Jimquisition: Vertigo

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
I am curious how many protagonists in general don't have generic motivations in games? I mean generic heroics is usually the norm, I'm not saying there aren't games that are more morally hazy but wasn't his last episode about how rare it is to play the bad guy.

Edit:I was thinking isn't this more a homogenization problem rather than a sexism problem? in fact isn't all the sexism problems in games (though not things like online communities) just repackaged homogenization problems that's what I don't get why people have to get up in arms on either side can't we all just agree on more variety.

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
Silent Protagonist said:
Suggestion: Try to come up with some male protagonists that fit Jim's criteria and debunk them like this thread has been doing with possible female character candidates that Jim might have missed. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head. The guys from GTAV don't even fit his criteria. Might be worth a separate thread
Abe from Oddworld? Though I guess his motivations are kind of generically heroic... Generic motivations eliminates the vast majority of games and kinda makes this conversation difficult.

I do agree that some of his male examples were borderline, I doubt there aren't at least a few other people who have the hots for Snake and Fenix.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
I don't think non-human characters qualify. Or at least they shouldn't. It falls into a common trap that a lot of writers fall into, it doesn't matter if your character is female if they could just as easily be male. Men and women are different, and a good writer can write characters that aren't just males swapped with females.

I think eliminating attractive characters is also probably going to far, being attractive isn't the problem. It's being nothing but attractive bits that's the problem. There's a lot of attractive women who are really great characters, some even brought up in this very thread.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
Monxeroth said:
Pat Hulse said:
Monxeroth said:
Pat Hulse said:
Monxeroth said:
Pat Hulse said:
Monxeroth said:
erttheking said:
Monxeroth said:
Tombsite said:
Monxeroth said:
If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?
They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.
Thats up for debate however and not an objective fact, especially if you just consider that to be the one part that matters to a player, regardless if its being marketed to you as such. Its a woman, shes attractive.
I like to compare this debate to the new steam controller rage:

oh my god look how bad this controller looks it must be shit.

While im thinking instead: I wonder what it feels like to use it for play though since i will use my controller for a game and not to look at.
Look you can split hairs as much as you want, but it's pretty hard to deny that a massive majority of female characters are designed with the intention of people trying to make them look good in mind. And a good looking character isn't a bad thing, a lot of people really like Mitsuru from Persona 3 and she's hardly lacking, but good looking for female is become ing what "White, brown haired thirty something" is for male. There is nothing wrong with a character like that but the sheer number of them is ridiculous and something ELSE would be nice.
Truth=/=Urgency

While its debatably somewhat true, the impact it has or the urgency of said subject isnt objectively problematic in itself, because again i must ask the question in that case: Does the opposite matter/not matter, and if so, why/why not?

I havent denied anything but neither am i so gullible to simply accept a black and white scenario without contrast.
First of all the fallacy that appearently then according to most arguments vs this, is well, we get a "non-traditionally attractive female protagonist" and then to break it down first of all. Well what constitutes one ideal over another, as you must be aware both male and female gamers find some "non-traditionally attractive males" to be appealing in games. The other problem comes with ambiguous genders and well, if it is a female but we cant tell, is it a female? If a tree falls in the forest without anyone around to hear it does it still make a noise, basically?
Then the third question of course becomes, protagonist, according to me? you? what about anti-heroes then or npcs or other characters in a game that have equal amount of impact on the game as you the player does?
Your question regarding "urgency" of this kind of representation discrepancy drudges up the dreaded Tumblr-abuse word of "privilege". Because you and I do not lack for representation in our favorite form of media, we cannot empathize with someone who has no high-profile representation in said medium. So the urgency of this sort of discrepancy may seem trivial to us, but as there are so many gamers clamoring for this sort of representation in games, one would assume they find it rather urgent.

To put it another way, your question seems to be "Yes, there probably is a discrepancy regarding the prominence of non-traditionally-attractive female protagonists in games vs. the male equivalent, but is that a serious problem?" Well, my feelings on the issue are that if a lot of people have a problem with it, their complaints seem reasonable, and changing things would require very little sacrifice from a practical or social perspective and our community stands to gain from it, I think whether or not it is "urgent" is a moot point. Rather, I think the more "urgent" matter is that people within our community seem hard-wired to resist this sort of observation and criticism as though it potentially threatens something.

It's really no different from when a person complains about how shooters are too generic or how single-player experiences are diminished to favor tacked-on multiplayer experiences. We complain about aspects of the industry that we don't like, hoping that they will change and improve our overall experience. That's exactly what those arguing for equal representation are doing. They dislike something in the industry, so they're pointing it out and complaining about it so it can change and improve their enjoyment of it. And unless someone thinks those changes will lessen their enjoyment of it, then I don't really understand why people bother to take it so personally as if they are accused of being called sexist just for enjoying video games.
Yeah but thats all subjective however and up to me or you to decide not one collective, since that pretty much voids all form of individuality which is yknow, fucking terrible. Once more, its not really urgent and may not even be all that important, trivial at best but hey, if creators come along with creations of said things to counter that then hooray for them *golfclaps* but it wont be the end of the world if they dont.
Then again i would like games to be appriciated for games and not for other things like how the controller looks or if my protagonist happens to be a nontraditionally attractive female or not, and if does come to that, then i would like the game to actually be praised and reviewed on the basis of it BEING A GAME, but appearently thats too much to ask from some people i guess :L

Well a lot of religious fundamentalists also have problems with todays world yet we can hopefully all agree that theyre far from reasonable, as is the case with this debate that, while perhaps a vocal but very stupid part of the debate, argues for one thing, doesnt by default make it valid or reasonable based simply on numbers, but rather how well their arguments hold up against their counterarguments, which they dont, not all that much exactly anyway...

Eh, i guess some people do but theyre usually stupid, i may not like what you like but i wont hate you for liking what i dont like, if that makes any sense, since i objectively cant tell you: what you enjoy is shit. because yknow, enjoyment is subjective and all that
The difference is that appeasing religious fundamentalists who complain would severely negatively impact several individuals who do not share those beliefs by restricting LGBT rights and affecting women's health issues. Whereas turning, say, Trevor from GTA V into a woman and basically changing next to nothing else about him probably wouldn't have negatively impacted the game or anyone's enjoyment of it in any significant way. You'd basically just have to slightly alter the character design and get rid of the scene where he shows off his dick. And it would have had the added bonus of engendering good will from gamers who wish to have more diverse examples of female protagonists in video games.

There's also the fact that religious fundamentalists are not in any way marginalized members of society (tax breaks, tons of representation in media as well as air time, a great deal of political influence and representation), but I don't think that's a necessary argument to make regarding this particular issue, valid or not.
But even so appeasing this type of crowd just for the sake of appeasement actually would have a negative effect on the industry since the act of acting for the sake of action has and always will be incredibly anti-intelligent.
Its a secondary priority and should always be.
You make your game first and then if your game has room for a nontraditionally attractive female protagonist then go right ahead, i havent argued against anything else, just that id like my game primarily to be..well a game, and then that whole feminist thing can be shoehorned in if it wants to as long as it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game really
Entertainment industries are exclusively about appeasement. That's pretty much the entire definition of entertainment. It can be used to enrich lives, sure, but it is first and foremost used to be fun and distracting and give us something to do with our idle time. The better question is who we're appeasing, why we're appeasing them, and how that appeasement would negatively impact the appeasement of others.

My argument is simply that unless you can think of a counter-argument, changing a male protagonist in a game whose gender identity is not critical to their character (of which there are many) into a female protagonist whose gender identity is not critical to their character without changing much else would be trivially difficult, have a positive impact on communities who ask for such representation, and wouldn't have a significant negative impact on those who aren't asking for it. In my mind, if doing something is easy and would have a positive effect that outweighs the negative effect by a significant margin, it ought to be a no-brainer. We shouldn't FORCE people to do this, obviously, but there's nothing wrong with attempting to convince people to make this decision voluntarily if they find the arguments compelling and if they want to make work that's accessible to a wider audience.
Well yeah but again in that case there needs to be incentive and it needs to be compelling without feeling forced or without just the intent of creating diversity rather than letting it be created organically through play and through the player experience. Nothing good will ever come of simply complaining and shouting about it because what we need is not what we want. If we do however want it on the basis of something being simply objectively good as a, in this case, game, then we need to cater to that primarily and not let something be carried upon the simple fact that it "challanges the barriers of social constructs".

Like i said, i for one would just like a good game and if such a thing as gender doesnt affect my playing experience, go right ahead.
If its being shoehorned in just for the sake of it and forcing it upon me trying to make me compelled then that game can go eat a dong for all i care and the devs hopefully out of a job soon.
I understand what you mean, but I'm not talking about including women just for the sake of social justice, but more because if there's no reason for men to be the default, there should be no reason to not just swap the gender. You don't have to make it a big political thing or a statement, just change a chromosome. I look at a character like Trevor and ask myself "Why is this character a man?" and I can't think of a compelling reason. Then I ask, "If he were a woman, would I find the character more interesting?" And the answer, for me at least, is yes. I've seen male characters like Trevor before. Psychotically violent middle-aged slobs with substance abuse problems are frequently men, but there's no reason they HAVE to be, other than arbitrary social constructs and expectations. Statistically men might be more prone to this type of behavior, but women can be psychotically violent middle-aged slobs with substance abuse problems, and since when did protagonists have to be statistically plausible? Furthermore, if you turn Trevor into a woman, even without changing much of anything else, you create an additional layer of subtext that makes the character far more intriguing and complicated simply because we as an audience haven't ever really played as a woman like that before. Sometimes changing one ingredient can completely transform the recipe.

I'm first and foremost a proponent of making things more interesting. Having characters default to white men is boring to me. Having a gaming culture that's dominated by white men is boring to me. I want developers to shake things up and try new things, and if that has the added benefit of getting different people interested in gaming, then I'm completely on board.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Branindain said:
Regarding Amaterasu, she certainly seems the perfect choice. Correct me if my memory is lying to me though, but didn't they pretty much obfuscate her gender throughout the game, presenting her as non-gendered unless you read the manual?
I find that sort of strange that someone would even have to read a manual to figure that out, considering Amaterasu is the sun goddess and mother to us all. It'd be like playing as Hera or Aphrodite or another well known goddess, but in animal-form, and being confused as to what gender she is without being told. As to people in-game confusing her gender, most of the time they can't tell if she's a wolf, let alone looking underneath to check what gender. Those characters that know, well... know.

*Though you didn't mention it, I don't like that there are those who say she can't be a girl just because she lifts her leg when using Golden Fury, as alpha female wolves mark their territory just the same as males; the devs can't be blamed just because they bothered to do the research and it just so happens to not jive with preconceived notions of what wolves are supposed to do.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
fwiffo said:
Does bandage girl from super meat boy count?

I guess you can see her as "cute", but definitely not sexy or curvy in general.

She's got the same powers as meat boy, and takes on the hardest levels of the game.
Probably not. In the story she's the thing Meat Boy has to rescue. Despite said rescue falling into the realm of sheer parody/reference, Jim would likely not count it.

CrazyFikus

Mar 20, 2009
I'm a bit late to the party, but would Inquisitor Adrastia From DoW II: Retribution count? Haven't played the game to be honest...

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
Well, I've got two to add to the list. They are both going to be knocked down because they don't meet all the requirements necessarily, but I don't think meeting all the requirements should really be a goal for a good character. They do, IMO, offer some palate-cleansing to the usual fare of victim/vixen women we encounter.

1. The original Lara Croft. Despite her bosom, she was entirely independent, morally ambiguous and beat the boys at their own game. She was considered attractive by PS1 standards, but I never felt that Lara cared whether the boys thought she was attractive or not. She played by her own rules and was accountable to no one.

2. Kaede from Onimusha Warlords/Genma Onimusha. Yes, she's a "helper" character, but you do get to play as her and she kicks ass, even saving the protagonist at one point. I suppose one could consider her attractive, but again, she feels very plain and unadorned by game standards for women. She is not morally questionable by our standards, but by the standards of feudal Japan, she's positively scandalous.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
Ukomba said:
Pat Hulse said:
Ukomba said:
Pat Hulse said:
Ukomba said:
Hmm, well here's a list of characters I think meet that criteria:

Amazon in Dragon's Crown.
Lucca from Chrono Trigger.
Okami from Okami.
Peacock from skull girls.
Double from skull girls.
Macha from Chrono Cross.
NeoFio from Chrono Cross.
Poshul from Chrono Cross.
Sprigg from Chrono Cross.
Shale from Dragon Age.
Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2.

That's just what I could come up with off the top of my head from games I've played.
Amazon - Sexualized, impractical outfit. While not "traditionally" attractive from a mainstream attraction, she definitely fits within fetishistic character design tropes popular in certain niches within Japanese entertainment. She may not be everyone's cup of tea, but trust me, she's designed for sex appeal. Plus none of the characters in that game have interesting or unique character motivations or identities, so even if you could argue that she isn't designed with sex appeal in mind, she fails to meet Jim's criteria for that reason as well (though at least the male characters in the game are equally as uninteresting and under-developed).
Lucca - A supporting character, not a protagonist. Jim was specifically looking for playable protagonists.
Okami - The character is actually named Amaterasu, but I'd say that's probably a fair example that Jim may have overlooked.
Peacock - Her motivations center around being used as a test subject, which Jim would justifiably qualify as "power from trauma".
Double - See above.
Macha/NeoFio/Poshul/Sprigg - Not protagonists.
Shale - A DLC character and not a protagonist.
Kreia - Not a protagonist.

One example I thought of that Jim may have overlooked is Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie, who could be argued as a supporting character, but I'd argue that she's the more active participant in the duo, particular in regards to gameplay, though obviously she has less at stake in terms of plot since it's not her sister that's been kidnapped. But it does seem a bit silly that we have to keep looking at non-humanoids to find valid examples.

And it may seem like splitting hairs for discounting many of your characters for not being protagonists, but part of the issue is that women would like to be able to directly identify with the character they has the most agency and direct focus within the story. They may like to see well-crafted female supporting characters, but when it's all they have, it starts to make them feel ignored, marginalized, and underestimated. It seems like there's an underlying hesitance to make a woman the central protagonist either due to concerns regarding whether or not their young male demographic would enjoy playing as a female character they don't find attractive, as though we would be afraid of identifying with a woman. As a dude, I find that assumption pretty demeaning. I don't need to find a female character sexy to want to play as her and I don't need to play as a male character to identify with the protagonist. I think game publishers need to stop overthinking it so much.
For starters, look up the definition of 'protagonist'. Here let me help:

protagonist: the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

So Kreia, Macha, NeoFio, Poshul, Sprigg, Lucca, and Shale are, in fact, Protagonists. Any Party member would be. Even non playable characters, like Joker from Mass Effect, would count as a Protagonist. Lucca especially, since Chrono dies half way through the game. Is there just no Protagonist at that point?

A character being DLC is entirely irrelevant.

The Trauma thing, well you might have me for those two.
From a narrative perspective, you may be right, but we're talking about video games here. It's possible for a game to have multiple protagonists, but in my mind, that would mean those characters would have to share all of the same means of control and prominence within the game and gameplay. To put it another way, the protagonist in Dragon Age is the main character because you can walk around as them, talk to people, and do a bunch of other things, but since you cannot do most of those things as Shale, she is rendered a supporting character. Shale is a character you talk to and command in combat. She only sticks around so long as she has a relationship and commitment to the main character. If she leaves, you don't get to play as her and see what happens on her solo adventures.

To put it yet another way, all those characters may be critically important to the plot, but you can't play as them in the same way you can play as the "true" protagonist.

That said, I had forgotten that Lucca was actually a playable character with no real significant gameplay differences when compared with Crono, so yeah, I guess she probably would fit Jim's criteria. However, while I haven't played "Chrono Cross", my understanding is that Serge is the central character throughout the whole game and the one used for navigation and managing the other playable characters, clearly making him the protagonist.
Then Jim shouldn't have used examples of non "true protagonists" in his video if he didn't want examples of them brought up in the comments.
Yes, I suppose the inclusion of the female characters from "Gears of War" does confuse that distinction a bit. Fair point.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
THE_MUFFIN_MAN15 said:
Why are female characteristics always seen as "bad writing" or "generic" to you Jim? What I got from this video is that all female characters should only have traditional male motivations and attributes. Did I miss a hidden assumption somewhere along the line? This doesn't seem as uncontroversial as you make it seem
Um...the stereotypes he criticized writers of female characters for falling into were always pretty, always a love interest, and only fighting in a desperate attempt to survive and not in an empowering way. I don't see how those are female characteristics.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Still dont get why this is a "game" issue. Look at modelling, advertising, movies etc The whole size 0 thing. Even woman believe this crap when a mens mag showing woman in bikinis are given top shelf and black bagged, yet normal woman mags still have those photo shopped models with perfect looks etc.

I guess there is only one thing you can get out of this. Men dont care about age or looks. Grizzled or muscly or thin - men dont care. Men like sexy woman. Woman like strong sexy men. Same reason will woman play a game staring a 80 year old male? Its a non issue in my book. Make a compelling fun game where the character is a 60 year old woman, then i will play it. But also find me a woman that would play as a 60 year old and not a sexy 20 year old.

Maybe the issue is woman have been brainwashed by advertising to look young and sexy. By make up, music videos, adverts and models etc Not saying its right or wrong. Just thats how it is.

What do woman on escapist think?
'Women have been brain washed' isn't a fair statement at all, it's more like 'Women have acknowledged that the path set before them has been laden with obstacles that are nearly impossible for them to overcome unless they conform.' We're not STUPID. We know what's happening, and alot of us are rather fed up with it but lack the power and voice to penetrate the anti sound walls of men and women completely complacent with this system because it's what they're used to and comfortable with.

I would totally play an old/unattractive woman. I know I'm gonna age one day, the 'typical girly girl' is a rare thing nowadays, we're just not loud enough yet.

I think that this is a game forum and ...that's the angle we're working on. And yes Jim just covers it from a gaming perspective, but then there's indie... and art, and still none of them have tackled that issue, where as other 'industries' swathed as they are by the corporate mindset of sexualizing girls and women to the point is sickening. There are alternatives in many scenes and places.

Women in gaming are not demanding that the boobs and ass go away, we want our men to have a good time too and...well if that's what you like, you should be able to enjoy yourself too. So stop misconstruing intent. Variety is what we want, strong women who are as diversely characterized and appearances based on how other women besides the privileged, appear.
We'd like the ratio of catering to be maybe moved over to 1:9 instead of 0.1/9.9. Just a little bit, enough to have maybe some wacky indie gamers finally make like a Kung Fu Grandma or something. Or a thicker looking girl, pushing her way through a horror game un-ironically.

I think that little game on PS3 'Fat Princess' was one of the few examples I could think of off the top of my head, and she's not really 'the main character'. Not really, she's probably the face of the game, and a morally questionable entitled ***** making her minions carry her about and feed her cake. But she's teetering on the edge.

Bodster

Sep 30, 2013
Having gone back and thought on it again, still going with

Mitsuko from Bloody Roar (heavy type fighter and transforms into a boar, fighting for her kid's safety, no mention of husband or the father at all).

Maybe Spartan 458 from Dead or Alive 4, but hard to tell under that armour, though it certainly doesn't add to an "appeal" factor save for a disembodied voice accompanying the moveset.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, but she's still got the whole smooth skin, slender body thing. I think Jim's point was that you don't see any female protagonists that look like the amazons from Futurama. A better example you could've brought up from Chrono Trigger would've been Ayla.
Are you kidding? Ayla? Ayla is probably the sexiest-designed character in that entire game. Blonde hair, curvaceous figure, and she wears an animal-fur bikini. Not to mention how "bouncy" her animations are.

The Amazons from Futurama, for that matter, weren't universally ugly. Most of them were as attractive as any other Futurama female, they just happened to be 15 feet tall. That's why Zap and Fry are both thrilled and terrified when their sentence comes down as "DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO!!!!" :p

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Vertigo

Let's look for a playable woman protagonist in a videogame that doesn't rely on the same pool of restrictive stereotypes as every other playable woman protagonist.

Watch Video
What about shale from Dragon age: origins

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Shale

She is a playable character, not attractive by any means (unless you have a thing for golems)and has her own unique agenda,is defiantly strong willed, and a unique combat style to the other companions.

"Now, let us crush something soft and watch it fountain blood. That is a girlish thing to want to do, yes?"

She has non traditional motives, having volunteered to become a golem, due to the fact she was a proud dwarf, eager to serve he nation, a hate of darkspawn and values physical strength over all else. It can even be argued she is a evil character. She is xenophobic, only loyal to the dwarf kingdom and has no empathy to any human characters you meet in your travels. She also takes delight in killing weaker foes favoring violence in resolving conflict, purely so she can crush the weak.

Also, she isn't dependent on the protagonist, often expressing her disapproval at helping the weak and not carrying on with the task at hand. She even turns on you (tries to kill you), if you make a decision conflicting with her beliefs, by siding with branka in the anvil of the void quest.

Wynn isn't traditionally attractive either, but not as good of a example as shale. To be honest though, I would have to think hard and long to find another playable female character who meets the criteria, as described in the video.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Charli said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Still dont get why this is a "game" issue. Look at modelling, advertising, movies etc The whole size 0 thing. Even woman believe this crap when a mens mag showing woman in bikinis are given top shelf and black bagged, yet normal woman mags still have those photo shopped models with perfect looks etc.

I guess there is only one thing you can get out of this. Men dont care about age or looks. Grizzled or muscly or thin - men dont care. Men like sexy woman. Woman like strong sexy men. Same reason will woman play a game staring a 80 year old male? Its a non issue in my book. Make a compelling fun game where the character is a 60 year old woman, then i will play it. But also find me a woman that would play as a 60 year old and not a sexy 20 year old.

Maybe the issue is woman have been brainwashed by advertising to look young and sexy. By make up, music videos, adverts and models etc Not saying its right or wrong. Just thats how it is.

What do woman on escapist think?
'Women have been brain washed' isn't a fair statement at all, it's more like 'Women have acknowledged that the path set before them has been laden with obstacles that are nearly impossible for them to overcome unless they conform.' We're not STUPID. We know what's happening, and alot of us are rather fed up with it but lack the power and voice to penetrate the anti sound walls of men and women completely complacent with this system because it's what they're used to and comfortable with.

I would totally play an old/unattractive woman. I know I'm gonna age one day, the 'typical girly girl' is a rare thing nowadays, we're just not loud enough yet.

I think that this is a game forum and ...that's the angle we're working on. And yes Jim just covers it from a gaming perspective, but then there's indie... and art, and still none of them have tackled that issue, where as other 'industries' swathed as they are by the corporate mindset of sexualizing girls and women to the point is sickening. There are alternatives in many scenes and places.

Women in gaming are not demanding that the boobs and ass go away, we want our men to have a good time too and...well if that's what you like, you should be able to enjoy yourself too. So stop misconstruing intent. Variety is what we want, strong women who are as diversely characterized and appearances based on how other women besides the privileged, appear.
We'd like the ratio of catering to be maybe moved over to 1:9 instead of 0.1/9.9. Just a little bit, enough to have maybe some wacky indie gamers finally make like a Kung Fu Grandma or something. Or a thicker looking girl, pushing her way through a horror game un-ironically.

I think that little game on PS3 'Fat Princess' was one of the few examples I could think of off the top of my head, and she's not really 'the main character'. Not really, she's probably the face of the game, and a morally questionable entitled ***** making her minions carry her about and feed her cake. But she's teetering on the edge.
Thing you forget is, even old snake isnt ugly. An again its a character based on a multi million selling game. You could release an older Tomb Raider and it would sell due to the game. Men and woman are sexualised. An thats goes to advertising and girl/male mags. Your confusing what should be and not what is. Men are scene as young and muscly - look at movies and boy bands. Women are seen as sexy and young....look at movies and girl bands. Even older actors and singers are still young looking - both male and female. Just how life is.

For me, i take a character as they are. Dont care. As long as the game is fun. The whole game thing isnt an issue. The overly muscly strong man is a total opposite to me.....doesnt bother me. Same as i dont judge the woman i date by the adverts, mags, singers or game characters i play. Its fantasy. People need to get over it all.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Silent Protagonist said:
Suggestion: Try to come up with some male protagonists that fit Jim's criteria and debunk them like this thread has been doing with possible female character candidates that Jim might have missed. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head. The guys from GTAV don't even fit his criteria. Might be worth a separate thread
But that's kinda the point of what Jim was talking about: the range for male characters is much vaster than the range for female characters. Men can be old, young, grizzled, handsome, out-right pretty, badasses, goody two-shows, neutral, etc. They can have much more diversity in their character models and personalities, where as female playable characters are stuffed into narrow margins.

One of the big requirements that people are missing out with a lot of the suggestions in this thread is that a lot of them are bringing up "good" characters. To be fair, Jim doesn't specifically list in his 3 criteria that he was looking for bad/morally questionable females, but I'm pretty sure he meant to seeing as how that's one of the points he makes at the beginning of the episode (that playable females are almost always one of the good guys), and he also makes it a point to talk about how Vertigo was a wicked beast wanting to enslave the world, pointing out that in Primal Rage Vertigo is one of the "villains" characters you can fight as. And finding an unattractive, "evil", playable, not-motivated-by-man-or-trauma female character is very tricky, implying that almost all female characters that are playable are "good", conventionally attractive, and are motivated by a man or trauma. They almost all fit into that mold, while male characters can be pretty much anything the developer wants them to be.

That said, I have seen some good examples of females that do fit Jim's criteria throughout this topic, but I think the video is more about making the point that the majority of female characters fit into that mold, not challenging us to try and one-up him by coming up with other characters that might meet the criteria of this exercise.
I wasn't trying to disagree with Jim's point that there is a greater range of character traits used for male characters than female characters. I was criticizing his method of making a lengthy and specific list of criteria and then being angry and judgmental that there are so few female characters that meet it when in fact barely any characters regardless of gender meet his requirements. I don't disagree with the sentiment, just the way in which it was delivered.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
You have a surprisingly lovely singing voice, Jim.

Also, y'know? I'd accept attractive if it just meant we could get older. I mean, fer fuck's sake; Jackie Brown is just dying to be the 'inspiration' that a GTA game blatantly rips off.