Jimquisition: Who "Won" The Next-Gen Launch?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm seriously considering on getting a WiiU right now, yes, say whatever you want about "hurr durr, Nintendo only does "remakes" of it's own gaems, hurr durr", and fair enough, those are the only games I'm interested on getting right now, yes, Wind Waker HD is overpriced, but I can and I WANT to buy it and yes, Super Mario 3D World doesn't offer anything we've already seen in other platformers, including Mario Galaxy (wich still looks fantastic in freaking 480p and 60 fps).

But at least, Ninty has had 30 years of refinement and that's more than enough for me, they don't want to make Mario bigger and better, with explosions everywhere or microtransactions, they make a nice platformer with great level design and that's more than enough for me.

Also, yeah, Ninty can use 1080p effortlessly while certain other companies only make excuses that it's only achievable "through the cloud" or some bullshit like that.

And my PC is doing nice and dandy, thanks for asking.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Jennacide said:
I'm still at the stage of being annoyed any time the PS4 and Xbone are refered to as any form of "next-gen" when they aren't even current gen compared to PCs. They still aren't even as powerful as my three year old PC that only cost me $600.
You do know when the term "generation" as it is used to describe video game consoles it has nothing to do with power right? It refers to the fact that since the early days of the industry all the different companies tended to release their new consoles together at around the same time, so each time a new group of consoles was released it's referred to as a new "generation" of consoles. PC gaming doesn't have "generations" because as a whole it moves in small increments rather than large jumps as consoles tend to do.

Also relevant:
Psycho11Edge said:
Also, to people who like to just randomly pop into these conversations to simply say something like "PC gaming master race", shut the fuck up. To anyone on here who simply mentioned that they play PC gaming and are merely making it clear that they don't pay too much attention to consoles, this is not directed towards you. To the ones who do say stuff like that:

1. It makes you sound like a pretentious douche.
2. This is about consoles, not PC's, and most people already know about the PC having a lot of strong points over consoles, however,
3. If you're like me, there's one thing that makes consoles superior. The ability to buy the console, and it will just be there for the next few years. I don't have to replace drivers or update software manually. I love having a PC that says I can run a game, but then can't without an update that I can't get to work. I'd also run the risk of breaking my computer if I tried to mess with anything like graphics cards or anything, since me and computers don't get along.

Seriously, everyone needs to just shut up and play their games and have fun. Doesn't matter on what console you are enjoying them, just do it.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Who won the next gen console launch doesn't matter to me. Just like it didn't matter to me when I finally got my PS3. Or when I finally got my Original Xbox.

And the only reason as to why the last Gen was even exciting for me was not because of the consoles themselves. But the whole Blu-Ray vs HDDVD. And even then that didn't make the winner anymore exciting.

If anything I think I had more fun with my Original Xbox because it played my CDs, DVDs, & Games. My PS3 had the same capabilities. But those capabilities became pointless as a Console Seller if Digital Distribution could easily replace actually owning a Game, Movie, or CD I could trade in.

So my PS3 ended up being purely for games I ended up being angry about that I couldn't modify like they could be on PC. And the excitement of there might not being a 3rd Console Gen Xbox also went away when Sony allowed MS to have Blu-Ray as a function.

So as of this Next Gen Console Launch about who won it, I'd say Me as a Consumer. Because I didn't instantly waste my money on something that was (regardless of better graphics) pretty much the thing I owned already thanks to my Original Xbox. Nor was I easily swayed by gimmicks like Touch Screens or Touch Pads.

Oh.... Wait.... I actually helped fund that thing on Kickstarter that got over 8 million when it promised to allow any game.... Then it retracted that statement so it could be sold at retailers.... And the promise it would come in March for me was delayed until the day after E3. In that time I gained 40Lbs. And when I finally unboxed this thing that didn't need HD, I found out it still needed HDMI.... So it wasn't compatible with my Old TV.... I lost.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, wasn't the Wii U this machine Nintendo apologized for? For utterly failing and having close-to-none 3rd party support? The system that was so terrible they had to release it a year before the Xbox and PS4 just to get a few miserable sales? Now I never got the damned thing, but my roommate did. And he hasn't touched the thing since I think about one month since launch day.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Jim says the PS4 and Xbox-1 are just updates of the current gen models, isn't the same true for Wii U? Except you know...worse?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While I am not personally interested in the Wii U at all, I do agree with what you said about the Xbox One and PS4. They are pretty much a case of paying £350/430 to play the same kind of games as before, but with better graphics. The controllers and interfaces are more or less the same, the business model is the same, the new generation isn't exactly offering anything special just yet.

This is especially more troublesome considering the lack of backwards compatibility as well. I wouldn't really fancy buying a new console, while having to keep hold of my old one just to play a handful of games. I prefer to sell on my older things and put the money towards the replacement.

The PC isn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it suits what I want from gaming right now, so I think I shall just stick with it for the time being.

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
Wii U "surprising newness" with video from mario 64 and Zelda Wind Waker for the gamecube and zombies. Zombies are something new right ? I want what Sterling is smoking pls!

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Exactly. The question you have to ask when getting a console is "will this be any different than my PC with a controller plunged in?" If the answer is no, then there's very little point.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So what tastes worse: chik-fil-a or the Ouya? :p

Anyway I never thought about it before but yeah, you're right. I was pretty excited for the PS4, mind you, but the Wii U was something different. And then thinking back to last gen, I was so hyped for the Wii and what it could bring to gaming. Too bad the Wii never did much with the motion controller and Wii U seems to not be doing much with the tablet.

JokerboyJordan said:
No one can decide which console has "won", as such statements are ridiculous unless you're judging by pure sales.

I'll wait a year and then pick a side, by then the dust will have settled and the hardware defects will be corrected.
A year to correct the hardware defects? Yeah. Tell that to the Xbox 360.

nima55 said:
Exactly. The question you have to ask when getting a console is "will this be any different than my PC with a controller plunged in?" If the answer is no, then there's very little point.
The answer is yes, it is different, because my PC with a controller plugged in can't play Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Metal Gear Solid 4, and whatever all the upcoming PS4 exclusives will be.

You PC master race people sure are weird. Missing out on so many great franchises and games just because of whatever the inane reason of the day is.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Heh. I'm surprised all the little Yahtzites haven't run in here bitching yet about eeeeevil Nintendo getting some props.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
wolf_isthebest said:
Wii U "surprising newness" with video from mario 64 and Zelda Wind Waker for the gamecube and zombies. Zombies are something new right ? I want what Sterling is smoking pls!
It was the way they went about it. Zombie U you were practically helpless, and they made it an actual danger to take the risk and scout for items.

For instance, when you check into a bag using the Wii U gamepad, you sacrifice your ability to see where the Zombies are. You also risk wasting your time. Some bags contain absolutely nothing. Others could contain valuable weapons.

You can't be picky either. Because the next thing you know, your choosing between health suppliment and weapon, and all of a sudden your dead because a zombie ripped your neck out while your scrounging the bag.

It was a new horror (and chilling) horror mechanic that many reviewers whined about.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
The only next gen console I am considering is the Wii U. I am not a fan of shooters.

Having said that, are we really pretending that New Super Mario Bros U isn't just another NSMB game? Are we pretending that 3D World isn't an extension of 3D Land? Mario Kart? Zelda U?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
StormShaun said:
It both sucks and yet not suck since that day is my birthday. Yet EbGames (Gamestop to the US) are willing to place my order back and I am going back there and kick someones teeth in if they want to ruin my birthday.
Wouldn't E.B Games also be E.B Games to the US, seeing as it is an American company?

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
There definitely is more stuff on the Wii U at the moment, unfortunately not enough that I actually care to play all that much. I still have plenty of last gen stuff to play/catch up on.

Most of the newer third party stuff I will get on PC anyway so I'm hoping to upgrade my GPU this holiday. I'll let the PS4 ripen a bit since neither Sony or Microsoft seem to be having issues with a lack of early adopters.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
Heh. I'm surprised all the little Yahtzites haven't run in here bitching yet about eeeeevil Nintendo getting some props.
To call Nintendo evil when compared to MS would have to be some kind of misinformed joke.

Who caused the PC consumers to crap their pants out of fear when releasing a new OS?
MS with Windows 8.

Who makes a second rate hardware that insults its competition?
Apple with its Mac Vs PC.... Oh wait now its MS with its Tablets Vs iPads.

Who sells crap merchandise to offend a Search Engine they can't compete with?
MS selling Scroogle merchandise despite the fact Bing can't do any better.

Who has to retract statements & hardware that are Anti Consumer when called out on it?
MS with the original announcement of Xbox One.

I just find it hard to hate Nintendo when MS will out compete them in evil. In fact Nintendo might come in 3rd.... Oops forgot Ouya.... 4th.... Oops forgot EA.... I'll just say Last when it comes to being Evil.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I've actually been getting more and more interested in the WiiU this past month while my interest in the PS4 has cooled off.
It's basically thanks to Wonderful 101 but still, there are more games I'd like to play coming out (or have come out) on that system, Bayonetta 2, X, Monster Hunter, Mario, and ZombiU looks pretty fun.
As for games on the PS4, I can only think of Infamous and Metal Gear of the top of my head. All the cross platforms I can just get on PC.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
Lol, when Sterling brought up the new contender, I was like "Ohhh yeah!" I forgot about it. Still, there are some good mobile games, Jim, and therefore it could taste better on the Ouya.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Hitchmeister said:
Thank you, Jim Sterling, for reminding me of all the stuff I read months ago about how the poor Wii U's graphics capabilities were so pitiful compared to the hype about the "real" next gen consoles coming up. Well, the "real" consoles are here now and the Wii U isn't looking all that pitiful any more.
Say what? The Wii U has terrible graphics capability, it isn't even close to the PS4 or Xbone, let alone the PC. It is absolutely at the bottom of the pile, graphically speaking.