Japanese Nier Hero was "Too Girly" for Americans

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Andy Chalk said:
"A lot of people were arguing for making only the macho old guy version for cost reasons, and we were saying, 'But if we don't make a girly version we'll lose heart and it'll take even longer'
Is it just me, or is that chain of reasoning absolutely hilarious? Because I'm pretty sure it's hilarious - they're telling us that not making yet another massively over-effeminate pansy, just like they do in all their other games, would be so disheartening to the design team that it would make them miss their deadlines.

Oh Japan, your obsession with men that are indistinguishable from women will never cease to amuse and befuddle me.
I was thinking, I want a guy like Kharn to be in one of these games. Just to watch him go completely fucking insane with rage and cut everything up with gorechild.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Cod of War said:
CAPCOM & KONAMI always had the right idea. REGULAR PEOPLE ARE AWESOME.
Chris Redfield? no, He's more buff than a human can achieve.
MegaMan? Disqualified for being a robot.
Lance and Bill? They are too gears of war'ich... but then again they were the first to do it

I can't find anything for Kona... Wait RAIDEN!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"'But if we don't make a girly version we'll lose heart and it'll take even longer'"

Seriously, developers? If you can't get your way you lose your tender, emo, heart? :'(
I guess they never made a videogame before, as cutting content, rewriting the entire plot and designing half the content different in the end are absolutely certain evils that plague EVERY developer EVER.

Unless you're making Duke Nukem Forever!!!
Maybe that team can hire these guys and protect their feelings till the end of retirement.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
I think this is a trend mostly followed by Square Enix. Care to name another developers/publishers who have effeminate & angsty heroes.

Why the angst though? Are Japanese males too happy and need something depressing in their lives?
Why not have a happy character to whom terrible things happen yet he keeps a positive attitude?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Errrg. I don't know if this says more about the Japanese or us westerners. They're fixated on scrawny androgynous boys and apparently we can't handle a any main character that doesn't come with biceps the size of watermelons.

Seriously, is there no middle ground to be explored here?

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Okay, all they had to do was change the hairstyle of the guy and I wouldn't have had a problem with the more masculine look. But C'MON, you're the same company that runs off Final Fantasy, the biggest group that started out with the pretty boy carrying the big weapons!!

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
There is. Once again, Chris Redfield from RE 5 is better than that monstrous slab of meat known as Marcus Fenix. Hell the cast of Call Of Duty seem normal too. Kratos gets a pass because the Greek have always idolized those kind of manly man bodies.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
I wouldn't have minded it, the fact that most games from north america are just extremely buff men is what turns me off most games, the girly-ness is for me a strange change of pace

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Zhukov said:
Errrg. I don't know if this says more about the Japanese or us westerners. They're fixated on scrawny androgynous boys and apparently we can't handle a any main character that doesn't come with biceps the size of watermelons.

Seriously, is there no middle ground to be explored here?
Who said anything about biceps the size of watermelons? All I want is a character to NOT dress in drag unless it is, in fact, a woman.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
Does anybody except Square Enix even have effeminate characters? The company seems to be full of blubbering children now a days.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
The Japanese version of the character reminds me of Raiden, he seriously looks like a young version of Raiden. The American version.. is gross, who wants to play as an old guy? Oh wait, Snake, but technically hes not really as old as he looks, fox dye, so we'll let that one slide. I'd like a game where you don't play as either of them, something spontaneous and new, like a Praying Mantis!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
bulbasaur765 said:
DividedUnity said:
Better yet why not make the girly character an actual girl instead of misleading people?
Because the main demographic is males.
The main demographic for tomb raider was males too. I dont think men are too concerned playing as a girl but I think if they saw the girly nier man and went man that girl has a nice ass then found out it was a man i think theyd be pretty f'ed off

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
they're both a bit on the extreme.

can't we have a middle ground, like Caim from Drakengard.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
Raiden was actually a decent, well written character and back in the day would have been played by Leonardo DiCaprio in a movie cause he has a thing for those kind of romantic hero roles.

Don't diss Raiden ever! EVERYONE wanted to play as him in MGS4

The guy from Nier... booorrrinng!!

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
The_General said:
Isn't the hero in EVERY JRPG too girly for the hamburger munchers?
Harsh! We like snake. He isn't a Super buff like Nier, and not a girly man like all the jrpg. He's middle of the road. Isn't it more interesting when a everyday man has to face unsurmountable odds. A girly man has no change, and a Buff testosterone macho guy seem like a no brainer that he can do it. Those lessen the impact of the narrative.

On a personal note: don't be a racist jerk (hamburger Munchers). You don't see us laughing because (and if) you came from Danemark and the biggest stretch of land you got is a iceberg inhabitable on the other side of the planet.