Jimquisition: Only The Lonely

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
gonephishing said:
yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.
And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Moth_Monk said:
Susan Arendt said:
Hey, folks, lay off the "hahaha devout people are so stupid" characterizations. Mocking someone for their faith is decidedly uncool - as would it be if they mocked you for your lack of it.
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith. Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?
This is not a discussion about how reasonable it is or is not to be devout. You're welcome to your opinion, just as others are welcome to theirs.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
What scares me is that Valve is going along with this. They did say that Portal 2 was their last game with truly isolated single player.

WWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!???????????????

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Whats wrong with playing a game on your own? Or reading a book or watching a movie? Everything seems geared towards the facebook people. How they cant go without 3 seconds without stating what they are doing. Its pathetic. Gaming is escapism. Escape from people and life. F3 or Skyrim isnt lonely, your the king making your own choices and being yourself. I am annoyed by the fact that every game seems to have a multi player, for instance the new tomb raider has one. Why? I see the death of single player gaming. Such a shame as it will be the death of gaming for me.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
Well said, Willem.

OT: I agree.

Slightly off topic: One other big problem I've been having with this whole "everything needs multiplayer" mentality? That they've also been cutting out couch co-op. I don't mind online multiplayer, but when my brother or cousins come over, I want to be able to play with them without each of us having our own copy of the game, console and TV.
Thank you for saying this! My husband and I use to be able to pick up any game that said multi-player and start playing. Now we need to have 2 copies and be connected to the internet, even though we're literally sitting next to each other. Sometimes you just don't need 2 PS3s...

OT: I adore single player games, especially RPGs. I feel like all weight is lost when there are lots more people that are also the "Chosen One!"

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Moth_Monk said:
gonephishing said:
And also, if you keep watching this heathen's videos, God will send you to hell. Amirite?

/sarcasm
Knock it off, Adolf.

OT: Yeah there is this irrational obsession with social interaction in our society, which has bleed into gaming. The phrase, "Hell is other people," was coined for a reason. Too often having to deal with other people is maddening. Too many times have I had to put up with people being obnoxious, annoying, or just plain sickening to be around.
Be it people who can't take "no" for an answer, people who think irrational hatred is a form of enlightenment, people who seem unable or unwilling to take note of the obvious, or people that are just plain irritating; this people have proven that being social is overrated.

I believe that forced social activity is more damaging, then voluntary solitude.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
The annoying fact is that multiplayer (as far as suits are concerned) just makes more money. So unless wise people like Jim tell them to fucking stop, there's going to be wads of spambots champing at the bits to shove their way into every sandbox game, Mario game, horror game, etc. And I'm sure it wont stop there: figure out a way to charge people for it and we can get social media into movies, into books. Don't you want a running commentary from your friends while you're reading 50 Shades of Gay?

So please, Jim, keep it up. Remind people that there's a time and a place for multiplayer and a time and place for single player, and that they don't have to meet.

I was actually kinda hoping for some good ol' fashioned Christian backlash but haven't seen any yet. Oh well. Better luck next time?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well yeah...

I damn well hate multiplayer. None of my friends play the same games as me, and when they do we play them at woefully different rates (My failed experience buying Borderlands 2 to play with friends... who rapidly eclipsed me in level because I went on vacation and then didn't feel like playing when I got back blah blah blah).

Videogames are my solo activity, I have a social life, one in real life, a second one on the internet, I don't need one in my videogames as well. Hell if I can coordinate 4 friends we'll likely be doing something else other than playing videogames, especially since most devs have decided that Same Screen Multiplayer is for losers.

Mostly though, I'm pretty sure most games are so multiplayer heavy these days because it's cheaper and you don't need to program other people like you do AI opponents, you also don't need cool set pieces, voice actors, writers... everything that makes games GOOD for me... and people still buy them by the boatloads.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
To be honest, part of the problem is that there's a market segment with folks going "It doesn't have multiplayer? Not gonna buy it."

No matter how much you tell them that the single-player for Title X is worthwhile, they'll retort "Yeah, but it doesn't have multiplayer. I don't like single-player gamees."

Which is fairly ironic, as I don't believe that there's any way for any gamer to discover the medium with multiplayer titles, to actively play multiplayer titles and NOTHING BUT multiplayer titles.

Actually, scratch that. I remember meeting guys in Champions Online and City of Heroes/Villains who honestly didn't touch anything OTHER than MMOs.

The funny thing is, even with other players running around, most MMO participants tend to clear out the solo aspects of the gameworld on their own. MMO devs are considerate enough to set up quest tiers specifically designed for solo play!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Wait... so what I do in MY city will affect the people around me now?!

I need to get this game and crank up the pollution and crime!

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
I agree 100%. I'm an introvert and love playing games by myself. I'm not anti-social or deprived of friends. I have Facebook if I want to talk to people. I can't stand that media is pushing me to be an extrovert. Not every video game needs to have multiplayer.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
For someone who is an observant person making a living in the industry, fully immersed in day to day affairs, trends, outcomes and even has a webshow based around being insightfully observant. How can you look the effect and disregard/ignore/miss the cause?

Its simple, the concept of ostracizing single player is an intended effect. These people WANT you to feel bad for not playing with other people. They want you to think every game MUST have multiplayer components. They want online connectivity to be a standardized gaming element.

These people do not care how "unhealthy" it might be to not socialize. They actually like it when players spend 16+ hours a day playing their products instead of engaging in real life. It does not bother them when a kid dies of DVT due to abysmal habits and failing priorities.

They proactively are pushing this to indoctrinate gamers. They want gamers to accept these impositions as givens to create industry standard.

Why?

Because it gives them the ability to control the products, even after sale which they have no right to. It grants them accessibility and freedom to utilize their product as marketing tools to spur on further and perpetual sales. They view their games as gamers willingly paying to have a full size corporate owned billboard in their front yard. It gives them a foot in your door to push DLC, expansions, sequels, other products while you foot the broadband bill to deliver their "important messages from our sponsors" How can they achieve this level of free marketing, guilt sales, cosmetic add ons, DLCs all the while keeping you connected to THEIR servers to ensure that despite proactively purchasing it, you arent pirating it? If you arent plugged in they have to go back to relying on expensive techniques like paying for advertisements, or developing a game good enough to generate word of mouth buzz. Worst part is, you cant even fault them for trying to do it, because it is just an extension of what they are supposed to do as a company, generate profit while reducing overhead. Capitalism Ahoy! Right?..... Right?

Getting tweaked over the effect is impractical if you did not see or chose to ignore the cause.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Moth_Monk said:
The thing is devout people do stupid things in the name of faith; where as nobody does something stupid in the name of lack of faith.
Um....
Moth_Monk said:
Anyway, devotees believe things that have zero evidence. How ridiculous is that?
You insulted a random person on the internet, for no apparent reason, on no personal basis. Simply because they believe differently than you. How stupid is that?

hmmm....

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Wow... page three before someone commented on the intro in a negative fashion... that honestly surprises me.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
gonephishing said:
yeah... I'm not watching this show anymore. I don't hate anybody for having their own beliefs, because I don't "hate" anybody. I don't think that spending time watching a person who is willing to blatantly demonstrate such an grandiloquently offensive and sacrilegious attitude is a good use of my time. I'm afraid Jim has lost a viewer.
Not that this is likely to change you mind, but if you compare the way Jim speaks in his intro/conclusion with the way he talks in the main portion of his video, it's pretty obvious that he isn't expecting himself to to be taken seriously in that part. The main portion of his video has some good points, as usual, and the rest is merely entertainment. Does he have a generally mocking attitude? Sure, but what's wrong with being lightly mocked from time to time? As usual, XKCD puts it best:

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Thank God for Jim indeed.

OT: I can identify with everything Jim said. There are just some occasions where I want to get lost in a large open area without running into any other player-controlled being. It just feels like quality time to gather your thoughts or just totally immerse yourself in the experience.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
gonephishing said:
If your god is so fucking thin skinned that he is honestly hurt that fucking Jim Sterling, a guy who made videos asking Cliffy B to fill his 'epic hole' and to tell gay Mass Effect fan fiction, is making fun of him, then he truly is lucky that Jim would note him as beneath him.