Jimquisition: Old Man Mario

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, argument is sound. Problem is will Nintendo do anything to solve it?

Also, I played SMeatB and RO and, well, I don't like those as a potential evolution to platformers as there was none of the charm of the pre Galaxy 2 mario games and only "You fucked up? Ohohoh! Start over, you jackass!" smarmyness. Something that got even more obvious in the bosses (Rayman especially).

I think if nothing else, besides refusing to evolve at all (Nintendo's problem) there's the risk of evolutionary dead ends; stuff like FFXIII which basically refused point blank to allow the player to play as it had more fun with itself.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
LoZ is the only Nintendo franchise I even care about at this point. Can't really be bothered to talk about Mario games when I'm completely apathetic towards them.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
ConanThe3rd said:
Yeah, argument is sound. Problem is will Nintendo do anything to solve it?
They will likely make four or five pathetic failed attempts before finally putting Mario to rest, or actually manage to produce something new and enjoyable. Sadly for many of us it will still have that too little too late feel about it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jim should do that, explain the episode thing at the end of every episode to help stem the tide of the stupids.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Dynasty Warriors games rule

is DW7 any good?
DW7 is a solid return to form after DW6, but Warriors Orochi 3 is really where it's at. That game is pretty much the perfect Warriors title.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
I knda find it funny how little bitches like moviebob whine how call of duty hasnt changed for SOOO long , but never says anything about mario .

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Aircross said:
Nintendo should have Mario take on the 4th dimension next, complete with paradoxes that need to be resolved into stable time loops.
Super Mario World: Mario Meets the Elder Things. Now with Sanity Meter!

I'd buy that. Instant Game of the Year.

For serious. :)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*sigh* Mario, Mario, Mario... how the mighty have fallen.

Having barely played Mario Galaxy 1 (like 20 minutes in a friend's house), I IMMENSELY enjoyed Mario Galaxy 2, but I hated the "New" Super Mario Bros. on both the Wii and the DS.

Having played Super Meat Boy (and achieving 100% and going for a second playthrough) and Rayman Origins, heck, even Sonic Generations... Mario is getting old. Sure, Sega took like 10+ games to get Generations right and the entire game is supposed to rely entirely on nostalgia, but at least they took everything that worked in the past and make an amalgam of awesomeness, while still feeling new enough.

Mario is getting a bit repetitive and Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas, but at least there are far worse "rehashed" games out there that ask way more money each year.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm starting to get the feeling that Nintendo are starting to falter ever since Miyamoto stepped down.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I hope Moviebob watches this so he can stop squeeing over seeing a goddamn tanuki feather in a trailer.

Captcha: Be Serious Now

Yes, yes you should.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I hope Moviebob watches this so he can stop squeeing over seeing a goddamn tanuki feather in a trailer.

Captcha: Be Serious Now

Yes, yes you should.
I agree, it's one reason that I rarely watch Game Overthinker anymore, on occasion he has some interesting points, but when it comes to Nintendo it seems they can do no wrong which really pisses me off. No company is perfect.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Its true but I would like to bring up the point that though there is quite a bit of Competition in the 2d market can you name any original 3d platformer released in the last 2 years?
There really arent any and considering its my favorite genre I freely admit to be very forgiving of things things like the fact that super Mario galaxy 2 is just the first but more and that super Mario 3d land feels a lot like galaxy but less spectacular and without a health bar so until they start milking the nostalgia of people who grew up with n64 and start making 3d platformers mario gets a free pass.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I have to admit, this is where I disagree with MovieBob the most. As much as I like Mario, I'm not about to throw my money away just for another batch of relatively bland and uninspired levels and a handful of often completely pointless power-ups. I MIGHT be inclined to buy it with the inclusion of certain underrated characters like the Koopalings, thought, but I'm kind of a sucker for the Koopalings anyway. Still, I can't help but feel that Nintendo really isn't trying anymore with their mainstream Mario games...

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:
I agree with most of the things stated in this video, though I haven't really been into Mario since the SNES era. Mario 64 was nice enough, but during that same generation (the 5th gen) the game got surpassed on every level by other platformer games - which made me wonder why they never made a sequel to Mario 64 on the N64 console to reclaim their position.

Mario Sunshine had some of the lowest scores a "main" Mario title ever had. It was also released around the same time we got Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Raccoon - other platformer titles that were very enjoyable and developed new, interesting mechanics without depending on nostalgia. Now that the new Mario game wasn't released before the onslaught of other platformer titles, people started to realize Mario games aren't THAT great. They're good, but they aren't worth the showers of "perfect scores".

Then the 7th gen happened...

These days, the only competition Mario gets from the platformer genre is the LEGO franchise - which is a sad statement in and of itself.

Why try harder if nobody's challenging you...
Woops forgot the lego games I do think there good If a bit repetitive but yeah it is a pretty sad statement.