Jimquisition: Linearity versus Replayability

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
The thing that pisses me off about shoehorned, underdeveloped multiplayer it that it gives me glimpses of what could have been excellent. Bioshock 2's campaign was great (Drill Dash > Anything the first Bioshock has to offer gameplay wise) and Dead Space 2 was okay on its own. Now, these games didn't NEED these multiplayer portions, but those rare, lag free moments in Bioshock 2's multiplayer where I was able to charge into someone with Aerodash and then shoot them point with the Auto-Shotgun were some of the best moments I've ever had in a multiplayer game. Yeah, the balance is overall overly reliant on stuns, slows and instant kills (elephant gun and crossbow, oh how fucking cheap you are), but the cool abilities and variety of weapons made all the crap worth bearing for a while. Dead Space 2's multiplayer just needed some balance tweaks(/a total fucking overhaul since the humans are insanely overpowered) and better connections. The objectives and maps were fairly interesting. The Necromorphs are kind of fun to play, and obviously the humans control fine they work just like Isaac. Honestly, I want a polished, multiplayer only Bioshock game. I've wanted a good multiplayer shooter with magic or special abilities since I first played Morrowind.

Oh, and I've recently been playing through Resident Evil 5 over and over for the past month even though I'm playing the exact same levels over and over while unlocking absolutely nothing new, although it's obviously because I'm racist.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Linearity versus Replayability

Sometimes, Jim wishes he could be you so that he'd also experience the joy of enlightenment each Monday. This week, we look at the mythical struggle between linearity and replayability.

Watch Video
Jim, I have two suggestions for you so your series looks a little more proffesional and doesn't look like a low end youtube project.

1. Get a better camera.

2. Get somebody else to draw for you, their will be plenty who will do it for free.

Trust me, half the trolls will shut up if you actually make this look on par with Extra Credits and ZP.

I do see your point, and yes, I fully agree. I played the first three Spyro games much more than any Call of Duty.

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
This was my first time watching this show... and I don't like it. Mainly, Jim sounds like a complete twat. I agreed with most of what he had to say, yet wanted to disagree because he is playing such a dick. At least Yahtzee comes across as endearing when he is ripping apart his fanbase/industry/himself.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Things more important than an opportunity to being yelled at on the internet by random people:

Ambiguous subtexts
Deep and challenging themes
Visual and auditory design that is intrinsic to the game world
Morally, psychologically and culturally interesting characters
A narrative arc that is tuned to resonate with the genre and tone and genre of the game

That said, Joe Abercrombie, yay.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Pretty much put into words exactly how I feel about gaming today. I can't stand MP, I don't even notice if there is a MP mode or not in any game I buy. However, I've replayed more than a few games I've really liked many, many times. I can't even count how often I've run through Diablo 2, Max Payne 2, Deus Ex and Fallout (all of 'em). Replay value is replay value, and it's amazing how many people don't quite get that.

May 5, 2010
Swifteye said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK Jim, here's the thing: I agree with you about 95% of the time, but....listen carefully here...YOU DON'T HAVE TO ACT LIKE A DICK TO BE ENTERTAINING. It's not like if you stop ripping off Yahtzee we'll all just lose interest, OK? You're a smart guy. PLEASE start acting like one.
That's his character. he's not a new guy who is getting his start here this character previously existed elsewhere. Besides Jim is narcissistic while yahtzee is the cynic and Daniel is the nice smart guy.
*sigh* Yes, I KNOW it's just a character he's playing. I'm saying his character isn't very entertaining, and I think he should stop playing it.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
wow so to be a good game it has to be good.

Amazing insight. My life has become easier knowing this.

Oh is fire hot jim, I Can't tell

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Swifteye said:
OK Jim, here's the thing: I agree with you about 95% of the time, but....listen carefully here...YOU DON'T HAVE TO ACT LIKE A DICK TO BE ENTERTAINING. It's not like if you stop ripping off Yahtzee we'll all just lose interest, OK? You're a smart guy. PLEASE start acting like one.
That's his character. he's not a new guy who is getting his start here this character previously existed elsewhere. Besides Jim is narcissistic while yahtzee is the cynic and Daniel is the nice smart guy.
*sigh* Yes, I KNOW it's just a character he's playing. I'm saying his character isn't very entertaining, and I think he should stop playing it.
That's not going to happen. For one thing his character exists as an antagonist so when you show disdain for him and his ways that's only fire to the fuel. Second I believe he is entertaining in a strongbad sort of way which is a classic "jerk" archetype which often lends itself to being a more popular and entertaining archetype than say the nice guy (not how I would write things but nobody ever asks me to write anything) you can see it all over the net and especially in a lot of comedian routines that being a giant ponce is considered the way to go if you want to be successful. and seeing that so many of them are I kinda wish that wasn't the case because yes. Many of them aren't funny.
Jim sterling exists because most people have forgotten the joys of lighthearted humor saddled with forms of in depth entertainment.

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
bravo jim,

i agree playing multiplayer is a totally different experience, and the level of it's replayability is judged by how long are you playing it before you move on to another game.
now i am a sony fan (not a fanboy), and to me the king of multiplayer replayability is Halo Reach, that game alone makes me want to buy an XBOX

so good job jim and no i will not thank god for you :)

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
There are two things i can't stand to hear in game reviews:

1. Insulting a game because it's linear and therefore has no replayability

2. Insulting a games graphics even though it still looks good and doesn't cause any problem for the actual game play.

Thank you so much for talking about the first one! It's about time somebody did! I hope you'll talk about the other soon, please ^_^

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Swifteye said:
It's not like we are going to mix him up with anyone else.

I loved him last week when he took off the black coat, discarded the shades and talked to us as Jim Sterling, not "Jimquisition". That was him being his own passionate self and be was effective and distinct.

He doesn't need a "gimmick", this isn't prime-time TV where everything must make sense to the dumbest guy in the room.

What is Movie-Bob's angle? He doesn't have one, he does not need one. He's just Bob. Same with Jim.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Charmi the ninja said:
I thought we all knew this already. Oh well, I guess there are some people out here that are still this narrow minded.
Btw, did anyone else feel like pulling their eyeballs out when the picture of "Jim Sterling King of gaming" appeared on screen?? :>

Good show - I still don't like yu very much - but good show.
Me too. I was quite impressed with his voice. I wish I could sing in something that resembles a tune.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
( any rts you care to mention, i like supreme commander and wc3 personally ) portal, magicka, minecraft, terraria, THOUSANDS of hours of re-playability here nothing wrong with singpleplayer games, when did anyone say there was?

ProfMike789

Nov 18, 2009
Here's my personal replay list:

RE4 Normal, 4 save files, ~20 plays
RE4 Pro, 3 save files, ~7 plays
Lost Kingdoms II, ~7 plays
Portal, 3 plays
Portal w/ commentary, 4 plays
Zelda: OoT Normal, ~10 plays
Zelda: OoT Master Quest, ~5 plays
Zelda: MM, 2 plays
Zelda: WW, 6 plays (3 each normal and "second quest")
Zelda: TP, 3 plays
Paper Mario TTYD, 5 plays
Super Mario Sunshine, 3 plays
Luigi's Mansion, 3 plays
Kirby 64, ~5 plays
Okami, 3 plays
Sonic 3 & Knuckles, who the fuck knows

Honestly, if the 1-player mode isn't replayable, and it's not Pokemon or a specifically multiplayer game (like WoW, Smash Bros, some shooters) I'll just rent it rather than buy it.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
verylost said:
JasonBurnout16 said:
I disagree. I like games having multiplayer. I like getting online in a new game, such as Bioshock 2, and playing with my friends. Guess that makes me a ****-mushroom?
Not at all he was saying games don't have to only use multiplayer to have replay value in a game and it doesn't need to be shoehorned in because of a trend. While multiplayer is a good idea you wouldn't force the next Silent Hill game to have online multiplayer because it is said to lengthen replay value correct?
What i was trying to say - quite badly worded - is that I don't see why multiplayer cant be a decent way to add replay value? It has worked before and just because some gamers do not enjoy games such as Bioshock having multiplayer, other people may enjoy the experiance multiplayer brings.

And I wouldn't pretend to know about Silent Hill as I've never bothered to play it - but with games like Assassin's Creed it worked. So I can understand why other game companies are trying it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Great show Jim and very true. Love Final Fantasy IX as well but there's also the plethora of Bioware RPGs which have almost exclusively been single player (and awesome)

Loved the singing at the end too!

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
So, to recap: FF9, Portal and Bioshock are all good games?!?! Holy crap! It's not like there are video game critics out there by the hundreds who could have told me that, so I never would have known without you. [/sarCASM]

Seriously though: telling me that time-honored video game classics are good is like telling me that swearing in public is a bad idea. Not only does every functioning member of society over the age of ten know that, but you are also going to be wrong sometimes.

Take a risk, show us some video games we might not have tried before that are awesome and linear. Defend games commonly considered to be bad and show why they're awesome and game critics are stupids. But I really don't care that you think Mario is fun.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Brilliant! Just brilliant! Seriously I have the same arguement with losts of people. Sure I own over 100s of games but I always have a bunch I replay more then once. I've actually played the Halo campaign modes more then once. I've played every Final Fantasy made during Hironobu Sakaguchi's time dozens of times(That's 1 through to X-2 for those who don't know). I replay Super Mario titles more often the I use the toilet. Actually I've played every game that I own that isn't an FPS or 3rdPS more then once(Halo being the only FPS I've played more then once), even Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight(Crossfire to the USA). I've played that 4 times

Replayability to me as a gamer who's been playing for 21 years is the ability to enjoy the game more then once. Sure I count New Game+ modes as well into replayability like what Crono Trigger first introduced(not sure if it's true but that's where I first experienced it) but it's not used very often and to be honest some games are better without it like the good Final Fantasy's(I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2).

I honestly wish the game developers would realise that there is a market for single player story driven narratives that aren't JRPGs. I love JRPGs for that reason and would love to see more games like Metal Gear Solid and LA Noire come out instead of Gears of Halo Duty: Battlefield.