Jimquisition: Why PC Gaming Gets Away With It

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Instead of making excuses for PC DRM that prevents resell and is dependent on servers being around years from now when you want to play again, we should be making our voices heard against PC DRM too.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I find it astonishing Sterling had to make this video to ...not educate people who don't understand the difference but people who instead are insisting marking write ups are facts, that somehow in the insanity that was the X-180's DRM policy there was positive light because it was "similar to steam".

Whoever defends the X-180 old DRM policies and suggests it's the same as Steam/Origin/Uplay/whatatever else has never used these services and doesn't understand how it works and why it's accepted.

Why would anyone defend DRM being implemented? I ...just can't wrap my head around it. I mean Sony has some form of DRM with their devices, and it manages to be better than what the X180 was and what the WiiU has currently.

Buy a SNES game on your WiiU? You can play it on your WiiU...Then if you want to play it on something else, pay the overpriced title on another device.

Buy a PSOne game on your PS3? Play it on your PS3, PSP, PSV, install it on all of them, go hog wild if you want. Transfer save games between them, no sign ins just register the device. Works preeeeeeeetty well.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I've been saying that one of the major advantages of consoles over the years was the plug in and play aspect. It wasn't something I thought about when growing up, but nowadays, it's sad to have seemingly been lost. Every game system from the PS2 and earlier did not require updates or patches. That was a strength. I really hope console gaming returns to that root. Otherwise, one of the biggest advantages over PC will have been lost.

It's really annoying to have to wait for my game to download, update the system, update the game, and the require an online connection. On a console...

canadamus_prime said:
Man, do I miss the days when I could just pick up and play on my consoles without all the bullshit.
That's something I really hope we get with the PS4, now. Sony seems to have learned a lot from this last generation. So, hopefully, this is something that will be a thing we can enjoy once more. Sit, down, plug in the console, and play a game.

So hopefully less updates to the system. And supposedly, we'll be able to play even while downloading games, so maybe that will translate into playing games even when downloading other things as well. Hopefully.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Akalabeth said:
You're a hypocrite Jim Sterling, and this is the last time I will watch one of your videos.

Because if you actually gave a shit about console gaming and if you actually hold Steam and its ilk with the reverence that you suggest then you would be arguing for the console experience to improve, not to fucking stay the same.

If Microsoft is introducing new steam-like DRM into its console, then argue for the rest of the console experience to be improved to a steam like quality. Argue for better indie games, better prices, better everything.

But all people can do is ***** and complain so this next generation will be the same shit as the last one, 60 dollar games with slightly better graphics.

Congratulations. Your irrational fear has helped to further stagnate what is already a stagnant culture.

Because personally, I like to have a little FAITH in people, in companies, to improve the experience. It's easy to be a naysayer and to ***** and complain for views, but it's hard to actually push for positive change and to keep pushing for it. If Microsoft's plans were not good enough for people to buy the console, then push for them to improve the experience to a point where the plans become irrelevant as opposed to simply doing the unimaginative push for them to go back to status quo.
You are allowed to have as much faith as you want but the reason stuff like this scares people is because companies have already proven that they CAN NOT be trusted with these things besides only about three things in Microsoft's "Future of gaming" would have actually pushed the industry forward the rest would have sent it to the dark ages.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I mean, I like GOG, but it shouldn't be a method to excuse the fact that we have a monopolistic platform on PC as well.
Exactly. GOG shouldn't be used as an excuse for Steam, it should used as a large hammer to beat Valve around the head with.
I like that line of thinking. TO ARMS!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
targren said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Holythirteen said:
Console gamers are running out of excuses to not go PC.
You mean beisdes prohibitive cost?
You can build a middling gaming-PC, on par with console experience, for the same or less than the cost of an XBone.

Or the fact that some of us have an extensive console library already?
Irrelevant. Whether you build a gaming PC or buy the next gen of consoles, you won't be able to play those without the old console you already own.

Or the unspoken guarantee that a game put in a console will work, every time?
Unspoken, and not particularly true.

All that said, I have to disagree with Jim on this one. I know he's more forgiving of PC DRM, but the fact is that Steam is just as bad as Origin in that your only choices are to agree to whatever they might feel like jamming into the TOS, or your library is forfeit (Origin is more obnoxious about this so far, but Steam's done it too). But for some reason he glossed over one of the big arguments against the XBone: anyone with a bad/no internet connection is screwed. Now that you get titles like DX:HR and Borderlands 2 coming with steam even on the physical disc (there are many more examples, those are just the ones I can think of that I wanted but passed on) has those people just as screwed.
My history with PC gaming has not been a nice one, let me tell you.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Yuuki said:
the antithesis said:
Not to mention that you can put together a gaming PC for the price of a console these days.

So consoles don't even have the lower price point to make them attractive.
Far more up-to-date and powerful build for $500 from the same guy:

Lemme know when you've got a setup for under $350.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yep I've always been a PC first console second guy simply because of the freedoms and options I've always had on PC. Most importantly the pricing. Their are literally 100s of games I've bought on pc for less than a quarter of their price on console when the pc version is the better one. Absolute madness.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I was under the impression there was no used game market for PCs because it was all too easy to just buy a game, copy it, then turn it back in, making it so retailers didn't even want to engage in it. Kind of the same reason return policies at major retailers are fairly strict about opened software. Is it just as easy to buy a 360 or PS3 game, copy it, then turn it in at Gamestop?

Actually, that doesn't make sense. Gamestop would still be getting their money, and probably at a faster rate too. I dunno.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
How the hell do I clean it properly?
Get two pieces of clean kitchen roll, separate them and fold each one into squares. Slightly dampen one of the squares, don't over do it. Make sure its damp but not to wet, then wipe over the console cleaning off any marks or fingerprints. Take the dry piece and then buff off any streaks that are left, it should be perfectly clean.

Don't put chemicals or cleaners on it, they leave residues that are hard to remove. Some will damage the plastic too and can leave it looking slight hazy. Clean water and a clean disposable cloth leaves no residue and have no particles trapped in the cloth to scratch the Vita.

A Microfibre cloth can be useful for regular cleaning, embarrassingly I carry one around with me. I hate the way phones and tablets get covered in fingerprints, regular wiping them over keeps them clean.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
LoL

Fanboys can only be fanboys. Especially if it's Xbots.

They're not interested in your rights as a gamer, they don't want to see the bullshit, they just want to defend Microsoft at all cost.

Fact is DRM on PCs is the number one reason that drove me to get a console. I like the option of sharing games, returning them, renting them. I can't do that with PC, and unlike a lot of my friends, I don't like the idea of pirating.

So what? These Xbots are thinking, "Hey if PC gets away with it, why can't Xbone?" Because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. It's like asking "Well in Saudi Arabi, the government can have cutting people's hands off as a form of punishment for theft, why can't we?"

You fucking morons! It's not a good thing!

LoL. Okay! Comparing DRMs to that form of punishment is not very fair, but what's accurate about it is it's a form of punishment that should be done away with simply. It's the biggest disadvantages of owning a PC that drives people like me to console. And I'd like for consoles to stay that way. I don't want to be punished on my console as I have been on my PC. I just don't!

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well yeah.

Maybe it's because I'm a PC gamer and have little to do with consoles, but I thought much of this episode was obvious too, I did see people bringing the argument up and expected an episode in response but it is still very surprising to me that people had to be told.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Yuuki said:
the antithesis said:
Not to mention that you can put together a gaming PC for the price of a console these days.

So consoles don't even have the lower price point to make them attractive.
Far more up-to-date and powerful build for $500 from the same guy:

It's still not pitching all that good of a gaming rig. The ps4 is shaping up to be a lot more powerful than the $500 system and for $400. The ps4 has found a kind of sweet spot for the price and convenience. Though this guy did pretty darn well on that price point.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Lightknight said:
It's still not pitching all that good of a gaming rig. The ps4 is shaping up to be a lot more powerful than the $500 system and for $400. The ps4 has found a kind of sweet spot for the price and convenience. Though this guy did pretty darn well on that price point.
Two things:

- You are comparing two machines that have more than 9 months of difference in hitting the market. Not sure if that even makes any sense.

- While you technically don't own the BIOS for a PC or a PS. On PC you can mod it and have different options, the PS 3 taught us that you only own the metal and plastic in the machine and Sony is willing to take away sale features that they deem useless (linux) and sue modders. At the current technology rate it seems probable that you will be able to build a machine on par with the PS 4 for $500-$550 USD in the US, I would consider that $100 buck difference the price of owning and not leasing the hardware.

That said I might buy a PS4 because fucking Capcom forces the fighting community to stay on consoles.