Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
The opening to this video is very similar to the opening of the Zero Punctuation for Aliens: Colonial Marines; anyone else notice that? I love it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MisterColeman said:
I watch sports in a bar or at a friend's. I don't play CoD. I also do not have a subscription to TV, and frankly I don't even like dogs. I play video and board games.

Clearly, as a gamer, I'm not their target demographic.
Just a side note, the entire group of people I play CoD with has more or less decided they're getting Ghosts for the 360. And that was before the reveal.

I wonder if even the CoD market is going to buy into the new generation.

Maybe we're not dudebro enough to be typical for their market, I don't know.

Mar 19, 2010
Well I do not care for the XBOX but it is kind of hard to avoid if you follow game news sites. And from what i have learned today is that the XBOX ONE will suck big time. They took all the worst DRM policies and focused on all the wrong things. From what i heard they basically want to sell really restricted PC with Microsoft version of steam on it. It looks really bad.

Glad i am a PC fanboy.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Miscrosoft's plot all along was to actually make the wiiU and PS4 look good by comparison... I can't imagine they had any other motive at all from what I saw.

But Jim! THE EMOTION!!! That dog is EMOTION!! It craps EMOTION! It's feces Spell out EMOTION! Emotion Emotion Emotion Emotion.

Mar 26, 2008
Wow, for a rant that was incredibly well informed and rational. You put all my fears into a far more cogent argument. The PS4 looks uninspiring and the Xbox One just baffling in its extending of the middle finger to its existing fanbase. It's enough to draw me back into PC gaming, which is something I never thought I'd say again.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i wonder if sony is celebrating right now, nintendos console has very few games worth buying the console for and the new xbox is getting nothing but hate. seems like in this new generation, sony will either completely dominate the market, or console gamers will start swarming to PCs. but i wouldnt be surprised if things change. i feel like microsoft would be getting about a hundred times less criticism if they just dialed back their policy on used games. most gamers would probably still not be that excited, but at least they wouldnt be ready to burn the xbox one at the stake.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
So everything the PC does and has been doing anyway. FOR YEARS !!! Its always been my one stop hub for entertainment. Streaming/Downloading shows and movies. Music, And games are far better on PC not only due to graphics but gameplay and life span, and the added community and mods. I mean look at Counter-Strike, over a decade old still going strong and full of mods and maps NOT CHARGED as DLC. Looks at TeamFortress 2. FREE UPDATES and game mods and maps.

Ive never had more reason to be happy and smug im a pc gamer where games are cheaper, better, and have a longer life span then untill the next sequal(slighty updated) game comes out.

PC FOR LIFE. Or Snes ^.^

SteveoTheBeveo

Oct 9, 2012
All I can say is if E3 doesn't impress me, then I am just straight up switching to PC gaming only. No two ways about it; the next gen consoles are going to blow hard. That much is obvious.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Right now, unless Microsoft reveals that this was just a huge prank and reveals what the next Xbox is actually called and can do at E3 they can burn in hell.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Wow, what with this video and the news coming out that Xbone won't support SDTVs it really IS like they're pandering exclusively to wealthy people.

Everything about this release seems like the opposite of what I want. I like buying pre-owned games and feeling like I got a bargain. I like knowing I can play my console when the internet goes out. If I wanted an always-online machine that has multiple functions plus also games I'd buy a computer. Oh wait--I already have a computer.

Companies' vendetta against pre-owned games seems silly to me. I understand why they don't like them but buying pre-owned is an inevitability. It breaks down somewhat when you factor in digital downloads but regarding physical copies, you can't keep producing them forever. Eventually, all games will be pre-owned.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
It not allowing resale of products. Is that not against the law in the EU?

I seem to remember that a couple of years back the EU passed a bill that required the Resale of digital products.

I may be wrong here but if the xbone doesn't allow that it could face problems in the European countries completely?

Thus eliminating some 500 million people... a very large market?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Well... I know what I'm doing next gen. Good thing I upgraded my PC.

I'm not buying the same game twice though (i.e. Skyrim), fuck all that. Even if the PC versions do have access to a fuckton of delicious looking mods.

Query: Hey someone: other than Steam, what's a good game site that has a decent catalog?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Was looking for your input Jim so thanks for doing a video about this.

I'll stick to my trusty PC that hasn't failed me yet and I congrats for the people that have decided to go the PS4 route instead of succumbing to Microsoft's bs.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Here is the entire problem summed up in a single sentence: Microsoft is screwing themselves over by trying to make a console that ISN'T focused on videogames.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Xbox One's showcase wasn't a reveal of a new console.

It's the ritualistic suicide of Microsoft's gaming division.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I don't want any of the new consoles. They all look awful to me. I'll continue with PC, since that seems to be what Microsoft and the others wants me to do. I'd rather buy a 3DS for next generation, if this is how it's going to continue. XD Though PS3 has a few cool exclusives which I haven't played yet.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Well, I am willing to give them a bit to sort out the Online requirement and used game business. Similar to mainstream media, game journalists(I am not including Jim in this instance) are very quick to jump on the 'news' that will get the most hits not necessarily the most accurate news.

It is the fault of MS that they seem to not be able to give a straight answer at first, but when you have articles jumping immediately onto the "Xbone fee for used games" and "Xbone must have connected once in a 24 hour period" without actually confirming it just leads to the mess of clashing information that is going on right now. Even if MS issued an ironclad statement on both of those particular issues, people will still be talking about the inaccurate info all day long.

For example, MajorNelson stated "...today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. " but I have hardly seen that going about at all.

I just want to be clear, I am NOT with MS on this one(hehe), but I think it is also an indication of the issues we have in the gaming community and journalism as well. It seems like no matter what they would have announced there would have been noticeable stomping and moaning because many people were simply preparing to hate it rather than hate it for what it is(which there are plenty of reasons to). As much as I love Halo, if Xbone does indeed crash and burn, hey then that means there is a larger chance of the titles getting released on PC.

Honestly, I hope MS does find a separate niche. Nintendo already seems to have done so, the lack of a traditional E3 conference being one recent indication and just how they have handled the Wii and Wii U. They don't have to get into big willy measuring contest with the other companies, they can just do their own thing and do it well.

Despite the HUGE degree of cynicism that pervades the gaming community, I am actually optimistic. What I have seen is more of a trend towards a much larger variety in business models and pricing. I am not worried about DRM and such things because I am also seeing that there are plenty of alternatives on the horizon.

People constantly talk about the game industry crashing, I don't see that happening at all, I imagine we will see a large rifting in the industry where people can look for an experience that works for them rather than simply picking between 3 outlets for what is being produced out of the industry as a whole.

Lenderian

Aug 18, 2009
Laughing Man said:
WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!
Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?
Additionally Alan wake isn't a Xbox exclusive its multi-platform last I checked existing on the pc aswell.(posted in this reply since the original reply isn't available for quoting

and yes console isn't cheap if you are forced to buy new games 100% of the time those prices really add up to the point of being unaffordable cutting out a point of savings isn't exactly good for any but the richest of your userbase