Jimquisition: Old Man Mario

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I must be a war criminal for my penis certainly does not have a mouth.
Also, you said Last good mario was in 2007, incindentaly, i think last good anything coming out of nintendo was in 2007 so yeah i guess you got a point.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
brazuca said:
CoD has been doing the same for years and look what they achieved.
There's a pretty marked difference between difference between 5 years (Modern Warfare's release) and 16 years (Mario 64's release).

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Undeadpool said:
brazuca said:
There's a pretty marked difference between difference between 5 years (Modern Warfare's release) and 16 years (Mario 64's release).
Actually you should begin counting from COD 2, in 2005.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
This entire episode might as well be a middle finger to people like the Game Overthinker. . . . .

. . . . . Jim, you are now my favorite person in the world. This week.

gonephishing

Jun 7, 2010
I'd love this guy if he wasn't such a fucking prick. Yeah I get it's supposed to be ironic, but it doesn't come off that way, and it isn't endearing. He makes a good point half the time and I can't help but enjoy listening to him rant, but the self-aggrandizement narcissism is just disgusting...
That being said; I watch every week, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
"If you have any respect for Nintendo..." Let me stop you right there mister. I have never played an Nintendo game and I properly never will from what I have seen its awful boring games played only by people who played the first games on the NES.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
I was once a Nintendo fan, Gamecube had my favorite all time controller (it was just so damn comfy) but I had Nintendo Wii since launch and my enthusiasm ended after all the lazy ports and re-packaged version of old game with worse controls and some case worse graphics that they had on Gamecube. Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and SSX Blur are the only games I can really remember playing that were different to how they always are.

I should probably mention that I pretty much gave my Wii away in the end.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Dear Jim,

I agree.

Sincerely, me.

I could leave now but...eh, what the hell.
I grew up with Nintendo. I was a Nintendo follower for the longest time. Even when my parents bought us a PS1 instead of a 64, I had high hopes of getting one someday. Or a GameCube, when it was released later on. But once I opened my eyes to other franchises and went back and compared them, Nintendo started falling behind. The Wii was the finishing blow.
Mario games were awesome for a while. But it's true; Nintendo ran out of tricks and they're just doing the same thing over and over again. When they released New Super Mario for both DS and Wii, I thought it was a bit cheap. I mean, you didn't exactly get Mario 64 for the Gameboy Color, right? Or Mario World for the original Gameboy, right? But alright, I though. They're allowing people with different systems to play the same game. I suppose that's okay.

But then Mario 64 DID come out for the DS. And Mario Kart. Okay, I said skeptically. Maybe they want the generation of kids to enjoy those games. And then they announced New Super Mario 2, which looks EXACTLY the same as the first one,except for, you know, coins. They're literally bribing you to play the new game now. "WHOOO! Coins all over the place! Buy the new game!". (Don't take that last statement too seriously, come on).

It's all about giving the player something different to look at so you can literally differentiate the first version of the game from the sequel. Games like the Jak saga this did beautifully. It was essentially the same gameplay and characters but the setting and the plot were different. Like Jim said, Zelda does the same. Characters are the same, plot's the same but now instead of exploring Hyrule while riding Epona, you ride a giant bird and surf the skies. Little change, big difference. The game simply looks different.

But looking back at Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 or New Super Mario 1 and 2 or all the Mario karts ever since Mario Kart 64, they all look the same for the most part. That's when you know you've done something wrong. You'd never look at Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess and confuse one with the other (Unless you don't like Zelda?).

Personally, I buy a Mario game every decade or so. I know I'm not missing on much. Not only that but they're making them too kid friendly nowadays. And no, it's not me getting better. They're just too easy. Mario World still gives me a challenge and even though I've played it a million times, I'm always up for another run.
Oh, and that's also the same reason why I'm apathetic towards the WiiU. Looks the same, probably feels the same (Oh, wait: "One tablet controller! Whoo! Technology! Hip and cool!"), the library of games is not that impressive or original. Maybe there's like two exceptions but that's about it. It amounts to nothing anyway.

Nintendo's getting a bit too comfortable with that repetition system. I guess they already realized they've fallen behind so much by now that there's no point in trying anymore.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Terminate421 said:
Here is an idea, mix how you navigate.

The WiiU controller's screen has a way of moving, sort of swapping the controls to "iPhone" mode for a section or some element of gameplay. To keep it from being a gimmick, the whole game is centered around this while still providing the fun and challenge of a typical mario game.

Also no more lives.
NO. iPhones suck for gaming. The controller has buttons on it, and we should be using them to control the actions at all times. I don't want to keep failing at parts of the game simply because the controls suddenly turned into soggy dog shit.
You, person, have ninja'd me. And I thank you.

I'm not dumb or anything but I don't want to look at the screen then back at the hybrid tablet/controller then back at the screen only to find out I've died. What is this, an Old Spice commercial? Just let me plop on my couch and play the stupid game! And yes, it is distracting. The DS kinda pulled it off because you're looking at the whole system, screen and buttons alike. Your eyes just flicker for a moment when you try to look at both screen. But unless I plan on playing my WiiU as if I was holding a steering wheel (Which I don't), then it's just distracting. And yeah, it does alienate the one player who's holding that remote thing, for better or for worse.

Nintendo's just trying to be a cool kid at this point, copying someone e'se's gimmicks and tricks.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm sad Jim didn't dress up as Mario :( He would look so cute.

At first I was like 'but Mario Galaxy was different and awesome' and then Jim was like 'yeah but that was in 2009' and I was like....-.- goddamn I'm old.

I do think maybe the DS Mario's are great for kids to play who are new to Mario. Not everyone was there the first time around.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
brazuca said:
Undeadpool said:
brazuca said:
Actually you should begin counting from COD 2, in 2005.
Except for the entire revamp of the setting and weapons...that's why I started from Mario 64, not Super Mario Bros.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
Jim.

As much as Dust: An Elysian Tail may be more interesting than the latest Mario games...I cannot stand it. I've tried so hard to love it (I loved The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai for example, also a samurai game made by one guy and with a stereotypical samurai amnesia story), but I simply cannot get past the demo without cringing at the dialogue and cliche.

Not that anyone will ever read this, but I needed to get that point out before I finished the video.