Jimquisition: Accountability

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
''Jimquisition plus''...
Where do i sign my soul away for this fantastic service, oh lord Jim!?

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
holy shit, I actually agree with him on this part.

First: if console games are about picking up and playing, why is there so many steps? Patching, installing, accounts, subscriptions etc. It's turning into PC gaming, and I expect at some point that the publishers will force entering serial codes at some point.

Second: DRM, yes, treating us like criminals is not the best way to go about business
They already are. With your game you receive a code you need to enter in order to play online and access services such DLC, patches or service updates.

I am more worried about the day consoles are powerful enough to have Digital Distribution.
Just imagine it:
Your Xbox has a Microsoft Store, where you can buy your games, you can't buy them from anywhere else. All games for the Xbox Galaxies can be obtained EXCLUSIVELY through DD and nowhere else, but their store. And Microsoft can initiate whatever policies they want and do whatever they want with your account, and it's fair game - because of the EULA.
And this is the same for Sony with the Playstore and Nintendo with the N-Kingdom.

Just so people know - I am for going full time Digital Distribution and leaving retailers and boxed copies in the dust, but without competition ( and they can do it in their case ) it's not a good thing.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
WaaghPowa said:
holy shit, I actually agree with him on this part.

First: if console games are about picking up and playing, why is there so many steps? Patching, installing, accounts, subscriptions etc. It's turning into PC gaming, and I expect at some point that the publishers will force entering serial codes at some point.

Second: DRM, yes, treating us like criminals is not the best way to go about business
My step dad bought Dirt 3 for xbox 360 used. It came with a code (that didnt work) to unlock half the cars and to unlock multiplayer and several tracks. There are already codes on consoles.
Every time the games starts is asks to enter the code or buy one and it takes like 10 secs to hit the buy later button. This on a game my step dad bought legally. (He didn't know about project ten dollar).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Traun said:
bootz said:
I was more referring to the way PC games are done, you buy it, it's yours, too bad.

But yes, the online passes exist and are rather tedious. It's silly that you can't just play the game online anymore and require things such as subscriptions and online passes.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't much like Jim. Not for his obvious show of arrogance - I mostly don't mind that - but there's just something about him...

Well, anyway, that said, this was a good episode which I totally agree with. I probably have even more stupid accounts than I can think of and it's so damn annoying. That's where the hotmail account comes in handy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm sick of getting something on Steam and having to log in somewhere else as well to play. Want to play C&C4? Better get your EA login ready. Red Faction Guerrilla? Get that Windows Live ID ready so you can get messages from your Xbox Live friends and Steam friends at the same time while you try to play. God dammit publishers knock it off. All you're doing is making things a bigger pain in the ass for paying customers. Meanwhile, people who pirate your game don't have to deal with any of that shit. This is what we get for being an honest customer who hands over their hard earned cash? How about this: If you put your game on Steam, take out your own bullshit logins and just use Steam DRM, at least for that version. If you don't like that, don't put your game on Steam at all. Just leave it exclusive to the EA store or the Games for Windows store. After you make just about no money that way, maybe you'll like the first option more.

...Jimquisition Plus?

NightlyNews

Mar 25, 2011
Mouse_Crouse said:
Must say I did not care for this series when it first started. But I have officially become a fan. The production has gotten better and better and I get a good laugh out of his bit.
My only real complaint is when he's on camera the sound quality goes to shit in a sandbag.

Is he using different mics or something. It is just jarring how it goes from clear witty commentary to staticky shit I don't want to listen to.

Edit: Could anyone in the publishers club confirm it's not just the low quality version or something. I'll admit I'm an audiofile with most of my music library in flac, but the static drives me insane when he's on camera.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
This is the first video in which I absolutely agree with Jim... except for the part about other mediums moving toward instant gratification more quickly. In addition to my thousand and one gaming accounts, I also have a good hundred accounts for video streaming services, book clubs and email. Gaming is just leading the pack for complexity, as usual... but it all started with rampant marketing from other consumer services.
We denizens of first-world nations are consumers first and foremost, in the eyes of every corporation that sells to the public (and before you argue that corporations don't have eyes... remember that legally, they're people too... at least since 1819. More's the pity).

**edit**
Also, I'd like to retract the statement I made long, long ago... when I said Jim had nothing new to say. He does have some insight. Bravo, Jim.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
despite the fact that i think jim basically states the obvious i am growing quite fond of the show. It still peaked with the last episode.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
He voices my frustration really well.

And people wonder why there's piracy with the shit he mentioned. I shed no tears for any of the large publishers for being pirated after the way they treat paying customers.

It seems like the more loyal a customer is, the worse they are treated and the more money is shaken from their pockets while DRM and fees and subscriptions hold them upside down.

Oh and get ready those lips, I'm subscribing, Jimmy-Jim-Jim

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Although you make some good points, I feel most of your opinions are extremely dependent of the quality of the games for which we have to "endure" this inconvenience...
Would you still be as mad if instead of the Last Templar or Dead Space 2 multiplayer they were using it for Bioshock or Battlefield 3 multiplayer?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Good one, Jim! It pays to mainly game on consoles with no use of the online services. I can just pick up and play. But this is what publishers want: total control of the consumer.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
I almost forgot to take my Vitamins. Thanks Jim!

I see a common theme in what's wrong with games today... people having to put there personal info in just to play a game... and then that personal info being hacked away by malicious hackers...

How about this... STOP ASKING US TO FUCKING GIVE YOU OUR CONTACT INFORMATION!!! Publishers are retarded (yes Palin, I said retarded).

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good episode with some spot on points there. I can clearly remember being very frustrated to find that in order to play Dragon Age and (especially) Mass Effect 2, I had to sign up for an EA account. Also, Assassins Creed Brotherhood multiplayer. Want this nifty looking character for your multiplayer game? OK then, just sign up for this uplay account. What's that, can't connect to the uplay server? Sorry, no extra characters or uplay achievements for you then.

I'm guessing I won't be able to play Mass Effect 3 until I've severed my own right hand off, shipped it to EA and waited for them to send me an EA-certified Quarian hand attachment that will include the code needed to run the game.

Though nothing has compared to trying to log in to play Spore. An epic struggle if ever there was one, all to play a game that was a steaming pile of excrement anyway.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Did he just quote Hulk Hogan with the prayers and vitamins?

Still, I agree with everyone else here. DRM sucks monkeyfuck.

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
It was a funny episode, and I do intend to purchase Jimquisition Plus to prove my love for the show, as well as receive a fridge magnet. That must be a fantastic fridge magnet if it's $40.

Awesome74

Jul 21, 2010
Hah, I loved that crack at the haters at the end. I completely agree with this stuff. I mean, GFWL actually has you create an account even when you AREN'T USING GFWL. Seriously?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I already took my vitamins, and my lutein, and my saw palmetto, and my Coenzyme Q10, and my Ginkgo Biloba. But thanks anyway.

I'm not really having the problem expressed in this video? Is this only a multiplayer thing? I can't think of any game I play were I have to do anything beyond {turn console on, pick game, play}.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
its about time THEY had to prove their loyalty to us turn about is fair play as they say.