Jimquisition: How Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I don't get Skyrim.
It has no atmosphere. It has no interesting characters. It has no important overarching goals (well, there are dragons, but you kinda lose belief that they can actually cause damage after slaughtering dozen of them without any effort). It is ugly and lacks any color besides grey. It's buggy to the point of not being able to finish some quests. And despite all of that I've been playing it for 55 hours and want more.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
It's strange. I agree with the points he made, but I REALLY hope the industry doesn't take ALL lessons from Bethesda.

I quite like good dialogue, meaningful plot decisions and a logical story as well games that don't make my items disappear, or don't have memory leaks that make visiting new areas impossible after a set amount of play time...

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
a-fucking-men.

would have been nice to mention how games like Red Dead Redemption succeed in having both a great single player campaign and a lucrative multiplayer experience, but for the most part I agree. there should just be a multiplayer market and a single player market. I think Valve has the best model right now, using games like TF2 and L4D2 for their multiplayer market, and Half-Life and Portal for the single player. Although I haven't played the Portal 2 co-op yet.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Well said, Jim.

Initially, like many, I was a very harsh critic of your bombastic, caustic personality in commentary (despite often agreeing with the sentiments expressed), but you've won me over during the run of your show.

Testify!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Donnie Restad said:
I really agree with your points, but I'm still having such a hard time getting past your cocky attitude and nasally voice...
Let's be fair. It's more straight whiny than nasal.
It was the extra credits guy that spoke like he had a clothespin on his nose.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Vamast said:
you can't fly dragons. why?
Because the toolset isn't released yet.
Once it is, you cannot only ride dragons, you can marry them and have 12 dragon whelps with them.
And when they grow up, you'll be able to make them go conquer and enslave villages for you.
And you can also become a daedric prince and create the oblivion plane of everlasting cake.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Well those are the reason why my money went to Bethesda instead of Ubisoft, EA, Infinity Ward or Rocksteady.

Reidenn

Nov 8, 2010
Jim, I'm annoyed that you didn't mention the first PC patch adding a Steam requirement in order to play Skyrim instead of addressing a few bugs. And how it was applied even if you told your game to ask for updates before applying.

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
When I heard Mass Effect were considering a multi-player element I boiled with rage, thanks for keeping the bullshit out of the genius factory Bethesda.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DracoSuave said:
As much as I knock Bethesda for some of their business... this is one aspect I must shake their hand on. They know how to make rpgs that matter.
As much as Bethesda the publisher seems to make some ill advised decisions, Bethesda the developer continues to amaze me.

Speaking of which, I laughed out loud when I found the Minecraft reference in Skyrim. That was awesome.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
Did you mind control a chicken to attack a guy in the first clip?
This game may be more interesting than I thought.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Jim, you win the internets. Honestly I don't even think companies believe their bullshit themselves, it's just there to please shareholders who don't know anything about the actual gaming market.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Nice to see Jim gloating unashamedly. Imo its nothing new that the games industry is run by risk averse jerks that follow the Hollywood school of creativity (i.e sequelise everything to the nth degree, give people what you think they want rather than what they actually want etc). But its nice Jim calls them out on it.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I really want to Deus Ex with him.

Oh, I got that wrong?

Whoops.

Great episode, Jim. We really do need to slap your mindset into the gaming executives. Hell, why can't you try and take their position? That would make games awesome again.

FUS RO DAH!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I've heard of Skyrim, if only because everyone won't shut up about it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
"You can't beat Call of Duty by being Call of Duty."

Best line of the video.

That said, single player is for nerds, brah.

/trollface

Ford-Prefect

Jun 26, 2008
The game isn't perfect, but its rich and engaging and yet non-restrictive in how you play it. Fully deserves GOTY, I feel kinda of bad now for making a fuss over the 35 pound steam prices and getting it physical copy for 28 quid. From Morrowind to Skyrim I loved this games.

Enosh_

Aug 27, 2008
the first point is already strange to say the least, there is a difference how people perceive a big SP rpg ala Skyrim where they know they will get at least 20-30h worth of gameplay out of it and how the perceive a linear FPS or action game where the average gametime most probably won't exceed about 12h-ish hours (and no, it's not just the fault of MP that those games are shorter, there are no side quest in mostly liner affairs ala DS2 that wold pad out the game, you are telling a story and you can't draw the whole thing out into 40h otherwise you might as well throw any semblance of pacing out the window)

and the length of SR3 is another problem beyond "lololol DLC", it's a new engine and that requires work and money too

online pass, yeah agree