Jimquisition: Creative Freedom, Strings Attached

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you got sick at PAX. I'm still suffering from Dragon*Con AIDS since last Monday (going to the doctor in a few hours actually).

Good episode as always, though this topic seems to be a complete no-brainer. The sad part is that you have to spell this out for some people :/

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I actually know a person that wont play a game as a female. Its very weird. Thing is a game shouldnt be insulted just because its a male character only. In rpgs you can (in most cases) play as male or female. In others the game is based around characters and story like GTA5, its the story they wanted to tell and making one a woman wouldnt work for them. BUT. Due to more and more woman playing games and showing more interest in them, its something that should be taken into account during planning stages. If a woman main character doesnt fit the idea of the game, fine.....its their game, money and choice. But i think it should be a consideration when developing and planning a game.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Freedom of speech kinda includes freedom to criticize by its very nature, doesn't it? Yeah, you can say what you want, but so can everyone else, and that means they can criticize you and/or your work. Saying what you want, but denying other the right to criticize is something of a double standard, really.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
This whole argument is similar to which came first, the chicken or the egg?

In the end, while I still think women have been left out of the spotlight as protagonists and that it's not a bad thing to question why not, I just feel as though it's going to become a redundant question. Sure, there will be the occasional answer of, "Producers made us" but there's gonna be a majority of answers that fall under, "I dunno, just felt right/fitting/reasonable/like what I wanted to do".

Don't force it, don't not do it for the sake of fear either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hades said:
I find the concept of not buying a game for not having your gender playable a bit weird but if that's what makes people happy
I personally liked this line I saw when perusing the God Mode boards on GameFAQs:

My feeling is that if they don't want to invest the effort to include my half of humanity, they apparently don't want my money enough.
Granted, God Mode shouldn't really make money anyway (bad, unfinished, buggy game), but the point seems fair enough.

Granted, she also talks specifically about characters you make yourself, which wouldn't include the Puppeteer argument.

In any event, if the maker feels so strongly about the "why should boys only play boys and girls only play girls" thing, he should try and make a strong protagonist and only allow female avatars. Wonder if he'd still make that stand.

Monxeroth said:
whiteknighting
I think we've thoroughly beaten the term to death now.

Hades said:
No problem, glad you recorded anyway. Best wishes for you recovery.
He doesn't need your wishes, he has the fantasy football gods looking out for him.

Akytalusia said:
if only more people understood that concept that freedom of expression doesn't mean freedom from criticism. it would alleviate a lot of frustration worldwide.
Unfortunately, human beings tend to have a persecution fetish.

Goliath100 said:
To throw a wrench into this...

It's impossible for a playble character (when playable) to have a gender other than the players. The player is part of the playable character, and the physical absolutes that defines the genders are impossible to measure on virtual character. Than logic follows that what the player identify as define the gender of the playable character.
So you feel one cannot act the part of the opposite gender, then, simply because their perceptions may be coloured by their own.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ZiggyE said:
Why should a game be criticised or scrutinised simply because it doesn't have a female protagonist?
I say the same reason a story should be criticized if it's about a man slaying a dragon to save a princess from a tower, or the same reason everyone gets on a game for being about a zombie apocalypse. It's been done so many times it's getting boring and generic, and nine times out of ten it doesn't have anything fresh or new to make it stand out or excuse the generic elements. Usually it's just more of the same dull boring stuff we've had an overload of. If a male character is extremely well written and I just love him (Lee Everett, Niko Belic, John Marstin, Jole, Yosuke, Kanji, Arcade Ganon, Boone) you won't hear a word from me about them being ANOTHER guy character because they're so well written their justify their existence. Most male characters don't.

famousninja

May 27, 2008
I personally think, that like a lot of things that seem to attract outrage in the gaming community, the use of different protagonists is like the use of cutscenes. You can use them well, and you can make them awesome and gel really well - Or they'll stand out as shoehorned in for the sake of reasons.

I don't think that adding a female character to a game constitutes censorship though - Anyone who says that is a few gunmen short of a grassy knoll, and really needs to reevaluate their relationship with women.

Just saying.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
bug_of_war said:

In the end, while I still think women have been left out of the spotlight as protagonists and that it's not a bad thing to question why not, I just feel as though it's going to become a redundant question. Sure, there will be the occasional answer of, "Producers made us" but there's gonna be a majority of answers that fall under, "I dunno, just felt right/fitting/reasonable/like what I wanted to do".

I think, quite honestly, picking a male hero is just the way most men think, and most game development teams are predominately men. They're men; they make games with male heroes. I don't think, for the most part, that there's any malice or agenda there... it's just the common "males are the de facto hero" stereotypes that are so fully ingrained in our minds and culture.

I remember reading some interviews with female Bioware team members who said that, ultimately, they got a bit tired of having to ask the question "but what if the player is female?" and having the men on the team having to actively remember that, yes, MaleShep wasn't the only gender, and male players weren't the only audience.

It's basically innocent ignorance. Unless someone, like myself, asks a developer "well, what about me?" they won't remember or even consider heroes of the less-represented gender.

Personally, though, I'll admit that as a girl gamer I'm disappointed by GTA sticking to men only, especially when Saints Row is letting me be an amazingly awesome female gang lord.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Reyold said:
Freedom of speech kinda includes freedom to criticize by its very nature, doesn't it? Yeah, you can say what you want, but so can everyone else, and that means they can criticize you and/or your work. Saying what you want, but denying other the right to criticize is something of a double standard, really.
It does, but it seems people need to be reminded of it, especially the ones who scream STOP PERSECUTING ME when questioned said speech.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
It's getting pretty damn surreal when people are being 'challenged' for things they didn't do creatively. At least when there is a sniper in a bikini it's something tangible someone actually made. Not to mention the spoken or implied accusations of misogyny.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Why do I almost always have to play as a human, and if not a human, then a huminoid? I feel like there aren't enough games where I can play as a cat or dog. At least call of duty it getting it right.

Seriously, I am a human all day long, why should have to be a human in the games I play?

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
I wonder how many people who are defending game developers like Hideo Kojima and saying, "It's their game! They can do what they want! They shouldn't have to change it! If you don't like it, don't play it!" also pitched a fit and demanded BioWare change the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Goliath100 said:
To throw a wrench into this...

It's impossible for a playble character (when playable) to have a gender other than the players. The player is part of the playable character, and the physical absolutes that defines the genders are impossible to measure on virtual character. Than logic follows that what the player identify as define the gender of the playable character.
So you feel one cannot act the part of the opposite gender, then, simply because their perceptions may be coloured by their own.
No, I'm saying there is not a thing as a playable gendered character. Or at least be defined as non gendered.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Anyone else think that maybe Jim is just to lazy to thank God himself... So he asks us to do it for him?

JohnHayne

Apr 28, 2013
My question is: does freedom of speech encompass obligation of listening? That is, one is free to say what ever one wants, but does it means that I'm obligated to listen?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Hope ya feel better soon Jim. You don't just have God on your side. You got your fans too! ;D
bug_of_war said:

1. The answer is the Egg.

2. You can't force it[sub](unless you blackmail/pay off the developers and publishers I guess)[/sub], but you can always ask them nicely.

Thank God for Jim.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Freedom to support and ignore a product is fine and good, but that isn't really the issue. The issue is that a developer that is deemed not progressive enough in portraying a gender or what have you gets labeled a bigot. It's fine not to buy the Puppeteer, but it's crossing a line to go around calling them sexist or misogynist.

That's the main problem I have with the feminist frequency videos. It isn't that she's pointing out things that are over done or done poorly, it's that she can't wait to say things like 'patriarchy' or twist logic past the breaking point to declare it's objectification of women.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
The question reminds me of that Doom review where the reviewer asked why he couldn't talk to the demons. It looks silly, incredibly nitpicky, and out of place in a review, just as if that review asked why couldn't the Doom Marine be a woman. The question is also marred by having an underlying "agenda" to it. (Still it's a valid question about Doom, but I think there are more interesting things to talk about Doom)

The question does work when asking the creator about the design process or the creator explaining why he did or put X in the game. For example, the SMT IV team did plan to have a female protagonist but changed it and made the dynamics more similar to the first SMT game were the protagonist was a man.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Well, you gotta make a difference there depending on the type of game. In a jump'n'run the protargonist really isnt important and could be just a ball of goo (just dont call it gooboy or something), I doubt anyone would criticize the lack of a gender.
Now when it comes to rpgs then its clear that its easier to get into a role if its closer to you. Like I naturally create a fem shepard or hawke, because that just works better for me. Same goes for any mmorpg.
When I play saints row 3 and (hopefully) soon saints row 4 with my boyfriend, it would feel odd if either of us was forced to not play as the fitting gender.
There are also games where its weird for me when I'm playing a male protargonist (elizabeth needs my help to pull a lever? I doubt I'm much stronger than she is, but the brown-haired, white, 30ish guy im playing naturally is) yet I tolerate it as its necessary to define the PC to be able to tell a story like that (or just makes it way less of a fuzz...).
Its even easier to tolerate that when I know there are games like the new tomb raider, mirrors edge and remember me which turn that around.

I think it is necessary in the current state that we ask why the creators decided to give the protargonist the gender they gave him/her. making just another 30ish, white, male guy is really lazy and I'd prefer if they just run a random generator to get atleast some personality (random being better than bland to me).
But we have to ask in any case, not just when the decision was made to make the PC male: Making a female character just to make a female character is just as bad.

So in conclusion: some games dont need a gendered PC and it might be good to just dont give it a gender at all.
some games benefit a lot from giving the player the choice.
and some games need a more specified protargonist, which is alright if that doesnt automaticly mean hes gotta be male.