It's Time To Forgive George Lucas

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
I already forgave him when his world was used to make KotOR, and have passed off any foolishness since, as that game was great, and now that meterial is being used to make a MMO that hopefully won't completely suck, especially considering it's being made by the same people who gave life to the KotOR series (which was too short, I still wanna see KotOR 3).

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
*clapclap* Right again, Bob! Yeah, he made three mediocre movies (I say three because I liked Indiana Jones 4) but is that really enough reason to blame the guy for everything wrong in existense? He seems like a really good guy, and he has done so much good. Can we move on now?

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
I always blamed the advancement in technolgy for the flunk of the newest Star Wars films.
wasn't the old lightsaber so much cooler? it all looked otherworldy, and paintings for backgrounds? that was spectacular. Anyway, Lucas is just milking the franchise like he is Jones, I'm definately not pating to watch anymore so I don't really care.

Aditional: wasn't Maul cool, maybe they were aiming at a good Fett character who barely spoke but it worked, and Qui Gon (however the hell you spell it) was a propper Jedi... both good characters, both killed in the first one. we should have just stopped watching then.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Scde2 said:
I realize he almost ran out of money for TESB, but the Holiday Special didn't make him any money. It was broadcasted only once, viewers stopped watching by the thousands, and it was never released later on video. If anything it might have had a minor impact on the TESB box office. And for being noncanon, Lucas sure didn't mind taking stuff out of it. Like the wookie homeworld (Kashyykk?) and Boba Fett, both appearing for the first time (A good thing from a nightmare).
He didn't have any way of knowing it would have bombed, he just accepted the money from a T.V show company, let them use the characters and that was that. Boba Fett and Kashyykk were already thought up of before the T.V show, I think Boba was going to be in the original star wars film too.
If he owned the rights why would he let (CBS?) mutilate his creation, after all, he did write for the show. I am probably sure that he knew that it sucked before it was regurgitated before the public. And sadly Lucas has a obsession with star wars and animation that did not end with the holiday special, ever hear about the TV series Droids and Ewoks?

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
slowpoke999 said:
KillerMidget said:
slowpoke999 said:
C.S. Lewis, in describing his gradual personal transition from staunch atheist to Christian philosopher (and author of the Narnia books) described his period of unbelief as a state of being "angry with God for not existing."
Ow Ow Ow, I don't know who that guy is but that comment made my brain owie, I'll have to read Page 2 some other time
I think the theory there is that you can't be angry with God and not believe in Him at the same time. Or is it just the strangeness of the sentence that vortexed your brain?

OT: Sure I'll forgive the little scamp! But only if I get to tug on his magic beard for luck.
The amount of stupidity from his comment hurt my brain, if he was angry with God, he failed at being an Athiest
That's kinda the point. Also you really need to broaden your horizons if you don't know who C.S Lewis is. Him and tolkein we're pretty big deals in the literary world.

Octopusesgarden

Feb 15, 2010
Nice work on mentioning redletter medias brilliant review of phantom menace.For any of you who loved it,then he also recently released an avatar review (Which was also excellent) and is currently doing a clone wars review.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I've never hated George Lucas. Yes, I despise his concept of a movie never being finished; it tempts one to keep polishing and polishing until the sheen's worn off. I didn't care for the Prequels, either, especially the first one. So I pretty much just walked away from the franchise, I don't feel the need to stick to something I don't like and rage endlessly about it. It's just seems so excessive to spend this kind of emotional energy on a movie series.

humantis

Apr 6, 2009
George Lucas's biggest mistake with his newer trilogy and movies was his inability to surround himself with people who questioned and challenged his stupid ideas. This is very obvious in behind the scenes footage where Lucas would propose an idea which his employees visibly were concerned and yet made no objection.

Secondly altering classics and creating crappy sequels is going to upset fans and leave Lucas wide open for criticism.

Moviebob I agreed with you on some parts, but to tell us Lucas owes his fans nothing is dead wrong. His fans are why Star Wars still exists today. Buying his merchandise loyally through out the decades is what funded his projects. They have a right to expect a well created Trilogy when they're the ones who helped made it possible. We need his work, he needs our support.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Scde2 said:
Sovvolf said:
Scde2 said:
I realize he almost ran out of money for TESB, but the Holiday Special didn't make him any money. It was broadcasted only once, viewers stopped watching by the thousands, and it was never released later on video. If anything it might have had a minor impact on the TESB box office. And for being noncanon, Lucas sure didn't mind taking stuff out of it. Like the wookie homeworld (Kashyykk?) and Boba Fett, both appearing for the first time (A good thing from a nightmare).
He didn't have any way of knowing it would have bombed, he just accepted the money from a T.V show company, let them use the characters and that was that. Boba Fett and Kashyykk were already thought up of before the T.V show, I think Boba was going to be in the original star wars film too.
If he owned the rights why would he let (CBS?) mutilate his creation, after all, he did write for the show. I am probably sure that he knew that it sucked before it was regurgitated before the public. And sadly Lucas has a obsession with star wars and animation that did not end with the holiday special, ever hear about the TV series Droids and Ewoks?
Because they paid for the rights to use his characters and world in that show. Most likely through a contractual agreement. As said before, he was young and inexperienced along with needing the money to help fund his sequel. He didn't write much of it (he's not even credited as writer) and had very little involvement. Though it's quite likely he knew it was going to be shit before it was shown. I haven't seen but I've heard of the Droids and Ewoks series. Caravan of Courage is one of George Lucas's shitty spin offs of Starwars. I can't argue for Lucas on this one though... he had full creative control and it was still bad, not Holiday Special bad but still pretty bad.

koriantor

Nov 9, 2009
There's nothing for me to forgive. All 6 episodes were quite fine. (Except for Ep. 2's awful romantic scenes. But even then, that's the only bad part)

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I agree with everything you stated, Moviebob, except that I think Episodes Two and Three are not terrible. Episode Two is mediocre, sure, but not God awful. Episode Three, on the other hand, is only slightly worse than Episode Six.

And, while we're talking about the prequels, let's not forget the awesome Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars mini-series.

Sep 4, 2009
"...Romantic sand talk, redundant link to Red Letter Media's "Phantom Menace review, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc."

Red Letter Media's Phantom Menace review isn't nearly widely enough known. It is the lemonade that has been made out of a trilogy of lemons.

Don't call that delicious lemonade redundant.

Clueless Hero

Oct 5, 2009
I don't flat-out hate the prequels, it just seems...I'll see if I can find the right words. It just seems that when I sit down to watch them, I'm watching a mediocre sci-fi film with a lot of flair, not something I would associate with Lucas; like his "touch" just isn't there, if that makes sense. Also the pacing of the story has always felt "off" for some reason, like the parts they're rushing should be slowed down, and vice versa.

Anyway, I don't feel I'm making much sense, so I'll leave it at that. Hope you could make something out of it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MovieBob, have you ever been to TheForce.Net? Probably one of the most devoted fan sites out there, and as much as you rail on the haters here, they are actually quite a minority compared to the bulk of the site.

But anyway, this article seems to be a little confusing. First, you say you are with the more intensively adamant group, then you talk about how those same people should stop bitching.

This is the bloody internet! People aren't supposed to agree on anything!

And I'll say this: I enjoyed the prequels, but their casting was terrible. I love the Clone Wars TV show, and I love the Special edition.

So, if I enjoy any of these things, does that target me as an ignorant person who isn't a 'hardcore' fan? Or am I just part of the consumer mass? Where exactly does this put me at?

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Scde2 said:
Because they paid for the rights to use his characters and world in that show. Most likely through a contractual agreement. As said before, he was young and inexperienced along with needing the money to help fund his sequel. He didn't write much of it (he's not even credited as writer) and had very little involvement. Though it's quite likely he knew it was going to be shit before it was shown. I haven't seen but I've heard of the Droids and Ewoks series. Caravan of Courage is one of George Lucas's shitty spin offs of Starwars. I can't argue for Lucas on this one though... he had full creative control and it was still bad, not Holiday Special bad but still pretty bad.
While he did need the money, he could have had a more active role so it would not suck as bad as it did. Even though I doubt that being young and inexperienced had little to do with the outcome of the holiday special as numerous TV made shows he did/written for/authorized were fucking piles of shit. One you already mentioned, Caravan of Courage, then its sequel, The Battle for Endor, and movies compiled from Droids and Ewoks, The Great Heep, The Haunted Village, The Pirates and the Prince, Treasure of the Hidden Planet... At least they were not even close to the holiday special.

Tensen01

Jan 13, 2009
No... It's not time:

http://io9.com/5496171/george-lucas-wants-to-make-jedi-babies-tv-series

Sorry if someone has already posted this.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
As much as I do not enjoy the new movies, and where Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars are ridiculously better than the CG wrecks that follow, I don't begrudge Lucas for not making things that I like. I just don't like them.

I would be fine with the man, if he would just give me the Blu-Ray copies of the original trilogy, un-edited (the Han/Jabba edit is particularly ugly, no matter what issue you take with the retcon aspect of things), which I know he showers in, and swims in, and sleeps in, and builds his private outhouse out of, merely to be mean to his countless fans that love work which he despises.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Echolocating said:
The only thing I can't stand are people who claim that the prequels weren't a disaster.
So...basically what you're saying is that anyone who actually enjoyed them are idiots?

Welp, to quote Yahtzee, "Call me retard McSpackypants" because I thought they were a lot of fun. I could care less if they fit into the "canon" of the Star Wars universe, I just took them for what they were.

Plus, anyone who disliked the Podracer scene needs to be bitchslapped imo.