies lying around...
Second Tony Stark knew Spiderman had experience with other heroic deeds by helping people around his city. Not something extremly dangerous, like fighting a super villain, but his first baby steps.
Third, Tony told him to keep his distant and shoot his web, NOT to engage. Spiderman being a teenager, didn't listen him at all.
Finally, Tony didn't had other option to find other heroes to help him.
Yes, in the comics I am veru sure Tony could very easily find other heroes to help him. But this is a Cinematic Universe. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember another kind of hero laying around to help Tony. Yes, his Super mutated Girlfriend is one, but Tony have his personal issue so that why he didn't asked her for her help.
However I will tell this: Maybe he could ask help from Nick Fury, but I don't remember what happened with him.
1) Injuries and death can still occur in fights were the combatants aren't aiming to kill. Hell, Rhodey ends up crippled at the airport fight. Imagine if that had been Peter instead? Let's not forget that at least two of these fighters (Scarlet Witch and Winter Soldier) are not mentally sound and could end up doing something more lethal in the heat of battle.

2)I seriously doubt any experience Peter has compares to the other Avengers who have fought terrorists, alien invaders and sentient killer robots.

3) "Tony told him to keep his distant and shoot his web, NOT to engage. Spiderman being a teenager, didn't listen him at all." Another reason why recruiting a teenager was a stupid idea. That Stark didn't foresee this idiocy is further damning on his part.

4) Between himself, War Machine and Vision he had more than enough fire power to deal with Steve's team. He didn't need to recruit a guy who isn't even old enough to drink.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are not part of the DC Cinematic Universe.
I am very glad to hear that.
But then Dark Knight Rises is part of DC Cinematic Universe?
Nope. The Nolan Trilogy (Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises) is completely separate from the DC Cinematic Universe.
YES!!! I love that.
Then maybe there is hope to see a Nightwing/Robin Batman movie base the Nolan Universe.
Big Dream but not impossible.
Eh, I doubt that highly. The film makers were very adamant that Rises would be the last entry in the Nolan Trilogy.
Then I can say I respect that. I am sorry, but I am really bad following the news about the production/development of a movie.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Samtemdo8 said:
mduncan50 said:
I love Superman. I am just sad he gets completely overshadowed by Batman which is just wrong because Supes is the face of DC.

And like I said before I have seen worse portrayals of Superman then this. And no its not just At Earth's End. Look at this panal from Act of God and is also an example of a badly portrayed Wonder Woman:

Umm...no, I love it when Spiderman get the Spotlight. This Spiderman deserve it in the movie. All the characters deserve a spotlight.
Also I believe in my opinion this is the best incarnation of Spiderman I ever saw in a movie.
Because lets face it, Peter Parker is a teenager. A teenager who doesn't actually saw or experienced any kind of real danger for his life. That why we see him so playful and yes, smartass like in the comics we know.
Plus Ironman knows that Peter is still a young man who doesn't know his limits, that why he told him at some point to stop fighting at some point. Because Tony didn't wanted to see this kid get hurt.

This is what I was talking about that this is not about just a character, but the interaction of all heroes between them.
As I said in a Thread, One-Punch Man wouldn't be a great comic/manga/whatever if the other characters as well wasn't trying to make his adventures more interesting.
The same goes with Civil War movie: This is a movie about Captain America. But being a Captain America movie doesn't mean the other charatcers shouldn't be more interesting than him.

If he didn't want the kid to get hurt, why recruit him in the first place? I mean, Tony's entire reason for siding with the Accords is because some woman lost her son in a battle that resulted from Tony's hubris. Yet here he is recruiting an impressionable teenager to fight some of the most dangerous men and women on the planet. Good thing SPider-Man has yet another movie coming out other wise Tony would be getting a visit from a certain May Parker.
First of, none was fighting to kill. I am very sure if Scarlet Witch and Vision was free to kill anybody, I think you would see dead bodies lying around...
Second Tony Stark knew Spiderman had experience with other heroic deeds by helping people around his city. Not something extremly dangerous, like fighting a super villain, but his first baby steps.
Third, Tony told him to keep his distant and shoot his web, NOT to engage. Spiderman being a teenager, didn't listen him at all.
Yes, in the comics I am veru sure Tony could very easily find other heroes to help him. But this is a Cinematic Universe. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember another kind of hero laying around to help Tony. Yes, his Super mutated Girlfriend is one, but Tony have his personal issue so that why he didn't asked her for her help.
However I will tell this: Maybe he could ask help from Nick Fury, but I don't remember what happened with him.
1) Injuries and death can still occur in fights were the combatants aren't aiming to kill. Hell, Rhodey ends up crippled at the airport fight. Imagine if that had been Peter instead? Let's not forget that at least two of these fighters (Scarlet Witch and Winter Soldier) are not mentally sound and could end up doing something more lethal in the heat of battle.

2)I seriously doubt any experience Peter has compares to the other Avengers who have fought terrorists, alien invaders and sentient killer robots.

3) "Tony told him to keep his distant and shoot his web, NOT to engage. Spiderman being a teenager, didn't listen him at all." Another reason why recruiting a teenager was a stupid idea. That Stark didn't foresee this idiocy is further damning on his part.

4) Between himself, War Machine and Vision he had more than enough fire power to deal with Steve's team. He didn't need to recruit a guy who isn't even old enough to drink.
Hehe, I love this debate. Danganronpa!!! *music start playing. Truth Swords ready to slide*

1) Tony Stark knew the potentials Spiderman have as a intividual hero. He knew about his super strength, his web, his spider instict. Tony doesn't just found a hero just for the heck of it to be expendable. Tony knew he will be alright.

2) My point was Spiderman wasn't clueless as a hero. He saved many peoples in many dangerous situations. Yes, there are many other heroes who saved, well, Humanity from aliens, robots, etc., but this doesn't mean Spiderman is a pussover. Spiderman after all is very smart as well, which use it to his advantange.

3) Now here I will agree with you. I think it would be neccessery at least a scene which Tony yell to Peter to not engage the other heroes because is dangerous. And then maybe showed Tony just give up because....well, he is Tony.

4) Well, this is not true in the end, because we saw Scarlet Witch b*tch slap Vision and Captain American being a Superhuman be able to compite with Iroman himself, so the fear of Tony not having enough allies was correct.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Agent_Z said:
SweetShark said:
Samtemdo8 said:
mduncan50 said:

Hehe, I love this debate. Danganronpa!!! *music start playing. Truth Swords ready to slide*

1) Tony Stark knew the potentials Spiderman have as a intividual hero. He knew about his super strength, his web, his spider instict. Tony doesn't just found a hero just for the heck of it to be expendable. Tony knew he will be alright.

2) My point was Spiderman wasn't clueless as a hero. He saved many peoples in many dangerous situations. Yes, there are many other heroes who saved, well, Humanity from aliens, robots, etc., but this doesn't mean Spiderman is a pussover. Spiderman after all is very smart as well, which use it to his advantange.

3) Now here I will agree with you. I think it would be neccessery at least a scene which Tony yell to Peter to not engage the other heroes because is dangerous. And then maybe showed Tony just give up because....well, he is Tony.

4) Well, this is not true in the end, because we saw Scarlet Witch b*tch slap Vision and Captain American being a Superhuman be able to compite with Iroman himself, so the fear of Tony not having enough allies was correct.
1) Unless Tony has a fourth wall breaking super power that allowed him to know there was an upcoming Spider-Man movie, then no, he couldn't have known that Peter would be all right. Rhodey sure as hell was not at the end.

2) We don't know what this SPider-Man has faced, if he's battled any major villains. No matter how much power he has, he is still a TEENAGER. The only reason the plot armor didn't fail him like it did Rhodey is because of the upcoming Spider-Man movie. Without that, Tony would have been getting a speech similar to Alfre Woodard's character from May Parker. Peter survives through dumb luck, nothing more.

4) And how would bringing a teenager into this situation help? What would have happened if Wanda lost control of her powers at an inopportune time and crippled or killed Peter.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kyrian007 said:
I agree with the post's title. Maybe not with Samtemdo8's rant in general, but the title yes. It is kind of hard to be a DC fan... considering that their version of the shared movie universe absolutely blows.

The nearly unwatchable shaky-cam mess that was Man of Steel, they did tone that stupid camera gimmick down for BvS. But they didn't eliminate the stupid shaky-cam, and they made enough other mistakes that BvS wound up even worse than MoS which again I found nearly unwatchable.

Oh and by the way. The overuse of shaky-cam is annoying me with the Russo brothers as well. Winter Soldier and Civil War both destroyed what should have been amazing action sequences with ham-handed shaky-cam. I'm already wishing they get the boot for Infinity Wars. Or at least let them be script supervisors, but keep their ham-fists off the Paul Greengrass button.

And even prior to the shared universe that they started with the awful MoS, DC has disappointed way more often than not. They did have 2 good Batman iterations, no question. And one good iteration of Superman, so long ago it really barely counts. But that's BATMAN and SUPERMAN. The two most iconic superheroes ever created. People are ALWAYS going to like stories about them, some people even defend MoS and BvS. But what Marvel has done, that it's a real shame that DC apparently CAN'T do, is make any other characters into worthwile movies.

Mostly, Green Lantern. The lesson WB learned from the Green Lantern movie seems to be "WOW, people hate this guy. Let's just leave him out of the new DC MoS verse entirely." And that was WRONG. Fans don't HATE the character Green Lantern (any iteration, except for the racists bashing John Stewart,) they HATE that WB made a really shitty movie out of what could and should have easily been a slam dunk of a great comic book movie.

But also, Jonah Hex. The one that hurts me the most, because It's my favorite comic. Success should have been easy. Joe R. Lansdale writes, Don Coscarelli directs... boom, success. Why, Coscarelli already directed a short story Lansdale wrote, Lansdale wrote issues of Jonah Hex (and also great episodes of the 90's Batman cartoons.) And with Lansdale writing and Jonah Hex being dark anyway, WB would have gotten the super grimdark movie that obviously appeals to them so freaking much.
Green Lantern isn't being left out of the DCEU. He's just not appearing in Justice League. The Green Lantern movie will be an ensemble piece revolving around members of the Green Lantern Corps which imo, is a better direction than just having one character dominate the franchise at the expense of others.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
As someone currently sitting in a theater, waiting for Civil War to start... Maybe this isn't the thread to be in if you want to dance this close to spoilers.

wallstaples

Feb 17, 2016
DC is an excellent animation and comic company that sometimes makes bad movies to pay the bills, and that's okay with me.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
SweetShark said:
Christian Neihart said:
DC Comics: We have no respect for our Heroes and our fans. Except for Batman.
Not true...
Yes, the Batman in BvS was one of the good things I really liked, but I hope to see in the future equal respect for the other Heroes as well.
Plus I want to see how good is Will Smith as Deadshot. He look so cool. There is still hope.
Will Smith is a fucking terrible choice for Deadshot. There is no hope. No hope.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Yes, please keep any Civil War discussion in spoilers please. I'm not going to be able to see it until tomorrow evening and it makes it really hard to read the thread if I need to skip over large numbers of posts. Thank you. :)

OT: I've seen both MoS and BvS and would rate both of them somewhere in the range of 6-7 out of 10. They are okay movies, but they both have some missteps, BvS particularly. Missteps can be overlooked in the case where a movie is just fun or enjoyable as well. This is something the first Iron Man managed, as I felt the ending was rather weak but everything else they did in the film was pure gold to me, so I was able to overlook the weak ending.

BvS, however, while having some very strong elements that could have led up to a fantastic film failed to incorporate things into a coherent whole. Too much foreshadowing of things to come in future films rather than dealing with the events and characters of the current film. Poor execution and development of subplots and character motivation. And probably the biggest problem I had with the film was the entirely pointless reason for the fight between Superman and Batman.

Lex has Martha Kent kidnapped and held hostage somewhere, and she'll be killed in an hour (if I remember correctly) unless Superman kills Batman and brings his head to Lex. Yet the movie established that Superman could detect when Lois was in any danger and come to her aid in seconds. It was previously established that he can hear cries for help from the stratosphere. You mean to tell me he could not find his mom in a matter of minutes, disable the men holding her in seconds, and having rescued her go back for Luthor?

Even if he couldn't do that, why not try actually talking to the obviously prepared Batman from the safety of the air rather than land and walk towards him in a menacing fashion? Just a few words to the effect of, "Lex Luthor is holding my mother hostage. I need your help to save her," would have done most of the humanizing of him that Batman needed to see and would have been a much more believable thing for Superman to do.

No, they just wanted to rip off the biggest portions of The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman, so logic and characterization goes out the window.

As a whole, the movie just felt lazily written. There were good moments. Affleck did a great job as Batman, Eisenberg had some moments of genius as Lex (though he totally annoyed me the rest of the time), and they really did touch on some great themes. They just didn't follow up on them to the end, making them fall flat or just feel shoehorned in. I wanted these films to be great, as I have no particular loyalty to DC or Marvel and find the fanboy wars to be some of the dumbest things possible, but it's just fact that Marvel is doing a better job with their Cinematic Universe than DC at this time.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
ecoho said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The thing I hate about most regarding Batman v Superman is that how much of a self fufilling prophecy this ended up becoming.

What could have been simply a Man of Steel 2 became this. It started with just bringing in Batman for damage control after the "failure" of Man of Steel. Because sadly and no one wants to admit it, no one likes Superman. If you end up having Superman doing exactly what you expect Superman to do, everyone will complain that he is too OP and too one dimensional to be an interesting character.

Then they showed Wonder Woman and called the movie Dawn of Justice and that title got mocked aswell.

Then Jesse Eisenberg was casted as Lex Luthor and everyone wanted Bryan fuckin Cranston as Lex jsut because he's bald in Breaking Bad :p

Then one trailer revealed Doomsday which honestly his design does not look as terrible as the earlier concept designs they were going with:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/dea14715627a4c2afc37766c32996806/tumblr_o52bswMSj91rov369o6_1280.jpg

Then the movie comes out and people are treating it as a disaster of Mengele proportions. Even people on youtube who never reviews movies before suddenly reviews it. Appearently the prospect of a Batman and Superman movie was that big.

Honestly I feel none of this would have happened if no one said anything bad about Man of Steel. If no one criticized Man of Steel we would have had a Man of Steel 2 and a stand alone Batman movie.

And now Civil War came out and of course people are saying this is how BvS should have been.

And now I dread the possibility of DC changing the tone and direction of the movies because of that rumor of Snyder and WB having disputes and the directors for DC movies like Flash and Aquaman has left.

No just no keep the tone the way it is other wise if it ends up being exactly like the MCU it will be increadibly redundant I mean there is already a Superhero bubble so why should DC end up looking more like the MCU in the exact tone and look?

I just want my Zack Snyder DC movies because he has talent he knows how to make Comic Boook movies he proclaims he grew up reading comic books and I believe him and he makes action that is 10x better then any movie I have seen in theaters. And he is NOT MICHAEL BAY!!

Its so fuckin unfair that things I really want to see happen is being taken away from me. I want that Justice League movie with Zack Snyder's style and sadly the movie community is against it :(
its very simple they do great TV shows with good actors who fit the characters, and then don't use them for their movies......and they wonder why they keep getting bad reviews.
I hate the Supergirl TV show. I just find it corny and cliche.
I was talking more they had a perfect lex and a good clark in smallville used nether, have a great flash have flat out said they wont use that actor in any movies they may do with the character, and of corse they wont use the guy from arrow if they make a green arrow movie. see things like that make me think DC is ran by morons, as to super girl, don't care one way or another on super girl never really liked the character.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Charcharo said:
mduncan50 said:
Charcharo said:
This is quite aggressive on the OP. I mean... remember, we are on a gaming site.

What are video games if not generally shitty art (compared to literature, which also makes cinema look bad in comparison)?

The fact that we are here already means all of us have bad taste I guess...
Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read today. Congrats.
Well... you had a nice day.

Any reason why it is dumb?
Is it an agressive post? Yes it is, not that I think that is bad, but still... the person is venting. He dont need that.

Are video games an inferior medium (ATM)? Yes, they are. Anyone claiming otherwise is ... not really a gamer IMHO.

Is my own comment a bit jaded (where I think your issues is coming from)? Yes, but hey, such is the internet. :(
I honestly don't see why video games would be considered shitty art. Literature can give you a story. Cinema adds visuals to that story. Video games add viewer interaction and decision making. Literature is simply a part of what makes up video games. If someone has only only played games that are shitty art, then that is their fault for playing shitty video games.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
[snip]
Honestly I feel none of this would have happened if no one said anything bad about Man of Steel.

[snip]

Its so fuckin unfair that things I really want to see happen is being taken away from me. I want that Justice League movie with Zack Snyder's style and sadly the movie community is against it :(
Do you want moviegate? Because this is how you get moviegate.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I'm a Marvel and DC fan and on the Marvel side I am actually tired of nearly every X-Man movie being focused on Wolverine.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Charcharo said:
mduncan50 said:
Charcharo said:
This is quite aggressive on the OP. I mean... remember, we are on a gaming site.

What are video games if not generally shitty art (compared to literature, which also makes cinema look bad in comparison)?

Is it an agressive post? Yes it is, not that I think that is bad, but still... the person is venting. He dont need that.

Are video games an inferior medium (ATM)? Yes, they are. Anyone claiming otherwise is ... not really a gamer IMHO.

Is my own comment a bit jaded (where I think your issues is coming from)? Yes, but hey, such is the internet. :(
Really. You follow up 'video games are inherently inferior art' with a 'no true gamer' statement. I'm not even sure how to respond to that, other then with a sad sigh.

Kenbo Slice said:
SweetShark said:
Christian Neihart said:
Not true...
Yes, the Batman in BvS was one of the good things I really liked, but I hope to see in the future equal respect for the other Heroes as well.
Plus I want to see how good is Will Smith as Deadshot. He look so cool. There is still hope.

Will Smith is a fucking terrible choice for Deadshot. There is no hope. No hope.
While it's true that trailers can lie, from what I've seen, Deadshot isn't in this movie. Will Smith is, starring as Will Smith. Which is pretty bad.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Charcharo said:
mduncan50 said:
Charcharo said:

Really. You follow up 'video games are inherently inferior art' with a 'no true gamer' statement. I'm not even sure how to respond to that, other then with a sad sigh.

Kenbo Slice said:
SweetShark said:
Christian Neihart said:
Not true...

While it's true that trailers can lie, from what I've seen, Deadshot isn't in this movie. Will Smith is, starring as Will Smith. Which is pretty bad.
Sums up my feelings. I don't see Deadshot, I see Will Smith.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
I think it's great casting.
Deadshot: A man who does things people don't like and cares for his childern.
Will Smith: A man who does things people don't like and cares for his children.

YMMV on each description but I see a parallel.

EDIT: snipped some extra text.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Charcharo said:
AccursedTheory said:
Charcharo said:
mduncan50 said:
Charcharo said:

Kenbo Slice said:
SweetShark said:
Christian Neihart said:
Not true...

Is this so hard...

I NEVER said they are !inherently inferior! Do not put words in my mouth please. It is dishonest and insulting.

We are however 100 years too early to claim anything on the level of what the other art forms have ever achieved. Our finest is middling. It is that simple.

Want to see it easily? Compare the Witcher 3, IMHO the second best game ever made to its original work (so we have remediation, easier to compare) - the Witcher books.
Considering everything I've read on comparing the books with the games puts them in the same ball park of quality (At least), story wise, plus the games are interactive, that's a pretty poor example for 'video games are worse then books.'