Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Calibanbutcher said:
For MY taste?
What did I do?

BTW: Already got myself some popcorn, mai-tais and chips.
This is gonna be good.
I was referring to all of us consol peasants. I shall grab the pitch forks to defend ourselves.
Waait.
The evil mob usually has the pitchforks.
OH GOD YOU'RE ONE OF THEM.
Quick, someone get me my Broken Butterfly.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

There was once a time when consoles had something that PCs didn't have. They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient. They dominated the market because they dominated our need to be lazy and catered to. Then this generation happened.

Watch Video
This Jim, is precisely why I love you and why you are my new favourite person on the internet. Many of us have been saying this for quite some time, but it's funny how people wont listen unless you've got some "cred".

The only reason I have a PS3 is because Kojima made a MGS game. Aside from that, I literally cannot think of any reason why I would buy games for it that I couldn't get on my PC.

A good example of what you were talking about would be Skyrim. When that game came out, consoles had a hard time with lost saves, poor performance etc. Any problems that existed on the PC version I didn't notice, why? Because someone had a fix for it somewhere on the internet almost as soon as the game went live.

Prefer consoles all you want for their supposed simplicity, but PC gamers don't have to deal with corporate bullshit. Somewhere out there, for anything, someone has a work around, fix or mod that fits your needs.

Also kudos for showing Tribes when you mentioned free online games. Have you given Blacklight Retribution a try? It's not bad.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I recently just got a PS3. I've been a PC gamer for years, but my wife wanted a HD console to go with our new TV. Fair enough, went with a PS3 because it had the exclusive games that i wanted to play.

Holy crap, is it a mess. The games are fine, but Sony's store is terrible. Perhaps i'm just used to steam, but when i download a game (or even just a demo), wait 10+ minutes for the demo to install, then find out i have to download and install another patch for the DEMO, all i can think is "What the Fuck??". (how's that for a run-on?)

Just yesterday, i downloaded the demo for wipeout HD. It's a digital demo from Sony's own store. Downloaded the gigabyte file, and it took 10 minutes to install. Then i try to run it. Nope, PSN says that i need version 1.01, so i have to download 6 additional patches and install them.

Fix the copy on the main server!!!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I love Morrowind, on the xbox it was hard to get into, very hard. But the game was awesome. I love it. On PC, you mod it to death and it loses what it is. Its to easy to click god mode and the game is ruined. Not saying we would all do this, just if you replayed the same part of a game 5 times, you would click god mood just to get past that area and continue with the story. My time with Morrowind on xbox was awesome, Morrowind on the PC wasnt as interesting at all.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Also kudos for showing Tribes when you mentioned free online games. Have you given Blacklight Retribution a try? It's not bad.
I love Blacklight. Reviewed it for Destructoid, put it on par with the best this generation's shooters have to offer. It's pretty much my basis for realizing that the $60 + DLC model is going to be humiliated in a matter of years.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
This video is kinda pointless for someone who was a PC gamer to begin with, and always have been.
But thanks Jim for voicing what i always knew.....PC > Consoles

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Prefer consoles all you want for their supposed simplicity, but PC gamers don't have to deal with corporate bullshit. Somewhere out there, for anything, someone has a work around, fix or mod that fits your needs.
As long as the game is popular enough. "For anything" just isn't true. :|

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.

BooTsPs3

Feb 2, 2011
Honestly i have to agree with this. I've felt this way too recently. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC so i can game on it because of bad business models on consoles. Sure the ps3 is great for its uncharteds and its ratchet and clanks and final fantasies, but the business model is disgraceful. Either you pay $60 for an incomplete game that will be patched/get dlc later or you buy pre owned and are "killing the industry". Look at steam, it sells cheaply and has sales all of the time. I see offers on steam like every GTA in one bundle for ?10, but on PSN games that are released new cost fucking ?69.99! That's ?20 more than it costs to buy in a shop, where less money goes to the dev and you can trade it in if you are not satisfied.

But as for the problems with console exclusives, 360 and ps3 emulation are getting pretty good lately on PC. And with the next gen consoles having less of a gap from last gen to this gen i can see fully working emulation happening in the first 3 years of next gen.

The only real advantage i can see with consoles is local multiplayer, but very few games support than now, so it is mostly an advantage for the wii. I find playing the wii with friends to be much more fun than playing ps3/360 with friends because of this.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Limitless free games (the legal kind, you filthy pirate) and mods that turn great games into year long orgasms of greatness make PCs better than any console. No need to argue anything more.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
While I usually agree with Jim here I must respectfully disagree, at least on the surface. The thing is the negatives that consoles have gotten from pc gaming are really just the problems with the games industry that we've all been over before. Since consoles are static and extremely brand controlled they're easier to control though. None of the problems here are inherent in consoles, the games industry simply doesn't know when to cut the shit.

Another thing is that despite how convoluted they've gotten I still say they're much easier to work with than a pc. Yes MGS4 may have taken forever to install but all I had to do to install it was press a preselected button. PCs despite their growing convenience are still very do it yourself. While pc enthusiasts might be all for it, maintaining and updating and editing plenty of people are not. I recently downloaded Morrowind and it took me four hours to get running because of a massive amount of compatibility issues that I had to search online for multiple answers for. While I could plug in my ps3 controller it's all for nought because my pc doesn't recognise it and I have to go searching for obscure programs and youtube tutorials to make it even work. Then there's the fact that controllers simply don't have enough buttons or some pc games, and after that the fact that while I could use a ps3 controller while playing tf2 it would be stupid to do so because mice are infinitely better for shooters and I'd get royally screwed. Consoles are getting pretty shitty and inefficient, but they still aren't the most inefficient.

Also Monster Energy is clearly superior to that pathetic milk and juice and water garbage everybody keeps pestering me about.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
I love Morrowind, on the xbox it was hard to get into, very hard. But the game was awesome. I love it. On PC, you mod it to death and it loses what it is. Its to easy to click god mode and the game is ruined. Not saying we would all do this, just if you replayed the same part of a game 5 times, you would click god mood just to get past that area and continue with the story. My time with Morrowind on xbox was awesome, Morrowind on the PC wasnt as interesting at all.
But that is your fault not the fault of PC's. How many old consoles games had cheats that allowed you to do the same thing? Not to mention some mods are awesome, case in point is dayZ and that is on its way to becoming a stand alone game.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I fully expect an animated GIF of Jim's exercise regime to be somebody's forum avatar by the end of the week...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
gphjr14 said:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.
But you don't. Buy a mid range rig and it'll vastly outperform the current gen consoles

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I wouldn't say consoles start as very crap PCs. Most of their launches, I'll admit, are rather decent because of the launch titles that invite the consumer to try it out with few hassles.

No. I'd say that most consoles are now trying to be like PCs. With updates, patches, online, etc., but don't do it quite as well because they're usually closed platforms bound to a corporation. PCs, on the other hand, are open and the owners of games are free to do whatever they want with their game.
Maybe they didn't start out as crap PCs once upon a time, but these days? Yeah, I have a feeling the next PS and Xbox will do the PC thing.

And I'm inclined to wonder why I even bother with consoles anymore.

Oh yeah, it's what my friends play. Most of them don't have gaming rigs.

That's it. Right now, that is the ONLY reason I have,

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
For me, at this stage the only tangible benefits to my consoles are the occasional exclusive that's any good (I've recently gotten into the Ratchet and Clank series on my PS3), and that for now I can still trade in my old games that I either don't want any more or failed to meet expectations, or buy super cheap versions of old games that I can't get new any more (that's how I got into R&C in the first place). Having said that, between GoG and Steam, I can get super cheap prices through the sales, and companies are trying their damnedest to stop me trading in the old stuff...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hazy992 said:
gphjr14 said:
But you don't. Buy a mid range rig and it'll vastly outperform the current gen consoles
And it'll probably outperform the next gen at launch. or be VERY close. At launch. A console needs a life cycle of several years.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The one advantage consoles have over the PC is the one publishers don't want it to have. Gamestop.